Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

41 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Now I'm hoping that the next issue addresses his whereabouts, and when Shadow or Rouge explains ("There's badniks everywhere, what do you think he's doing?"), there's a panel drawn in a crude crayon doodle style of Omega skipping through a field merrily, blowing up badniks along the way.

Complete with an E-123 version of this?

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

So, going back to Omega: I'm not sure if he'll appear in the next issue given that it wasn't confirmed yet by any news source when the issue was announced.

Shadow and Rouge weren't advertised to show up until Issue 6, but they still appeared at the end of Issue 5. There could be some room for Omega to show up.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Shadow and Rouge weren't advertised to show up until Issue 6, but they still appeared at the end of Issue 5. There could be some room for Omega to show up.

I''m sure that if there's any Shadow, Team Dark, and/or GUN related story stuff within the first three years, the tiniest seeds of it/them will be planted within the next issue. And that likely means at least a mention or cameo by Omega..

16 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Complete with an E-123 version of this?

Omega hates organics

He appreciates their creative endevours in pop

17 hours ago, Celestia said:

Now I'm hoping that the next issue addresses his whereabouts, and when Shadow or Rouge explains ("There's badniks everywhere, what do you think he's doing?"), there's a panel drawn in a crude crayon doodle style of Omega skipping through a field merrily, blowing up badniks along the way.

No , I hope they do this

But instead it cuts to him having tea with blaze. 

17 hours ago, Zaysho said:

Is Omega officially part of GUN? Gamesverse feels like it operates a bit differently from other takes, and I've always gotten the impression that Omega is mostly off on his own until Rouge and Shadow recruit him. He could just be saved for a later appearance and they may have not bothered to call him in since Eggman, currently, isn't a big threat. Alternatively, he's having the time of his life with all the Eggman robots being deployed.

I would say no. 

I would argue that shadow isn't really part of gun either. Rouge is their keeper , and basically most of the shit they do go through her because technically speaking, they are both dangerous criminals. Or at least shadow's case, a dangerous merc, or vigilante

• Chuckle 1

On 6/6/2018 at 4:42 PM, Zaysho said:

Is Omega officially part of GUN? Gamesverse feels like it operates a bit differently from other takes, and I've always gotten the impression that Omega is mostly off on his own until Rouge and Shadow recruit him. He could just be saved for a later appearance and they may have not bothered to call him in since Eggman, currently, isn't a big threat. Alternatively, he's having the time of his life with all the Eggman robots being deployed.

Is GUN still a thing?

On 6/4/2018 at 6:52 PM, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

I think Ian has the best understanding of how to write Shadow compared to every current writer thus far.

The guy knows that Shadow is more than just a superpowerful killing machine, Shadow has emotions and compassion as well , and most people know this, he just shows it differently.

I think there’s something else worth criticizing beyond “he doesn’t make Shadow look awesome to me” given that that’s not even writing a decent story, that’s close to writing a Mary Sue/Gary Stu, and if you want that you can stick to Sonic X or Shadow’s very own game.

And I say this as a hardcore Shadow fan myself.

No thats Knuckles. Shadow is blunt, cold, and nearly unfeeling, but represents understanding people and being honest yet sincere to those he protects, he doesn't need to be "nice and friendly" to be a good person, he's supposed to be like Mewtwo not Riku. Ian's Shadow is too soft, impulsive, and very OOC in being detatched from peoples opinions about him. I don't think Shadow's been compassionate to anyone but Maria in the games, Sonic Colors DS has him worrying about Sonic enough to let him stop Eggman, but thats simple rival stuff I peg.

23 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

No thats Knuckles. Shadow is blunt, cold, and nearly unfeeling, but represents understanding people and being honest yet sincere to those he protects, he doesn't need to be "nice and friendly" to be a good person, he's supposed to be like Mewtwo not Riku. 

Yeah, and that’s exactly how Ian’s written Shadow in the comics, except for him being unfeeling.

But once again, I’m not interested in entertaining your Shadow fanboyism.

3 hours ago, Mega said:

It's like people forget that Shadow had an actual personality in both SA2 and Heroes and wasn't afraid to smirk or smile or make banter on occasion.

And in Generations he shows elements of one. 

