Jump to content
Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Sonic Fan J said:

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. Life got in in the way and all that.

Anyway, I agree with you on Shadow being here to provide conflict with Sonic's decision, but where my problem lays is more with when Shadow was introduced. As I kind of elaborated when I had posted this solution in the post you responded to 

As I may not have made clear, I actually like the role Shadow plays in this issue in regards to Sonic's decisions. Even better yet, Shadow's very presence provides the imagery of someone whose own amnesia did not change the way they did things which further calls into question the nature of "Mr. Tinker". But when I say he is introduced too late I really do feel that way.

Ian so far has been kind of seesawing on presenting Sonic with his no regrets, don't look back attitude and issue 6 read as though it was in place, making the conflict a mute point to me. Sure Shadow is challenging Sonic's decision, but it's like throwing a rubber ball at concrete that has already dried; It bounces off with no effect. That's how I feel about Shadow's efforts this issue where as I feel if he had been introduced before Sonic made up his mind it would have been like throwing that rubber ball at still curing concrete and the effect would have been obvious. Sonic would have been question "Mr. Tinker" and his legitimacy as well as wanting to believe when Shadow appears presenting to Sonic just from being there the argument that amnesia does not necessarily change someone. Then Sonic's argument about the good Eggman is capable of would have been as much to convince himself to give "Mr. Tinker" a chance as it would have been to convince Shadow not to off him. That tiny little difference in timing makes a world of difference to me, because otherwise you could go from when "Mr. Tinker" says Eggmanland, to the scene where he shows it off, to the reveal without losing anything.

All of that said, I do acknowledge that this introduction is likely necessary for when Shadow appears again so knew readers don't ask who he is and the pace isn't broken by filling us in then, but I just feel the execution could have been better by playing with the timing of Shadow's appearance. As it was timed, it resulted in a rather dull issue for me because I didn't feel like there was any real conflict felt by Sonic this issue. He was static to me and that is a result of when Shadow is introduced; after Sonic has made his decision and not before.

That is a considerable part of the issue, yes.

1 hour ago, Sonic Fan J said:

At this point all I can really do is wait to see what comes next and hope it washes away this bad taste I've been left with like issue 4 did for me after issue 3.

Really now? Those are the issue numbers you meant to say...?

How so?

2 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

 

Yea, and the two of them not being at odds for years is why their characters have been so fucking boring for so long. So yes, I will take conflict over the two of them simply just standing there with no tension whatsoever.

Are you talking about Sonic and Shadow or Tails?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

It has Shadow.

Trying to appeal to Shadow Fans caused discussion about Shadow.

Disappointing Shadow Fans caused discussion about Shadow.

Actively avoiding discussion about Shadow causes discussion about Shadow.

I will say this again

0 to Shadow should be a metric in all sonic related threads

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DabigRG said:

Really now? Those are the issue numbers you meant to say...?

How so?

My biggest problem with issue 3 is that Knuckles felt painfully one dimensional to me. I didn't get any feeling of of his rivalry with Sonic, none of his boasting, or really anything beyond he punches things. Issue 3 was another that fell flat to me and Knuckles characterization (or lack thereof) is part of the reason. In contrast, issue 4 provided a sense of urgency, brought in Blaze with an introduction that while arguably forced was addressed in a way that was entertaining, and Tangle was a ball of genuine in over her head zaniness that provided a very entertaining audience surrogate angle for me. Tangle alone pretty much washed away the bad taste that issue 3 left me with and having the rest of the issue hit it's beat plus showing how someone new to it all would react in an entertaining manner just struck all the right notes for me. 

I hope that clarifies things at least a little bit. My initial wording was perhaps a little confusing (honestly that whole post is full of spelling and grammatical errors) so I hope this helps. Or to simplify further, issues 3 and 6, have left me with a bad taste, but since issue 4 washed that bad taste away I'm hoping issue 7 does the same. If there's any real problem with that hope is that issue 4 came out a week later whereas I'll be dwelling on 6 for a month if I don't just push it out of my mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But will we keep him in the comics if he ever works on the games? And what if the story's great but the gameplay fucking sucks? (like Sonic 06).

We need dedicated adventure fan developpers (like Hero engine on youtube).

It's a double edged sword.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

On the side, Flynn4Sonic is a recent thing on twitter, started by Ian himself. Maybe we have a chance

Sega: Flynn Gets to write for a sonic game 

Fans: YEAH

Sega: The sonic the movie tie in game!

Fans: This looks like trash and we don't want to buy it 

Sega: Guess the fans didn't like flynn after all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we want Flynn4Sonic, we also want Hero4Sonic (the 3D Taxman) (logically). Use these two hashtags together because we don't only want a great  story, but also a great Adventure-style gameplay!

