Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

2 minutes ago, TheDarkHero said:

Well I don't see any western stories having a light-hearted character who is suppose to be a subversion of the love interest dynamic by making her a loyal and kind yet emotionally naive dolt. Just recently we got Tohru from Dragon Maid fitting that rare archetype and it's always presented in anime and JRPGs when they are seen.

Then we have Shadow being the "dark, mysterious rival", Silver being a rip off of Trunks, brief bursts of being concerned about Sexual growths (Blaze's bust concerns), Tails being a reference to the 9 tailed fox and, of course, super forms. Yup, the writing really is Japanese. You can just smell the type of imagination from just looking at them.

Um, is it just me or does this sound like something that could be applied to the gameverse too? I don't see anything in here screaming comics... Correct me if I'm wrong, please. ^_^

And I'm obliviousv for that first reference, who's "she" you're referring to? :huh:

Oh jeez, these "anime trope" throws make me a very happy person I read (pretty much just) something like One Piece, of course some stuff is there too but Mr. Oda's got it in a nice twist. ^_^

Just now, BlueSky said:

Um, is it just me or does this sound like something that could be applied to the gameverse too? I don't see anything in here screaming comics... Correct me if I'm wrong, please. ^_^

And I'm obliviousv for that first reference, who's "she" you're referring to? :huh:

Oh jeez, these "anime trope" throws make me a very happy person I read (pretty much just) something like One Piece, of course some stuff is there too but Mr. Oda's got it in a nice twist. ^_^

I was talking about the gameverse but it has has been bleeding into the Archie comics anyways.

Amy Rose

If only there was a way for me to actually buy one piece...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Just now, TheDarkHero said:

I was talking about the gameverse but it has has been bleeding into the Archie comics anyways.

Amy Rose

If only there was a way for me to actually buy one piece...

Ooh well, I thought about it but I wasn't too certain, thanks a lot! :D

Well yeah, it has been mixing into the comics, but I still prefer the idea of us not getting a pseudo-manga in here, those things usually give me creeps in a base level so I won't even touch them...

Mixing I get but I like the "western twist" or whatever comics has had in it.

How come, isn't even comiXology of any help? :huh:I don't really know since I can get it so easily, I just wait for the translation (which is top-notch) and then I just get to the nearest store with the magazinestands and buy one... Easier than getting Sonic actually.

9 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

Ooh well, I thought about it but I wasn't too certain, thanks a lot! :D

Well yeah, it has been mixing into the comics, but I still prefer the idea of us not getting a pseudo-manga in here, those things usually give me creeps in a base level so I won't even touch them...

Mixing I get but I like the "western twist" or whatever comics has had in it.

How come, isn't even comiXology of any help? :huh:I don't really know since I can get it so easily, I just wait for the translation (which is top-notch) and then I just get to the nearest store with the magazinestands and buy one... Easier than getting Sonic actually.

Well I wouldn't mind having a manga feel, since that's Sonic's origins. Just as long as Sonic doesn't look like this try hard "anime" abomination:

Also I am a digital reader since this is my only option in the Netherlands. And I can't find a single place to buy the manga. So yeah. I'm robbed of a potentially charming series. :/

imageproxy.png

Edited by TheDarkHero
Clarity
  • Nice Smile 1

1 minute ago, TheDarkHero said:

Well I wouldn't mind having a manga feel. Just as long as Sonic doesn't look like this try hard "anime" abomination:

Also I am a digital reader since this is my only option in the Netherlands. And I can't find a single place to buy the manga. So yeah. I'm robbed of a potentially charming series. :/

imageproxy.png

I'm pretty sure no Penders will get to the book too easily. :D

Well, that's too bad, but then again, charming... more like extra-pervert and crazed insanity. But it's epic. I love it. One Piece is no average manga I suppose. :rolleyes:

I would be fine with a new Sonic manga, as long as it does not make weird stuff in order to cater to the japanese audience, such as highschool setting, turning the cast into humans, creating a human to be the main character, putting lolis everywhere, turning all the females into pin-ups... you know... ehhh...

• Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, Korke said:

I would be fine with a new Sonic manga, as long as it does not make weird stuff in order to cater to the japanese audience, such as highschool setting, turning the cast into humans, creating a human to be the main character, putting lolis everywhere, turning all the females into pin-ups... you know... ehhh...

I wonder who'd be the mandatory pervert though...

Prolly someone young since that seems to be "cute" for some people... -_-

• Chuckle 1

7 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

I wonder who'd be the mandatory pervert though...

Prolly someone young since that seems to be "cute" for some people... -_-

Tails obviously. Probably Knuckles by accident.

Just now, SBR2 said:

Tails obviously. Probably Knuckles by accident.

I was thinking about Tails but I didn't have guts to say it out loud. -_-

So Amy will once crash to Knux and he'll grab her from someplace By accident, and after that she'll always beat him to pulp.

All while Tails' ogling her waiting her panties to make an appearance...

Hooray. :rolleyes:

• Chuckle 1

40 minutes ago, Korke said:

Lolis, pin ups.... Too late. we already have one or two of those in the main series. XD

2 hours ago, TheDarkHero said:

Well I don't see any western stories having a light-hearted character who is suppose to be a subversion of the love interest dynamic by making her a loyal and kind yet emotionally naive dolt. Just recently we got Tohru from Dragon Maid fitting that rare archetype and it's always presented in anime and JRPGs when they are seen.

Then we have Shadow being the "dark, mysterious rival", Silver being a rip off of Trunks, brief bursts of being concerned about Sexual growths (Blaze's bust concerns), Tails being a reference to the 9 tailed fox and, of course, super forms. Yup, the writing really is Japanese. You can just smell the type of imagination from just looking at them.

Shadow' sthick is nothing unique to anime & manga.  And where was it said Blaze cared about her bust?  

And yes Sonic borrows from Dragon Ball Z just like it does western toons.  But hey DBZ borrowed from Superman.  At the end of the day everything just circles around like a mobius strip.  There are really no country exclusive tropes, just ones certain mediums use more then others.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

Shadow' sthick is nothing unique to anime & manga.  And where was it said Blaze cared about her bust?  

And yes Sonic borrows from Dragon Ball Z just like it does western toons.  But hey DBZ borrowed from Superman.  At the end of the day everything just circles around like a mobius strip.  There are really no country exclusive tropes, just ones certain mediums use more then others.

What rival characters are even like Shadow? The closest one is Vegeta. And here in the west the only one we have is Zuko from Avatar.

Blaze's was stated during a official background review of the characters back in 2006

Sonic, as well as most shounen stories at the time, was directly influenced by Akira Toriyama works. Dragonball, a series inspired by Journey to the West, was making waves in Japanese media around the time and Toriyama is considered one of the most influential creators in Japan, hence why a lot of Japanese material stemmed from Dragon Ball before the west even knew what anime was. It was that monumental in the 90s and early 2000s Japan.

And the comment about mediums... That only strengthens my point. Japan, like every other country, has its own creative culture where elements define the creative ecosystem. And Sonic is a part of that. No matter how much SEGA of Japan could try to "westernize" Sonic, they are still filtering everything though the lenses of Japanese writers. That's where we get Boom by a western studio... I'll stop now...

Edited by TheDarkHero
Missing details

Y'know, Mr. Oda came to a conclusion as young that DB is even better than Disney.

One Piece is crazy, if Sonic'll go that way, it'll be interesting.

Since as far as I know OP is actually pretty big in Japan. ^_^

About rivals... hmm...

Darker version of already estabilished cast member seeking out who they are...

I dunno, I'll try to come up with something. I have a nagging feeling about something fitting to that hole...

Countless shows, movies, comics and cartoons have shadow like rival characters.  We've seen it in superhero comics, scifi, fantasy, westerns, etc.

And whoever added that pointless tidbit to Blaze's bio needs to stop watching ecchi before work. 

But yes people take inspiration from everywhere.  Sonic is a mix of popular western & eastren tropes that much is true.  But overall its been more or less an international franchise from the start. With the American & British toons & comics giving the character world/story/depth etc far before the modern era of Sonic came along via the Dreamcast games.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, TheDarkHero said:

What rival characters are even like Shadow? The closest one is Vegeta.

