Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

6 minutes ago, Drifting Jack said:

According to Forbidden Planet, the comic is coming out... Tomorrow?! Could be a mistake, don't get too excited just yet.

Yes it's tomorrow, the editors confirmed it.

In spoiler for people that doesn't want to read the preview :

Spoiler

Silver is so precious in this preview, he is perfect.

I already liked how Silver is handled by the ArchieSonic comic-book (Silver Saga and Silver Age were really great, and the first made Silver one of my favorite character which is great as I found him really boring and dull in Sonic 06… like every other character though), but I love him here xD I wonder how if they'll make a clue about how they'll handle him ( will him stay in the present, go back in the future later, can time-travel at will, etc).

I'm really interested to see how Whisper will be (and it's great to have Evan Stanley, her art is really great).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 2

9 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

Reveal hidden contents

I already liked how Silver is handled by the ArchieSonic comic-book (Silver Saga and Silver Age were really great, and the first made Silver one of my favorite character which is great as I found him really boring and dull in Sonic 06… like every other character though), but I love him here xD I wonder how if they'll make a clue about how they'll handle him ( will him stay in the present, go back in the future later, can time-travel at will, etc).

I'm really interested to see how Whisper will be (and it's great to have Evan Stanley, her art is really great).

What do you think of Silver in the Rivals series?

4 hours ago, Kazhnuz said:

Hide contents

I agree with all of this; The Silver Age is my favorite Archie story and Silver's expressions are just so dorky and sweet. I'm so excited for this issue!!

Issue 8 spoiler!

Spoiler

tumblr_pdh46zfhWI1x0dt7zo1_500h.jpg

Yes this is real. No it's not photoshopped. The page in question-

tumblr_pdh9syAhYI1s6ej3g_540.png

Honestly I dont mind it much. It's one of those "didn't expect that" moments. 😂

• Thumbs Up 4

10 minutes ago, Neo Fusion Ellipsis said:

Issue 8 spoiler!

Hide contents

tumblr_pdh46zfhWI1x0dt7zo1_500h.jpg

Yes this is real. No it's not photoshopped. The page in question-

tumblr_pdh9syAhYI1s6ej3g_540.png

Honestly I dont mind it much. It's one of those "didn't expect that" moments. 😂

The fact that it's from Silver is near poetry. :joy: 

I read the comic and boy, do I hate all the characters in it, mostly Wisper and Silver. I.....hate.......cutesy........Silver, plus I hate how Ian makes him naive and stupid with no idea how to behave around people that arent in his timeline, it makes him look like he has a mental disorder, plus unlike the games Silver isn't stupid and Sonic doesn't need to snark at his borderline idiocy in trying to make things right. He's serious and driven, with a strong sense of justice, but can be immature and insecure. He acts too dorky and "cutesy" in the comic. And quite frankly, I'm getting tired of "Tony Stark" Sonic here and his banter in serious moments, I know this is a light hearted comic but it comes off as lazy writing making one character joke with other serious characters for no reason but Sonic really needs to shut up and starting paying attention to shit about his friends for a change, he is so childish in comparison to the other characters yet he's the big messiah figure everyone looks up to for answers, thats just contrived. And Sonic pretty much making fun/playing around  Shadow, Knuckles and now Silver like he's their brothers is completely straying from how the dynamics of these three and Sonic really is. Wisper is yet another misguided Cream type of girl that literally acts like a Cream Type, she wasn't worth the panel space at all, plus the cutesy stuff with her and Silver in the end is just cringe  [/spolier]

I don't know if I can stomach more of Ian's stuff.

So much for..

Spoiler

.."bright skies and everyone's got a smile", Silver's future is just always ruined now, dang. Hey, if all organic life was destroyed, how's Silver's still alive? Guess time-travelling makes him immune to the Grandfather Clause. His family must have been erased ten times over, at some point, what's even the point of going back to save the world if everyone you know ceases to be anyway? Or maybe all life only disappeared conveniently just after Silver was born. Huh.

Woah..

Spoiler

OhCrap.jpg.7908965b04c9f53eb6635e4fcb50bfd1.jpg

They can use level 1 curse words now! I guess that's a consequence of Shadow the Hedgehog being canon... he better say "damn" at some point

• Chuckle 1

I really liked this issues. First, I loved the characters, and it's great that they are advancing the plot, even if a bit slowly. For the moment the problems for me are the same that before, but IDW also have its strong point.

