Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Aaah, I really liked this issue, but it's already obvious why~! xD
Silver's personality is hilariously goofy and I love it. The reasoning behind why he's so attached to Whisper is pretty good. I dig it.

Also, I don't really see Silver's fanboying over Whisper as a "crush;" more like he admires her for being able to do what he... can't (?) on his own? Is that the right way to put it? Anyway, I definitely see them becoming a team, and maybe they'll form that brother-sister relationship that he and Blaze were originally portrayed to have. Oh, and I really like Whisper! I like her bond with the wisps, and I'm curious to see what Ian plans on bringing to the table with her and her situation. Her design is also really nice to look at. Great use of color!

Anyway, this issue really delivered for me. I've been waiting for this one for a while, and I'm glad it met my expectations! ^^ Excited for more, of course!

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

But Silver already is that in the games, he doesn't really need to grow into it there. 

Does he? He's just as open to teamwork as the next guy but outside of some Dialog in Forces he's never really stepped up as a leader. He was super dependent on Blaze in 06, Took notes form Espio in Rivals and fell in line during his limited screen-time in Generations.

Silver's leadership in the games pales to what Ian built him up to be in the back end of the Archie comics. Silver lead the Secret FFs (which had some big personalities) and carved up his SIlver Age posse from scratch. SegaSilver hardly has that same motivation - he just rolls with the punches as they come like most of the cast.

14 minutes ago, BlossomHaze said:

Aaah, I really liked this issue, but it's already obvious why~! xD
Silver's personality is hilariously goofy and I love it. The reasoning behind why he's so attached to Whisper is pretty good. I dig it.

Also, I don't really see Silver's fanboying over Whisper as a "crush;" more like he admires her for being able to do what he... can't (?) on his own? Is that the right way to put it? Anyway, I definitely see them becoming a team, and maybe they'll form that brother-sister relationship that he and Blaze were originally portrayed to have. Oh, and I really like Whisper! I like her bond with the wisps, and I'm curious to see what Ian plans on bringing to the table with her and her situation. Her design is also really nice to look at. Great use of color!

Anyway, this issue really delivered for me. I've been waiting for this one for a while, and I'm glad it met my expectations! ^^ Excited for more, of course!

I agree with that. Fandoms literally  these days like to overreach on things just to ship characters.  just cause someone does something epic like blowing a battleship up aka blaze or whisper with silver. A character saying wow that was just amazing wow. You did an amazing job! In no form means that person has a crush. Otherwise us have a crush on every person I've ever played with in overwatch from a good potg

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

Quick question, is there any artist here?

Cause I need a fan art of Whisper and her Wisp friends having punch up with Eclipse and his Wisp babies.

I need it. NOW. Shipping picture will be acceptable too. I'm flexible.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

Just a theory about the hinted past of Whisper

Spoiler

Maybe it's not something that happens to her, but more something related to her wisp friends : I think that the last wisp is a nega-wisp (violet or purple), and that she can't let him out because it would be dangerous/rabbid, or something like that ? And that that's also why she doesn't like Eggman, because she care about these creatures, and think that the transformation caused by Hyper-Go-On energy extraction was horrible ?

It's just a silly theory, though :V

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

19 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

Just a theory about the hinted past of Whisper

Reveal hidden contents

Maybe it's not something that happens to her, but more something related to her wisp friends : I think that the last wisp is a nega-wisp (violet or purple), and that she can't let him out because it would be dangerous/rabbid, or something like that ? And that that's also why she doesn't like Eggman, because she care about these creatures, and think that the transformation caused by Hyper-Go-On energy extraction was horrible ?

It's just a silly theory, though :V

I think this is pretty solid, actually. I imagine hee beef with eggman is tied to the wisps some kind of way

13 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I think this is pretty solid, actually. I imagine hee beef with eggman is tied to the wisps some kind of way

I think none of them are nega, I looked their pictures on the wikia.

Also, all these wisps are the same ones from issue 9 cover.

Evan Stanley actualluy makes the wisps cute and appealing, someone no other artist did for me, I might like them as much as the chao now. I hope Tracy Yardley renders them this appealing in issue 9 too.

55 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Cause I need a fan art of Whisper and her Wisp friends having punch up with Eclipse and his Wisp babies.

I actually would love to do this!!!

And I agree with the theory that something happened to the Wisps, and that's why she's angry. I'm sure we'll find out soon!

29 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

I think none of them are nega, I looked their pictures on the wikia.

We have seen 5 of her 6 wisp (there is one where the wisp doesn't come out), and that's the same 5 that are in the cover. What I'm saying is that the sixth is a Nega-Wisp (I think a Purple one)

• Thumbs Up 1

This one was a nice lead in issue, as expected. 

I enjoyed the issue overall. The majority of the beginning through the middle was the best of the issue's content. Ian's character work continues to be the best part about his writing and I could read the dialogue between these guys practically forever. It's incredible how well "Adorkable Silver" works here. I'm glad he's endeared himself to me as a character I can grow to outright love nowadays. He and I had a rocky start but now, every time I see him in action, he goes up a few notches for me, which is great. The line "I'm a big fan" is heart-meltingly cute.

