Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

Was Sonic Genesis the arc after Sally got shot and the universe was reset to be like the Classic games?

Yeah, it was that weird interlude where everything went Classic and the characters were just going through classic levels and... that was it. 

Just a lot of walking and talking about stuff. Translating going through levels in the comics has never been the strongest material and I was struggling so hard trying to figure out what the point was or why it existed. 

I've read through Megadrive. Now that was good. Ian says he likes Megadrive as well. A lot of people do. If it had been more like that, I'd have gotten more out of it probably. Genesis was a slog. Going through some very arbitrary and samey motions. It felt more like a template for a story to me.

10 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I was struggling so hard trying to figure out what the point was or why it existed

It made plenty of sense in context.

Eggman reset the world to a different, more vulnerable state that was easier to conquer. That state just so happened to bare a striking resemblance to the classic games.

I will admit it was not perfect (the amount of game stuff they had to leave out, and the Freedom Fighters just being sort of there), but I still loved it.

1 hour ago, Ernest-Panda said:

It made plenty of sense in context.

Eggman reset the world to a different, more vulnerable state that was easier to conquer. That state just so happened to bare a striking resemblance to the classic games.

It felt like an excuse to just plod around in Classic Sonic times. I wasn't entertained by it and whether or not he found a way to have it "make sense" within the story's context doesn't really mean much.

Plus, that's kind of a dumb plan when you think about it. Resetting it to a more vulnerable state that's supposedly "easier" to conquer doesn't mean much when he still couldn't conquer it back when it was in that state. Maybe if the current Eggman had gone back to the past to do so, sure, but it was Classic Eggman they were facing. Not only that but he even states in it that he doesn't even really remember everything about the former reality.

I was honestly confused by why this was his big master plan. When they got out of it in the next issue and he had that droopy mustache with his champagne glass in hand, it was funny, but it was also giving me a sense of... "What was the plan again?" 

It failed rather fast and the issue before it began had such a promising, dramatic note. I understand that the only reason it existed was to promote Sonic's 20th Anniversary and Ian was definitely working to fit it in for that. The next issue even had a Sonic Generations side-story in it but... it really did feel like a needless detour. I'm certain there was a better way to write it, if it truly was necessary. Perhaps maybe it would have sold itself to me better had it been shorter and felt less like a promotion that was interrupting the plot rather than strengthening it.

Agree to disagree I guess.

Anyway, something I forgot to bring up was the first graphic novel release, which I picked up a couple of days ago.

Ehhh...I knew before going in how IDW usually did their softcover graphic novel releases, but damn, after being so used to how Archie did their graphic novels, this is just so...bland in comparison.

It’s just the four stories and a cover gallery. That’s it. Nothing more to see.

Still, it does its job (actually collecting the stories in a single book), so it’d be unfair for me to write it off completely. I’ll just have to get used to the fact these releases are more for the casuals rather than the collectors.

...would it kill them to make the spine a bit more interesting though? It looks so boring on my shelf next to my Archie books :P

Not one to add more fuel to the dying fire between you two about the Genesis arc, but I will say that Sonic X did it to a better degree back in 2006, seeing as it was Eggman pulling a Sword Art Online and trapping Sonic and Co in a virtual recreation of the first game, with his "grandfather" antagonizing them.  Only Chris and Chuck are able to help them out finding them and the Master Emerald in Eggman's beachside base with the comic noting that the storyline continues into the Eggmoon episodes of the anime.

I'm not joking about that grandfather bit. Decoe makes an offhand comment about the Green Hill Boss being Eggman's grandfather, to which Eggman retorts with an equally snarky comment saying that it's just a sprite made to look like his grandfather.

Sure whatever you say, Eggman...

46 minutes ago, Tailikku said:

I'm not joking about that grandfather bit. Decoe makes an offhand comment about the Green Hill Boss being Eggman's grandfather, to which Eggman retorts with an equally snarky comment saying that it's just a sprite made to look like his grandfather.

Classic Eggman is Gerald Robotnik and Sonic is over 50 years old confirmed

4 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I just saw the interview and I'm glad the stories he's done that he doesn't like mirror some of my own.

