Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

50 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

She doesn't have a thing to focus character development on...she's pretty content.

...Oh?

I mean, I suppose it is true that she is arguably more balanced and down to earth than most characters barring, like, Tails. But another issue there is that the games never really did much with her proper; from what I've read/heard, only Sonic Battle puts explicit focus on her as a character and lightly deconstructs her combat mentality.  Otherwise, she's mainly been a supporting character, almost always with Amy and a few times Blaze.

Again, I am of the opinion that Sonic X and Archie did more with her on a wider scale than the games did. Oh and I guess maybe STCO but I didn't get very far into STC itself to remotely approach knowing and even then, that is apparently so outside of what Cream is supposed to be anyway.

Also, unlike characters like Big, Vector, or some of the Zeti, Cream actually fit in with the standard [Classic] Sonic game design/formula, so she's not really a niche or more accurately bizarre character either.

I'm sure there's still other options for stories with her, but that would likely require simpler, more filler-level stories. Also, pairing her with characters she'd have stronger contrast and/or conflict with(ex. Knuckles, Sticks, Zavok), with her interactions with Amy being a little more expanded beyond the minor comedy. 

7 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

She (Cream) doesn't have a thing to focus character development on...she's pretty content.

Well if Sega got drunk and decided to give characters development and arc, Cream could be painted as a defender to all the little creatures. Chao, Small animals, Flickies, Wisps. She could actually learn from Sonic or Amy how to be a real hero or something like that. You know, how Tails used to be painted as weak and dependent on Sonic. But unlike him, she didn't got two own spin-offs and Super form year after creation.

And if we're talking small stories, then what she needs? Eggman is a big meanie, she will fight him. It's little to go on, but good enough for Tangle. Or IDK, that spikey blue guy.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Well if Sega got drunk and decided to give characters development and arc, Cream could be painted as a defender to all the little creatures. Chao, Small animals, Flickies, Wisps. She could actually learn from Sonic or Amy how to be a real hero or something like that. You know, how Tails used to be painted as weak and dependent on Sonic. But unlike him, she didn't got two own spin-offs and Super form year after creation.

And if we're talking small stories, then what she needs? Eggman is a big meanie, she will fight him. It's little to go on, but good enough for Tangle. Or IDK, that spikey blue guy.

Or/and here's a really weird ass idea I thought of just now-- have her hang with Tails, the character she is something of a loose distaff to and maybe use that to draw out some differences.

Oh and also, maybe give her a minor antagonist to deal with in a story or two. Something like Bokkun or that snooty rabbit girl with the Dark Chao

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm not saying she doesn't need an arc or anything.

But she's like Sonic...and doesn't really need much development.

Not like it'll really stick anyway.

Here's a crazy thought:

Outside of our current pool of artists, which artist would you like to come work on pencilling the IDW Sonic comics? Or as a cover artist, or for colouring?

Personally, I'd love to see @Drawloverlala come draw an issue of the series. And, as a crazier hope, for Yuji Uekawa to create a cover for the series, maybe for a milestone issue. But I don't know if he's aware of IDW Sonic, even if it's endorsed by Sonic Team...

• Fist Bump 1

I've not got a large amount to say here but honestly my overall opinion of this comic thus far has been very strong. I'm genuinely really happy with the level of quality and anticipate each new issue with excitement. Godspeed to the IDW staff.

• Fist Bump 3

10 hours ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

Here's a crazy thought:

Outside of our current pool of artists, which artist would you like to come work on pencilling the IDW Sonic comics? Or as a cover artist, or for colouring?

Personally, I'd love to see @Drawloverlala come draw an issue of the series. And, as a crazier hope, for Yuji Uekawa to create a cover for the series, maybe for a milestone issue. But I don't know if he's aware of IDW Sonic, even if it's endorsed by Sonic Team...

I think my answer for a cover would be Spaz, if he's available.

5 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Do you think Sticks will really appear later?

I really hope so.

Seeing her interact with Knuckles and Amy proper, as well as other characters like Cream is one of the remaining draws I'm lookin forward to.

• Thumbs Up 1

I also hope so, because I think she would suit well the universe, and could be a fun addition to the comic-book. And I'm for reuse of character of other canons if they introduce them well.

( What would be funny would be if she lived in a remote location and didn't even knew about Eggman conquering the world, while still having her paranoia xD )

• Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

I also hope so, because I think she would suit well the universe, and could be a fun addition to the comic-book. And I'm for reuse of character of other canons if they introduce them well.

( What would be funny would be if she lived in a remote location and didn't even knew about Eggman conquering the world, while still having her paranoia xD )

I guess that would, especially given the implication that he's part of the reason she's like that in the first place.

Really hope not personally. Not fond of her character at all, Flynn written or not. The roots of the character just don't appeal to me personally.

I think Sticks will appear, as Flynn basically already confirmed it. He said he couldn't say when because it would be "spoilerific." I'm certainly looking forward to her debut and I hope it's soon. 

14 minutes ago, Flame Lance said:

I think Sticks will appear, as Flynn basically already confirmed it. He said he couldn't say when because it would be "spoilerific." I'm certainly looking forward to her debut and I hope it's soon. 

Was this on Bumblekast?

Cause otherwise, the only other statement I know of also included Mighty and Ray.

• Fist Bump 1

As much as I don't like Boom, I won't mind too much if we see Sticks. I'd be kinda curious about how they'd handle a main universe version of her since I imagine she'll be at least a little bit different. But it'll feel like a huge bummer if the only character from a Sonic cartoon that got to be in the comics is one from like 2014 and from the show I like the least (that isn't Underground).

It'll be funny if Flynn was actually hinting at like Boom-set backup stories or something though. I think they wanted to do something like that before the last book got cancelled so it'd kinda make sense. Problem is that Boom is...well, it was already on it's last legs then, and now it's dead, so.

• Thumbs Up 2

16 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Was this on Bumblekast?

Cause otherwise, the only other statement I know of also included Mighty and Ray.

Yeah. I didn't listen to it, so I am going by word of mouth. 

Anyone think we will see the Rogues in year one? Big? Marine? Maybe Tikal or Chaos? 

1 minute ago, Flame Lance said:

Anyone think we will see the Rogues in year one? Big? Marine? Maybe Tikal or Chaos?  

IIRC, Flynn said that year one wasn't the first year of comic-book, but the first 12 volumes. Meaning that everything that's still in year one would be Battle for Angel Island. So I'm not really sure.

6 minutes ago, Flame Lance said:

Babylon Rogues are definitely not showing up any time this year. Marine is also unlikely.

Big, Chaos, and Tikal though? Wait and see.

2 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

Really hope not personally. Not fond of her character at all, Flynn written or not. The roots of the character just don't appeal to me personally.

Plus is a terrible, one note character in a controversial at best TV show and an atrocious and abandoned reboot/subseries that Sega was trying to bury before the first game even came out.

Seems a bit incongruous for her to show up after the justifications Sega was given by others for the Archie fallout.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

If Sticks does appear, than hopefully her character gets a major makeover.

How do make over personality? Not appearance...

1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

How do make over personality? Not appearance...

Add reasons for her paranoia. Perhaps she hates GUN

Justifying her already existing personality...

Your not suppose to justify paranoia...I'd give ya such a lecture with only one sentence.

7 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Justifying her already existing personality...

Your not suppose to justify paranoia...I'd give ya such a lecture with only one sentence.

At least reveal how she became so paranoid. I mean if she grew up most of her life in the wild, how did she learn about the government and become so distrusting in them...