Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

2 hours ago, StaticMania said:

But they're not gonna replace each other

Well, obviously not. I didn't say that.

...also...concept art? Why even with that?

Because that's how the releases happened? Even if Whisper is more of a Rough n' Tumble than a Tangle.

Maybe if they had attributes to compare...other than the Avatar concept which seems to only apply to one of them.

Tangle was once described as essentially being a Sonic fan living in Sonic's World. Ironically, that's the closest to what character she had in the actual issue than all the other fluff.

It's loose, I know, but I'm not the one who decided these things.

16 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

You know what I miss from Archie? Places.

Even after Reboot, Flynn was speeding up to show us that the world is alive. So far this world consists of
- generic Forces towns
- Eggman bases
- Resistance base (you would think after beating Eggman they would have something better then that smelly magazine)
- Angel Island

Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, it's only 8 issues, But it just feels like Flynn is actively avoiding World-building, something he usually relished in. Even "Mr Tinker" lives in unnamed generic village with nameless mayor. Is Flynn trying to invoke spirit of games or something?

It's not helped by the fact that Flynn is seriously limited by games locations. Remove human cities, assume that LittlePlanet/LostHex/WispsPlanets/Ark/SpaceIsSureBusyInThisWorld are a bit far and won't appear for one-issue small story, let's not even talk different dimension and you're left with... Islands from early games? Assuming that Classic Mandates won't make it touchy subject? Maybe it's time to look at Riders series, we're running dry here.

Maybe he could ask to lift locations from the post-reboot or make up some new ones? Even then, we also have stuff like Advance and Heroes.

Finally decided to got back and reread Issue 4 on whatever impulse. Here's some things I thought while reading:

• Sonic says the Resistance didn't make it there yet, even though there are two people with Wispons shooting at the Egg Pawns while others watch from the balcony. He then reacts to Tangle's presence with "Somebody's here?"...What?
    • Okay, he mentions it's the Town Militia.
  • The Village is indeed Tangle's Hometown. Which is why it's unnamed.
  • "You're sweet not to notice." :confused:
  • I meant to question this before, but why is the dropship a giant Buzzer?
  • Blaze and I guess by default Tangle look fine throughout most of this, but Sonic almost always looks weird.

I really enjoyed issue #8. My favorite issues are the ones with plentiful dialogue and character interactions, and this one didn't let me down. Silver and Whisper were both adorable. Whisper says so little but still leaves a big impact and Silver proves what a likable character he can be. The action was great, the art was on-point, and I'm hyped to see what's next. Only thing I disliked was Silver's mild bad word. I'm just not a fan of that kind of language in anything Sonic related, so I hope it's not going to become the norm at any point. 

16 hours ago, Flame Lance said:

I really enjoyed issue #8. My favorite issues are the ones with plentiful dialogue and character interactions, and this one didn't let me down. Silver and Whisper were both adorable. Whisper says so little but still leaves a big impact and Silver proves what a likable character he can be. The action was great, the art was on-point, and I'm hyped to see what's next. Only thing I disliked was Silver's mild bad word. I'm just not a fan of that kind of language in anything Sonic related, so I hope it's not going to become the norm at any point. 

Bad word? What

Bit late to the topic and bringing a more negative opinion to it about issue 8. That is to say, it did nothing for me.

Despite handling the character introductions well and further addressing why Sonic may not necessarily be up to speed, I just got nothing from this issue. Silver was enjoyable in his own way and the art was good with the fight scenes easy to follow, but I just feel like it was missing something, like it could have been a little more dynamic. Of course my negative opinion could also be stemming from fatigue of the current formula, or maybe because I was still on a high from issue 7 and the little previously page in the digital copy preceding the comic put a damper on things for me. I can't really say.

What I can say though is that Whisper didn't work for me in her introduction. Her motives are unclear, her personality is difficult to judge, and her destructive methods while also striving to avoid making contact with others didn't feel complimentary at this point. Obviously there is a mystery surrounding her and more of that will be explored going forward, but I really have little interest at this point. I'll try to avoid making any comparisons between her and Tangle since they are two totally different characters, but the bottom line is right now I'd rather see more Tangle than Whisper simply because Whisper failed to really entertain me. If not for her character hook of some sort of history with Eggman I would just write her off as a one off character and forget about her as the story returns to the battling Metal Sonic. I know that isn't the case though and that we should be seeing more of her going forward so hopefully in her next outing she'll manage to entertain me or give me a bit more to chew on about her character so that I can start to become invested in her. Right now though she isn't even engaging enough for me to earn an eh.

I agree, but that wasn't my problem really. My problem is that she simply did not entertain me in her first outing and in an entertainment medium that is not a good start. Sure she has mystery and intrigue surrounding her to serve as a hook to keep the reader invested and curious, but as she failed to entertain me I simply am not interested in learning more. I even reread the issue before posting here just to see if i was missing something based on the general love that she is getting and was subsequently not entertained again. I don't know why I don't find her entertaining, but right now I don't. As she should be a recurring character I'm genuinely hoping that my stance on her changes down the line, but that's only because I know she will be back, and not because I care to see more of her.

I'm not going to argue whether crap is a bad word or not. All I am saying is I don't agree with it being in the comics. Kids read these comics too and not every parent is going to think that particular word is something that belongs in family friendly material, and I personally don't blame them. It's long been excluded in kids' content for a reason. Heck, no Sonic products to my knowledge have used the word either, until now. I'd prefer it stay that way, that's all. 

14 minutes ago, Flame Lance said:

Heck, no Sonic products to my knowledge have used the word either, until now. I'd prefer it stay that way, that's all. 

Yeah, they used "damn" and "hell", which are no doubt more extreme than merely "crap."

2 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Yeah, they used "damn" and "hell", which are no doubt more extreme than merely "crap."

Well, I agree with you there... Wasn't a fan of that either, but the game was at least rated for ages 10 plus, so it's something. 

17 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

So....

does anyone think the Master Emerald might get shattered again?

Same answer as with Blaze hunting for the Sol Emerald's: it's been done already fairly recently, so no, just Knuckles do stuff.