Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

On 9/17/2018 at 9:28 PM, VEDJ-F said:

-Sally and Nicole were totes going to go down the lesbian route.

Meh, we all already knew that.

As a Nicole fan, I say that he made a complete disservice with the character in the post-reboot. She got demoted from an actual character back to Sally's useful tool. Guess Aleah's shipping idea would only make the character even less relevant along the course.

• Nice Smile 1

I like these pages and the writing within them, and I gotta get my copy of this issue (I buy physical)!

Though, just one problem...

Blaze looks super wonky. In one panel, she gets an actual neck. Even Tangle looks a little weird. Something about the art screams "rush job" to me...

• Nice Smile 1

3 hours ago, ShadowSJG said:

Also, where are Omega, Cream, Gemerl...

Quick someone check the cargo holds!

RodentTales.thumb.png.f04e080f052c220fb9716cf4c774e1a3.png

....Shoot, I seriously underestimated this idea hang on I'll be back... with art.

4 hours ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

I like these pages and the writing within them, and I gotta get my copy of this issue (I buy physical)!

Though, just one problem...

Blaze looks super wonky. In one panel, she gets an actual neck. Even Tangle looks a little weird. Something about the art screams "rush job" to me...

Don't forget - Blaze is supposed to be justice flat. She was given a chest in these panels, lmao.

Just read the issue. Short review:

I'm at work right now and people look funny at my constant stupid grin. If someone checks what I'm doing, I'm finished.

Longer review

Spoiler

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang that opening. Metal is bad and FEELS like Metal.

Everyone is here and everyone is interacting and it's AWESOME. Knuckles, Silver, Tangle, Shadow....okay, Rouge is still kicking the side, if you get what I mean. Even introduction card calls Shadow "Team Dark leader". That will annoy some peps.

Burning Blaze is amazing surprise, I just don't get why they talked about first. It would be soooo much cooler if she jumped and suddenly turned. Yeah, yeah, they need to give some bull why she isn't attacking Metal, but that could been mentioned later.

Art is great, holy cow Super Neo Metal Sonic (...geez, that's mouthful). Could go without that one music reference. I CAN'T read it without imagining Metal singing at them.

I'm honestly concerned about next issue, because I don't think it can be as good as this one. Yeah it's mostly set-up, but done RIGHT.

• Thumbs Up 1

Of all things to reference, it didn't seem necessary but it was nice.

Spoiler

Blaze's fear of heights from Sonic Rush Adventure. I'm glad he remembered.

Truly this was the best thing about this issue.

I believe the art is Tracy's best, with issue 1 being the worst at the moment, but his Blaze... eh, I didn't really like it, other characters are fine, especially Neo.

Spoiler

I was keeping my expectations low, it could have been another Worlds Unite, because even with the nice interactions doesn't mean it's gonna be a glorious issue, but boy, was it a glorious issue!

It wasn't slow as I thought, things actually happened, no... it was actually pretty fast, interactions were a nice bonus, but the pace was balanced.

Amy and Blaze were on fire! Knux was super angry, obviously, I really liked how Blaze was used, even though her reason for not confronting Metal was bullshit, I believe, they can't use their own weapons, so how do they think they're gonna fight Metal?

We can CLEARLY see how Amy here is definitely NOT Sally, like some people thought, and it's really refreshing, her strategy and orders are really cute and funny.

Even Sonic and Tails got a nice moment, it was great, the ship was generic, I kind of want them to have a real ship like the Sky Patrol but without using it in every issue, not too much, I knew this one wouldn't last, but woah, that was quick...

Aaaand I didn't notice the Whisper and Shadow interaction, it was really subtle, something you guys made me notice, thanks! Sonic was also nice to her, giving her some space.

And I really hoped Neo would pull that move, it's something that has never been done before with him, and it does reference S3&K, which is a plus, the lines from the song fit his personality so I'm okay with that. I wonder how are they gonna defeat him. Will Mr. Tinker appear in these last issues for Year 1 or not? Will Metal Overlord appear? I think so, but I have so many questions right now.

Cream and the others will probably join forces once the resistance is tired from the fight.

So aside from bits of the art, there weren't any problems here, great writing all around! And it left me with questions...

Eh I think it's fine. I fear for the big cast essentially stepping on each others toes and they merely become writers action figures/puppets rather than really feel necessary to the story. That was basically Worlds Unite in a nutshell. Still not really like super interested, but maybe we'll get something noteworthy.

Spoiler

And now for some spoiler stuff.

-I find it interesting we're given Burning Blaze, but also given a potential reason why she can't use it against Metal. Apparently the idea is he'll copy her powers and make things harder. Well hopefully they stick to that reason or have her have to come in anyways to help when Neo is probably to much for Red and Blue.

-Shadow can be called Team Leader for all I care, but do something with it. A team leader you know, leads their team...so him just going off on his own doesn't show great leadership qualities.

