Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

I'm not anywhere near as upset about it as I am with the FFs since at least the Hooligans have a chance of appearing in future classic-related media - it wouldn't surprise me if IDW made a spiritual continuation of Mega Drive - but it's still dumb. I expected this to be the case even when Sonic name-dropped them as a collective in issue 3. Just seemed like a vague easter egg with enough plausible deniability where Ian could avoid claiming it specifically was referring to Nack, Bean, and Bark themselves.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

21 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Was there anything said about the FFs?

As far as I know, nothing yet aside for no appearances this year.

1 hour ago, Sean said:

I'm not anywhere near as upset about it as I am with the FFs since at least the Hooligans have a chance of appearing in future classic-related media - it wouldn't surprise me if IDW made a spiritual continuation of Mega Drive - but it's still dumb. I expected this to be the case even when Sonic name-dropped them as a collective in issue 3. Just seemed like a vague easter egg with enough plausible deniability where Ian could avoid claiming it specifically was referring to Nack, Bean, and Bark themselves.

Now i just hope that easter egg remains an easter egg, and they don't create the totally not Nack, Bean and Bark and name them "The Hooligans", just please don't.

Very well said. For the readers, constructive feedback and patience are the answers to the solution.

Also,

8 hours ago, Almar said:

-Cream apparently is embargoed. Not even appearing in Sonic Forces (it's not like it'd be impossible to make her a non-combatant)

Um, are you forgetting issue 9?

• Thumbs Up 2

18 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:
Here's something that might alleviate some of your fears. 

It's true that Sonic Team can't be depended on for consistency.  First they separate the Classic and Modern brand, and then they immediately put them straight back together again in Forces...

Maybe i'm alone on this , but characters being separated via branding isn't concerning, makes sense. 

I'm kinda more concerned about the story telling going forward. I hope they establish both game and comic characters more than they have. That's all that I want.

• Thumbs Up 3

As for Whisper's eyes, Evan Stanley said that they are almost always squinty, like Brock from Pokemon.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Maybe i'm alone on this , but characters being separated via branding isn't concerning, makes sense. 

I'm kinda more concerned about the story telling going forward. I hope they establish both game and comic characters more than they have. That's all that I want.

Same. I think it could be nice to give characters downtime once in awhile.

Just now, RedFox99 said:

Same. I think it could be nice to give characters downtime once in awhile.

I think my...disdain for the shadow comic is well documented at this point. I think shadow, rouge and some of the other characters like Tangle or tails who didn't get the most or maybe need redone characterization will get better over time. I want to hang out with them, so those characters can get better, before we even begin to start talking about " Remember Mighty " . 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I think my...disdain for the shadow comic is well documented at this point. I think shadow, rouge and some of the other characters like Tangle or tails who didn't get the most or maybe need redone characterization will get better over time. I want to hang out with them, so those characters can get better, before we even begin to start talking about " Remember Mighty " . 

Yeah, especially since Rouge didn't do alot.

32 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

As for Whisper's eyes, Evan Stanley said that they are almost always squinty, like Brock from Pokemon.

So it's an anime thing...

Where characters just have their eyes closed by default...

11 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

I like when they take inspiration from anime (like Big and Myazaki movies), also this creates diversity in the characters, not every characters has perfectly oval eyes.

21 hours ago, Forte-Metallix said:

We've got our first look at Whisper the Wolf!

Evan's killing it with character designs as always!

A Wolf, huh? Hm. Not too sure about that color scheme.

Honestly, she gives me Infinite+Bunnie vibes.

Some interesting stuff. New character looks cool, the new story arc looks like that after a slow burn so far, things may really begin to heat up in terms of stakes and plot, and hey, we get 1 new comic to tie-in with the new game, a bit like those specials they did in the 90s tying into the latest Game Gear releases and other spin-offs.

Yeah, got to be honest, the whole classic and modern split is very annoying. But at the risk of being too optimistic, I am hoping that Sega's insistence on this split means that there must be a Mania 2 in development to justify all of this.

21 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Speaking of Issue 7...

Hide contents

tumblr_pc4fakq0MS1x0dt7zo1_540.jpgtumblr_pc4fctYOEv1x0dt7zo1_540.jpgtumblr_pc4ff5VrVG1x0dt7zo1_540.jpg

21 hours ago, Razule said:

So apparently they really can't use the Hooligans..

I guess the mention was just an unfortunate mistake

Or oversight in this case.

Guess the Hooligans can be something else then.

20 hours ago, MightyRay said:

So about Whisper, anyone get the feeling she might be blind?

Eh, maybe? Probably just doing that Asian-caricuture thing by squinting most of the time.

It'd be some shit if she was deaf, though.

20 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

If they truly wanna keep them separate they need to remove the phantom ruby from one of them.

They did. Sonic, Classic, and Buddy blew the thing up.

20 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

I mean in a potential second season or a mania sequel.

Or rename it. In one game it's an teleportation device, in another it's an illusion device.

It's basically 2 different rocks.

It also upgraded the Hardboiled Heavies and transported(or projected) Classic into Modern's City Zone.

21 hours ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

Finally, the Sonic/Nier Automata crossover we always wanted.

Just make sure to compact your "fanart" into a single file so Evan Stanley can download it easily.

21 hours ago, Sgt Nate V said:

I wish she was a mouse like the fake 4chan leak said. She looks like you would be able to make her in Forces.

It had a nice ring to it.

21 hours ago, NikoS said:

It sure is, they are using a lot of the Forces clothing items in the designs.

I wonder if we'll see a walking spring in the future

Hide contents

maxresdefault.jpg

Who the hell builds a Bumperman anyway?

20 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I fucking hate SEGA right now.

