Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Well, I liked Archie enough to collect and pack them all in binders from Issue 160 to wherever they stopped. I randomly read issue 181 then didn't pick up another one until Issue 194. That's when I started to follow it monthly. I had a ton of personal complaints about the setting and characters but was hungry for storytelling like it associated with Sonic that I kept going with it. Eventually, got the back issues from 150 to the point where I started. I kept the issues from before 160 out of my binders because those issues were all drawn ugly and garbage tier junk when it came to storytelling. For reasons I didn't yet know or understand, the book was way better after Issue 160. I know NOW why that's the case but at the time it was daunting and strange.

Following through with it saw a lot of frustration and annoyances thrown my way due to the positives and negatives of Ian's writing style meshing with a world that I inherently didn't have too much interest in despite my best efforts to "get it". The pseudo-reboot it had, despite the sloppy and messy Countdown to Chaos, ended up being the kick in the pants I felt the book needed to bring me to a point where I anticipated more than I didn't. It saw the Chaotix getting the kind of representation I yearned for and led to my favorite Archie comic storyline, Eggman's Dozen. Yet, despite this, I couldn't get over some of the leftover concepts hanging by a thread and felt that, despite willing to compromise, found that they intrinsically changed the characters so much that I wasn't able to. I just wasn't going to get into the Freedom Fighters angle or the Hall of Justice thing. I couldn't.

However, that's one of the more underappreciated benefits of being controversial. It leads to a lot of discussion. That's one of the things I feel is most praiseworthy about Ian's excellent character work. Regardless of his storytelling habits, he's a really good character writer for the simple fact that he's willing to explore different reactions and ideas for the characters in ways that Sonic Team and SEGA aren't.

I've largely ignored the discussion about Shadow (because I don't really care) but I enjoyed his portrayal here and I appreciated the argument that spun off from it about his morality and how flexible he would and wouldn't be regarding the situation when discussing who he is as perceived by one individual to the next.

Things like that are the reason Sonic Team and SEGA don't try anything with the characters. They play it as safe as safe can be and don't want to worry about making things interesting by having a character react to things in ways that don't just conform to the expected situation. Why? Because they foolishly think that if they were to try, we'd end up with another Shadow the Hedgehog Game or Sonic 06. Nevermind the fact that the actual problems with those game's stories was that they were written like shit.

Remember that trailer for Sonic Forces where it was supposedly being revealed that Shadow was a bad guy? I said straight up that I laughed when I saw it because I didn't believe he actually was. People were convinced that Shadow was being made into a villain because they forgot Shadow's status as a character. I didn't because I actually knew something much worse. They were just lying to use it as a marketing ploy. Then when the real game comes out and it turns out to be nothing, Shadow's actual character wouldn't be compromised in anyway.

There would be no discussion. No back and forth. No wonder. Nothing to care about. You can't have people complaining about how much they've ruined him if he doesn't get a chance to do anything of substance or importance after all. Forget taking chances. He's playable. He kicks Infinite around. He goes away. He comes back. He stands in the corner. Then he slides into some clones and looks stupid because of the shitty game animation. Then he smiles with his arms crossed. That's Shadow.

Totally, simple, no-chance taking, no-risk taking, non-controversial Shadow. Ain't it lovely?

Now don't get me wrong. I wouldn't be accepting of them just flying off the handle and doing whatever they wanted with the characters either. That's the opposite spectrum of bad writing that leads to Sonic being dry as dirt and being bashful in front of Elise in 06 or Tails being an entitled prick in Lost World. It works best when you juggle with possible facets of their personality and spin it off into something that's feasibly plausible. Which I feel he's done a great job at so far. It's also what he did in Archie, and that led towards a version of Sonic that I absolutely hated. I LOVE him in this book because he feels like a much less douchey, more well-rounded version of Sonic that fits the sensibilities I've personally associated with him... but a lot of people STILL liked the Archie one. It's an interesting thought.

He's still Ian Flynn though. The "Fighting robots" choreography was not doing it for me until the awesome as fuck Issue 7. Hopefully it keeps up that way. I want to see things mold into something more akin to that from here on in. Archie is done. Leave the old ways behind you and move on. You don't have to worry about conforming to the old Sonic Universe style of disappointing endings where there's 3 issues of set up and then a really quick and disappointing resolution.

