Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

1 minute ago, Shadowlax said:

I think it would benefit both parties if they hung out with other folks and did their own thing. Though given sega seems to have uh a lot more involvement in this comic I doubt this will happen now

Really, most of the characters would benefit from unusual pairings and mix ups. I'm letting the typical status quo slide myself right now because were still being introduced, but team ups like Shadow and Knuckles or Knuckles and Amy from the end of the Archie are just the tip of the iceberg for me. Show me Tails and Rogue on  hack and heist team up or maybe Blaze and Charmy stuck together for whatever reason. Just mix it up even if Sonic has to stat as the focus.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 2

4 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

Really, most of the characters would benefit from unusual pairings and mix ups. I'm letting the typical status quo slide myself right now because were still being introduced, but team ups like Shadow and Knuckles or Knuckles and Amy from the end of the Archie are just the tip of the iceberg for me. Show me Tails and Rogue on  hack and heist team up or maybe Blaze and Charmy stuck together for whatever reason. Just mix it up even if Sonic has to stat as the focus.

I agree.

I don't think any real mix ups will happen, until there is a 2nd book. And even then its weary because part of the reasons they have these set teams in the first place is that some characters are more popular than others. The popular ones tend to get to mix it up more than the less popular ones ,  and even the popular ones don't get to mix it up often. One of the things I always wanted to see was team dark and the FF hang out. Never got to happen. Oh well

Well the FF/Team Dark pair up could still one day happen, just what form it would take is impossible to say. Hopefully though we won't need a second book and just reach year 2 to see some fun mix-ups start coming together.

Call me on the more cynical end of this. I just don't think there will be much mixing anything up, unless other characters are constantly around untill there's another book to specifically focus on those characters. Or book(s) 

Also I don't think the freedom fighters are coming back period. I think folks are always gonna be told soon and maybe one day, and you will easter eggs. And that will be it. I just been around this block before with other franchises and comics. And I think they are done. But maybe i'm wrong

It'd be a shame if that's their fate. In a post Forces world I think they actually have a lot to add. Of course with the Resistance still around still I also think that Sticks would be  fun informant for Amy.

Still, I get your cynicism. Unfortunately it's not my first trip around the block either.

• Nice Smile 1

Keep in mind that Ian did say that he would have as much (if not more) creative freedom as before.

Just now, RedFox99 said:

Keep in mind that Ian did say that he would have as much (if not more) creative freedom as before.

1. Creative freedom is broad and could apply to some ideas not others
  2. That changes at the whim of the brand owner
  3. I kinda don't believe him, and will see when I see 

Speaking of which, that's a story or few I'd like to see at some point--a Team Rose story with Sticks as #3.

Takin a risk here, I know.

• Thumbs Up 3

6 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Speaking of which, that's a story or few I'd like to see at some point--a Team Rose story with Sticks as #3.

Takin a risk here, I know.

Truth be told, I think replacing Big with Sticks could create an interesting parallel between Team Rose and Team Sonic:

Amy - Sonic

Cream - Tails

Sticks - Knuckles

1 minute ago, RedFox99 said:

Truth be told, I think replacing Big with Sticks could create an interesting parallel between Team Rose and Team Sonic:

Amy - Sonic

Cream - Tails

Sticks - Knuckles

That's the obvious, broad strokes, "publicity" friendly approach, yes.

It'd also capitalize on about one of the bigger appeals to having Sticks immigrate to the main series in the most immediately pressing way.

29 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Do you guys really think that he would tell the truth? That's basic PR.

"Oh, hello guys, I have more news for the comics! So, yeah, here is a public announcement: I will have less freedom because the executives are on my feet! What a pain in my ass, no?"

• My Emmerdoods 1

I'd love to have a second book! Like Sonic Universes. One month is too much for me to wait, so might as well have 2 books monthly 😛

• Fist Bump 3

If they're going to do two books though they need to make sure it's in a staggered release schedule. After opening with weekly releases going to monthly hurts so bad XD I could definitely live with a book every other week though. Here's hoping for that successful of a future for the IDW comic.

• Thumbs Up 2

46 minutes ago, Korke said:

Do you guys really think that he would tell the truth? That's basic PR.

"Oh, hello guys, I have more news for the comics! So, yeah, here is a public announcement: I will have less freedom because the executives are on my feet! What a pain in my ass, no?"

Well, I see where you're coming from, but why would he go that fair in reassuring the fans? 

He was allowed to change Eggman's costume though.

Usually it's forbidden to change costumes for the main characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Well, I see where you're coming from, but why would he go that fair in reassuring the fans? 

If he said he had less freedom, that wouldn't be good for him. He's not supposed to complain and say bad things about the one that he's working with. I'm sure he has some more creative freedom, but we don't know for sure, since SEGA's more involved.

1 minute ago, Marco9966 said:

He was allowed to change Eggman's costume though.

Usually it's forbidden to change costumes for the main characters.

1. That mandate was gone near the end of Archie, as the Chaotix are shown wearing different clothes for a panel or two.
2. If the mandate WAS still in place for this, remember that there's a chance that it's not the REAL Eggman, so they got around it using a clone.

I think mandates are good to avoid excessive romance drama and french kissing.

I think mandates are good to avoid excessive romance drama and french kissing.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

I don't think Ian is a liar. Let me get this clear first. 

