Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

14 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I fucking hate SEGA right now.

I mean, one of the biggest things I liked about Pre-boot and Post-boot is that Ian put characters forgotten by SEGA to new use with new twists. Now he can't even do THAT now.

SEGA really IS limiting Ian, and I'm fucking sick of it.

Next, they get writers who aren’t even as good as him to write. Their OC characters aren’t even as good as his. But there are still plenty of disused Dreamcast and up characters in the franchise to use. 

It makes sense for branding purpose, tbh. And I'm interested to see what Flynn will do with the cast he have, especially if he get to "bigger" stories after year 1.

• Thumbs Up 2

The Hooligans have become a beloved set of characters to parts of the Sonic fanbase. Especially in part of having them written under Flynn's pen, where he gave characters with no personality or backstory a chance to climb back into the limelight. It was through Flynn's interpretation of the characters alone that they came back in Generations and Mania, under the personalities he gave them.

SEGA not including them in the IDW comics is almost like shooting themselves in the foot.

• Thumbs Up 6

Just now, Polkadi~♪ said:

The Hooligans have become a beloved set of characters to parts of the Sonic fanbase. Especially in part of having them written under Flynn's pen, where he gave characters with no personality or backstory a chance to climb back into the limelight. It was through Flynn's interpretation of the characters alone that they came back in Generations and Mania, under the personalities he gave them.

SEGA not including them in the IDW comics is almost like shooting themselves in the foot.

Ian could do the same with characters like Marine, though. That’s the thing. He has a dozen or so modern characters that aren’t used often to revisit. Maybe he can even make someone like Yacker likab... oh wait, have you seen his Boom episodes? 

2 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

And the worst part is, Ian seems to be okay with this shit.

He always have been in a "their toys, their rules" kind of mentality. He isn't the one who set the rules. But he can use them as constraint that he will have to work with to create his stories.

4 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Ian could do the same with characters like Marine, though. That’s the thing. He has a dozen or so modern characters that aren’t used often to revisit. Maybe he can even make someone like Yacker likab... oh wait, have you seen his Boom episodes? 

TBH even some really minor character like the random "mobian commander" from Sonic Forces could be fleshed out to be interesting in the setting he have to work with. Chaos Gamma also could be used to add another layer to Gamma's story, etc.

And maybe that way he will have to use the Babylon Rogues :'D

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 1

5 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

He's under contractual obligation to write under SEGA's rules. If he doesn't want to, SEGA would get rid of him and even break all his goodwill with them.

While he may be a bit disappointed about it, which feels to be the case in his "So it goes," he's not going to raise a stink because 1) it's not a huge deal worth crying over, and 2) SEGA would get rid of him for not obliging by what they want for their franchise, because Ian doesn't control it.

• Thumbs Up 7

7 minutes ago, Celestia said:

You know, not everyone is obligated to feel the same way about this. Perhaps instead of taking Flynn not minding too much as a slight, you can complaint to SEGA [PR] about it instead.

That's admittedly an issue when fans expect creators to feel the same they do on the matter. Ian never struck me as being that dedicated to the Hooligans that he'd get upset over such anyway. 

Dude probably has plenty of other ideas on the bran to boot. 

I trust Ian, but I don't really trust SEGA, TBH. However, I'm going to play by their rules and see where this goes. Hopefully, it will be a good payoff. TBH, the comic is the only thing related to Sonic that I'm interested in, currently.

I REALLY don't mean to sound like an unpleaseable complainer. I'm just voicing my opinion on why I think that rule kinda sucks.

At the very least, if we're to get a classic companion comic, it means that those characters will have a greater spotlight in that one.

I don't have a lot of hope for Sega to follow Mania's success with anything meaningful (Mania sold well? They must want more Green Hill!), but if they did, a companion series would be pretty likely, I think.  Seems silly for them to just let these characters sit and rot while they introduce new ones, especially ones that look like they could be made in Forces' meager DeviantArt machine (Tangle looks unique enough, even if only being a species you can't use).

Can't get mad at Ian for not being (visibly) upset, though.  He's a professional and is probably working his dream job right now: writing for a series he loves.  If I got the chance to write for Metroid, I'd take Nintendo shoving a broom up my ass every morning with a smile.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

33 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Yeah he likes having a job. 

He doesn't own sonic, and to say "Oh wow this shit is hella weird " ... I already posted a comment about this , go back and read this. Point is , he has personal interests and he has to be fine with it

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm telling you all, Miyamoto has given more leeway on how developers and others can depict Super Mario than Iizuka apparently does.

7 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Yeah he likes having a job. 

He doesn't own sonic, and to say "Oh wow this shit is hella weird " ... I already posted a comment about this , go back and read this. Point is , he has personal interests and he has to be fine with it

I admit that was a bit rude of me to say, so just let the subject go.

2 minutes ago, Almar said:

I'm telling you all, Miyamoto has given more leeway on how developers and others can depict Super Mario than Iizuka apparently does.

If Miyamoto had his way, there probably wouldn't be a Super Mario comic. Remember that he hates story. Also, all the supporting characters besides Peach and Luigi would be Toads.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

If IDW does a Classic comic someday, you'll see those characters in that. Sega choosing to separate their sub brands is just how it goes.

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

If Miyamoto had his way, there probably wouldn't be a Super Mario comic.

Well, there isn't a Super Mario comic, and looking at Archie's history with Sonic, I don't really blame Nintendo for not wanting to risk it becoming...whatever the fuck Archie Sonic became for a good half of its run.

• Thumbs Up 1

There's another new cover for issue 9 though- also drawn by Fourdraine-

tumblr_pc4txjDWi41rplhyso1_1280.jpg

Also more issue 8 covers!

tumblr_pc4tkzdVsI1rplhyso1_1280.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Remember that he hates story.

None of this, please...

It's not true, it's just a weird exaggeration on what he actually believes. People keep doing this and it's why a lot of people believed that he hated Donkey Kong Country.

• Thumbs Up 5

Gotta say, not a fan of the Hooligans being barred.

Also, regarding Whisper? I’m always more in favor of recycling old characters into places than creating new ones (not saying it’s a deal breaker if they have new ones tho *looks and adores the Egg Bosses*), but I really like Whisper’s design. Wonder where she’ll sit?

21 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

None of this, please...

It's not true, it's just a weird exaggeration on what he actually believes. People keep doing this and it's why a lot of people believed that he hated Donkey Kong Country.

I thought the reason it's rumored that he hated DKC was because of its focus on graphics over gameplay.