Ultimately, the Archie comics are a nice time-capsule thing for me now. I actually think that because IDW exists, I can look back on Archie in a more positive light now because it's not the thing I absolutely have to be tailored to anymore.. but in that same vein I also understand that there were people who enjoyed being tailored to it. If we could live in a world where both books could exist simultaneously, I'd opt for that one. It'd just mean more Sonic comics for everyone. Perhaps have that be this comic's Sonic Universe, except it's set in an actual different universe. 

That's impossible of course but regardless, I remain grateful and excited. Still don't believe I've read a bad issue yet, which is good. Issue 3 is still the weakest but even that one didn't cross over into awful territory for me. So far.

I can't wait until I re-read Archie and see what my thoughts on it are now that I don't have to worry about it being the Sonic comic for me. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

However, that's one of the more underappreciated benefits of being controversial. It leads to a lot of discussion. That's one of the things I feel is most praiseworthy about Ian's excellent character work. Regardless of his storytelling habits, he's a really good character writer for the simple fact that he's willing to explore different reactions and ideas for the characters in ways that Sonic Team and SEGA aren't.

I agree with this

I've largely ignored the discussion about Shadow (because I don't really care) but I enjoyed his portrayal here and I appreciated the argument that spun off from it about his morality and how flexible he would and wouldn't be regarding the situation when discussing who he is as perceived by one individual to the next.

Things like that are the reason Sonic Team and SEGA don't try anything with the characters. They play it as safe as safe can be and don't want to worry about making things interesting by having a character react to things in ways that don't just conform to the expected situation. Why? Because they foolishly think that if they were to try, we'd end up with another Shadow the Hedgehog Game or Sonic 06. Nevermind the fact that the actual problems with those game's stories was that they were written like shit.

Remember that trailer for Sonic Forces where it was supposedly being revealed that Shadow was a bad guy? I said straight up that I laughed when I saw it because I didn't believe he actually was. People were convinced that Shadow was being made into a villain because they forgot Shadow's status as a character. I didn't because I actually knew something much worse. They were just lying to use it as a marketing ploy. Then when the real game comes out and it turns out to be nothing, Shadow's actual character wouldn't be compromised in anyway.

There would be no discussion. No back and forth. No wonder. Nothing to care about. You can't have people complaining about how much they've ruined him if he doesn't get a chance to do anything of substance or importance after all. Forget taking chances. He's playable. He kicks Infinite around. He goes away. He comes back. He stands in the corner. Then he slides into some clones and looks stupid because of the shitty game animation. Then he smiles with his arms crossed. That's Shadow.

Totally, simple, no-chance taking, no-risk taking, non-controversial Shadow. Ain't it lovely?

This is , ok how do I respond to this. There's a context to this I don't think you are acknowledging. Let me break it down for you. 

MOST OF THESE CHARACTERS HAVEN'T ACTUALLY BEEN USED IN ANY MEANINGFUL FASHION IN YEARS,  AND TO ACTUALLY CHANGE THAT CHARACTER FOR NO REASON AFTER SUCH A LONG DEPARTURE MIGHT CAUSE SOME DISDAIN

So there's that, in combination just because it creates interesting conversation means it was a story worth telling. And just because it doesn't create some massive conversation doesn't mean it isn't. We haven't seen shadow react normally to things in years so seeing him react normally to some shit would be interesting. You talk about how he stands back in the corner, but that's has nothing to do with characterization that has everything do with how sonic team designed that video game. And in all honesty you didn't actually get a lot of characterization in that game because he wasn't around enough and the things he did do didn't have him engaging with anyone for a long period of time other than the antagonist whom he had little connection to in the first place. 

That isn't to say that I don't agree with your desire to see sonic team take chances with these characters quite a bit, heck I would actually advocate for a classic sonic to modern sonic restructuring of  modern sonic in its entirety. I think we are way overdue and taking time and doing something like that could get some more energy and hype put into the 3d section of this franchise. But I'm off point a bit, people haven't seen shadow act " normally " in years, so they would like to see him act a bit more normal that the flanderizations that have been present in the sonic media as of late. 