Too bad it was removed in Forces for the sake of making him playable. 

4 hours ago, Mega said:

It's like people forget that Shadow had an actual personality in both SA2 and Heroes and wasn't afraid to smirk or smile or make banter on occasion.

Its more so a construction of a shadow personality that doesn't exist , that lines up more with vegeta from dragonball z, rather than anything shadow was...ever.

What trips me out the most as that he uses Riku as an example of not. Not only is like riku like the best character in KH, he's probably the one you can compare him the most to out of like.. every. Maybe roxas, because their is an element of construction in his backstory. But generally yes , shadow and riku make sense have simular paths in terms of redemption and and care and show emotions for things. 

Shadow is not an emotionless machine... that's the whole point of his story. Well part of it, like... how can you like this character and not like the character like... being that. I'm not saying shadow needs to become an emotional open book, but shadow can show emotion. Heck his IDW intro seems t be some form of seething rage. Hopefully it results in something interestng. 

On that note, I would like to talk about something. They drew shadow's shoes with a bump on the front, I hate when they do that, that's weird, it makes the shoes look extra wack, not fond of it. Also rouges body is drawn kinda weird, and it looks like the top half of her body is ready to just falloff. 

5 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Also rouges body is drawn kinda weird, and it looks like the top half of her body is ready to just falloff. 

Now that you mention it, she does seem a little bit more curvy than usual.

1 minute ago, RedFox99 said:

Now that you mention it, she does seem a little bit more curvy than usual.

Its not that curvy its more like that shit splits almost at and angle, its a really weird lapse in like anatomical drawing

5 hours ago, Mega said:

K'yeh.

Although, now that you mention it, his conversation with Rouge near the end makes little sense in hindsight. 

1 hour ago, Miragnarok said:

And in Generations he shows elements of one. 

Too bad it was removed in Forces for the sake of making him playable. 

It what now?

54 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Its more so a construction of a shadow personality that doesn't exist , that lines up more with vegeta from dragonball z, rather than anything shadow was...ever.

What trips me out the most as that he uses Riku as an example of not. Not only is like riku like the best character in KH, he's probably the one you can compare him the most to out of like.. every. Maybe roxas, because their is an element of construction in his backstory. . 

Perhaps elaborate?

56 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Also rouges body is drawn kinda weird, and it looks like the top half of her body is ready to just falloff. 

I laughed out when I read this. :lol:

53 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

K'yeh.

Although, now that you mention it, his conversation with Rouge near the end makes little sense in hindsight. 

It what now?

Perhaps elaborate?

I laughed out when I read this. :lol:

Simple

He constructed a shadow personally in his mind, Dash Speed. That isn't accurate. 

That's it. It happens often. Sometimes shadow is an unfeeling cold machine to people. Sometimes shadow is tsundere, sometimes shadow is just whining all the time. None of these are accurate and just personalities people have constructed based on limited information, or their interpretation of the character for their own enjoyment or to put down something they don't wish to understand. 

Its a constructed personality of the character, that when analyzed doesn't hold up that exists in the mind of the person(s) who have created it for their own purposes. 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Simple

He constructed a shadow personally in his mind, Dash Speed. That isn't accurate. 

That's it. It happens often. Sometimes shadow is an unfeeling cold machine to people. Sometimes shadow is tsundere, sometimes shadow is just whining all the time. None of these are accurate and just personalities people have constructed based on limited information, or their interpretation of the character for their own enjoyment or to put down something they don't wish to understand. 

Its a constructed personality of the character, that when analyzed doesn't hold up that exists in the mind of the person(s) who have created it for their own purposes. 

Like how some people think of Rouge as just a sexualized, manipulative thief? 

6 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Simple

Oh shit, we're gettin real meta and symbolic up in dis mug.

How does that apply to Roxas, then?

6 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Sometimes shadow is tsundere, sometimes shadow is just whining all the time.

Eh, I'd say more kuudere and brooding objectively, but I get ya.

Just now, RedFox99 said:

Well, she kinda is. At the baseline, anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Sorta, I think a better example would be. Say, if people thought rouge was... completely soceopathic and completely uncaring and only cared about jewels and stealing. This is untrue. This would a personality they have constructed based on limited information

This my statement isn't to suggest that shadow's personality can be set in stone. We have all seen how knuckles has changed over the years, for better or for worse. But What I am saying based on what is the most prominent and promoted versions of this characters personality. These people construct variants in their heads based on a number of factors. 