Whisper had a different personality than I was expecting based on her concept art. That's good because I think I may have found myself more interested in her than Tangle. Tangle was roughly what I expected personality wise, if not a few things being a tad surprising to the point where I found her charming but I wasn't left itching for me like I am here. I do have a genuine interest in seeing where this character ends up.

Of course, the issue ends with another fight scene and unlike Issue 7 where it got to breathe and be the highlight because of excellent choreography and artistry, this one falls in line with a lot of the usual stuff. A bunch of bouncy balls flying all over the place, explosions, and movement that's hard to pinpoint at times. If anything stuff like this continues to stand as  proof to me that Ian would be excellent at writing for the games. The cutscene would start when Sonic meets Silver. They'd run through the level. Another cutscene would happen when they're discussing and then meeting Whisper. Then they'd break into the room and have their Boss Battle against E-107. 

It's perfect for that but in a comic, it's admittedly very redundant. This has been Ian's style of writing for a long while though and it's mostly a lot more formulaic and noticeable this go around here at Issue 8 of this entirely new comic where things are still very much building to its first climax. 

Good issue. I enjoyed the characterization. The fighting not so much but it wasn't the majority of the issue and what it accomplished overall was ultimately satisfying on the whole. I'm eager to see the first big battle go down. 

Still, I gotta say, its a shame this man isn't writing for the games. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

9 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

IDK, even if it's "winging", it's fairly consistent between versions, even fan arts.

In short he's a hero, but not as "cool" as Shadow or Sonic. A bit of dork, but he makes up for it in "a strong sense of justice".

I don't think its consistent between versions, and its not consistent within fan art. It is consistent with the comic book, which make sense because the games never... really gave him a personality. I'm not really angry or anything, I don't really care about silver too much to get miffed over this, and sonic forces made silver look way worse than he did here. Its just like silver will always be weird to me, because every personality he has in this book is basically a temp personality untill sega does something with him

Heck I would argue that " a bit of a dork " isn't really a personality at all and he still kind of lacks it. Like with everyone else I can make arguments they did right by them or wrong by them. But with him... he just kinda exists

17 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Heck I would argue that " a bit of a dork " isn't really a personality at all...

Why would you though...? That's gonna stretch the opposite direction and nobody wants that.

So, are we going to talk about Theta finally making its physical debut after years of name-dropping in Archie Sonic?

Wasn’t Theta off-limits post-reboot because of his association with Light Mobius?

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, StaticMania said:

It's kinda hard for Whisper to leave much impression...but she's cute, so there's that.

Why is Theta basically Zeta but better?

I know, right?

22 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

Hide contents

Wisper is yet another misguided Cream type of girl that literally acts like a Cream Type, she wasn't worth the panel space at all, plus the cutesy stuff with her and Silver in the end is just cringe  [/spolier]

I don't know if I can stomach more of Ian's stuff.

Uh, excuse you?

21 hours ago, Razule said:

So much for..

Hide contents

.."bright skies and everyone's got a smile", Silver's future is just always ruined now, dang. Hey, if all organic life was destroyed, how's Silver's still alive? Guess time-travelling makes him immune to the Grandfather Clause. His family must have been erased ten times over, at some point, what's even the point of going back to save the world if everyone you know ceases to be anyway? Or maybe all life only disappeared conveniently just after Silver was born. Huh.

Spoiler

I remember Preboot once proposed the idea of him being a walking paradox/anomaly where time is concerned, so maybe that's how it works.

17 hours ago, Silent Jack said:

Hide contents

It's more in line with issue 4's formula, but it's also a transition to next arc. Silver is written wonderfully, I noticed his social background too, in opposition with Whisper, which is a great idea, in some way she is a blend of Cream and Blaze, shy but kind, a warrior that fights with little aliens. Tangle is also great in "gameplay" idea and she's very unique, while Whisper is a character based on the Avatar but her personality seems intriguing and apparently Eggman did something to her. We'll find out eventually. In fact I think I prefer Whisper to Tangle personality-wise, Tangle was just a Sonic light basically. Whisper shines both in personality and gameplay, I love the upgraded wispon, plus potentially some backstory.

She's an easy improvement over Tangle, if you ask me.

16 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

But hey, new Whisper is here. Or as I like to call her "Overwatch is popular "

Hide contents

Maybe I'm jumping to conclusion but she really feels like new character to Overwatch, just with Sonic Forced theme. Anyway, she used 5 wisp (3 from Forces) but she clearly has at least 6 containers? Is the last one some kind of "last resort weapon"? Void perhaps? It also implied that she has some history with Eggman, that's nice.

So overall she leaves a nice impression, with Flynn as always cheekily leaving more for later. Now let's ship her with Tangle just because. Sorry

12 hours ago, SBR2 said:

I enjoyed it. I like how Silver was fanboying over Whisper and I also really dig how Whisper is being used to develop more about the War and Eggman's control during Forces. I can't wait to find out more about her.

Nice to finally have some long-term stuff to explore.

11 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

But Silver already is that in the games, he doesn't really need to grow into it there. 