To be frank, no I DON"T want controversy, I don't want risk taking. I want good, I haven't had GOOD in years. Instead of making wild changes to shit, instead of risk taking shadow. Why don't we have good shadow first. That's kind of how I feel about sonic in general, instead of taking risks maybe focus on one thing and make it good and then expand. I don't think controversy for controversy's sake is interesting or good. How about we focus on getting good first. 

This isn't even getting into how, at least in terms of shadow. You can pretty much write shadow being shadow, and that's some of the most risk taking shit in sonic, because he's an oddly serious weirdo in a sea of colorful animals. And writing from that perspective has already gotten interesting results, in the comics even. 

Having a wild interpretation doesn't mean anything, it doesn't gain anything, its ultimately worthless unless you justify that interpretation of that character. And I don't think people arguing over your interpretation is really an indication of success or not, at least in this scenario 

Edit: i would like to just point out, this isn't a reference to the comic more so sonic in general. I would prefer , unless starting an entire new thing, a solid good foundation that you can expand on and you can build a fanbase and then take risks, rather than wild risk takes that might be good. Especially in regards to sonic where the latter continues to prove fruitless 

4 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

This is , ok how do I respond to this. There's a context to this I don't think you are acknowledging. Let me break it down for you. 

MOST OF THESE CHARACTERS HAVEN'T ACTUALLY BEEN USED IN ANY MEANINGFUL FASHION IN YEARS,  AND TO ACTUALLY CHANGE THAT CHARACTER FOR NO REASON AFTER SUCH A LONG DEPARTURE MIGHT CAUSE SOME DISDAIN

It's kind of hard to say that I'm not acknowledging that because -

1. I acknowledge, nay, complain about the fact that the characters aren't used in a meaningful way all the time.

2. The purpose behind the post directly correlates to the fact that the characters are underutilized.

3. Another point I was getting at was that I really admire it whenever storytelling can utilize the traits a character does and could have and does something with them in a manner that's feasibly possible for any reasonable individual's point of view to be satisfied. There's an actual argument to be made about whether or not what Shadow did was right or wrong as well as whether or not Shadow would or wouldn't do it, in his original context at least.

His portrayal here isn't so far removed from what people associate with Shadow to be outright universally panned but instead it's open enough to be explored for discussion as people on both sides have a point that one could reasonably understand. The point is that's the risk you take sometimes when it comes to letting your characters breathe a bit more and it's exactly the kind of thing Sonic Team and SEGA avoid nowadays by making it so no one is allowed to have any focus or do anything. 

The only character in recent memory that drums up talk is Tails and yet there's no real discussion on both sides from what I can tell. It seems that largely, the conversation is mostly in agreement that the liberties taken with Tails's character in the games have gone too far and as such, the execution was so off-kilter that it isn't satisfying anybody. As for everyone else... they don't do anything or act in anyway that's noticeably worth discussing so who cares...?

Also, what's with the All-caps and the bold lines? I can read.

So there's that, in combination just because it creates interesting conversation means it was a story worth telling. And just because it doesn't create some massive conversation doesn't mean it isn't. We haven't seen shadow react normally to things in years so seeing him react normally to some shit would be interesting. You talk about how he stands back in the corner, but that's has nothing to do with characterization that has everything do with how sonic team designed that video game. And in all honesty you didn't actually get a lot of characterization in that game because he wasn't around enough and the things he did do didn't have him engaging with anyone for a long period of time other than the antagonist whom he had little connection to in the first place. 

Okay, so the point wasn't that if it creates interesting conversation that means it was a story worth telling. The point is largely what I went into above about how the nature of storytelling lends itself to discussion by not being afraid to allow your characters to go against conformity. There's a time and a place for it, sure. Part of it is knowing when and where it's acceptable and who to do it with but I never denied that. I'm mostly just fascinated by the phenomenon that it creates whenever it happens. 