Also I want to say, constructed personalities aren't bad inherently. The only version of Sally I like is one constructed by someone in a fanfiction. So they can construct different even better personalities. But t the end of the day, in the capacity of official media. Their interpretations don't quite line up

8 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

OOOH

You were confused , ok. The roxas constructed , meant that roxas was literally constructed in context of the plot of kingdom hearts. He is sora and Ventus's nobody. He is a construct , is very artificial. The whole point of the org XIII was to become human again. So that's what that comparison was. I meant roxas was quite literally a construct. He is a husk, so to speak. Or rather, a husk, that looks like another husk. I was using construct in two different contexts

I'm not fond of dere archetypes because I don't feel like they work to well and lead to bad characterization . I just call it " he's a guy that's going through some shit that don't like talking much " That's what I would call batman, or characters like that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think we should rename this thread into "Another thread about Shadow the Hedgehog".

• Chuckle 1

Shadow is just a tsundere emo teen and there's no way to disprove it. 😏

Now seriously.

You guys can keep your cold deadly and emotionless machine personality for him, I don't agree with that because since SA2 and Heroes he knew emotions just fine and cared even about his rival, both of those games when things get dire he calls Sonic for help (Metal Overlord) and even compliments him as being the real ultimate life form even after trying to kill him (Final Hazard). He knew how to be cocky, sarcastic, and even have fun by playing freaking bingo lol. Is obvious that he's not just a killing machine, in fact we wasn't like that even in his own game, bad story or not he emotes just fine.

Anyways, my point is, Shadow is not a one sided character. He can be what he wants. He can kill people by karate chop but also have fun playing bingo.

And I bet we will see that in the next issue.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, JosepHenry said:

You guys can keep your cold deadly and emotionless machine personality for him, I don't agree with that because since SA2 and Heroes he knew emotions just fine and cared even about his rival, both of those games when things get dire he calls Sonic for help (Metal Overlord) and even compliments him as being the real ultimate life form even after trying to kill him (Final Hazard). He knew how to be cocky, sarcastic, and even have fun by playing freaking bingo lol. Is obvious that he's not just a killing machine, in fact we wasn't like that even in his own game, bad story or not he emotes just fine.

Anyways, my point is, Shadow is not a one sided character. He can be what he wants. He can kill people by karate chop but also have fun playing bingo.

And I bet we will see that in the next issue.

I don't think anyone is arguing for him to be a one sided character who doesn't emote. Besides one person. Dash speed. While we all have different preferences on how shadow might be, I've seen some on other sites wanting him to be more emotional and warm because they didn't actually like the reboot shadow in the comics. Some wanting him to be more cold and callous. I myself Just want him to be put in more situations, that test his resolve. There seemed to be a situation that was brewing before the last comic got canceled that invovled GUN not trusting shadow. I thought that would have been interesting. Point is, most people here seem to be ok with shadow... having emotions and caring except one guy.

I mean I guess we could have a conversation about the canonical of the " real ultimate lifeoform" thing considering he still calls himself that. And that game is framed around him dying, and due to him not dying a lot of the shit he says and that games story had to get throw out of the window ( shadow's entire game ). But that's a whole other conversation thats actually sorta relevant. 

Because the human world and animal land ain't the same place anymore, and goddamnit. If that's gonna be weird if they ever have to do shadow flashbacks.  Wooboy can't wait for that 

1 hour ago, DaddlerTheDalek said:

I think we should rename this thread into "Another thread about Shadow the Hedgehog".

TBH you can name like every sonic focused forum that

A matter of fact, you can use " 0 to shadow the hedgehog " as a metric for sonic conversation

• Chuckle 1

15 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Its not that curvy its more like that shit splits almost at and angle, its a really weird lapse in like anatomical drawing

Tracy has always seemed uncomfortable drawing Rouge. Sometimes she's fine but other's it looks like he could barely look at her while drawing.

3 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Tracy has always seemed uncomfortable drawing Rouge. Sometimes she's fine but other's it looks like he could barely look at her while drawing.