Spoiler

Silver and Whisper are so perfect. Silver alone made the issue shine for me. I especially loved how he added to Silver some social difficulties, it's logical for someone who have been alone for a long time. Even if his future being again destroyed is a bit forced, the idea of his change not saving the world but making it even worse is really interesting.

Whisper is kinda interesting too, having a quiet and shy character that doesn't really is social is great, as it changes a bit (Knuckles and Blaze aren't social too, but in a different way). I'm pretty interested to see what they'll do with these characters. The small moment when she get angry and want to destroy anything is an interesting hint that she may dislike Eggman as a more personnal level, and that's an interesting way of doing it.

The ending was cool, even if we learned nothing new with it, the layout and the promise of a big showdown in the next arc are cool for me. So all in one, I really liked this two-arc phase (Fate of Doctor Eggman and the Neo Metal Sonic plan arc) really better than the first arc. Characters were great, it was fun and action-packed, and it really set the final arc. So I'm happy with it, even if my previous critcism still hold, and that I really hope that we will get more worldbuilding, explaination about the lore (well, tbh, he explained several of the weak points of Forces) and character development later.

So, let's wait another month for the beggining of the final arc.

• Fist Bump 1

Not really because it's a different robot technically. Another solid issue anyway.

Spoiler

It's more in line with issue 4's formula, but it's also a transition to next arc. Silver is written wonderfully, I noticed his social background too, in opposition with Whisper, which is a great idea, in some way she is a blend of Cream and Blaze, shy but kind, a warrior that fights with little aliens. Tangle is also great in "gameplay" idea and she's very unique, while Whisper is a character based on the Avatar but her personality seems intriguing and apparently Eggman did something to her. We'll find out eventually. In fact I think I prefer Whisper to Tangle personality-wise, Tangle was just a Sonic light basically. Whisper shines both in personality and gameplay, I love the upgraded wispon, plus potentially some backstory.

I liked the fight choreography as usual, dialogues were great, Smash quotes are okay I guess, Ian always adds memes so I'm used to it. I didn't expect Knuckles and Amy's cameo. Also the Master Emerald is hidden, obviously, I figured that's how Knux gets away with being far from his home.

Also, if you noticed, the issue is basically Arsenal Pyramid's tag team from Forces, same stage with a team up between Sonic and an Avatar character, the only difference was Silver's help. I'm very excited for The Battle for Angel Island, I'm hoping for a focus on Sonic, Knuckles and Blaze like that cover suggests. And I'd love if it'd tie into Year 2's storyline.

It's kinda hard for Whisper to leave much impression...but she's cute, so there's that.

Why is Theta basically Zeta but better?

Well, I hope no one is  tired of "Sonic team-up and smashes Badnik" routine. But hey, new Whisper is here. Or as I like to call her "Overwatch is popular "

Spoiler

Maybe I'm jumping to conclusion but she really feels like new character to Overwatch, just with Sonic Forced theme. Anyway, she used 5 wisp (3 from Forces) but she clearly has at least 6 containers? Is the last one some kind of "last resort weapon"? Void perhaps? It also implied that she has some history with Eggman, that's nice.

So overall she leaves a nice impression, with Flynn as always cheekily leaving more for later. Now let's ship her with Tangle just because. Sorry

Silver is written well, but I read Archie, this isn't anything new to me. Interesting that Sega allows Flynn to mess around with his future. Mentioning of water and metallic plants obviously makes me think of Little Planet, perhaps Chaos. That's neat.

Artwork is Stanely, it's obviously good. So all that cool artwork, seeding plot-points for the future and new characters almost make you ignore that story is "smashing badniks" again.. Almost. Yeah, E-100 are back, I guess that's improvement , the same way standing on thick carpet makes me look taller. It's still can fodder for Sonic. They didn't even tried to came up with new design , that's lazy (admittedly something something bolted to the floor can't  be K.O. in a second by Silver).
Also, do you think they will repeat numbers from Archie? Not a big deal, but I would prefer if they jumped forward. Only nerds will notice and nerds probably read Archie and actually appreciate this.