Do we really want a great story with worthless boost gameplay? A gameplay that is good for nothing? No, so we also need #Hero4Sonic (here's his 3D engine video:

We don't want Flynn associated with garbage boost2win pseudo-gameplay! We want Flynn associated with great Adventure-style gameplay because he's above games where stories depend on levels!!

I like to imagine having a game better than SA1 (the best 3D Sonic game), Hero's engine plus Flynn's writing can provide that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sonic Fan J said:

My biggest problem with issue 3 is that Knuckles felt painfully one dimensional to me. I didn't get any feeling of of his rivalry with Sonic, none of his boasting, or really anything beyond he punches things. Issue 3 was another that fell flat to me and Knuckles characterization (or lack thereof) is part of the reason. In contrast, issue 4 provided a sense of urgency, brought in Blaze with an introduction that while arguably forced was addressed in a way that was entertaining, and Tangle was a ball of genuine in over her head zaniness that provided a very entertaining audience surrogate angle for me. Tangle alone pretty much washed away the bad taste that issue 3 left me with and having the rest of the issue hit it's beat plus showing how someone new to it all would react in an entertaining manner just struck all the right notes for me. 

I hope that clarifies things at least a little bit. My initial wording was perhaps a little confusing (honestly that whole post is full of spelling and grammatical errors) so I hope this helps. Or to simplify further, issues 3 and 6, have left me with a bad taste, but since issue 4 washed that bad taste away I'm hoping issue 7 does the same. If there's any real problem with that hope is that issue 4 came out a week later whereas I'll be dwelling on 6 for a month if I don't just push it out of my mind.

Oh. I misunderstood the issue numbers, even if my confusion still applied.

I will say that while I still liked Issue 3 as sort of expected, it was still somewhere between okay and good-ish. Primarily because, as lax mentioned, it indeed felt a tad rushed and like it needed another 2 pages to make satisfactory use of what it had to work with. 

By contrast, Issue 4 was actually a contender for weakest issue before 6 came out, notable since it's probably the only issue I recall only reading(or rather skimming) once and never touched again as of recent(though it's timing was probably a minor factor in that).

Anyway, thanks for clarifying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

If we want Flynn4Sonic, we also want Hero4Sonic (the 3D Taxman) (logically). Use these two hashtags together because we don't only want a great  story, but also a great Adventure-style gameplay!

Do we really want a great story with worthless boost gameplay? A gameplay that is good for nothing? No, so we also need #Hero4Sonic (here's his 3D engine video:

We don't want Flynn associated with garbage boost2win pseudo-gameplay! We want Flynn associated with great Adventure-style gameplay because he's above games where stories depend on levels!!

I like to imagine having a game better than SA1 (the best 3D Sonic game), Hero's engine plus Flynn's writing can provide that.

On the one hand I do think that looks pretty good. On the other please don't say "We" like that. Some of us like the "Garbage" Boost Engine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

If we want Flynn4Sonic, we also want Hero4Sonic (the 3D Taxman) (logically). Use these two hashtags together because we don't only want a great  story, but also a great Adventure-style gameplay!

Do we really want a great story with worthless boost gameplay? A gameplay that is good for nothing? No, so we also need #Hero4Sonic (here's his 3D engine video:

We don't want Flynn associated with garbage boost2win pseudo-gameplay! We want Flynn associated with great Adventure-style gameplay because he's above games where stories depend on levels!!

I like to imagine having a game better than SA1 (the best 3D Sonic game), Hero's engine plus Flynn's writing can provide that.

If these fan engine makers want to work for SEGA they can develop a repertoire and approach them themselves. Taxman didn't make those remakes because of a Twitter hashtag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got around to reading issue 6.

Let me just say, I kind of saw it coming. A little disappointed that this is what it was building up to. It's possible that SEGA was keeping a leash on the team, but it doesn't really excuse the poor execution of the reveal. I won't stop reading the comics because I still enjoy it, but I do hope that the next issues are better than this one (hoping Silver's introduction goes smoothly, or I will be really unhappy, lol).

Also, on the subject of SEGA, please let these writers get creative with these characters; I don't like when Sonic characters come off one-dimensional. I get they're cartoon animal people, but still . . . a little fun needs to be had here. x3;

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Oh. I misunderstood the issue numbers, even if my confusion still applied.

I will say that while I still liked Issue 3 as sort of expected, it was still somewhere between okay and good-ish. Primarily because, as lax mentioned, it indeed felt a tad rushed and like it needed another 2 pages to make satisfactory use of what it had to work with. 

