Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

On 9/7/2018 at 3:47 PM, Scape said:

I think it's the strongest it's ever been in any incarnation. But one thing I don't like is how she's still using her militaristic tone when speaking privately to characters like Sonic. Like, come on. He knows she wasn't always like this.

But at least this writer knows how to let the most relevant female Sonic character be feminine

Fleetway Amy's still feminine, she just doesn't swoon over Sonic and act silly and lovey-dovey. Most women don't act like that, period, unless they're pre-teens which STC Amy wasn't.. so.

2 hours ago, Unknown User said:

Fleetway Amy's still feminine, she just doesn't swoon over Sonic and act silly and lovey-dovey. Most women don't act like that, period, unless they're pre-teens which STC Amy wasn't.. so.

Most women aren't pink hedgehogs. But I guess this series can't let a character be openly affectionate towards Sonic without turning them into a loser like Tails

15 hours ago, Scape said:

Most women aren't pink hedgehogs. But I guess this series can't let a character be openly affectionate towards Sonic without turning them into a loser like Tails

You kind of can't. 

It has been proven time and again that the characters work better when they aren't worshiping sonic. Amy's best character moments in the previous comic were when sonic wasn't around and she was interacting with others. Tail's time where he had character was when he was trying to get out of sonic's shadow. Shadow works for many people because he's some weird asshole that doesn't conform to normal friend dynamics and just does shit by himself. 

When you treat sonic ( or any character really ) like some god king, it makes the character and the person worshiping said character look bad. And on occasion makes the person writing the story look like they are trying to self insert and self indulge.  When they treat each other like people its a much more interesting dynamic.

• Thumbs Up 6

4 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Finally the party can start!

By the way, I know I'm super late for this but I heard about @Roger_van_der_weide and his dissection of this initial run of the comics, I noticed too that "everyone is a fighter" and it seems a bit dull I agree, but it's more related to the plot, or more specifically, the lack of plot, but I'll forgive them because it's still the first issues. Introductions were good though, as well as interactions, I'm also gonna argue that "everyone is a fighter" is way better than "everyone bar Sonic is useless" like in the games, as a counter argument.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

On 9/13/2018 at 1:20 AM, Edward850 said:

He was used in the tail-end of the Archie comics as well, as sort of a body-guard/butler of Vanilla and Cream (continuing from the Advance 3 game). I'd imagine Ian Flynn will continue to use him the same way here.

Thanks man , He looks cool and I hope we get to see him regularly. I never read the Archie series but after getting into the IDW Sonic and hearing all the love people had for the comic I really kinda wish i had done.

2 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Is the lightning supposed to indicate that that statue wasn't always there?.

2 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

Hide contents

Kind of confused by the absences of Omega, Cream, and Gmerl.

Yeah, I noticed that.

Spoiler

Hopefully, it means they'll get good entrances of their own.

20 hours ago, Scape said:

Well, in any good work of fiction; fantasy or not, character motivations, characterization, &c, has always been realistic for it to be well-written.

7 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

You kind of can't. 

It has been proven time and again that the characters work better when they aren't worshiping sonic. Amy's best character moments in the previous comic were when sonic wasn't around and she was interacting with others. Tail's time where he had character was when he was trying to get out of sonic's shadow. Shadow works for many people because he's some weird asshole that doesn't conform to normal friend dynamics and just does shit by himself. 

When you treat sonic ( or any character really ) like some god king, it makes the character and the person worshiping said character look bad. And on occasion makes the person writing the story look like they are trying to self insert and self indulge.  When they treat each other like people its a much more interesting dynamic.

Yeah pretty much Shadow is the only character not named Sonic allowed to be cool. It's pretty sad honestly.

Just now, Shadowlax said:

You kind of can't. 

Its better when Amy interacts with Sonic the most having her talk to others just for the sake of it will get boring very fast.

3 hours ago, Unknown User said:

Yeah pretty much Shadow is the only character not named Sonic allowed to be cool. It's pretty sad honestly.

Tangle would disagree with that. 

The artwork is impressive as always, i hope we get more exposition on the characters, even if briefly,

also, i've put together the double-page spread

Spoiler

sonic_9_pg_spread.png

We can see Sandopolis, Carnival Night and Mushroom Hill

• Thumbs Up 4

8 hours ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Its better when Amy interacts with Sonic the most having her talk to others just for the sake of it will get boring very fast.

Considering Amy barely interacts with anyone besides Sonic across the entire franchise, I'm inclined to disagree with this.

• Thumbs Up 3

17 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

You kind of can't. 

You could argue that she had more of an impact on several major characters than Sonic himself during that era. Exhibit A:

https://board.sonicstadium.org/profile/2255-seneddtor-missile/?status=931325&type=status

When you think about it, Amy in the pre-Unleashed era was honestly one of the more influential characters, even if her role wasn't always combat orientated. Sonic and the more combat oriented people might be the big faces of the band so to speak, but in many ways she was the one who often times noticed or helped out in the small but important ways that others overlooked.

