Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Do you guys think we'll get the first previews / covers by the time of NYCC as well? Because if they are planning on launching the comic early 2018 it will be around the time for solicitations won't it?

• Thumbs Up 3

8 hours ago, Korke said:

Not quite. How about the badniks? They are not portrayed as gritty and dark as the roboticization but works in a similar way.

The similarity begins and ends with "animal turned into robot". Which, even that is a stretch to apply to the games. In the games, small animals get put inside mass-produced robots, and all you have to do to free them is bust the robot to let them out. Roboticization involves literally turning the victim's flesh and blood into metal and wires, and saving them requires a de-roboticization machine to reverse it, and there's a bunch of concerns like if maintenance of the robot parts would interfere with them turning back to flesh and blood. Mechanically and narratively they're almost completely different.

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm not even a big fan of most anime, and even I can say you guys are grossly misrepresenting how Sonic in the modern age would take an anime slant as opposed to it being a salty anime fan who can't take it being disliked or whatever. 

There's a simple way of seeing how badly SatAM fits with the game stuff; how different would the episode Ultra Sonic be if Sonic just had to bop the shell to rescue Uncle Chuck? That would literally be a non-issue if roboticisation worked anything like badniks. 

And while we're on the topic of the philosophies of Sonic via regional influences, I've got more to say about that. Most of Sonic's copycat games in the 90's (Bubsy Bobcat, Aero the Acrobat, Awesome Possum, whatever else there was) were all heavily Americanised in terms of how they handled their presentation, and they all flopped hard. On the flip side, Crash Bandicoot (the Sonic's Ass game) borrowed more than just code names from Sonic, as the presentation was more universal despite it also being by American developers. They even tweaked some character designs for Japan further to give it more of an edge for that market, it was that easy to change the base and not affect the overall feel. The result was that the Crash trilogy (the original PS1 iterations) did better than the Sonic trilogy, and it's this universal appeal that IDW will want in the comic more than tying it to something region specific that may not appeal to other regions. 

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Promotion 2

7 minutes ago, NikoS said:

Do you guys think we'll get the first previews / covers by the time of NYCC as well? Because if they are planning on launching the comic early 2018 it will be around the time for solicitations won't it?

It would make sense to advertise it.

1 hour ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

It always amazes me how salty some people get online just because they find out theres people that don't worship anime like they do.

And yes we know certain chars like Hello Kitty & Mickey Mouse are popular in Japan, and kids shows use animal chars, but the overall point was they aren't quite as big there as say the US/UK/Europe.

Anywho back to the topic of the comic I hope we get a Writer/Artist announced soon.

I'm not salty because people don't worship anime. I'm salty because I'm way burned out of the bizarre fetishising, infantilisation, honest-to-god-racist-but-protected-under-the-current-cultural-elite treatment of Japan that treats a dumb skewered perspective learned from the few anime that get exported Westwards as "this is Japan", giving you nonsense like "if those damn japs got Sonic again there'd be tits everywhere!" ignoring societal context for sexyness in Japan and Ameirca (protip: America's puritan to the point of idiocy) and also the fact all those titty anime you see aren't mainstream and aren't representative of everyday Japanese culture.

• Thumbs Up 6

4 minutes ago, The KKM said:

I'm not salty because people don't worship anime. I'm salty because I'm way burned out of the bizarre fetishising, infantilisation, honest-to-god-racist-but-protected-under-the-current-cultural-elite treatment of Japan that treats a dumb skewered perspective learned from the few anime that get exported Westwards as "this is Japan", giving you nonsense like "if those damn japs got Sonic again there'd be tits everywhere!" ignoring societal context for sexyness in Japan and Ameirca (protip: America's puritan to the point of idiocy) and also the fact all those titty anime you see aren't mainstream and aren't representative of everyday Japanese culture.

...Holy shit man it was just a joke calm down. I'm pretty sure everyone knows not all Anime is like that.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, The KKM said:

Sorry, I know very well not every anime is like those few, I just got a bit too "excited". :blushing: Prolly since the talking went to the tropes as if they were all good and something needed. I suppose I went a bit too "antibody" on this.

Oh geez I feel I webbered pretty bad. :(

• Thumbs Up 1

One of the reasons why I want sonic to retain its Japanese influences and in many embrace them more often, because I find at least for a period sonic games to be cheesey and anime-ey that a lot of platformers even back in the early 00's weren't. Forces kind of upsets me, because while taking itself a smidge more serious... it seems to not understand why anyone likes...anything. So my hopes aren't high for that to turn out well, and the price reductions already popping up in retailers aren't helping my suspicions. 

