Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

1 minute ago, Razule said:

Aside from the one with Sallicole and the virus Nicole thing, the main character of the stories were game characters.

So they shouldn't have problems launching a second book after 20-30 issues then.

9 hours ago, SBR2 said:

He wanted to kill an entire planet because he misinterpreted his friends dying words.

The funny thing about that is it was less him wanting to wipe out the planet and more him just doing what he was entrusted to do. Like, he believed he was doing it to avenge Maria's death and all, but he seemed to treat the program initiation itself as just a task to be completed.

One notable detail about the scene where Amy comes to him is the fact he's just chilling by window, watching as the planet draws closer for a collision, when informed that Sonic and the others are trying to stop Gerald's plan--and he doesn't care. Whether because he knows their success is slim or because getting the program activated was the only thing on his list, he had no intention of doing anything at that point. As far as he's concerned, his part was done.

3 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

I have a question, I did not read much of Sonic Universe post-SGW.

Did these comics feature the original  comics characters as heroes of the arcs or only the game characters?

I think that after 2-3 arcs in the IDW comics and world building and establishement, they can launch a Sonic Universe book.

Spark of Life starred Nicole with Sally as a Supporting Protagonist backed by Tails and Big and Eggman's Dozen featured the Egg Bosses being led by Eggman, but that's about it for actual releases.

There was gonna be a Freedom Fighter arc establishing/following personal adventures for each with a game character or two backing them up, but that obviously never got past Part 3's solicit. 😞

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Eh, he wanted to destroy an entire planet because he was made to not remember his friends dying words saw her die in front of him and was locked in a basement for 50 years coloring his interpretation of everything that has to do with earth rather sour. 

I mean its still rather bizarre but at least tell the whole story

Fair enough. I make it seem like I hate Shadow but I really don't.

50 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

There was gonna be a Freedom Fighter arc establishing/following personal adventures for each with a game character or two backing them up, but that obviously never got past Part 3's solicit. 😞<span>

I wonder if Ian gonna do one with Rotor. Maybe have Tails along.

4 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Did these comics feature the original  comics characters as heroes of the arcs or only the game characters?

I think that after 2-3 arcs in the IDW comics and world building and establishement, they can launch a Sonic Universe book.

There was Spark of Life, and then the Pre Genesis arcs like Journey to the East in which Sally tagged along, Scrambled which involved Snively and the Dark Egg Region, Eggmans' Dozen with the Egg Bosses, and the cancelled Freedom Fighters Arc which was going to have one game character and one FF I think.

There was also the Mobius 25 years later arc but that was also Pre genesis.

• Thumbs Up 1

So quick question. Since Issue 9 is releasing earlier than normal are we to believe that that is to accommodate for the the TSR book or do you suppose that the comic has already been successful enough that they might be testing release schedule changes to accommodate for a second book?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Sonic Fan J said:

So quick question. Since Issue 9 is releasing earlier than normal are we to believe that that is to accommodate for the the TSR book or do you suppose that the comic has already been successful enough that they might be testing release schedule changes to accommodate for a second book?

There might be other special books they would like to accommodate for we might not be privy to, as well 

3 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

I wonder if Ian gonna do one with Rotor. Maybe have Tails along.

If Antoine and possibly Bunnie's is any indication, it might've had something to do with Tundra.

Otherwise, it might've been a story about him and Tails finding parts to potentially repair the Sky Patrol.

1 minute ago, Ernest-Panda said:

The shipper in me was hoping Rotor’s would feature Big, as well as Tails.

Oh yeah, he was unaccounted for, wasn't he?

9 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Sonic Universe arcs were often centered around the main game character, but with often a cast of supporting comic or other-continuity characters - and often a villain that was a non-game character (Naugus, Eclipse, the Secound Devourer…). (and in some arc like Eggman Dozen, even if the "main" character was Eggman, it was really the Egg Bosses that shined during this arc)

7 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

Sonic Universe arcs were often centered around the main game character, but with often a cast of supporting comic or other-continuity characters - and often a villain that was a non-game character (Naugus, Eclipse, the Secound Devourer…). (and in some arc like Eggman Dozen, even if the "main" character was Eggman, it was really the Egg Bosses that shined during this arc)

Yeah, no that I think about it, the only Big Bad that originated in the games with BattleCuck.

Well, the problem with Sonic the Hedgehog game villains is that they are for the biggest part either dead, either reformed, either Eggman…

1 hour ago, Kazhnuz said:

Well, the problem with Sonic the Hedgehog game villains is that they are for the biggest part either dead, either reformed, either Eggman…

Yeah, that is a serious problem with the games--the rogues gallery is extremely lacking in the long term and that's mainly because the villains just aren't manageable 90% of the time. They just kept trying to escalate things and so most of the villains were too powerful, too evil, or both to be kept around and the ones who did were usually reformed.

Hell, I remember when the Deadly Six were revealed, I kinda got excited because they seemed to be designed specifically to get around that issue and finally have another villainous force for Sonic to go up against more than once. And while this is technically true, they have yet to make another proper appearance outside of Runners and the Olympics, and that's only Zavok and Zazz.

The only non-Eggman exception I can think of is Fang and he just stopped being used until Mania and Forces diverged things.

14 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/IanFlynnBKC/status/1027997290949210114

It's Knowing Smile mystery project time again. It might not be Sonic related but it could be. Who knows. 

9 minutes ago, Razule said:

I'm tired of knowing smiles

It's better to ignore those tbh. I hate to sound harsh, but it's really annoying when he does that. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, KoDaiko said:

It's better to ignore those tbh. I hate to sound harsh, but it's really annoying when he does that. 

Especially when we have no clue as to what he is hinting.

16 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/IanFlynnBKC/status/1027997290949210114

It's Knowing Smile mystery project time again. It might not be Sonic related but it could be. Who knows. 

You know, back on Bumbleking when Ian would do the knowing smile thing, it was in response to a question or a some tangible subject being discussed. The rest of us knew he was saying he had plans for or something was in the works related to what we were talking about giving us a level of expectation and opportunity to speculate in the meantime.

In contrast, Ian's posted an exclamation mark. That could be literally anything. Maybe a new Sonic book is coming out, maybe Mega Man is coming back, maybe he's writing a game script, maybe he's writing an episode of the new Turtles show, maybe he's going to be part of another encyclopedia book, maybe he got approval for something Superman related, maybe one of his pet projects just got a breakthrough, maybe it has to do with the Bumblekast, maybe he's been invited on the stream again, maybe he gets to meet Iizuka, maybe Aleah will be joining the comic, maybe he's just having a good day and came up with a neat idea.

I'm sure Ian means well, but those cute little habits only work in an environment where they have quantifiable meaning.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, GentlemanX said:

I'm sure Ian means well, but those cute little habits only work in an environment where they have quantifiable meaning.

Also in a space where people are a bit less tired of them

Quick general IDW question: when they do one-shots, do they get graphic novel reprintings?

Will the TSR special get reprinted, if so where is it likely to be?

28 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Quick general IDW question: when they do one-shots, do they get graphic novel reprintings?

Reveal hidden contents

Will the TSR special get reprinted, if so where is it likely to be?

I assume it'll probably be collected in some kind of game adaptation collection in the future. If they do one of those hardcover collections it might be in there.

According to Forbidden Planet, the comic is coming out... Tomorrow?! Could be a mistake, don't get too excited just yet.