Take Gamma for instance: A machine who blindly followed orders no matter what, proving himself to be the best of Eggman's robotic soldiers at the time, but harboring doubts when he saw Eggman's callousness towards his fellow machines who had failed.

She managed to influence Gamma to start doubting Eggman and was brave enough to stand against Sonic despite him wanted to destroy Gamma, thus allowing for Gamma to not only turn against Eggman despite his limited programming, but also drive him to destroy several of Eggman's strongest soldiers at the time and free his trapped Flicky family.

Shadow was a grief-stricken revenge minded person, driven only by distorted memories of his past and friend, and a desire to punish humanity for destroying his life.

She managed to get through Shadow's memory block in Sonic Adventure 2 where no one else was able to and convince him of the error of his actions and the true intentions of his dead friend, not only allowing for the world to be saved from Gerald's revenge beyond the grave, but also in the long term ensured a permanent new ally in the fight against evil.

Silver was a well-intended, but sadly gullible pawn who was so desperate for the salvation of his future, that he was mislead by evil into nearly ensuring a far worse future for everyone.  Yet deep down he harbored doubts of his mission, but did not see any reason to change since he believed it was what needed to be done, even if unpleasant.

She was able to plant the seeds of doubt in Silver's mind in the erased 06 continuity by defending Sonic from him despite the drastic power difference, and made him start questioning his actions working for Mephiles, thus ensuring that in the long term he would be able to help put an end to the threat of Solaris.

She's not the best fighter, and her bratty moments and obsession with Sonic does get in her way at times, but when the chips were down, she often times ended up being a more important catalyst for change for several of the most prominent characters in the franchise than any amount of the flashy kickassery of her larger than life friends, and did so primarily through her smaller actions of being an honest and kind soul.

• Thumbs Up 2

Or just saying congratulations to a fellow creative team? I mean, if nothing else, Western publishing rights for DB belong to Viz Media, so it's not like it'd be easy to do a crossover. 

22 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Or just saying congratulations to a fellow creative team? I mean, if nothing else, Western publishing rights for DB belong to Viz Media, so it's not like it'd be easy to do a crossover. 

Life finds a way.. life finds a way.

I think that maybe Cream, Omega, and Gemerl won't be appearing, and it's just everyone in these past issues.

4 hours ago, Razule said:

I think that maybe Cream, Omega, and Gemerl won't be appearing, and it's just everyone in these past issues.

I think the'll introduce them properly

6 hours ago, Razule said:

I believe Ian implied that he can't even USE Cream in the IDW series in Bumblekast 73. When a question was asked about if she will get a bigger role in IDW, Ian said that maybe, IF he gets the chance to use her. I could be wrong, but I think SEGA is going back to the times where Omega, Cream, and Gemerl aren't even ALLOWED to be used, and Issue 9 (like Issue 3) gave us a false sense of hope.

Dear god, SEGA's going backwards in terms of creative freedom. I'm getting real tired of their shit that they've been doing recently.

2 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I believe Ian implied that he can't even USE Cream in the IDW series in Bumblekast 73. When a question was asked about if she will get a bigger role in IDW, Ian said that maybe, IF he gets the chance to use her. I could be wrong, but I think SEGA is going back to the times where Omega, Cream, and Gemerl aren't even ALLOWED to be used, and Issue 9 (like Issue 3) gave us a false sense of hope.

Dear god, SEGA's going backwards in terms of creative freedom. I'm getting real tired of their shit that they've been doing recently.

What's wrong with issue 3?

Just now, Marco9966 said:

What's wrong with issue 3?

Remember when Sonic referenced the Hooligans? Now we know that they aren't even allowed to be used. False hope.

Just now, PublicEnemy1 said:

Remember when Sonic referenced the Hooligans? Now we know that they aren't even allowed to be used. False hope.

Ah true. But I think Omega and Cream and Gemerl will appear, they will be introduced properly in later pages. They can't make a flat-out false advertisement cover, the hooligans was just an easter egg, or written before Ian knew the classic mandate.

7 hours ago, Razule said:

That's kinda what I'm fearing, but honestly, the cover doesn't give me Archie Sonic 258 vibes and is way too accurate to the story thus far for those to just be cameos.

Still, it is a little odd that they're not just there ala Omega in World's Collide.

39 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Oh, what the foq?!

39 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

(like Issue 3) gave us a false sense of hope.

Wait, what?

36 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Oh.

35 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Ah true. But I think Omega and Cream and Gemerl will appear, they will be introduced properly in later pages. They can't make a flat-out false advertisement cover, the hooligans was just an easter egg, or written before Ian knew the classic mandate.

Exactly, especially given the solicits corroborate Blaze's major role, befitting her depiction on the cover. 

Like, if this was some overtop cover for a broader, lower stakes story and/or had Zavok, Chaos, and Zeena present, I could maybe buy that.

Also, Whisper(a new character that's notably present and that they'd wanna show off) is absent.

• Thumbs Up 1