Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

1 minute ago, Ultimate Victory 64 said:

Ok I need to know. Is this series connected to the games or not?

The games are connected to the game if you want = Lost Hex, Arc are referenced

But the comics are not connected to the game = Tangle not referenced for example.

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

Uh, spoiler, even if we assumed that would be the case.

Sorry I clicked on quote instead of spoiler.

Fixed.

So

Given the last page, this story has the potential to go in a really interesting direction. I hope it goes into that direction

2 hours ago, Ultimate Victory 64 said:

It's a one-sided connection. 

As far as we've been told and seen so far, virtually everything in the gameverse has happened in the comic's universe. I think Ian's said that things haven't necessarily happened exactly the same, but up until now we don't know of any differences. Conversely, the games will never ever ever ever EVER reference comic-exclusive stories, characters, or concepts. Probably

Look closer

Spoiler

There are red cubes when Eggman lands on the village, he is a phantom ruby projection, but I really like this twist, this direction. Plus they broke the pace and formula by having all these characters. Nice! I knew the comic would pick up steam! Next time it's gonna be great with this morality Shadow lacks, the direction is really interesting!

5 hours ago, Ultimate Victory 64 said:

A version of the games happened, but this is a new world.

16 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

So, what are your thoughts on Issue 5?

Spoiler

It's mindfuck! So many questions

It was fine. Nothing amazing, but definitely a step up from the first four issues. Things actually seem to be going somewhere now. 

Spoiler

"Mr. Tinker" is too pure.

• Thumbs Up 2

Let's start with most important thing: We need adventures of Omega, Big and Charmy written by Ian Flynn. It's incredible what he does to Sonic least popular characters (from recurring cast anyway). This

Spoiler

x_by_zizum-dccz8wm.png

is too adorable.

But begrudgingly moving to the topic of the story.

1) Overall it's good, not great, but step in right direction. story finally moves forward. Chaotix don't get as much love as previous characters (especially Vector), but one issue, 3 characters, it's understandable.

2) Screw the Roll Cast if we name them anyway. "Previously" is kinda worthless too and I don't know why it takes so much space, when Archie fitted both in one page. Finally, when character is introduced, they use this "Sonic advance" font. Cute idea, but it looks terrible. Look at Vector font, it blends with background. There is a reason we use caption boxes and word balloons.

3) Eggman

Spoiler

has amnesia and is a nice "Mr Tinker". Old plot, but Flynn & Yardley manage to make it feel fresh. I'm not sure where it's going, but I sure hope he's not faking it.

4) Last page

Spoiler

has Shadow wanting to murder Eggman. At first I rolled my eyes. Silly misunderstanding , Shadow doesn't know Eggman is good now, what lame plot. But now I'm guessing that Shadow either 1 already knows 2 will listen what Sonic has to say. And then he will go for the kill anyway, cause Eggman went a too far. That's actually neat plot, good use of Shadow gray morality (assuming I'm right). Of course it all will depend how fight will go. It will be interrupted with no clear winner,  I just know it will. I just hope it will last a second and look cool. Poor Rouge, still demoted to a sidekick.

5) Lastly I wish there was slightly less nostalgia wank. Single panel where Sonic lists emeralds/hex/arc/etc is funny. Full page wasted on showing Eggman previous scenes could been used on something else. I already seen Egg Viper when you did similar thing in issue 1.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, eventually, no matter the case, Eggman will inevitability revert back into the goofball villain that we know and love to hate. You know how much SEGA loves their status quo.

16 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Poor

Rouge, still demoted to a sidekick.

Given that she doesn't even say anything and just stands there looking angry does give off the impression that she might just be Sahdow's sidekick again. Though, many people thought Tangle would overshadow Blaze, so maybe Ian might surprise us and have Rouge not be bogged down by Shadow too much.

6 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Eggman will inevitability revert back into the goofball villain that we know and love to hate.

And That's A Good Thing™.

Spoiler

Actually, there's that one panel where Eggman's knocked out and he's surrounded by those little Phantom Ruby cubes. Maybe it's not really Eggman, but some Phantom Ruby illusion bullshit? 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Ivo the Coldsteel said:

And That's A Good Thing™.