House of Cards, obviously, but he reiterated an unfortunate situation of editor meddling where he had this idea of a storyline that was supposed to go on for a whole year but the editor said "Nope. No political drama. Wrap it up in two issues and lets jump to Enerjak Reborn". So he was like... I gotta find a way to wrap this break-up and reconciliation between Sonic and Tails in two issues... I guess having it be over something as petty as "You went out with my pretend girlfriend" would wrap up quickly enough.

Sonic Genesis being one he doesn't like surprises a lot of people and he says he wasn't jazzed with the premise or what he did for it. It's just kind of there for him and he feels bad because he gets people at cons saying it's their favorite. But I agree with ian. Sonic Genesis was a waste of time. 

And, of course, he doesn't like World's Unite. He LOVES World's Collide (I do as well), but he owns up to World's Unite. That didn't turn out well.

Genesis I find to be one of the least offensive out of those three and more.

It had its problems, but I can’t  really find too much out of it to find it a noteworthy point of critique—that few of us bring it up very often really make that point.

Not surprised with Worlds Unite—I think almost everyone aware of the things behind the scenes could tell he hated it or didn’t care for it the moment he killed off Team Dark and how dull the plot writing was before the Sega and Capcom franchises joined in. It kinda spread to the readers.

Same with House of Cards. We all (still) give that one flak, but we still know why.

1 hour ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Genesis I find to be one of the least offensive out of those three and more.

It had its problems, but I can’t  really find too much out of it to find it a noteworthy point of critique—that few of us bring it up very often really make that point.

Not surprised with Worlds Unite—I think almost everyone aware of the things behind the scenes could tell he hated it or didn’t care for it the moment he killed off Team Dark and how dull the plot writing was before the Sega and Capcom franchises joined in. It kinda spread to the readers.

Same with House of Cards. We all (still) give that one flak, but we still know why.

I've brought it up often enough myself. It doesn't really matter how often it's brought up though. What's noteworthy of critique differs from individual to individual and that question was about his own personal feelings regarding which stories he liked the least. Everyone's their own worst critic after all. Sometimes the ones we don't like are going to be things everyone else does.

There have been things that I've drawn and written that people tell me they like but I absolutely don't. As well as things that no one remembers that I do and hate that I did.

I actually keep forgetting that Team Dark was "killed off" in World's Unite. It's such a foot note within the story. Everything feels like it was. I don't even remember how Sigma lost. I remember it being quick and weirdly anti-climatic at the very least.

8 hours ago, StaticMania said:

That actually doesn't seem like "just sayin'"...very unfortunate.

Truly...Shadow has brought nothing but Shade to this Silver Age franchise.

What kinda thorough deepcut you showin off there?

6 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

I disagree immensely with the notion that Sonic Genesis was a “waste of time”.

I’d never felt so much suspense reading a Sonic comic arc up to that point.

6 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

Was Sonic Genesis the arc after Sally got shot and the universe was reset to be like the Classic games?

Yeah, I was getting ready to say, that's why.

5 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

It felt like an excuse to just plod around in Classic Sonic times. I wasn't entertained by it and whether or not he found a way to have it "make sense" within the story's context doesn't really mean much.

It failed rather fast and the issue before it began had such a promising, dramatic note. I understand that the only reason it existed was to promote Sonic's 20th Anniversary and Ian was definitely working to fit it in for that. The next issue even had a Sonic Generations side-story in it but... it really did feel like a needless detour. I'm certain there was a better way to write it, if it truly was necessary. Perhaps maybe it would have sold itself to me better had it been shorter and felt less like a promotion that was interrupting the plot rather than strengthening it.

I think I do recall him saying once that it was more or less requested by SEGA and that Sally seemingly getting shot in 225 may have been added as a hook.

3 hours ago, Tailikku said:

Not one to add more fuel to the dying fire between you two about the Genesis arc, but I will say that Sonic X did it to a better degree back in 2006, seeing as it was Eggman pulling a Sword Art Online and trapping Sonic and Co in a virtual recreation of the first game, with his "grandfather" antagonizing them.  Only Chris and Chuck are able to help them out finding them and the Master Emerald in Eggman's beachside base with the comic noting that the storyline continues into the Eggmoon episodes of the anime.

Sure whatever you say, Eggman...

What the fuck...?

Speaking of shadow related word play Ian said a thing in the interview I want to address. 

Something like " Surprise people with shadow stories I want to do later down the line " 

Did he mean shadow as in secret, or like shadow as in shadow

Changing the topic, what do you want to see or expect from Battle for Angel Island?

