Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

16 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Not 100%, because Neo Metal Sonic outpowered him in the fight.

And all Sonic's friends are skilled fighter too in the book.

Given this is a consistant theme that Sonic has to lose an initial fight to hype the main villain/rival in order to grow stronger through the adventure to then defeat the bad guy/rival in the end, it still counts in a sense.

48 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

Thats kinda what he's doing in this book too.

So far the series has been showcasing him going to a location and fight badniks. He doesn’t pull random skills out of his ass and the other characters actually do something.

Amy did had ask him to come back to the resistance in #2 but at least they have been shown to be able to take care of themselves in action and they’re not in desperate need of Sonic like they were in Forces or Generations.

2 minutes ago, knuckles20 said:

So far the series has been showcasing him going to a location and fight badniks. He doesn’t pull random skills out of his ass and the other characters actually do something.

Amy did had ask him to come back to the resistance in #2 but at least they have been shown to be able to take care of themselves in action and they’re not in desperate need of Sonic like they were in Forces or Generations.

That is not how a gary stu is always defined though, Sonic has this "thing" about him  that makes him more powerful than Shadow and Silver combined, to the point it's really Sonic that has more superior skills that are useful compared to the former. Other characters do something but need Sonic reguardless to help re stabilize things for them. This is kinda demeaning to them as character. 

6 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

He's the protagonist...he's not a Marty Stu.

Being protagonist is kinda a marty stu role, in some exceptions.

6 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

Oh, so it's actually very "common" and thus you can drop it?

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

Given this is a consistant theme that Sonic has to lose an initial fight to hype the main villain/rival in order to grow stronger through the adventure to then defeat the bad guy/rival in the end, it still counts in a sense.

Dude. This describes every fight between a Hero and their Rival in every narrative ever.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Alexios31 said:

I'm a newbie with the comics so I'm wondering, is Jett ever in the comics?

He's not so far. Only the extreme gears will be in issue 9.

I'm a Riders fan, but I dunno how they can incorporate him in a story other than racing.

• Nice Smile 1

Just now, Marco9966 said:

He's not so far. Only the extreme gears will be in issue 9.

I'm a Riders fan, but I dunno how they can incorporate him in a story other than racing.

Thanks.

So what is the current comic about? I'm looking to jump in but I have no idea what is happening.

4 minutes ago, Alexios31 said:

Thanks.

So what is the current comic about? I'm looking to jump in but I have no idea what is happening.

The comic is great! It takes place after Sonic Forces. Eggman has disappeared, and the robots were deactivated. But the robots started attacking village again so Sonic and his friends want to find out who is organizing these attacks. 😉

Oh and don't worry if it takes place after Forces, the writer of the comics knows how to write good Sonic stories: Tails is not a coward, he can actually fight, and some Sonic Forces potholes were explained in the comics.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Marco9966 said:

The comic is great! It takes place after Sonic Forces. Eggman has disappeared, and the robots were deactivated. But the robots started attacking village again so Sonic and his friends want to find out who someone is organizing these attacks. 😉

Oh and don't worry, the writer of the comics knows how to write good Sonic stories: Tails is not a coward, he can actually fight, and there are lots of easter eggs that game fans can notice.

Sounds great!

Is Knuckles in it? Any links to some art or anywhere I can buy online?

Thanks again Marco!

To buy the comics you can buy them digital version (easiest version to get with download):

https://www.comixology.com/Sonic-The-Hedgehog-2018-1/digital-comic/635276?ref=c2VyaWVzL3ZpZXcvZGVza3RvcC9ncmlkTGlzdC9Jc3N1ZXM

If you want physical version you can go to amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1684053277

Yes Knuckles is in:

8ee94da542b4ce4f0ef38a7f9965976b._SX1280

And here is some art :D  (I omitted some intentionally to not give too much spoilers)

DUU8AZDVQAE-Ir3.jpgtumblr_p6tcyj0UGb1x0dt7zo1_500.jpgSonic-Bcover-02-895x375.jpg046f9bbe34e69ab21196270fc39f002b.jpgtumblr_p71nkexHWp1rpgqi0o1_500.pnglatest?cb=20180424160317

12 minutes ago, Alexios31 said:

Thanks again Marco!

Welcome!

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Alexios31 said:

The story so far: Sonic team-ups with [insert name of one of his friends] to smash Badniks. Next issue, move to a new location, meet another friend (sometimes few), a new wave of Badniks. Repeat until boss fight (issue 7 and probably 11-12).

Plots are very simple, there is bigger narrative but somewhat thin. You're here for pretty art, dialogue, and interactions. So far only the most important characters appeared (Knuckles, Silver, Chaotix, etc). If you expect Jet, Zavok or Infinite, don't hold your breath.