I mean, one of the biggest things I liked about Pre-boot and Post-boot is that Ian put characters forgotten by SEGA to new use with new twists. Now he can't even do THAT now.

SEGA really IS limiting Ian, and I'm fucking sick of it.

Yeah, I've been kinda gettin that vibe with this comic for a while now.

20 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

Next, they get writers who aren’t even as good as him to write. Their OC characters aren’t even as good as his. 

...What?

But there are still plenty of disused Dreamcast and up characters in the franchise to use.

Assuming they aren't dead and/or otherwise off limits, anyway.

20 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

And the worst part is, Ian seems to be okay with this shit.

I wouldn't say he's okay with it so much as just working with what creative freedom he's been given. He's been doing this for years, you know.

Maybe he can even make someone like Yacker likab... oh wait, have you seen his Boom episodes? 

Sigh...okay, what's wrong with Yacker?

18 hours ago, NikoS said:

Whisper fan-art, she's cute.

Looking at this much more visible image of her, I'm guessing she's meant to be a good(if still somewhat mysterious/creepy) spy/operative compared to Rouge and Shadow.

18 hours ago, Fusion-Ellipsis said:

tumblr_pc4tkzdVsI1rplhyso1_1280.jpg

Thought that was Mystery Monster in the middle for a second.

But nah, they're just parodying Darkwing Duck.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Note how Evan said Whisper almost always has her eyes squinted. Almost. Like I said earlier, she's probably in a "power mode" when her eyes are open.

A power mode where she's ready to rip apart any Phantomite that comes her way.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, StaticMania said:

None of this, please...

It's not true, it's just a weird exaggeration on what he actually believes. People keep doing this and it's why a lot of people believed that he hated Donkey Kong Country.

Donkey Kong Country had much story to begin with?

18 hours ago, StaticMania said:

He doesn't hate it, his "graphics over gameplay" comment was a response to the people who wanted the next Mario game to look like DKC.

What's that? Fans take things officials say out of context and perpetuate negativity?

STOP THE PRESSES!

18 hours ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

Those covers make me believe Whisper is some kind of villain character, or even an anti-hero...

HECK YES, I say. This comic could use more of those.

I think that's an intentional misdirect. 

18 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

covers are opposites to eachother. Sonic and Silver in a crosshair in one, and the same artwork of Sonic reflected in Whisper’s eye in the other.

Neat.

Oh really? I didn't notice that.

16 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

I noticed a lot of the IDW cast have unusually colored muzzles. Tangle’s faded blue and now Whisper’s dark gray. 

So, a few of them then?

15 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Why would she be wearing a mask under a mask?

To eat ramen, silly.

14 hours ago, Gumbit said:

I don't understand why can't have  Fang , Bean and Bark in both classic and modern timeline like Amy , Tails , Knuckles , Metal Sonic and Chaotix .

The Chaotix apparently don't count anymore until further notice.

14 hours ago, Gumbit said:

I don't even understand making an OC that look like it came from deviantart when there plenty official of characters to use ?

Because they're meant to fill roles and niches few if any of the game cast does.

13 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

just because the hooligan's first appearance was with black eyes+no updated modern design 

What now?

12 hours ago, Almar said:

Even if he did, he hardly stops other developers from doing more for story. Even for Paper Mario all evidence points to Tanabe being significantly more responsible for the plots in Sticker Star to Color Splash.

No doubt who has more leeway.

I think Miyamoto's philosophy was that story itself should be secondary based on what the particular game is doing. And to his credit, it did mostly work out up until this decade, where it started to get a bit too arbitary and inhibiting for it's own good. Sticker Star ended up the way it did because he felt they couldn't appropriately distinguish/top Thousand Year Door without doing something severely different.

Sonic's seemingly adoption of a similar philosophy around the same time has unfortunately done him more harm than good in the long run beyond the first attempt.

12 hours ago, Almar said:

-Cream apparently is embargoed. Not even appearing in Sonic Forces (it's not like it'd be impossible to make her a non-combatant)

To be slightly fair on the Cream thing as someone who likes her, the recurring shortcutting with her.

Even with the Archie mandate limiting how much she was involved in the action, the comic did more character-centric stuff with her than the games themselves ever did, actually helped distinguish her from the other characters, and yet she still got to participate in most of her appearances.  And her absence from Force is really just a egregious little oddity in a game that already had a number of bigger issues due to how it was obviously biting off way more than it could reasonably chew.

In fact, Team Racing is the first time I feel undeniably concerned specifically because of what it is(a friggin Kartracer with Sonic and Shadow at the forefront) and how it's chosen to distinguish itself(the Team setup, which was first mainly established in Heroes). The trend itself only makes things feel worse.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Who the hell builds a Bumperman anyway?

Maybe this guy... dunno.

latest?cb=20180424161350

• Chuckle 2

4 hours ago, NikoS said:

Now i just hope that easter egg remains an easter egg, and they don't create the totally not Nack, Bean and Bark and name them "The Hooligans", just please don't.

Yeah, I was thinking about that myself.

4 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Here's something that might alleviate some of your fears. 

Know what else could do some alleviating?

Spoiler

You including Parts 2-7 of that message.

4 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Also,

Um, are you forgetting issue 9?

I think he mainly means in the context of the games themselves lately.

3 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

I second that.

3 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

2 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Yeah, I figured.

2 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

I like when they take inspiration from anime (like Big and Myazaki movies), also this creates diversity in the characters, not every characters has perfectly oval eyes.

Implying there are more than, like, 2 recurring characters with those.

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

Official picture for Whisper:

37585461_10215576969564557_7014539582804

Okay, that's considerably better.

Mm.... Bottom Middle one looks like a Crashman situation.

• Nice Smile 1