Jump to content
Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

Shadow hasn't been important or in forefront constantly in over 10 years, even after 06. It's always been Sonic n friends(Blaze is written with more ties to the main lead as a buddy than Shadow), while Shadow and his team is put in fanservice roles instead of being in story roles for some small minority of fanservice. 

Am I the only who no longer can follow those arguments? I'm sorry, what is the argumentation here?

That Blaze is treated better than Shadow? (look at Generations, Boom, or IDK, Forces). Nope
That Blaze is more 'friendly with Sonic that Shadow? Umm, true I guess. Is that a problem?
That Shadow just appears to appeal to his fans? Umm, that's how it work? That's exactly how it worked in Heroes or 06?

Ok, the fact that Shadow no longer gets extra treatment. That I see and agree upon. Yes, Shadow is still "first among many", but no longer gets his own villains, stories, etc. As a Shadow fan, I think it kinda sucks.

But you know, 10 years passed and I kinda accepted it. I still voice my hopes for spin-off comic or DLC for Mania, but I won't boo story/game/character for not having Shadow in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

In short, at this point Shadow is an irrelevant character who currently has no place in the games and is only staying around due to his popularity.

K, for the record, I read your whole post. But I singled this part out to make a general, overall statement on this matter because it happens often enough that it needs to be addressed.

Can we stop saying “X character is irrelevant who and has no place in the games and is only around because of his popularity”? Because to put it bluntly, the “irrelevant” part is absolute nonsense. The same can be said for most if not the whole cast—especially Knuckles, who it’s no secret that many of the same people who make these comments go out of their way to defend and say otherwise that he’s important for whatever reason (most common reason being he’s “part of the main trio” or a “classic character” as if that means he can show up whenever) as opposed to the same standards and merits they judge characters like Shadow. You could say that about the whole cast, up to and including Tails as of late, but I know many would never even bother for some pretty obvious reasons.

These days it’s really just another way of coming off as “I hate this popular character and he should be gone for my sake” and means fuck all regarding relevance. A personal dislike of a character doesn’t equate to them having no place. And whether you actually meant it that way or not, actually think about that statement and the sense that really makes, because I can tell you one thing for sure—it has very little (hell, I’d argue it has absolutely nothing) to do with actual relevance to the series.

More to it, it’s not impossible nor as difficult as people like to act to make a character relevant. We should know better than this by now.

————————————

More to the topic on Whisper, I’m actually eager to see her in action now that we can see her personal Wispon.

I really like how creative they were with Wispon technology too. I’ve always said that they should use the Wisps as more than one-time power ups if they’re to stick around, and if this were the games, I could see Wispons like Whisper’s opening the door for a lot of mechanics.

Heck, they almost could return gunplay into the games with these instead of the realistic guns that were used in ShTH. I could see a lot of variety in this alone. As much as Forces tanked, I’ll give some good credit to Sonic Team for this idea that the comics are expanding on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

K, for the record, I read your whole post. But I singled this part out to make a general, overall statement on this matter because it happens often enough that it needs to be addressed.

Can we stop saying “X character is irrelevant who and has no place in the games and is only around because of his popularity”? Because to put it bluntly, the “irrelevant” part is absolute nonsense. The same can be said for most if not the whole cast—especially Knuckles, who it’s no secret that many of the same people who make these comments go out of their way to defend and say otherwise that he’s important for whatever reason (most common reason being he’s “part of the main trio” or a “classic character” as if that means he can show up whenever) as opposed to the same standards and merits they judge characters like Shadow. You could say that about the whole cast, up to and including Tails as of late, but I know many would never even bother for some pretty obvious reasons.

These days it’s really just another way of coming off as “I hate this popular character and he should be gone for my sake” and means fuck all regarding relevance. A personal dislike of a character doesn’t equate to them having no place. And whether you actually meant it that way or not, actually think about that statement and the sense that really makes, because I can tell you one thing for sure—it has very little (hell, I’d argue it has absolutely nothing) to do with actual relevance to the series.

More to it, it’s not impossible nor as difficult as people like to act to make a character relevant. We should know better than this by now.

I see your point, though I could easily take the stance of everyone being irrelevant with Knuckles and Shadow taking the lead. To be fair though, and leaving things more open to discussion, perhaps a better way to address the topic of Shadow's use in the games would have been to address how compatible his preferred use as a narrative heavy, dark counter part to Sonic is in the lighthearted action sitcom direction SEGA/Sonic Team have been presenting. While arguably a skilled writer can make that work, just forcing Shadow in to draw in his fans is a disservice to those fans as well the company on a whole as it creates distrust and lost revenue which is why I currently take the stance of Shadow not fitting in with the current direction SEGA/Sonic Team have been driving the games. As for the current comics, since he doesn't seem to have much of a role in Flynn's current story, forcing him in as I feel like he has been at this point seems like a disservice to his fans that will do not but harm the comic and fan trust in the interim before he really explores Shadow as a part of his narrative later on. Sure, it's all well and fine for us to discuss what we hope to see, but when we start demanding based on a character perception that does not fit the current direction or story being told we are simply setting ourselves up for disappointment and potentially at worst making ourselves a menace to our fellow forum goers.

That should be enough there though so I'll try to follow your lead

13 hours ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

————————————

More to the topic on Whisper, I’m actually eager to see her in action now that we can see her personal Wispon.