New original characters exist (Tangle, Whispers, Rough & Tumble), but they don't play a bigger role than an extra ally to smash Badniks or extra minor enemy to replace Badniks. Knowing Flynn, he 'seeds' them for later stories. 

We only 8 issues in, so I suggest you start from the start. But if you're adamant to jump in the middle then here are REAL spoilers.

Spoiler

Eggman has amnesia and works in a small village as a nice handyman.

Metal Sonic leads his army in his absence, loyally looking for his master. Also, he took over Angel Island and has Master Emerald.

• Thumbs Up 3

WOW!!!

The art is incredible!! Everything looks fantastic!

I know right! It's so good because many of the artists are Sonic fans themselves and drew Sonic all their life before drawing professionally.

Here is Silver drawn by Evan Stanley:

IDW8-3.jpg

Like MetalSkullbane said it's best to start now because we are only 8 issues in.

And issue 9 is gonna introduce so many more characters! (Even Gemerl and Cream)

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

The story so far: Sonic team-ups with [insert name of one of his friends] to smash Badniks. Next issue, move to a new location, meet another friend (sometimes few), a new wave of Badniks. Repeat until boss fight (issue 7 and probably 11-12).

Plots are very simple, there is bigger narrative but somewhat thin. You're here for pretty art, dialogue, and interactions. So far only the most important characters appeared (Knuckles, Silver, Chaotix, etc). If you expect Jet, Zavok or Infinite, don't hold your breath.

New original characters exist (Tangle, Whispers, Rough & Tumble), but they don't play a bigger role than an extra ally to smash Badniks or extra minor enemy to replace Badniks. Knowing Flynn, he 'seeds' them for later stories. 

We only 8 issues in, so I suggest you start from the start. But if you're adamant to jump in the middle then here are REAL spoilers.

Hide contents

Eggman has amnesia and works in a small village as a nice handyman.

Metal Sonic leads his army in his absence, loyally looking for his master. Also, he took over Angel Island and has Master Emerald.

Thank you so very much. You guys are beyond nice.

Could you please tell me about the new characters? Any green characters? Haha my favourite colour is green.

4 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

I know right! It's so good because many of the artists are Sonic fans themselves and drew Sonic all their life before drawing professionally.

Here is Silver drawn by Evan Stanley:

IDW8-3.jpg

Like MetalSkullbane said it's best to start now because we are only 8 issues in.

And issue 9 is gonna introduce so many more characters! (Even Gemerl and Cream)

Amazing!

Who is Gemerl and Cream?

6 minutes ago, Alexios31 said:

Could you please tell me about the new characters? Any green characters? Haha my favourite colour is green.

Vector the Crocodile shows up with the Chaotix in #5-6

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Alexios31 said:

For the new characters we have two new heroes and two new villains:

latest?cb=20180124151739

Tangle the lemur is lemur citizen, she's active and social kinda like Sonic. She can use her tail to attack ennemies

latest?cb=20180721082511

Whisper the wolf is a mysterious hero who helped during the war against Eggman. She is friends with the wisps. Her wispon is special too because it can hold many wisps meaning many powers

latest?cb=20180217024329latest?cb=20180216181538

Now here are the 2 villains Rough and Tumble, they are skunk brothers who took over a village and mistreat its inhabitants.

This is cover of issue 9 which comes out in a week. Cream is the rabbit near Amy, and Gemerl is the black robot next to her.

https://sonicsourceblog.files.wordpress.com/2018/07/9ri.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Marco9966 said:

For the new characters we have two new heroes and two new villains:

latest?cb=20180124151739

Tangle the lemur is lemur citizen, she's active and social kinda like Sonic. She can use her tail to attack ennemies

latest?cb=20180721082511

Whisper the wolf is a mysterious hero who helped during the war against Eggman. She is friends with the wisps. Her wispon is special too because it can hold many wisps meaning many powers

latest?cb=20180217024329latest?cb=20180216181538

Now here are the 2 villains Rough and Tumble, they are skunk brothers who took over a village and mistreat its inhabitants.

They all look great.

Who is this cream character? He/she sounds intriguing.

3 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

Which is basically why this concept is often pretty meaningless outside of the fanfiction realm.

Thank you both. So 3 new heroes are all female? I was kind of hoping for a new male hero.

I think they added more female heroes because there are already many male heroes (Sonic-Knuckles-Tails-Shadow-Silver-Chaotix-Omega...) and not many female heroes (Amy-Cream--Blaze-Rouge)

• Thumbs Up 2