Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

18 hours ago, StaticMania said:

None of this, please...

It's not true, it's just a weird exaggeration on what he actually believes. People keep doing this and it's why a lot of people believed that he hated Donkey Kong Country.

Donkey Kong Country had much story to begin with?

18 hours ago, StaticMania said:

He doesn't hate it, his "graphics over gameplay" comment was a response to the people who wanted the next Mario game to look like DKC.

What's that? Fans take things officials say out of context and perpetuate negativity?

STOP THE PRESSES!

18 hours ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

Those covers make me believe Whisper is some kind of villain character, or even an anti-hero...

HECK YES, I say. This comic could use more of those.

I think that's an intentional misdirect. 

18 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

covers are opposites to eachother. Sonic and Silver in a crosshair in one, and the same artwork of Sonic reflected in Whisper’s eye in the other.

Neat.

Oh really? I didn't notice that.

16 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

I noticed a lot of the IDW cast have unusually colored muzzles. Tangle’s faded blue and now Whisper’s dark gray. 

So, a few of them then?

15 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Why would she be wearing a mask under a mask?

To eat ramen, silly.

14 hours ago, Gumbit said:

I don't understand why can't have  Fang , Bean and Bark in both classic and modern timeline like Amy , Tails , Knuckles , Metal Sonic and Chaotix .

The Chaotix apparently don't count anymore until further notice.

14 hours ago, Gumbit said:

I don't even understand making an OC that look like it came from deviantart when there plenty official of characters to use ?

Because they're meant to fill roles and niches few if any of the game cast does.

13 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

just because the hooligan's first appearance was with black eyes+no updated modern design 

What now?

12 hours ago, Almar said:

Even if he did, he hardly stops other developers from doing more for story. Even for Paper Mario all evidence points to Tanabe being significantly more responsible for the plots in Sticker Star to Color Splash.

No doubt who has more leeway.

I think Miyamoto's philosophy was that story itself should be secondary based on what the particular game is doing. And to his credit, it did mostly work out up until this decade, where it started to get a bit too arbitary and inhibiting for it's own good. Sticker Star ended up the way it did because he felt they couldn't appropriately distinguish/top Thousand Year Door without doing something severely different.

Sonic's seemingly adoption of a similar philosophy around the same time has unfortunately done him more harm than good in the long run beyond the first attempt.

12 hours ago, Almar said:

-Cream apparently is embargoed. Not even appearing in Sonic Forces (it's not like it'd be impossible to make her a non-combatant)

To be slightly fair on the Cream thing as someone who likes her, the recurring shortcutting with her.

Even with the Archie mandate limiting how much she was involved in the action, the comic did more character-centric stuff with her than the games themselves ever did, actually helped distinguish her from the other characters, and yet she still got to participate in most of her appearances.  And her absence from Force is really just a egregious little oddity in a game that already had a number of bigger issues due to how it was obviously biting off way more than it could reasonably chew.

In fact, Team Racing is the first time I feel undeniably concerned specifically because of what it is(a friggin Kartracer with Sonic and Shadow at the forefront) and how it's chosen to distinguish itself(the Team setup, which was first mainly established in Heroes). The trend itself only makes things feel worse.

4 hours ago, NikoS said:

Now i just hope that easter egg remains an easter egg, and they don't create the totally not Nack, Bean and Bark and name them "The Hooligans", just please don't.

Yeah, I was thinking about that myself.

4 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Here's something that might alleviate some of your fears. 

Know what else could do some alleviating?

Spoiler

You including Parts 2-7 of that message.

4 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Also,

Um, are you forgetting issue 9?

I think he mainly means in the context of the games themselves lately.

3 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

I'm kinda more concerned about the story telling going forward. I hope they establish both game and comic characters more than they have. That's all that I want.

I second that.

3 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

As for Whisper's eyes, Evan Stanley said that they are almost always squinty, like Brock from Pokemon.

2 hours ago, StaticMania said:

So it's an anime thing...

Where characters just have their eyes closed by default...

Yeah, I figured.

2 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

I like when they take inspiration from anime (like Big and Myazaki movies), also this creates diversity in the characters, not every characters has perfectly oval eyes.

Implying there are more than, like, 2 recurring characters with those.

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

Official picture for Whisper:

37585461_10215576969564557_7014539582804

Okay, that's considerably better.

Mm.... Bottom Middle one looks like a Crashman situation.

3 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Official picture for Whisper:

37585461_10215576969564557_7014539582804

I really like how the closed eyes give a unique way of emoting for the character, as well as how the mask's design (which btw kind of reminds me of some of the angels from Evangelion) changes the way that the character is perceived. Would be cool if it also affected her personality as well, being reflected in how Whisper acts.

Also while I'm not much of a fan of using black on Sonic characters, the other colors make a pretty nice combination. 