Generally I'm OK with Tracy, but sometimes he can make characters look bad, like when exaggerating Amy's expressions to the point she looks ugly (especially when Amy is one of the more cute looking characters) or draws Blaze with an actual rack, something I feel takes away from her design (someone needs to tell him that flat is justice) as that particular body type just doesn't work either with the type of clothes that Blaze wears.

2 minutes ago, Skull Leader said:

draws Blaze with an actual rack, something I feel takes away from her design (someone needs to tell him that flat is justice) as that particular body type just doesn't work either with the type of clothes that Blaze wears.

Gainaix if you remember that overly long argument about that on Bumbleking.

On 6/8/2018 at 12:41 PM, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Yeah, and that’s exactly how Ian’s written Shadow in the comics, except for him being unfeeling.

But once again, I’m not interested in entertaining your Shadow fanboyism.

No, Ian wrote him like a autistic emo teen on her period and had no class in his bullying of others.

I don't expect you to get a character over ten years old who has basic established traits other than sulking and being angsty though

On 6/8/2018 at 1:10 PM, Mega said:

It's like you forget Shadow was a geniune total dick who acted like a douche because he was that cocky and condencending, it's part of his dark rival shonen template after all. But Shadow was basically filled with extreme pride and confidence in his powers but still was not a fun guy to be around outside of battle and missions, Ian just flanderized him to laughable meme levels of those traits instead of a more complex and mature character. Ian's Shadow was immature, the games Shadow pre Shth and SA2 are mature.

19 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Doesn't his profile on sonic wikia says, he doesn't hold back on what he has to say no matter how harsh it is. How is that kuudere, kuudere's hide their emotions, Shadow may be silent and detatched but secretive he is not.

5 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

I don't think anyone is arguing for him to be a one sided character who doesn't emote. Besides one person. Dash speed. While we all have different preferences on how shadow might be, I've seen some on other sites wanting him to be more emotional and warm because they didn't actually like the reboot shadow in the comics. Some wanting him to be more cold and callous. I myself Just want him to be put in more situations, that test his resolve. There seemed to be a situation that was brewing before the last comic got canceled that invovled GUN not trusting shadow. I thought that would have been interesting. Point is, most people here seem to be ok with shadow... having emotions and caring except one guy.

I mean I guess we could have a conversation about the canonical of the " real ultimate lifeoform" thing considering he still calls himself that. And that game is framed around him dying, and due to him not dying a lot of the shit he says and that games story had to get throw out of the window ( shadow's entire game ). But that's a whole other conversation thats actually sorta relevant. 

Because the human world and animal land ain't the same place anymore, and goddamnit. If that's gonna be weird if they ever have to do shadow flashbacks.  Wooboy can't wait for that 

TBH you can name like every sonic focused forum that

A matter of fact, you can use " 0 to shadow the hedgehog " as a metric for sonic conversation

I never said I never wanted him to have emotions, I said he should be consistant in how he acts with little significant differences like from the archie comics. Archie Shadow compared to Sega Shadow is less competant, immature, ignorant instead of knowledgeable, insecure, and finally as hot headed as Sonic and Knuckles are in the comics. He's not a self defined hero either, he chooses to forge on based on what his creator wanted him to do and protect the planet with GUN, Shadow in the games chooses to forge his own path by disregarding Gerald and choosing to save the world on his own merits, either by joining gun by choice or by fighting evil on a free will like Sonic. Archie Shadow was always a patsy and basically GUN's property in the comicbook.

4 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

Doesn't his profile on sonic wikia says, he doesn't hold back on what he has to say no matter how harsh it is. How is that kuudere, kuudere's hide their emotions, Shadow may be silent and detatched but secretive he is not.

TV Tropes has three different types described and Shadow(as well as Raven, who I was gonna site before doing research) definitely fits the first Always In Control one.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Dash Speed said:

No, Ian wrote him like a autistic emo teen on her period and had no class in his bullying of others.

No. That’s really just something you made up to mock Ian for not making him a badass killing machine that you like.

1 hour ago, Dash Speed said:

I don't expect you to get a character over ten years old who has basic established traits other than sulking and being angsty though

So basically, you don’t actually read my posts. Good to know.