I'm so hyped for this arc, the covers look amazing, they have so much personality, I'm also impressed that the whole cast is there, with a focus on Sonic and Knuckles, plus cool things like Extreme Gears and Burning Blaze. I definitely want to see the Master Emerald and Angel Island to be relevant, maybe with some lore and mythology that already exists. I kind of want Neo Metal Sonic to turn gold like Mecha in S3&K, it would be something new and pretty cool.

And about year 2's storyline, what would you like to see from it? I have clear ideas:

- A connected storyline with Year 1, maybe through a cliffhanger in issue 12.

- More Eggman, the return of his villanous side, because I quite miss it right now.

- More Tails, it feels he is really absent this year.

- The debut of Sticks as a recurring character for Year 2, her interaction with Amy as friends, and with Tails since they have opposite personalities.

- Another Sonic villain taking the spotlight, either Chaos, or the Deadly Six (mainly Zavok), or Infinite, or somebody else, I guess.

- More new characters debuting. Plus explore new storylines with Tangle and especially Whisper.

All of these would be really great, for me. Personnaly, what I would like for Y2 (or following years) is :

- At least a storyline in the Human World, with returning location from the Adventure. Bonus point if it's a storyline that use the two world setting in an interesting way, but just having some Adventure or Unleashed location would make me happy. If we see the portal and that it's a really cool and impressive thing (like something huge, or with a "ancient technology" look), it would be nice, too.

- More worldbuilding and lore. Not a "world tour arc" like in the past, but just naming some location adding some stuff that happened in the past, some things to make the world more alive.

- Another comic-book, to have more space to develop story and add side-story. For me a Sonic Universe-like with side stories is what is really missing for IDWSonic, because it would be space to play with the other characters.

And I wouldn't be unhappy if characters for other continuity showed, as I love use of legacy Sonic content.

8 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Speaking of shadow related word play Ian said a thing in the interview I want to address. 

Something like " Surprise people with shadow stories I want to do later down the line " 

Did he mean shadow as in secret, or like shadow as in shadow

Hopefully the latter, as that'd be rather careless of him to word it like that in this series.

11 hours ago, StaticMania said:

I was just really enjoying some wordplay with character names.

Ah.

5 hours ago, Silent Jack said:

Changing the topic, what do you want to see or expect from Battle for Angel Island?

I'm so hyped for this arc, the covers look amazing, they have so much personality, I'm also impressed that the whole cast is there, with a focus on Sonic and Knuckles, plus cool things like Extreme Gears and Burning Blaze. I definitely want to see the Master Emerald and Angel Island to be relevant, maybe with some lore and mythology that already exists. I kind of want Neo Metal Sonic to turn gold like Mecha in S3&K, it would be something new and pretty cool.

Some detail/lipservice to how long it's been since Knuckles left with Silver for his "apparently fated role" and what he might have done in regards to his home since then, whether actively or thoughtfully.

For Cream, Gemerl, and Omega to get a decent share on the action, in that order.

And honestly, I kinda don't want Neo to just turn gold/bronze if they can help it.

Anything else is a wait and see right now.

5 hours ago, Silent Jack said:

And about year 2's storyline, what would you like to see from it? I have clear ideas:

- A connected storyline with Year 1, maybe through a cliffhanger in issue 12.

- The debut of Sticks as a recurring character for Year 2, her interaction with Amy as friends, and with Tails since they have opposite personalities.

- Another Sonic villain taking the spotlight, either Chaos, or the Deadly Six (mainly Zavok), or Infinite, or somebody else, I guess.

- More new characters debuting. Plus explore new storylines with Whisper.

Not sure what the plan for this year 2(whether literal or in theory) is, but I suppose it's safe to generally want these things and more.

- Proper worldbuilding

- The hinted eventual significant return of Rough n Tumble

- Another original villain

- Lower key stories

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

Didn't Ian say that Year 2 wouldn't introduce new characters? 

I'd believe that if its true. There's a lot of characters in a single book, this is in combination with, there are things both IDW and Sonic team will want pushed, that he's privy to that we aren't. I figure its gonna be hard to introduce a lot of new folks in the middle of this

20 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Shadow smiling? Interesting, if otherwise kinda undersaturated/basic cover.

Maybe the uh

Alt covers might be a bit more interesting depending on the date , if you uh know what i'm sayin