By contrast, Issue 4 was actually a contender for weakest issue before 6 came out, notable since it's probably the only issue I recall only reading(or rather skimming) once and never touched again as of recent(though it's timing was probably a minor factor in that).

Anyway, thanks for clarifying.

Hey, glad to clarify. 

And on the difference in our opinions, where as 4 is the least revisited by you it is actually the second most for me after issue 2. To an extent I wonder if part of that has more to do with 2 and 4 exceeding my expectations whereas 3 and 6 came up short. Always fun how our expectations can paint very different reactions to what we are presented.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BlossomHaze said:

 It's possible that SEGA was keeping a leash on the team,

Also, on the subject of SEGA, please let these writers get creative with these characters; I don't like when Sonic characters come off one-dimensional. I get they're cartoon animal people, but still . . . a little fun needs to be had here. x3;

That's something I've been quietly concerned about as well.

And I'm not really one of those fans who are visceral about mandates.

2 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

And on the difference in our opinions, where as 4 is the least revisited by you it is actually the second most for me after issue 2. To an extent I wonder if part of that has more to do with 2 and 4 exceeding my expectations whereas 3 and 6 came up short. Always fun how our expectations can paint very different reactions to what we are presented.

More than likely the case.

Oh, and yes, Issue 2 may be the second most read for me too. Partly because it went a step beyond and ended up being the best one so far.

To be fair, I've only really reread IDW issues within the month/week they came out, so it was only really notable by comparison. I've considered changing that overall since I asked my ranking question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BlossomHaze said:

Finally got around to reading issue 6.

Let me just say, I kind of saw it coming. A little disappointed that this is what it was building up to. It's possible that SEGA was keeping a leash on the team, but it doesn't really excuse the poor execution of the reveal. I won't stop reading the comics because I still enjoy it, but I do hope that the next issues are better than this one (hoping Silver's introduction goes smoothly, or I will be really unhappy, lol).

Also, on the subject of SEGA, please let these writers get creative with these characters; I don't like when Sonic characters come off one-dimensional. I get they're cartoon animal people, but still . . . a little fun needs to be had here. x3;

Ian said that there's more to it than meets the eye in a tweet that was already posted here, and we shouldn't take the ending of 6 at face value.  Also, I think SEGA is being looser here in terms of characters, as it introduces more moral conflicts and the characters are becoming less one dimensional as time goes on. However, it might be a bit before they go into actual character development, because they need to set up more of an actual conflict. They also let Ian rerail characters like Tails and while it isn't perfect, I feel as if it's starting to form into its own thing, sort of like Archie Sonic did. I do imagine it will be much shorter to get to that point, though.

9 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

I hope we see Super Sonic at the end of year 1!!

I doubt it. We'll most likely see him when a milestone issue happens, like issue 15 or 25 or somewhere around that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Ian said that there's more to it than meets the eye in a tweet that was already posted here, and we shouldn't take the ending of 6 at face value.  Also, I think SEGA is being looser here in terms of characters, as it introduces more moral conflicts and the characters are becoming less one dimensional as time goes on. However, it might be a bit before they go into actual character development, because they need to set up more of an actual conflict. They also let Ian rerail characters like Tails and while it isn't perfect, I feel as if it's starting to form into its own thing, sort of like Archie Sonic did. I do imagine it will be much shorter to get to that point, though.

Oh, that makes sense then. I've been on and off the internet for a week (vacation, yay!) so I may have missed a whole lot. Like I said, I'm not gonna stop reading the comic; I looked forward to it since the cancellation of Archie. The ending just made me scratch my head is all. Though, that was probably the point!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

tumblr_paz8q74wjw1s9pusko1_1280.jpg

My only nitpick with this issue is that in the one panel where Mr. Tinker shows off "Eggmanland", the font on the banner looks completely off.

They could have at least curved the text and changed the perspective on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

tumblr_paz8q74wjw1s9pusko1_1280.jpg

My only nitpick with this issue is that in the one panel where Mr. Tinker shows off "Eggmanland", the font on the banner looks completely off.

They could have at least curved the text and changed the perspective on it.

I got to see the raw page when Tracey was selling it, and he actually drew the logo on himself initially (and it looked fine). I don’t know why they felt the need to change it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While we're on the subject of Yardley's art being affected after he's done the art, I have to get this off my chest; the inking style IDW are currently using with Yardley just does not complement his style at all. Images that look fine in raw form have a tendency to look weird in the final product. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ian Flynn has to write with Sonic Mandates in mind. I have no doubt that's hinting at Two Worlds without flat-out yelling the Adventures happened on another planet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.