Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Crap is not a bad word. My lord. The kids excuse is poor ag best when we just had a issue with me treating to kill sonic. Idw comics are far from archie in terms of what they publish and I guarantee a majority of readers are far from children.

3 hours ago, ShadowSJG said:

Knuckles said damn in Sonic Runners

Knuckles always had a dirty mouth. Remember Sonic Heroes?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 2

But you can threaten to kill any character in a kids media as long as you don't actually use the word "kill"...

But it seems like even that doesn't really apply anymore.

This reminds me of my good old Bumbleking Forum days, where I got auto banned for one week for dodging the swear filter because I accidentally wrote "damm" instead of "damn" (Because the german word is "verdammt"). I even mailed Ian Flynn about it. 😂

• Chuckle 2

7 hours ago, ShadowSJG said:

Knuckles said damn in Sonic Runners

The game also allegedly had numerous grammar failures in its dialogue IIRC, so you could chalk it up to bad translations, maybe? I never played it, so I don't know. Anyway, I'd rather not sit and debate this. I don't think "crap" belongs in Sonic and I'm not apologizing for it nor changing my mind about it, so let's all agree to disagree. 

57 minutes ago, Flame Lance said:

The game also allegedly had numerous grammar failures in its dialogue IIRC, so you could chalk it up to bad translations, maybe? I never played it, so I don't know. Anyway, I'd rather not sit and debate this. I don't think "crap" belongs in Sonic and I'm not apologizing for it nor changing my mind about it, so let's all agree to disagree. 

There was also things like Cream calling Sonic an old geezer. For some reason. :lol:

4 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

There was also things like Cream calling Sonic an old geezer. For some reason. :lol:

I think that's a bit out of character, don't you think?

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

The guy's like 42 years old, it's understandable

• Chuckle 2

8 hours ago, Meta77 said:

Crap is not a bad word. My lord. The kids excuse is poor ag best when we just had a issue with me treating to kill sonic. Idw comics are far from archie in terms of what they publish and I guarantee a majority of readers are far from children.

Yeah, this might be my Southern American sensibilities, but crap was something that I've been throwing out since I was about 8. That just seemed normal.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I think that's a bit out of character, don't you think?

"Mr. Sonic, you're a dried up crusty old hasbeen, who sweats literal tombstone dust from your joints each time your rusty, un-oiled body tries to push your dumb, saggy, linguini legs to run. You look like one of those old fucks from the Muppets."

- A Literal, Actual Quote from Cream the Rabbit.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 5
  • My Emmerdoods 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

13 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

"Mr. Sonic, you're a dried up crusty old hasbeen, who sweats literal tombstone dust from your joints each time your rusty, un-oiled body tries to push your dumb, saggy, linguini legs to run. You look like one of those old fucks from the Muppets."

In my head, I imagine Cream' actually saying that with a smile and her cutesy voice, and I just can't stop laughing. Do you mind if this goes in my sig?

7 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

In my head, I imagine Cream' actually saying that with a smile and her cutesy voice, and I just can't stop laughing. Do you mind if this goes in my sig?

I'd be honored. XD

2 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

" You look like one of those old fucks from the Muppets."

Someone ask Michelle Ruff to record this. :joy: 

Swear words suck. What's the point of profanities if everyone uses the same ones?

It's just ridiculous. Also cartoons and comics get creative.

Dk0awvpU4AAcqrq.jpg

Seems like Stanley will draw issue 8 and not Yardley! I'm glad because Stanley is one of my favorite artists! Does it mean she'll do issue 9 too?

Perhaps Yardley need some more time before properly drawing Whisper.

13 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Yeah, this might be my Southern American sensibilities, but crap was something that I've been throwing out since I was about 8. That just seemed normal.

It's also unusual to consider it swearing in the UK, at least in my experience. Not that it ordinarily crops up in children's media of course, but it's never struck me as particularly offensive.

7 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Swear words suck. What's the point of profanities if everyone uses the same ones?

It's just ridiculous. Also cartoons and comics get creative.

Swear words are great* when used in small doses (and large with certain characters in shows for adults). They express surprise or discontent in a way that other words cannot because they aren't meant to come up in normal conversation.

*Not including extremely offensive words that are racist, sexist, homophobic, ableist etc. Those are only appropriate in a mature context that is trying to address intolerance in society.

I think Ian  Flynn is keeping the worldbuilding for later. I hope we can reach 300 issues and a second book (Universe or Classic??)

• Thumbs Up 1

Happy to see Stanley doing the art for #9. Tracy is great, and he seems to be better than before, but I've never been particularly crazy about the way he draws Blaze... and others, for that matter. Stanley on the other hand, does a phenomenal job on Blaze, and I really enjoy her art a lot in general. 

56 minutes ago, Flame Lance said:

Happy to see Stanley doing the art for #9. Tracy is great, and he seems to be better than before, but I've never been particularly crazy about the way he draws Blaze... and others, for that matter. Stanley on the other hand, does a phenomenal job on Blaze, and I really enjoy her art a lot in general. 

Her Sonic needs a little work, though.

Also, who usually does colors for her?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Matt Herms

Yeah, well, I think they need some darker/different colors/colorist for her style.

Just now, DabigRG said:

Yeah, well, I think they need some darker/different colors/colorist for her style.

Is there one in the Sonic comics (archie) so I can have an idea?