I really like how creative they were with Wispon technology too. I’ve always said that they should use the Wisps as more than one-time power ups if they’re to stick around, and if this were the games, I could see Wispons like Whisper’s opening the door for a lot of mechanics.

Heck, they almost could return gunplay into the games with these instead of the realistic guns that were used in ShTH. I could see a lot of variety in this alone. As much as Forces tanked, I’ll give some good credit to Sonic Team for this idea that the comics are expanding on.

and talk about Whisper.

16 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Evan revealed more information about Whisper! :D

DjEDNQQV4AEbtOi.jpgDjEDPI4U0AEWen-.jpg

 

While I still feel that she is a little over designed and kind of busy I do agree that her use of Wisps is a nice evolution of the Wispon concept from Forces. As for adding gun play back into the games I could see it working with Shadow if you had the option more so to use his Chaos Spears as his default projectile command with the currently held wisp changing his projectile and offering him the other wisp functionality all combined with clean Sonic controls unlike the Avatar.

16 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Okay, so I've just caught up with issues 1 through 4. This is my first time ever following a Sonic comic series, and I must want to say what an absolute delight it is. Things have started out relatively simple, introducing the cast and setting the SCD scene. No major plot events yet, nothing dramatic, nothing much to talk about content wise. But the characters are all wonderful. Seriously. This is brilliant. I've got issues 5 through 7 here to read, and I can't wait to get stuck in.

I'm so glad the IDW comics are a blank slate.

Your enthusiasm will definitely be rewarded moving forward so I hope you enjoy the next 3 as much as the first 4. And i definitely agree that the relatively blank slate that the IDW comics are working from plays to the strengths of Flynn's ability to weave in game elements into a comprehensive and fun narrative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone else really love the retail incentive variant covers on the IDW Sonic? I love Tyson’s work on issues 1-4, but these are just beautiful! And what I’ve seen of the IDW’s artwork from 1-7 has been fantastic so far. Really looking forward to reading more

BF5B6AC7-6A20-43AB-B334-0B1C02107C4F.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. I do not really want to get into the whole shadow discussion but sega jp did just post a character popularity result and sonic won with 31% and shadow was at 30% so pretty much their poster children

2. I got the varient of issue 7 and its beautiful and its like a mini hardback? Not sure how to explain the amazing quality of the varient

3. Issue 7 holy crap is all i can say. the artwork, story, everything my god the fights!!! I really hope neo sticks around cause just wow. They even show sonic picking with him losing that form the first time. The issue was just perfect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Meta77 said:

1. I do not really want to get into the whole shadow discussion but sega jp did just post a character popularity result and sonic won with 31% and shadow was at 30% so pretty much their poster children

2. I got the varient of issue 7 and its beautiful and its like a mini hardback? Not sure how to explain the amazing quality of the varient

3. Issue 7 holy crap is all i can say. the artwork, story, everything my god the fights!!! I really hope neo sticks around cause just wow. They even show sonic picking with him losing that form the first time. The issue was just perfect.

That's why Shadow is the main rival in TSR and not Jet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2018 at 12:31 PM, Meta77 said:

Nah I'd rather they keep the neo form. Much more threatening.  plus the neo form gives him the ability to talk opening up for a larger plot. Just the old beeper metal was cool but got boring fast since there's only so much a silent bot can do. Thankfully a lot of people like his return. Granted it depends on what artist get a HD of him to make him look bad as like this issue

This is a late reply but: Metal can talk in his normal form too. He has one last line in Heroes, more recently there's Generations (yeah it was only in text boxes but whatever), and going by comics SEGA didn't seem to mind him talking post-reboot either. They just don't like him talking when it involves voice acting, apparently. It's one of those weird SEGA things I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Metal Sonic talked in the OVA...

He's just the stoic type...

He talked through Sonics mind. He had nothing to say. Even when looking up  a skirt lol

6 hours ago, Celestia said:

This is a late reply but: Metal can talk in his normal form too. He has one last line in Heroes, more recently there's Generations (yeah it was only in text boxes but whatever), and going by comics SEGA didn't seem to mind him talking post-reboot either. They just don't like him talking when it involves voice acting, apparently. It's one of those weird SEGA things I guess.

I remember it was after the final fight saying sky he couldn't win or something

And josefa japan if they are still like the 90s self usually gets the final say in what is to be done

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

You're right, I totally forgot Sonic's non-existant psychic ability...to read minds.

Well either that or he speaks Bleep-Bloop.

Actually though I'd guess what was going on is, since Metal had all of Sonic's memories and Tails hacked him to bring out more of Sonic's personality, they were so in sync by the end that Sonic knew what Metal was thinking even without him having to say it. "I know everything you're going to do" etc, but even moreso.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Man, OVA Metal is so much better than actual Metal. He's all honorable and stuff. Not a sore woser wit a git.

 

Maybe this Metal Sonic can be like that, since he was in a winning position...won't know yet how he'll take a loss.

What if this Metal was kind of like Grand Admiral Thrawn: cut his loses and know when to retreat instead of continuing a battle where the initiative is lost and wasting resources because of a misplaced ego.

From what they show, IDW's Metal seems to be more concerned with serving his master and delivering results (especially with that speech of how ONLY Eggman is worthy to rule and lead) than in gaining his favor for some ulterior purpose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do have to wonder though, once Eggman is back in charge will Metal stay Neo if he hasn't lost the form by then or will he be reverted to a high speed anti-Sonic enforcer while Eggman attempts to restructure his empire?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.