Although, judging by this response and the way it's written, you seem to think I was arguing against anyone who didn't agree with me about this when this is mostly a thought I had with regards to how much I despise the Archie version of Sonic yet despite that, a lot of people love him and love the book. 

And I feel as though you're being a little too assuming in some places here. I brought up how Shadow stands in the corner to emphasis the fact that they don't do anything with him in that game. That in turn affects the fact that he doesn't get a chance to have solid, noticeable characterization within the game, which makes it related and something worth bringing up. It's the same for pretty much everyone. Aside from the inane war chatter, most of the stuff the characters do is stuff that's done off screen. It's better than what Generations came up with but Generations had nothing to work off of and attempted nothing on that front. At least they wanted to give us the illusion (haha) that there was more to it here.

That isn't to say that I don't agree with your desire to see sonic team take chances with these characters quite a bit, heck I would actually advocate for a classic sonic to modern sonic restructuring of  modern sonic in its entirety. I think we are way overdue and taking time and doing something like that could get some more energy and hype put into the 3d section of this franchise.

Me too. Although I don't really care about what they do with Classic Sonic. That's not really my wheel house and I doubt it'll ever be despite how adorable and endearing Sonic Mania Adventures was. However, a restructuring of Modern Sonic has always been something I've had on and off day-dreams about. It makes the time go by at work.

But I'm off point a bit, people haven't seen shadow act " normally " in years, so they would like to see him act a bit more normal that the flanderizations that have been present in the sonic media as of late. To be frank, no I DON"T want controversy, I don't want risk taking. I want good, I haven't had GOOD in years. Instead of making wild changes to shit, instead of risk taking shadow. Why don't we have good shadow first. That's kind of how I feel about sonic in general, instead of taking risks maybe focus on one thing and make it good and then expand. I don't think controversy for controversy's sake is interesting or good. How about we focus on getting good first. 

Alright, I feel like you're taking the point I made about how there can be a benefit to controversy that no one acknowledges and changing the notion to be about how controversy in and of itself is good... which is definitely not the point I was making. 

If you think I wrote that to at all insinuate that I don't want good story-telling first and foremost than I'd have to question whether or not you even read it correctly. I don't mean to be rude but, this is a bit hyperbolic.

Perhaps the positive position I was holding is what's throwing you off since I'm speaking from a position that thinks the way Shadow was portrayed was good so as a result, I'm speaking in terms of it being a positive example rather than a negative one. Though, the point was still largely about how it's more of an interesting thing to think about. That's why I brought up Archie Sonic and his characterization.

This isn't even getting into how, at least in terms of shadow. You can pretty much write shadow being shadow, and that's some of the most risk taking shit in sonic, because he's an oddly serious weirdo in a sea of colorful animals. And writing from that perspective has already gotten interesting results, in the comics even. 

Having a wild interpretation doesn't mean anything, it doesn't gain anything, its ultimately worthless unless you justify that interpretation of that character. And I don't think people arguing over your interpretation is really an indication of success or not, at least in this scenario 

I wasn't arguing that a wild interpretation was good. In fact I brought up examples of wild interpretations being a bad thing. That and what I was talking about, when it comes to more risk taking, isn't the same thing.

What I mean by taking risks is a lot simpler than what you seem to think it is. I was piling on insults to Sonic Team by saying this because THEIR definition of taking a risk is doing literally ANYTHING with the characters. They don't want to worry about how they're written so they just have them do nothing. And yes, how the games are set up does affect characterization because of that. 

I also didn't say people arguing over your interpretation was an indication of success. None of this was what I was getting at.

Preview Time!

DkCvFgqU0AA6vJZ.jpgDkCvFgpUUAAiFz_.jpgDkCvFgsUUAAalgL.jpg

Well, if it isn't Arsenal Pyramid.

Does Sonic know he's being assisted by Whisper?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

43 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

Preview Time!

DkCvFgqU0AA6vJZ.jpgDkCvFgpUUAAiFz_.jpgDkCvFgsUUAAalgL.jpg

Well, if it isn't Arsenal Pyramid.

Does Sonic know he's being assisted by Whisper?

Is she assisting him? Cause it still looked like she was trying to shoot/tag him to me.