But he has other interests. On in particular being his job, it ain't a good look to strait up talk about restrictions or how the story might be potentially be worse at the start of a comic. One for sales and two for IDW and/or Sega keeping him around, along with future opportunities in either company. And he could genuinely be talking about narrative possibilities that could be interesting that have nothing to do with what you may want. Narrative possibilities is a pretty broad term that could mean, romatic relationships are cool to characters can loose, to evil versions of characters can exist again to, the freedom fighters or none of those things...or all of them. PR talk to get people excited, but you know, not specific enough to cause expectations to form 

I'm not mad at him, like i'm not mad at a community manager for having to push a game that might not be its best. People have a job and they are doing that job. And sometimes that job is to you know, not address things that might be problematic with product or ones that might cause people to not engage with it. Now obviously in terms of say food or something that's bad, or in the case of video games purposely hiding missing features or what have you.. those are bad and in both cases could call for legal intervention. But this , is much less worse and more so a bit of a obfuscation for the sake of getting people engaged with an entertainment product they might well enjoy and not have them put off because their expectations were dashed before they even picked up a page.

No one is being mean here, or at least i'm not. But as a consumer you need to understand that while some branches or people in a company or companies might be more friendly than others... their objective is to make money. And that interest colors all interactions with them. 

The only way you are getting anything of meaning out of ian he isn't already willing to divulge is being ians actual friend in real life. And even then depending on how he might feel about nda

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

But he has other interests. On in particular being his job, it ain't a good look to strait up talk about restrictions or how the story might be potentially be worse at the start of a comic. One for sales and two for IDW and/or Sega keeping him around, along with future opportunities in either company. And he could genuinely be talking about narrative possibilities that could be interesting that have nothing to do with what you may want. Narrative possibilities is a pretty broad term that could mean, romatic relationships are cool to characters can loose, to evil versions of characters can exist again to, the freedom fighters or none of those things...or all of them. PR talk to get people excited, but you know, not specific enough to cause expectations to form 

I'm not mad at him, like i'm not mad at a community manager for having to push a game that might not be its best. People have a job and they are doing that job. And sometimes that job is to you know, not address things that might be problematic with product or ones that might cause people to not engage with it. Now obviously in terms of say food or something that's bad, or in the case of video games purposely hiding missing features or what have you.. those are bad and in both cases could call for legal intervention. But this , is much less worse and more so a bit of a obfuscation for the sake of getting people engaged with an entertainment product they might well enjoy and not have them put off because their expectations were dashed before they even picked up a page.

No one is being mean here, or at least i'm not. But as a consumer you need to understand that while some branches or people in a company or companies might be more friendly than others... their objective is to make money. And that interest colors all interactions with them. 

The only way you are getting anything of meaning out of ian he isn't already willing to divulge is being ians actual friend in real life. And even then depending on how he might feel about nda

Okay, those are very reasonable arguments. 

5 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Okay, those are very reasonable arguments. 

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

Amy - Sonic

Cream - Tails

Sticks - Knuckles

Eh, really? I would look and say "hey, there is a parallel, sorta, you see it?". Other person would nod and then we would go back to guessing Chairman identity or something.

Sonic&Tails/ Mighty&Ray are "interesting" parallel, but 20+ years passed and we didn't DO anything with it. No stories, no extra depth, just pointing it out....and shipping of course.

If anything, current Team Rose has a theme:  civilians. They normal mobians who used to mind they own business, but need arisen and they taking fight back to the egg, or something between those lines.

Personally I would add Sticks to Silver and Blaze as a "Team Dimensions" or "Animals with colors that don't rhyme". (orange, purple, silver)

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, MetalSkulkBane said:

Personally I would add Sticks to Silver and Blaze as a "Team Dimensions" or "Animals with colors that don't rhyme". (orange, purple, silver)

That could be an interesting team.

1 minute ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

If anything, current Team Rose has a theme:  civilians. They normal mobians who used to mind they own business, but need arisen and they taking fight back to the egg, or something between those lines.

Okay, that's actually clever theme that the team could have.

17 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I mean, sure, if you wanna go with the obvious "Conspiracy Nut Nubile Savage meets Serious Interdimensional Princess and Dorky Heroic Timetraveling Psychic" scenario for their team. 

But then again, we could always have Marine or some other special context character fill that third spot.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I mean, sure, if you wanna go with the obvious "Conspiracy Nut Nubile Savage meets Serious Interdimensional Princess and Dorky Heroic Timetraveling Psychic" scenario for their team. 

But then again, we could always have Marine or some other special context character fill that third spot.

Marine is obvious and kina terrible choice. Silver and Blaze are way more powerful but also popular, Marine would be definition of third wheel. (Plus I'm one of very few who likes Marine, I don't think most fans want her in Recurring Cast.)

It's like making team Shadow-Charmy-Big.

...dang it, I want that team now.

I'd rather Marine than Sticks for a lot of reasons, one being that she's actually funny.

More seriously, considering the weird energy (water...?) blast in that one cutscene, it'd kinda make sense to group her up with Blaze and Silver.

20 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Marine is obvious and kina terrible choice. Silver and Blaze are way more powerful but also popular, Marine would be definition of third wheel. (Plus I'm one of very few who likes Marine, I don't think most fans want her in Recurring Cast.)

...So? Team Chaotix has Charmy on it and for all of the overly forceful opinions that get expressed, I don't think I've seen people downvote his place among them.

Do we really need Skeleton King to come in and write another essay about characters being picked solely because of popularity and publicity again?

Plus, a chance for Marine to come back and actually do positive shit is a chance for Marine to be better and that's something any character deserves. 

15 minutes ago, Celestia said:

More seriously, considering the weird energy (water...?) blast in that one cutscene, it'd kinda make sense to group her up with Blaze and Silver.

That's more or less my point.

• Thumbs Up 1