I would argue Vegeta isn't really close at all. People compare them because they are grumpy, but their motivations... and like everything are so differents its nuts, Shadow would actually hate vegeta as a character. Shadow if he's closer to anyone, it would actually be wolverine

But I guess that speaks to the point , there are quite a few characters like shadow, there are quite a few characters like all the characters in the cast. The sonic tropes for their characters aren't unique, what they do with them is why people like them, and their trappings. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

So are we continuing the "generalise Japanese media with only the dumbest understanding of it through the lens of the anime that gets exported" trend this thread's been in the past few pages?

Here's some magic for you- funny animal characters are popular in Japan.

WHAAAT? HOW CAN IT BEEEE? EVERYONE SAYS THEY AREN'T!!"!!!

They're popular as children's content. Tiny kids; or as marketing materials for young women, part of kawaii appeal. Why do you think there's Sonic x Hello Kitty apparel? Why do you think JP Sonic X leans so heavily on being a show for 5-year-olds it outright uses designs from previous TMS productions for 5-year-olds?

Now if you'd rather switch to idiotic panicking that the comic will be infantilised instead of this idiotic discussion of shooting half-understood tropes of foreign media at each other, go ahead.

PS: "sonic was more popular in the west" means bull here. Consider:

1. By that argument, fuck SatAM. Base it on StC- Sonic's the most popular in the UK.

2. There's no clean direction of influence here. Sonic may be aimed at a Western audience, but it's still made by Japanese people with Japanese sensibilities. The Sonic games, the main product, the actual successful, influential, and relevant part of the franchise, are in their majority Japanese-pretending-to-be-American. Which is monumentally different from just "American", because it'll bring a lot of elements that "American" wouldn't think to. I mean, just compare the games to SatAM to see how yeah, no. American, in 1991, would've NEVER have been a cute but cool colourful videogame with simple designs that're appealing and easy to draw and overall a sense of peril that doesn't come at cost of lightheartedness. Instead, you'd get the entire nonsense that is the SatAM concept art development.

• Thumbs Up 6

44 minutes ago, The KKM said:

So are we continuing the "generalise Japanese media with only the dumbest understanding of it through the lens of the anime that gets exported" trend this thread's been in the past few pages?

They're popular as children's content. Tiny kids; or as marketing materials for young women, part of kawaii appeal. Why do you think there's Sonic x Hello Kitty apparel? Why do you think JP Sonic X leans so heavily on being a show for 5-year-olds it outright uses designs from previous TMS productions for 5-year-olds?

Now if you'd rather switch to idiotic panicking that the comic will be infantilised instead of this idiotic discussion of shooting half-understood tropes of foreign media at each other, go ahead.

PS: "sonic was more popular in the west" means bull here. Consider:

1. By that argument, fuck SatAM. Base it on StC- Sonic's the most popular in the UK.

2. There's no clean direction of influence here. Sonic may be aimed at a Western audience, but it's still made by Japanese people with Japanese sensibilities. The Sonic games, the main product, the actual successful, influential, and relevant part of the franchise, are in their majority Japanese-pretending-to-be-American. Which is monumentally different from just "American", because it'll bring a lot of elements that "American" wouldn't think to. I mean, just compare the games to SatAM to see how yeah, no. American, in 1991, would've NEVER have been a cute but cool colourful videogame with simple designs that're appealing and easy to draw and overall a sense of peril that doesn't come at cost of lightheartedness. Instead, you'd get the entire nonsense that is the SatAM concept art development.

Aside from your salt over our jokes, I didn't really get your ideas. Why base the new comics in StC? Sure, it did had some popularity in the UK but in the rest, it was mostly ignored. Not to mention it did had some bizarre elements like Sonic doing Marvel's Kitty Pride skill going through solid things because "he was moving his molecules in ultra speed". Not to mention that, if people thought Pre-reboot Archie Sonic was a cunt, they should meet StC Sonic.