Hide contents

Actually, there's that one panel where Eggman's knocked out and he's surrounded by those little Phantom Ruby cubes. Maybe it's not really Eggman, but some Phantom Ruby illusion bullshit? 

Maybe it's just like the thing with the cartoon birds flying around a head and isn't supposed to be literal?

9 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Well, eventually, no matter the case, Eggman will inevitability revert back into the goofball villain that we know and love to hate. You know how much SEGA loves their status quo.

Of course things have to go back to normal, but at least they're able to do things like this at all. It's interesting while it lasts.

That was really surprising. For the first time in a very long time, ever since the pre-reboot Mecha Sally arc I got curious to see what's next.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

Team Dark were in charge of subterfuge in Forces, I think it's pretty obvious they have intel that the others don't. 

I almost get the impression Ian's sort of been told to restrain Vector when it comes to comedy, because he really had one moment where he took part in goofy slapstick (Charmy being like "I told you so!" and him getting angry at that), when pre-reboot he was an outright butt monkey, and post-reboot he was still mined for comedy plenty. Fits with the direction Vector took post-Colours.

But enough about intentional choices

40650910160_1a9efa4f52_b.jpg

Here's the unintentional.

Spoiler

If this "Mr. Tinker" is indeed a clone, I hope he sticks around as his own character, sorta like IDW's version of Dr. Kintobor.

• Thumbs Up 1

I liked it.  Nothing too out of this world, but I really love the premise.  Chaotix weren't their usual, comedy fuelled selves, but I'm happy they're here so early.  That said, I really don't want most of the next issue to go through the motions again with another Sonic and Shadow fight to add to the record books.  Unfortunately though...

I beginning to think the "hidden villain" really is just Eggman and Mr Tinker (who's sweeter an idea than it has any right to be) is, as theorised, just some Infinite replica.  Hoping it's not as obvious a curve ball as that, but it's looking like it.

Well Eggman has amnesia...what else though?

Some of the faces in this were wth...actually.

1 hour ago, QuantumEdge said:

I liked it.  Nothing too out of this world, but I really love the premise.  Chaotix weren't their usual, comedy fuelled selves, but I'm happy they're here so early.  That said, I really don't want most of the next issue to go through the motions again with another Sonic and Shadow fight to add to the record books.  Unfortunately though...

Reveal hidden contents

I beginning to think the "hidden villain" really is just Eggman and Mr Tinker (who's sweeter an idea than it has any right to be) is, as theorised, just some Infinite replica.  Hoping it's not as obvious a curve ball as that, but it's looking like it.

Yeah, I'm not really expecting anything too surprising as far as this mystery villain goes. 

Spoiler

If it's not Eggman himself (and Ian said in the interview it'd be a "new antagonistic force" or something to that effect, so maybe Tinker is the real Eggman?), I'm betting on it being Metal Sonic. The blue-ish font and references to elements of Heroes (traditional Egg Pawns rather than Forces ones, the appearance of the Egg Fleet on a cover) seem to suggest that.

Finally tracked down the issue.

Spoiler

Barely any Vector in this.

I wonder if Charmy spotting Mystery Monster's Egg Flapper camera when he did was meant to reference his sixth sense-like tracking.

Probably a good thing it's just Shadow and not Omega, otherwise the next issue might just end before it begins.

1 hour ago, Ivo the Coldsteel said:

Hide contents

If it's not Eggman himself (and Ian said in the interview it'd be a "new antagonistic force" or something to that effect, so maybe Tinker is the real Eggman?), I'm betting on it being Metal Sonic. The blue-ish font and references to elements of Heroes (traditional Egg Pawns rather than Forces ones, the appearance of the Egg Fleet on a cover) seem to suggest that.

Spoiler

IIRC Ian mentioned, on his podcast, that he wanted all the badniks to be in line with Forces but SEGA stepped in with some silly design mandates. So I wouldn't take all the Heroes touches as a serious indicator of Metal.