The answer is no, either way.

Not entirely sure how I feel about the first line of dialogue being a Smash Bros reference.

15 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

I agree with this

That isn't to say that I don't agree with your desire to see sonic team take chances with these characters quite a bit, heck I would actually advocate for a classic sonic to modern sonic restructuring of  modern sonic in its entirety. I think we are way overdue and taking time and doing something like that could get some more energy and hype put into the 3d section of this franchise. But I'm off point a bit, people haven't seen shadow act " normally " in years, so they would like to see him act a bit more normal that the flanderizations that have been present in the sonic media as of late. 

To be frank, no I DON"T want controversy, I don't want risk taking. I want good, I haven't had GOOD in years. Instead of making wild changes to shit, instead of risk taking shadow. Why don't we have good shadow first. That's kind of how I feel about sonic in general, instead of taking risks maybe focus on one thing and make it good and then expand. I don't think controversy for controversy's sake is interesting or good. How about we focus on getting good first. 

Edit: i would like to just point out, this isn't a reference to the comic more so sonic in general. I would prefer , unless starting an entire new thing, a solid good foundation that you can expand on and you can build a fanbase and then take risks, rather than wild risk takes that might be good. Especially in regards to sonic where the latter continues to prove fruitless 

Sonic Boom Shadow seems more your taste them, he was the only character that shook up the fandom by becoming what fans loved of him to begin with, a actual edgy rival that took no crap and looked cooler than Sonic.

"Way too slow! Cmon! Step it up!"

Too... too much, Ian, laying it on a little thick now

Hm, is that Whisper's power though, or Silver?

6 minutes ago, Razule said:

Too... too much, Ian, laying it on a little thick now

Hm, is that Whisper's power though, or Silver?

Obviously the later. 

4 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Not entirely sure how I feel about the first line of dialogue being a Smash Bros reference.

It doesn't seem like you should think anything of it, considering how basic a line it is...regardless.

4 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Is she assisting him? Cause it still looked like she was trying to shoot/tag him to me.

The answer is no, either way.

Looks to me like she used her wispon to wedge the door open a split second longer so Sonic could slide under it. You can even see her spiky projectile give way and collapse on the next panel. She's clearly helping him.

If she was trying to shoot the guy, she wouldn't blow her cover trying to tag him at high speed. Assassins wait for the perfect shot. She would have waited for a clean shot.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Looks to me like she used her wispon to wedge the door open a split second longer so Sonic could slide under it. You can even see her spiky projectile give way and collapse on the next panel. She's clearly helping him.

If she was trying to shoot the guy, she wouldn't blow her cover trying to tag him at high speed. Assassins wait for the perfect shot. She would have waited for a clean shot.

I considered that, but it looks more like those pink buzzsaw things near certain walls from Colors(?).

Also, technically, him approaching a rapidly closing door is a relatively good time to fire since he'd either stop/yield if it closed before he reached it or would go through the door so fast that he'd likely not notice that he was fired at. It being an Eggman based where robots are gunning for him anyway helps..

I'm kind of leaning towards Whisper wanting to prop the door open, as when Sonic is possible through the door looks a little more open.

I'm not much for speculation regarding new characters really. I'd actually rather be surprised when one shows up. Announcing the arrival of a new one just sets the stage for premature expectations and possible disappointment. Stories always feel more special when you just follow through with them naturally. No "Knowing smiles" and all that. 

That said, because I'm on a forum, I've abandoned part of that mystique since I also desire to be apart of the discussion and as such aren't able to fully ignore it whenever something is announced. That's fine though. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

I considered that, but it looks more like those pink buzzsaw things near certain walls from Colors(?).

She uses a variable wispon. A wispon that can utilize different types of wisps. She simply used the Pink Wisp for that particular shot.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

Sonic Boom Shadow seems more your taste them, he was the only character that shook up the fandom by becoming what fans loved of him to begin with, a actual edgy rival that took no crap and looked cooler than Sonic.

You are trying to do a thing, poorly.

Anyhow the art in  that new comic is great. Hopefully the story is good, or at least... goes somewhere I hope?