I guess the problem is that he isn't really in games to/that really showcase that.

11 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

WTF

Hide contents

Whisper is a Cream type? You're saying she acts like Cream? You're seriously comparing the skittishly shy assassin with a vendetta against Eggman to the dainty, pacifist, biggest social butterfly in the series who would break bread with her enemies mid battle?

The similarities between the two are pretty far off to go claim they were built from the same mold. Personality wise they couldn't be farther apart.

I wouldn't say social butterfly, per say, but she's definitely hospitable.

12 hours ago, Bobnik said:

I'm actually going to be that guy and say I'm not too fond of this SIlver, mostly because he comes off a bit redundant when Tangle already somewhat embodies his personality. Both are dorky, both have some sort of idolization/fanboyism/crush(????) on a character (Tangle to Blaze and maybe Sonic, Silver to Whisper).  I don't mind Silver being a little bit dorky, but I feel like in this issue Ian went a bit overboard with dorkiness.

Does he? 

Idk, the only real character trait I've seen attributed to Tangle proper is "goofball." Well that and apparently Audience Surrogate, which means little at the moment.

Silver here(and Whisper for that matter) has more definition to him.

8 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

That's what I thinking of when I saw they could leave their canisters willingly and while Whisper was hiding, no less.

3 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

So, are we going to talk about Theta finally making its physical debut after years of name-dropping in Archie Sonic?

Reveal hidden contents

Wasn’t Theta off-limits post-reboot because of his association with Light Mobius?

That's correct, to avoid any possible implication that Penders' stories were being referenced. That's why they substituted Eta in "The Chase" despite Theta being mentioned in the solicit. Interestingly, Theta isn't actually named in the story itself, just the roll call. I assume Ian's just figuring the switch to another publisher and a new continuity is giving him the okay on it.

Something else that's interesting, issue 8 confirms the existence of the Eggnet, a concept created by Ian back in pre-reboot Archie Sonic that carried over into post-reboot as well. It has no game counterpart. In Archie Sonic, it allowed Eggman to keep in touch with grandmasters/egg bosses. I wonder if Ian intends to introduce an equivalent to the DEL/Egg Army.

3 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Hide contents

Yeah, that was first thing I thought when I saw the name.

Not sure how he was such a big threat though, if this is not too far off from what was planned.

• Thumbs Up 1

I loved this issue and was glad to finally have silver in the comic. I wasn't expecting how much I love Whisper as much as I did both with her cool design and personality which really contrasted with Sonic and Silver and made for engaging dialogue that kept me hooked. I love her more than Tangle and cant wait for her next appearance. The story was interesting and I cant wait for the next story in the next issue. I understand those who don't like this formula of focus on just introducing characters and slow pace but if this year is the year of characters, hopefully next year is the year of world building and plot advancement. It also gets it out of the way so hopefully they can focus on other things next year. I am enjoying as it is for now though.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know what I miss from Archie? Places.

Even after Reboot, Flynn was speeding up to show us that the world is alive. So far this world consists of
- generic Forces towns
- Eggman bases
- Resistance base (you would think after beating Eggman they would have something better then that smelly magazine)
- Angel Island

Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, it's only 8 issues, But it just feels like Flynn is actively avoiding World-building, something he usually relished in. Even "Mr Tinker" lives in unnamed generic village with nameless mayor. Is Flynn trying to invoke spirit of games or something?

It's not helped by the fact that Flynn is seriously limited by games locations. Remove human cities, assume that LittlePlanet/LostHex/WispsPlanets/Ark/SpaceIsSureBusyInThisWorld are a bit far and won't appear for one-issue small story, let's not even talk different dimension and you're left with... Islands from early games? Assuming that Classic Mandates won't make it touchy subject? Maybe it's time to look at Riders series, we're running dry here.

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Fist Bump 1

I wouldn't be surprised if the lack of fixed location names was a new mandate, looking at Sonic Forces and its "City".

• Absolutely 1

I think it's more Flynn wanting to avoid to have the same criticism than he got with the worldbuilding of Post-SGW, and wanting to concentrate on the present story. IIRC he said somewhere that he would get wilder in the future, or something like that ?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Kazhnuz said:

I think it's more Flynn wanting to avoid to have the same criticism than he got with the worldbuilding of Post-SGW, and wanting to concentrate on the present story. IIRC he said somewhere that he would get wilder in the future, or something like that ?

He did say that. Although, just like him saying he has as much freedom as at least post-boot Archie, it could be just PR talk.

1 hour ago, Silent Jack said:

Yeah, he also stated that he is done with introductions, and now it's time to go nuts.

When did he say that?

man oh man this comic's been going for 8 issues and it's still super bland. The last couple issues were a little different and slightly more interesting, but already we're back to "sonic goes to [generic place] and meets [character(s)] and smashes some robots with them". I know it's "just setup", but setup doesn't have to be this formulaic and uncreative. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, FFWF said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the lack of fixed location names was a new mandate, looking at Sonic Forces and its "City".

There's a lot of undefined and conveniently unnamed and missing stuff that seems hella mandate-ey