Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

4 minutes ago, Razule said:

So apparently they really can't use the Hooligans..

I guess the mention was just an unfortunate mistake

I can understand not using them in the Modern games, because there are enough useless characters as is, but comics benefit from having a huge cast.  Why take away that option?

1 minute ago, Jambone said:

I can understand not using them in the Modern games, because there are enough useless characters as is, but comics benefit from having a huge cast.  Why take away that option?

I try to be positive about it:

-At least we get them in Mania and its animated cartoon.

-In the comics 5 less classic characters makes room for 5 new characters.

2 minutes ago, Jambone said:

To keep the Classic and Modern brands separate.

1 minute ago, Razule said:

To keep the Classic and Modern brands separate.

At least maybe they'll make a three-second cameo in Sonic Mania 2 when it comes out in 10 years.

2 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

If they truly wanna keep them separate they need to remove the phantom ruby from one of them. 

Not necessarily, as the Phantom Ruby is just an element of one game. Separating the brand isn't having no crossover or no link.

2 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

@Marco9966 Hooligans weren’t in Mania Adventures(?)

I mean in a potential second season or a mania sequel.

Just now, Kazhnuz said:

Not necessarily, as the Phantom Ruby is just an element of one game.

Or rename it. In one game it's an teleportation device, in another it's an illusion device.

It's basically 2 different rocks.

14 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

Probably the biggest takeaways from the comic are 1. it's a one shot rather than an issue of the main comic. 2. It's written by Caleb Goellner rather than Ian.

Yeah unlike Archie IDW tend to actually make separate books for their extra stories. 

As for Caleb I've only read his SPD story in this year's MMPR annual. It was good. He had a strong grasp on those characters and it was a fun read. Not sure how well he'll do on Sonic but we'll see. 

1 minute ago, Marco9966 said:

Or rename it. In one game it's an teleportation device, in another it's an illusion device. 

It's basically 2 different rocks. 

The Phantom Ruby power aren't really explained in Sonic Mania. And the Hardboiled Heavies haven't been really teleported 😛

And tbh changing the Phantom Ruby isn't important for brand separation. Having some important element existing only on one licence to have separate branding doesn't force to have no crossovers or no element that are common. The Hooligan, Might and Ray can be reserved for the classic franchsie because they can be something that help this sub-licence to be unique. A bit like Modern will have it's own set of character outside of the main ones.

Just now, Kazhnuz said:

The Phantom Ruby power aren't really explained in Sonic Mania. And the Hardboiled Heavies haven't been really teleported 😛

And tbh changing the Phantom Ruby isn't important for brand separation. Having some important element existing only on one licence to have separate branding doesn't force to have no crossovers or no element that are common. The Hooligan, Might and Ray can be reserved for the classic franchsie because they can be something that help this sub-licence to be unique. A bit like Modern will have it's own set of character outside of the main ones.

The thing is I consider Mania in the same timline as Forces and not a cheap parallel universe.

So Eggman can't discover this rock in Mania and forget about it then discover it again in Forces. It gotta be different rocks. (my headcanon to solve this fucked up separate dimensions thing),

16 minutes ago, Razule said:

Could just be wearing a visor. 

Looks more like she keeps her eyes squinted most of the time. There's a pic of her with her eyes open and they're yellow, so that's probably some sort of "power mode".

16 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

The thing is I consider Mania in the same timline as Forces and not a cheap parallel universe. 

So Eggman can't discover this rock in Mania and forget about it then discover it again in Forces. It gotta be different rocks. (my headcanon to solve this fucked up separate dimensions thing), 

It's like in software : if you are doing something that isn't expected by the setting, don't expect it to be supported by it, because it won't be. You can add and chance everything you want in your headcanon, but it won't be what the licence and other people will have to support. So it doesn't *have* to be different rocks. Our headcanon (and it does include main, maybe all my headcanon about how works the two timeline or the two worlds will be broken) are basically unsupported stuff, and we get to keep the pieces if it break.