Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

16 hours ago, Nestor said:

Was it Earth in Sonic Advance 3 though, or Sonic's world? 😜

15 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Sonic's World, obviously. Though it's possible that Route 99 is indeed in the United Nation, depending on how much influence Eggman was able to have on the makeup of each Zone.

Green Hill and Angel Island both say Advance 3, like every other game in the series, must be set on Earth.

3 minutes ago, Bowbowis said:

Green Hill and Angel Island both say Advance 3, like every other game in the series, must be set on Earth.

And Sonic Adventure 2 says Shadow is dead, yet here we are! Every other game he's not there and I think they've finally fixed it, but nope, he's back the next one! SEGA and their faulty continuity.

17 minutes ago, Bowbowis said:

...What?

Nah, Green Hill is definitely in Sonic's World, while Angel Island floats with Master Emerald power. At least by post-2010 status quo.

15 minutes ago, Razule said:

And Sonic Adventure 2 says Shadow is dead, yet here we are! Every other game he's not there and I think they've finally fixed it, but nope, he's back the next one! SEGA and their faulty continuity.

Didn't see the body afterwards.

Just a severe concussion.

I've been out of this topic for a while, but i see we had yet another discussion about the FF case, should/will they return or not, and all that, and y'know, despite this still being the biggest thing surrounding this comic for me, i just... stopped caring about it, don't get me wrong, i'd be lying if i said i don't want to see these characters again, but i'm way past the point of accepting that we may never see them in a official media ever again, still, despite all that, one thing always comes to my mind when this topic is mentioned: We know that it's up to SEGA to approve or not the characters for the comic, and one of the main points that are brought to explain why they won't allow these characters to be used is "They don't represent the brand" or "They are not sonic-y enough" , so, let me get this straight,

You are saying that this represents your brand...

DZt04rm_VAAAb_EIY.jpg

...and this doesn't ?!

STL035872?type=1

knuckles-the-echidna-sonic-boom-0.75.jpgDuly noted.

sometimes i do feel sanic represents the brand perfectly tho, which is sad...

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Fist Bump 1

31 minutes ago, Razule said:

Congratulations. You not only totally failed to refute anything I said, you also took a massive detour from the topic a hand to take a dump on Shadow for no reason. A character being revealed to have survived a seemingly fatal event is in no way comparable to the franchise's director pulling something out of his ass which invalidates all prior world building and blows a gaping hole in the series' internal logic.

Seriously, if you wanted to pick on contradictions in the series' continuity you could have at least used Blaze or Nega's backstories instead of Shadow's survival, which had a whole 1.25 game story arc dedicated to addressing it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, NikoS said:

We know that it's up to SEGA to approve or not the characters for the comic, and one of the main points that are brought to explain why they won't allow these characters to be used is "They don't represent the brand" or "They are not sonic-y enough" , so, let me get this straight,

You are saying that this represents your brand...

DZt04rm_VAAAb_EIY.jpg

...and this doesn't ?!

STL035872?type=1

I mean it's not as if they've introduced Sanic as an actual, canon character. Making a few mostly out-of-media references to a goofy meme is an entirely different matter from deciding what characters are going to be major players in a new comic.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

I need my double Sonic fix a month! We need a second book! (Sonic Universe)

So instead of buying only one issue, let's also buy the variant to show IDW we want more!!

You know, considering the whole legal fears and concerns that spin around using fan created context, can someone tell me what the origin is of Sanic and it's design. If SEGA didn't create that themselves but are making monetary gains off of its use isn't that a bad case of plagiarism? And if it isn't, what other fan made designs could SEGA just freely adapt if they wanted to? I know of at least one I'd like to see played with in a comic book setting under Flynn's pen, but something about this whole affair with Sanic just seems wrong to me.

45 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

You know, considering the whole legal fears and concerns that spin around using fan created context, can someone tell me what the origin is of Sanic and it's design. If SEGA didn't create that themselves but are making monetary gains off of its use isn't that a bad case of plagiarism? And if it isn't, what other fan made designs could SEGA just freely adapt if they wanted to? I know of at least one I'd like to see played with in a comic book setting under Flynn's pen, but something about this whole affair with Sanic just seems wrong to me.

Sanic came from this video apparently.

There probably is something fishy copyright-wise about this, but who knows. Who wants to come out as the guy who created Sanic? 😛 Maybe SEGA somehow contacted the original creator and asked his permission.

• Thumbs Up 1

Would be nice to think they did. For now though it just smells kind of rotten. Hopefully though it never shows up in the comics.