And finally cliffhanger, but we all saw this coming. I'm just disappointed that Metal got Master Emerald with such ease. Again, that makes Knuckles looks a bit dumb for not taking it with him. Oh well, knowing Flynn they will point that out in next issue.

So overall comic continues being "nice, cool, kinda neat". Everything is pretty good, as long as you're willing to live with simple story.

I kind will always have weird issues with comic book silver. And any other interpretation of silver at this point not in a game? It feels like silver never really got a defined personality. So every comic book interpretation just seems like ... winging it

2 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

I kind will always have weird issues with comic book silver. And any other interpretation of silver at this point not in a game? It feels like silver never really got a defined personality. So every comic book interpretation just seems like ... winging it

IDK, even if it's "winging", it's fairly consistent between versions, even fan arts.

In short he's a hero, but not as "cool" as Shadow or Sonic. A bit of dork, but he makes up for it in "a strong sense of justice".

I'm sure I'm running this complaint into the ground at this point, but I really am tired of every issue jumping around just to introduce more characters and have meaningless fight scenes. Whisper may or may not end up being an interesting character but I feel like there's no chance of knowing for a year or two because they'll just jump to some other character's business next issue. And what even got accomplished here? They found out information they were too late to act on and would find out basically 30 seconds later anyway.

Spoiler

Ae8oNdu.png

"Dorky Silver" is when he's at his best imo. Gives the guy some humility without turning him into a complete joke. Him trying his hardest to be friendly but being a bit awkward just makes him endearing compared to when he was just another stiff imo. I like the contrast between Silver trying to be more of a proper hero and Sonic's more laidback approach to everything. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm actually going to be that guy and say I'm not too fond of this SIlver, mostly because he comes off a bit redundant when Tangle already somewhat embodies his personality. Both are dorky, both have some sort of idolization/fanboyism/crush(????) on a character (Tangle to Blaze and maybe Sonic, Silver to Whisper). The issue itself being yet another "Sonic gets to the place, someone saves him, they talk a little bit, they fight some big baddie and then they talk a little bit more about overarching plot" doesn't help either. I don't mind Silver being a little bit dorky, but I feel like in this issue Ian went a bit overboard with dorkiness.

At least Whisper is cute. Also Silver has the objectively best panel in the whole series:

Spoiler

image.jpg

and you're wrong if you say otherwise /s

• Thumbs Up 1

I enjoyed it. I like how Silver was fanboying over Whisper and I also really dig how Whisper is being used to develop more about the War and Eggman's control during Forces. I can't wait to find out more about her.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ok, here's my summarized thoughts on issue #8:

I 👏 need 👏 more 👏 Whisper 👏

Spoiler

Also Metal is turning Angel Island into Eggmanland 2.0 or something, that could lead into something, but...

I 👏 need 👏 more 👏 Whisper 👏

10 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

Hide contents

Wisper is yet another misguided Cream type of girl that literally acts like a Cream Type, she wasn't worth the panel space at all, plus the cutesy stuff with her and Silver in the end is just cringe  [/spolier]

WTF

Spoiler

Whisper is a Cream type? You're saying she acts like Cream? You're seriously comparing the skittishly shy assassin with a vendetta against Eggman to the dainty, pacifist, biggest social butterfly in the series who would break bread with her enemies mid battle?

The similarities between the two are pretty far off to go claim they were built from the same mold. Personality wise they couldn't be farther apart.

1 hour ago, Bobnik said:

I'm actually going to be that guy and say I'm not too fond of this SIlver, mostly because he comes off a bit redundant when Tangle already somewhat embodies his personality. Both are dorky, both have some sort of idolization/fanboyism/crush(????) on a character (Tangle to Blaze and maybe Sonic, Silver to Whisper)

I think what sets them apart will be Silvers penchant for leadership. While Tangle will find it difficult to climb her way out of the trope, Silver can easily fall back into his Flynn time-tested pattern of recruitment and pick up where he left off building a Squad. Between the Secret Freedom Fighters and the Silver Age crew, Flynn has made Silver into a nexus of team-building, and the ground work for Whisper to be his next recruit appears to already be in motion.

If Silver continues to progress as I expect him too, than his redundancies with Tangle will fix themselves as Silver will quickly evolve past his dorky side character into a Leader with some quirks - a role which the series is actually quite deprived off.

• Thumbs Up 2