-I liked Knuckles taking things seriously when it came to his Island. He lost his home. There's no way he could take his mind off it with games. It's too important to him. I like that. However why is he even called Resistance Team Leader when Amy is the one doing that role clearly. They should switch roles if Amy is going to be doing the actual leading and commanding. 

-I thought Amy started off fine as a leader....until they hit land and she gave the no shit sherlock orders. Might as well have had Knuckles say them and at least try to look like he is the leader like he is labelled as. Knuckles may as well have said it since it's the same dribble he'd come up with in Forces..so her saying that barebones lame ass commands feels weird. She's even called out for the do something smart order. I mean in other circumstances Tails response could come off as dickish...but no really what does that even mean? Do what? The big calls were go smash stuff, and go do something Tails I don't fucking know what (While not intentional kinda comes off as an unintentional insult). At least Rouge had something to do that sounded like there was some thought...honestly the worst part of the issue was this part as I don't feel it did anyone any favors.

-Extreme gear to fly down Sonic and Knuckles was fun. Nice to see those boards get more use.

-Super Neo ala Super Mecha Sonic I guess. Wonder if he gets short burst transformations too like Mecha.

-For a big event...I don't particularly care for most of the characters. A lot of them just feel...there...just to be there. Outside of the characters being written mostly fine....mostly......I can't really bring myself to be interested in people other than Knuckles who has the biggest thing going on for him and his homeland, and Whisper because she has this mysterious aura about her and I have no idea what she might do. Everyone else....eh. They feel there to appease. Yeah there aren't many issues but...I think it's too soon to do something that has this many characters, when most of them don't have an ongoing story to them. Probably shoulda limited things to like Sonic, Knuckles, Blaze, and maybe Whisper since she feels like a wild card. Everyone else may as well just protect a certain village area from say...Metal's forces being spread out. So then we can have greater focus on fewer characters, and then build up other ones when the time comes. I mean I am a total Tails fanboy...but while he's written competently here, he's still kinda boring without any sort of stake or direction. Other than previous knowledge of characters from the games, why should I care about most of them? I feel it's too soon for these comics to go style over substance when all the characters just aren't developed well enough for it. 

-I'm kinda getting the FighterZ syndrome where you come more for character interactions. with the story as more of an excuse for those interactions to be there.

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Just read the issue. Short review:

I'm at work right now and people look funny at my constant stupid rin. If someone checks what I'm doing, I'm finished.

Longer review

Hide contents

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant that opening. Metal is bad and fe FEELS like Metal.

Everyone is here and everyone is interacting and it's AWESOME. Knuckles, Silver, Tangle, Shadow....okay, Rouge is still kicking the side, if you get what I mean. Even introduction card calls Shadow "Team Dark leader". That will annoy some peps.

Burning Blaze is amazing surprise, I just don't get why they talked about first. It would be soooo much cooler if she jumped and suddenly turned. Yeah, yeah, they need to give some bull why she isn't attacking Metal, but that could been mentioned later.

Art is great, holy cow Super Neo Metal Sonic (...geez, that's mouthful). Could go without that one music reference. I CAN'T read it without imagining Metal singing at them.

I'm honestly concerned about next issue, because I don't think it can be as good as this one. Yeah it's mostly set-up, but done RIGHT.

1)I mean like, all team dark usually does is stuff shadow wants to do, and team dark is apparently called team shadow in japan. I thought that was obvious

2) This comic confirms what I had believes before and moves knuckles up my character teir list of the M.E being able to nuetralize chaos emeralds, HAH i was right!

3) I like how enthusiastic tangle is, she's just hype as shit about what's going on. I'm into that

4) I like amy's character and attitude in this book. 

5) I also like how they directly address why it wouldn't be a good idea for the character who could basically be a small sun to just go in and melt the bad guy who is made of metal

6) A vanishing edgelord, maybe his words meant more than we thought

15 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:
  Hide contents

Personally, I'm wondering if she was originally a member of Infinite's Mercenary group before he joined Eggman

Oooh, is THAT why she's clad in black and grey?

16 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

5) I also like how they directly address why it wouldn't be a good idea for the character who could basically be a small sun to just go in and melt the bad guy who is made of metal

I feel like it might harken back to the Iron Dominion arc, where it was elongated because the FFs thought it was a good idea to send an AI who can control nanowires against a techno witch.

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

Oooh, is THAT why she's clad in black and grey?

That could explain her "deal" with Shadow.

Just want to mention, while that's interesting. Shadow clones have effectively been commuting genocide for several months so, don't forget that. She could be mad about that. 

Most normal non " Group of super heroes " people would view shadow is some bringer of death or eggman lackey" due to what happened

Neo: “The resistance’s paltry efforts do not concern me. One by one, you’ll all become a black mark on the floor.

I understood that reference.

• Thumbs Up 5