3 hours ago, StaticMania said:

She's using a wisp weapon...maybe she has the Pink Wisp then.

3 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

I'm kind of leaning towards Whisper wanting to prop the door open, as when Sonic is possible through the door looks a little more open.

1 hour ago, Sega DogTagz said:

She uses a variable wispon. A wispon that can utilize different types of wisps. She simply used the Pink Wisp for that particular shot.

I know, I just wanted to at least consider that relatively obscure factor.

3 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I'm not much for speculation regarding new characters really. I'd actually rather be surprised when one shows up. Announcing the arrival of a new one just sets the stage for premature expectations and possible disappointment. Stories always feel more special when you just follow through with them naturally. No "Knowing smiles" and all that. 

I'll at least say that it can depend.

3 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

What obscure thing are you referring to, curious.

In Planet Wisp(I think), there are these darkish pink  buzzsaw things at the bottom/top/end of certain walls that I believe either damage or repel you if you run into them as Spikes-Sonic.

20 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

Really? Because I'm pretty sure everyone hated Boom Shadow because he stripped away everything that fans loved about him: Namely being a complex, sympathetic villain turned anti-hero who toys with the stereotypes associated with him based on his appearance: He doesn't make friends easy? No, but he's loyal and will go to hell and back for the ones he has. He acts somewhat cold? Yes but it's because he has no social skills and doesn't really know how to talk to people. He uses brutal methods? Indeed, yet he's one of the few characters in the series motivated purely by altruism. He don't take orders from anyone? Completely false, he's almost completely directionless without guidance  until the latter part of his character arc, which is all about him taking his future into his own hands.

Boom Shadow just shits all over that and says "You have friends and I hate friendship so I'm gonna murder you because 'Ow the Edge!'."

• Thumbs Up 5

So, on the previews, who else feels like it isn't quite playing out like the solicits and covers would imply? From everything I had seen I expected Sonic to meet up with Silver and hear about Whisper before we would get our first chance to see her. This  helping out from the shadows approach without any prior mention seems a little peculiar to me. I almost wonder if she will even interact with Sonic and Silver at this point. It would make it seem that on this cover

Sonic_RIcover_09-675x1024.jpg

her absence is more than just to avoid spoiling her character design early as she could very well not be a part of the group yet with the group ignorant of her presence.

I'm probably just over thinking it, but the set up so far seems a little off to me.

-----

On anther thought, since Blaze seems to be using the Sol Emeralds going forward, who would like to see her lose them by the time it is all over so that way she has to find them all again before being able to go home and thus serve as a way to help flesh out the world a little in year 2?

28 minutes ago, Bowbowis said:

Really? Because I'm pretty sure everyone hated Boom Shadow because he stripped away everything that fans loved about him: Namely being a complex, sympathetic villain turned anti-hero who toys with the stereotypes associated with him based on his appearance: He doesn't make friends easy? No, but he's loyal and will go to hell and back for the ones he has. He acts somewhat cold? Yes but it's because he has no social skills and doesn't really know how to talk to people. He uses brutal methods? Indeed, yet he's one of the few characters in the series motivated purely by altruism. He don't take orders from anyone? Completely false, he's almost completely directionless without guidance  until the latter part of his character arc, which is all about him taking his future into his own hands.

Boom Shadow just shits all over that and says "You have friends and I hate friendship so I'm gonna murder you because 'Ow the Edge!'."

SA2 Shadow had mold breaking complex motives as a Sonic character for the most of part, yes. But I'm just talking about what everyone talks about Sonic most of the time, how cool he was and his towards facing anyone in a fight. Boom Shadow was the closest we had to SA2 style Shadow in terms of "rule of cool" factor and charisma.

1 hour ago, Dash Speed said:

SA2 Shadow had mold breaking complex motives as a Sonic character for the most of part, yes. But I'm just talking about what everyone talks about Sonic most of the time, how cool he was and his towards facing anyone in a fight. Boom Shadow was the closest we had to SA2 style Shadow in terms of "rule of cool" factor and charisma.

In Boom he was a jerk, a moron, gullible, murderous...

Not the redemption hero I grew up with.

• Thumbs Up 1