That said, the comic can incorporate the anime-cheese in such ways that aren't bad I hope it retains its air of adventure, with out going too far in the too serious or too nothing direction.

1 hour ago, The KKM said:

You wanna talk about racism lets talk about all the actual racism going on in America right now against men & women of color, hispanics, middle easterners, etc.  Not your manurfactured "racism" against an extremly sexist genre of animation and comics that constantly objectifies females and ovsrsexualizes underage girls to the point its flat out creepy & pedophilic. And i'm sorry no cultural differences don't justify those things!

And the "not all anime" like the "not all men" argument doesn't work because no one is saying all anime, but enough where its a notable problem.  Heck even some of the ones supppsedly aimed at girls/women can be sexist/rapey at times.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, horridus said:

Ideally? Something new and interesting. 

What do you have in mind? I remember reading a post about potential ideas

On 7/29/2017 at 11:32 AM, Chameleon94 said:

My ideas for the new book, it would have 4 issue arcs interconnected, with Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy and Eggman mostly as regulars, it would focus on game characters so there would not be need for a Universe comic, it would actually be a cross between Sonic and SU:

Arc 1 - Introduction with the main 4, works like a game, like with Mega Drive, Sonic and friends must save animals from Eggman who industrialized everything, Metal Sonic is a side villain.

Arc 2 - Team Hero + Amy vs Team Dark in a race against time through the world.

Arc 3 - The return of Chaos, plus a team of gizoids who want to reclaim Angel Island, with an original plot. Also features appearances by Big, Tikal and Gemerl.

Arc 4 - A inique story featuring a mobian queen who is wicked. Also involves the Chaotix

Arc 5 - Sonic is captured by Eggman, his friends (Tails, Knux, Amy, Shadow, Rouge, Cream, Silver, Blaze and the Chaotix) must rescue him.

Arc 6 - While Sonic was captured, Eggman conquered the world, the heroes must face the Egg guardians. The Freedom Fighters also help

During the first 6 arcs the heroes collect the chaos emeralds, which are used in the final battle to reclaim the world.

Arc 7 - Sonic vs Knuckles rivalry, the Hooligans take advantage of the situation. Mighty and Ray also appear.

Arc 8 - Journey to the special zone against Nack, Blaze helps.

Arc 9 - Features an extreme gear Grand Prix, with eliminations and lots of racers, and oviously the Babylon Rogues.

Arc 10 - Special arc: Sticks comes from the Boom dimension to warn the team of a new threat. Also features the brand new team up of Silver and Sticks.

Arc 11 - Tails finds a village with foxes who become his family, and only he can save them.

Arc 12 - Amy, Cream and Blaze in the Sol Dimension against the mobian sirens, who are allies with Rouge.

Arc 13 - Vector, Espio, Charmy & Knuckles investigate over the murder of a good robot.

Arc 14 - the brand new duo Shadow and Amy works undercover in Westopolis for a mission.

Arc 15 - Sonic and friends must help Eggman destroy a virus in the Digital realm.

Arc 16 - Adventure in space, some wisps have gone rogue and the team must help Mother Wisp re establish peace on Planet Wisp.

I would also like 5 pages of back up story with Sonic Boom, or if possible a Boom comic or mini series. What do you guys think?

These are good ideas

Just now, The KKM said:

I don't think that's accurate at all, although we should move this to another thread.

So, let's pick up the pace with the thread. What's your suggestion to the comics at all? Which japanese main points should be added in order to attract them? (well, that's how we got inside here)

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Korke said:

I don't think that's accurate at all, although we should move this to another thread.

So, let's pick up the pace with the thread. What's your suggestion to the comics at all? Which japanese main points should be added in order to attract them? (well, that's how we got inside here)

Maybe they could deconstruct on some popular anime genre?

58 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

You wanna talk about racism lets talk about all the actual racism going on in America right now against men & women of color, hispanics, middle easterners, etc.  Not your manurfactured "racism" against an extremly sexist genre of animation and comics that constantly objectifies females and ovsrsexualizes underage girls to the point its flat out creepy & pedophilic. And i'm sorry no cultural differences don't justify those things!

And the "not all anime" like the "not all men" argument doesn't work because no one is saying all anime, but enough where its a notable problem.  Heck even some of the ones supppsedly aimed at girls/women can be sexist/rapey at times.

Today I learned: You can't be racist against the Japanese. I thought "You can't be racist against white people" was dumb enough, guess Asians are white now too.

2 minutes ago, Korke said:

Nothing in specific. Trying too hard to go Japanese is going to be dumb since then it's "Americans pretending to be Japanese pretending to be Americans". Just try to keep it truthful to the games, their tone, their messages. That'll suffice.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

What do you have in mind? I remember reading a post about potential ideas

Nothing specific in mind, sadly, just sort of a general feeling. See new Zones, new Badniks, new concepts or expanding upon and exploring older concepts in a new way, that sort of thing. 