And what do you mean in the second point from a practical view? The classic games worked like a blank paper, full of possible interpretations, in which some both StC and SatAM could perfectly fit.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, Korke said:

Aside from your salt over our jokes, I didn't really get your ideas. Why base the new comics in StC? Sure, it did had some popularity in the UK but in the rest, it was mostly ignored. Not to mention it did had some bizarre elements like Sonic doing Marvel's Kitty Pride skill going through solid things because "he was moving his molecules in ultra speed". Not to mention that, if people thought Pre-reboot Archie Sonic was a cunt, they should meet StC Sonic.

The point is that Sonic shouldn't be defined just by which region he was most popular in, because by that reasoning, StC should have the most influence, but I doubt that's what most people would want.

Also I'm pretty sure Sonic did that "vibrating through stuff" thing at least once in Archie as well, so.

And what do you mean in the second point from a practical view? The classic games worked like a blank paper, full of possible interpretations, in which some both StC and SatAM could perfectly fit.

Wait, what? No, there is no possible way that SatAM can "perfectly fit" with the games, even if we ignore the Japanese stories and look only at the games themselves. Roboticization alone is enough to disqualify it.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

36 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Wait, what? No, there is no possible way that SatAM can "perfectly fit" with the games, even if we ignore the Japanese stories and look only at the games themselves. Roboticization alone is enough to disqualify it.

Not quite. How about the badniks? They are not portrayed as gritty and dark as the roboticization but works in a similar way.

5 hours ago, Korke said:

Not to mention that, if people thought Pre-reboot Archie Sonic was a cunt, they should meet StC Sonic.

This is the main reason for me why I don't find that online continuation too appealling actually; too many characters acting too jerk-like for my tastes.

Okay, I suppose it could be because of local "common sense of humour", if that even exists, but still, that kind of traits aren't for me.

Just wanted to say, because, well, this is another thing I'd like the IDW to steer away from; jerkified cast. Even if Sonic was big in UK. Many things have been big in UK but never get that big in other places, if they're after international readerbase, maybe they'd try something else when it comes to the personalities...

And to drive people insane, I remembered another "Shonen trope"; "main" main character's usually at least a bit dumb. At least many of them operate in their very own sense of logic...

6 hours ago, The KKM said:

Sorry, my bad, I just couldn't resist. :blushing:

Fact is I'm probably the last person to criticise since I'm more into one type of manga and all. <_< Just felt like I should get that trope out of my head...

But yeah,that sounds somewhat believable, though the thing still seems to be they give kids some "surrogates" as in human child characters, like the previously mentioned Sonic X did.

But well yeah, that's also prolly one of the explanations of why they keep putting Chopper in everywhere when it comes to the OP merchandise. I'm not too sure whether it's him or Luffy I've seen used more...

Nah, I just don't dig the idea of "another doomed pseudo-manga" you know...

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Korke said:

Not quite. How about the badniks? They are not portrayed as gritty and dark as the roboticization but works in a similar way.

Badniks superficially don't resemble roboticized people at all and work completely differently. You can't just eject an animal from a roboticized outfit since they ARE the roboticized outfit. They're not even similar apart from being robots taking advantage of organisms. 

Yeah SatAM couldn't fit inside the SEGASonic verse at all. And the classic games AREN'T a "blank paper" they have fully established backstories and concepts that move in a linear fashion with every new game. Even the small glimpses of personalities and backstories for the characters we see don't fit with SatAM at all.

StC follows the SoA continuity up through Sonic 2 and takes radically different turns past there. Even before the changes, Super Sonic works completely differently from how we ever knew him in the games. So nope, that doesn't work either. 

• Thumbs Up 5

It always amazes me how salty some people get online just because they find out theres people that don't worship anime like they do.

And yes we know certain chars like Hello Kitty & Mickey Mouse are popular in Japan, and kids shows use animal chars, but the overall point was they aren't quite as big there as say the US/UK/Europe.

Anywho back to the topic of the comic I hope we get a Writer/Artist announced soon.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 2

16 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

Anywho back to the topic of the comic I hope we get a Writer/Artist announced soon.

We'll probably get news at NYCC; which is in October. 

• Thumbs Up 3