They're really making much better designed OC's than what was seen even in the post-reboot Archie when characters where being made to resemble more the style of the game cast.

29 minutes ago, Flyinpenguin117 said:

Explain this then

Sonic_RIcover_09-675x1024.jpg

I'll be honest--even though I already did my own comments on the topic and saw that cover a while back, it took me a second to actually find Cream with this coloring style.

I guess the new characters like Whisper and Tangle are Ians versions of the SatAM characters for now until something gives on the offical ones like Sally, Bunnie, Antione, Rotor etc...

11 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

I guess the new characters like Whisper and Tangle are Ians versions of the SatAM characters for now until something gives on the offical ones like Sally, Bunnie, Antione, Rotor etc...

Naw, that's definitely not it.

From-what-we-can-tell-from-her Whisper, Rough n' Tumble, ideally-their-future-boss Mystery Monster, and Tangle are clearly/openly meant serve different roles/niches for the IDW book compared to the gamecast and the same can certainly be said from either version of the Freedom Fighters.

Perhaps, i mean without knowing the freedom fighters will ever appear again this is a good way to still put them in as new character fill ins.

I still wish they will come back, i know I know they are unofficial but dammit we have had a long comic book series with them in it why not bring them back somehow even if by proxy?

I still care about them, someone has to hold on to hope maybe they will come back

1 hour ago, antyep said:

I have a feeling IF the Freedom Fighters do return, they’ll be limited to ‘Classic characters’ only.

It's a possibility, but first, a Classic Sonic comic would have to be a certainty.

So my local comic book store messed up and missed out on getting me issues 2, 3 and 4. But today on a random trip out to Manchester I found the boxset is issues 1 through 4 which I jumped at the chance to get. It's also supposed to contain a sketch variant cover of the first issue, but, well...

9CF6EDC9-8D3D-4D09-B007-D36BEF19EDF6.jpeg.af7e3dbc72b520d5fbcfdf72792d59b9.jpeg

It's totally blank. Any ideas What's going on here? Is this a misprint?

8 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

So my local comic book store messed up and missed out on getting me issues 2, 3 and 4. But today on a random trip out to Manchester I found the boxset is issues 1 through 4 which I jumped at the chance to get. It's also supposed to contain a sketch variant cover of the first issue, but, well...

It's not a misprint, it's deliberately blank. From what little research I did, IDW does these for box sets, and their point is to give professional artists in conventions so that they can sketch the cover for ya.

For example, this is Tracy Yardley's version of "sketch variant cover" (aka Tracy sketched it themselves and it's been sold for 40 bucks dayum)

Btw this website looks really unfinished, with placeholders and such, but that's going off-topic.

7 minutes ago, Bobnik said:

It's not a misprint, it's deliberately blank. From what little research I did, IDW does these for box sets, and their point is to give professional artists in conventions so that they can sketch the cover for ya.

For example, this is Tracy Yardley's version of "sketch variant cover" (aka Tracy sketched it themselves and it's been sold for 40 bucks dayum)

Btw this website looks really unfinished, with placeholders and such, but that's going off-topic.

That's... Lame. I was expecting a "sketch variant" to be the lineart or something. No biggie. I'm no interested in going after the variants anyway. I just got this one because it was in the set.

Thanks for clearing it up.

27 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Is this really not a well known concept? You take it to cons for a sketch. It's pretty simple.

Yeah that cover is deliberately awful, what's the point? They should be more creative with their variants.

Btw Ian Brought a lot of good points:

- Mario is even more fractured, between Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi, NSMB, Galaxy and main line Mario. Sonic has only 2 sub brands right now, as Boom is dead.

- Anything is subject to change, Classic Sonic wasn't a thing not too long ago, Mighty and Ray were dead in the game verse. I know some prefer them being in a comic but they are still being used more.

- ...They are being used more than the Modern cast, which we have barely seen this year, there is a lot to esplore just with those characters, plus bringing a couple of new ones to have something new to the table.

As I said, interesting points.

24 minutes ago, Bobnik said:

That's... Lame. I was expecting a "sketch variant" to be the lineart or something. No biggie. I'm no interested in going after the variants anyway. I just got this one because it was in the set.

Thanks for clearing it up.

@SBR2 Maybe? I don't know anything about comics. I'm as casual as you can get on regards to them, collecting these ones purely because I'm interested in seeing if the new Sonic comic is any good. This particular type of variant is pretty naff for anyone not hugely invested in the comic fandom. Not complaining, but eh.

1 hour ago, Drifting Jack said:

- Mario is even more fractured, between Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi, NSMB, Galaxy and main line Mario. Sonic has only 2 sub brands right now, as Boom is dead.

TIL Galaxy was separate from main Mario.

7 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Oh bloody hell not this argument again...

I'm assuming you're talking about the one that stunk up this thread a bit before and during the buildup to April.