• Thumbs Up 3

21 minutes ago, The KKM said:

Today I learned: You can't be racist against the Japanese. I thought "You can't be racist against white people" was dumb enough, guess Asians are white now too.

Hey Again How about we not start this specific line of discussion since it won't go anywhere good.

• Thumbs Up 1

That'd be easier if people didn't keep trying to get the last word in by insulting the genre. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Look we should be discussing this somewhere; preferably through PM. Back on topic, I hope that they can do something like @Chameleon94 suggested and do a sort of backstory arc and maybe a Sonic gets capture story line so that his friends can have moments in the limelight.

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

That'd be easier if people didn't keep trying to get the last word in by insulting the genre. 

Especially when I'm not even trying to defend the "genre" in the first place (since I don't even recognise it as a genre, that's idiotic, something like Panty and Stocking is not the same as Lain is not the same as Astro Boy is not the same as Kaiba), I'm complaining about the generalisation of Japan and its people itself, to only get "you sexist weeb" in response.

14 hours ago, Korke said:

Why base the new comics in StC? Sure, it did had some popularity in the UK but in the rest, it was mostly ignored.

You know, Archie was mostly ignored in Europe as well until the early 2000 at best, because of the Internet. For example, I only heard about them once in a videogame magazine in like 1994 and then nothing, until I saw scans on Sonic HQ in 2000. However, there have been issues of StC translated in French and German, and maybe some other languages.

Not to mention it did had some bizarre elements like Sonic doing Marvel's Kitty Pride skill going through solid things because "he was moving his molecules in ultra speed".

Archie Sonic did that too.

Not to mention that, if people thought Pre-reboot Archie Sonic was a cunt, they should meet StC Sonic.

StC Sonic is arrogant and cocky, but he gets better really fast, and even then he is still caring about people and his friends ;)

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, The KKM said:

Nothing in specific. Trying too hard to go Japanese is going to be dumb since then it's "Americans pretending to be Japanese pretending to be Americans". Just try to keep it truthful to the games, their tone, their messages. That'll suffice.

Well, actually, this is one of the reasons why I wouldn't be too keen to experience a pseudo-manga when it comes to Sonic.It's nothing personal, it just feels off if it's done too similarly. -_-

Actually, it would be funny to see how cosmopolite comic Sonic could become, like taking influence from not only one but from many different comic styles.

I suppose that if we compare Sonic with the manga/anime, shonen would maybe be one of the closest genres, or am I wrong again?

And that leaves tons of options still to be experienced. The only manga/anime stuff I know is commercial-based (like Digimon, while I really enjoy it it is based on the idea of "Tamagochi's for boys" after all...) or something that cannot be compared with Sonic since the tone differences (OP, again I love it even when it's pretty perverted (farting skeleton, anyone) from time to time... it's still funny and interesting too).

The only real connection for me is "the feeling of adventure". And that's actually something I think modern Sonic in games lacks a tiny bit; of course they go to different places and do have adventures, but Sonic pretty much tells us it's his everyday life. That kind of destroys the feeling of adventure for me.

If someone like Taichi or Luffy suddenly said something boring like that I'd feel pretty odd. That'd feel too out of character for me.

Maybe that's actually one thing that Sonic could take from anime/manga, but then again I suppose there's many "western" and other "other than manga" comics around here, so this is by no means an exclusive trait for manga/anime whatsoever I suppose.

And again it'd be interesting to see that BD tryout too...

1 hour ago, Adamis said:

Archie Sonic did that too.

I really can't remember an issue where he did that. Although there was something from StC that did happen in Archie too, in the dark ages - the evil Super Sonic thing on the arc "Tossed in Space" IIRC

4 minutes ago, Adamis said:

You know, Archie was mostly ignored in Europe as well until the early 2000 at best, because of the Internet. For example, I only heard about them once in a videogame magazine in like 1994 and then nothing, until I saw scans on Sonic HQ in 2000. However, there have been issues of StC translated in French and German, and maybe some other languages.

Uhm, may I point out they tried the Archie Sonic in here (and in some other countries around here too I suppose) as a translated version?

And localised, Rotor tried to imitate a woman singer in that bomb comic about Robotnik's bug killer...

Anyroad, the thing stopped since people didn't buy; prolly one of the reasons is the fact they introduced it to us in a time when the economical situation was bad howerver one looks at it. People got jobless, debted, depressed and suicidal after all... -_-

Archie Sonic was at least vibrating his particles to get out of that time-thing in Knothole when his appearance changed...