8 hours ago, Bowbowis said:

Out of curiosity, why would you say Green Hill was definitively on Earth? Aside from the fantastic aesthetics, the original Japanese manuals for Sonic 1 don't name a planet and Forces specifically located it on Sonic's world.

Similarly, Angel Island is mobile and (depending on the nature of the gateway between worlds) could conceivably move between the two.

• Thumbs Up 2

Memes are tricky but I think Sanic looks like a clear case of derivative work where the copyright is such that Sega's completely in the right to profit if push comes to shove. Similarly to why Pender's claims to his characters are a quite shaky when they're heavily derived from Knuckles' design. The "legal fears of using fan creations" reads to me more like a courtesy to us fans then anything. 

Evan Stanley posted higher quality versions of Issue 8's covers that she drew-

tumblr_pcv17g4fQQ1rcatnso1_1280.jpg

Raw version of another cover-

tumblr_pcv17g4fQQ1rcatnso2_1280.jpg

Both were colored by Matt Herms.

• Thumbs Up 4

Clever re-usage of assets between those two covers. Usually stuff like that comes across as lazy/

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Clever re-usage of assets between those two covers. Usually stuff like that comes across as lazy/

They only re-used Sonic's face! Nothing else was recycled there!

Just now, Marco9966 said:

They only re-used Sonic's face! Nothing else was recycled there!

I know, I thought that it was pretty slick... double points for remembering to reverse the image too.

A part of silvers hand is reused tho.

It's a decent cover. The coloring details on the second one tho... 👌

I have a crazy idea. What if we got Sonic Universe book... that is made of 1-parters? So far this is how the main book goes. Sonic has large cast, but don't tell me 12+ characters a year wouldn't satysfy even the greediest fan.

(Still if that happens I hope Sonic will still see his buddies. Ever since SU started Shadow was basically moved  to another dimension... literally when you think about it.)

Well, 1-partner only sems be a bit limiting for me, but I would really like a Sonic Universe-like without the hard "4-partner only" limit too. Having the size of the story based on what the story need, and not on an hard-limit would be pretty great.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Kazhnuz said:

Well, 1-partner only sems be a bit limiting for me, but I would really like a Sonic Universe-like without the hard "4-partner only" limit too. Having the size of the story based on what the story need, and not on an hard-limit would be pretty great.

I thought I read "1-parter"

15 hours ago, Nestor said:

Out of curiosity, why would you say Green Hill was definitively on Earth? Aside from the fantastic aesthetics, the original Japanese manuals for Sonic 1 don't name a planet and Forces specifically located it on Sonic's world.

Similarly, Angel Island is mobile and (depending on the nature of the gateway between worlds) could conceivably move between the two.

Chronicles is the clearest on the subject, as it explicitly shows that Green Hill exists in the same world as Central City, Station Square, the Mystic Ruins, Angel Island, and Emerald Town. Furthermore, Angel Island's disappearance from it's usual spot over the Mystic Ruins is a major plot point in that game, indicating the island is not mobile under normal circumstances.

Even ignoring that Mania also shows Green Hill (and Chemical Plant) existing  in the a same world as Little Planet, which, per the Japanese version of Adventure, is on Earth. If we extrapolate from there we can see that Forces is, in fact, also set on Earth, just in a region mainly populated with anthros, which is not unprecedented (see the Knuckles Tribe and the Babylonians).

Indeed, if you look at it logically the only games which could conceivably be set on a "Sonic's World" are Advance 2 and Free Riders, everything else has some element which, directly or indirectly, places it on Earth or is explicitly set on another planet/dimension.

1 hour ago, Bowbowis said:

Chronicles is the clearest on the subject, as it explicitly shows that Green Hill exists in the same world as Central City, Station Square, the Mystic Ruins, Angel Island, and Emerald Town. Furthermore, Angel Island's disappearance from it's usual spot over the Mystic Ruins is a major plot point in that game, indicating the island is not mobile under normal circumstances. 

Chronicles isn't canon, and even have a problem when implying that Angel Island is mobile : in S3&K, the island fell in the center of the ocean. It's visible, Sonic even land on the island when it's in the middle of the ocean. So in this case, the problem is more in Sonic Chronicles.

( I also have many things that I disagree on the graph : Is it official that Grand Metropolis and Metropolis are the same level ? TBH I don't remember any mention of that. And I don't think that a quote that just become "weird", especially in only one version, is a big deal :V )