Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

6 minutes ago, Korke said:

I really can't remember an issue where he did that. Although there was something from StC that did happen in Archie too, in the dark ages - the evil Super Sonic thing on the arc "Tossed in Space" IIRC

#119.

2uh6d05.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, The KKM said:

Especially when I'm not even trying to defend the "genre" in the first place (since I don't even recognise it as a genre, that's idiotic, something like Panty and Stocking is not the same as Lain is not the same as Astro Boy is not the same as Kaiba), I'm complaining about the generalisation of Japan and its people itself, to only get "you sexist weeb" in response.

No one is dismissing or insulting Japan's culture.  Only pointing out problems with its animation & comics. Which as you yourself said are not the whole of its culture.

And yes you can be prejudice against asian individuals and that is bad.  But pointing out "sexist weeb" stuff as you put it is by no means bad.   

6 hours ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

You wanna talk about racism lets talk about all the actual racism going on in America right now against men & women of color, hispanics, middle easterners, etc.  Not your manurfactured "racism" against an extremly sexist genre of animation and comics that constantly objectifies females and ovsrsexualizes underage girls to the point its flat out creepy & pedophilic. And i'm sorry no cultural differences don't justify those things!

And the "not all anime" like the "not all men" argument doesn't work because no one is saying all anime, but enough where its a notable problem.  Heck even some of the ones supppsedly aimed at girls/women can be sexist/rapey at times.

...the fuck?? I think I'm honestly concerned for you if this is your legitimate reaction to what KKM said. 

Seriously, I haven't seen such an outrageous, ridiculous, and unwarranted reaction in quite a while, good job sire. This is literally on pure WTF levels right here. 

• Thumbs Up 7

2 hours ago, BlueSky said:

Uhm, may I point out they tried the Archie Sonic in here (and in some other countries around here too I suppose) as a translated version?

I think it was about as successful as the StC efforts too (as in not very). 

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, ShroomZed said:

...the fuck?? I think I'm honestly concerned for you if this is your legitimate reaction to what KKM said. 

Seriously, I haven't seen such an outrageous, ridiculous, and unwarranted reaction in quite a while, good job sire. This is literally on pure WTF levels right here. 

Always glad to give internet sociopaths something to gawk at I guess.  Thanks for letting me play.  Guess i'm outta quarters now though.  Live Long & Prosper.  

10 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

Always glad to give internet sociopaths something to gawk at I guess.  Thanks for letting me play.  Guess i'm outta quarters now though.  Live Long & Prosper.  

Yeah I'm a sociopath for questioning your freak out over someone saying that some anime jokes aren't representative of Japanese Culture and out of left field rant about how we aren't allowed to complain about that because of racism in America(???????)

I think we've finally truly jumped the shark here. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

So anyways, what plot lines do you think they should do in the new comics?

Issue 1: Sonic is running around on South Island when he notices the animals living there have gone missing while all these robots have started popping up in their place. Bothered by this, he goes off in search of answers.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Anyways aside from the editor, does anyone have of clue of whom are in the photo of the creative summit?

I could really only recognize Chris Ryall (bottom left), Aaron Webber, Iizuka, and the guy who's translated for him at a few events (though his name escapes me), in addition to Joe Hughes. I assume some of them are from SEGA licensing and/or internal IDW people.

8 minutes ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Issue 1: Sonic is running around on South Island when he notices the animals living there have gone missing while all these robots have started popping up in their place. Bothered by this, he goes off in search of answers.

That's sound like a good introductory arc.

1 minute ago, Zaysho said:

I could really only recognize Chris Ryall (bottom left), Aaron Webber, Iizuka, and the guy who's translated for him at a few events (though his name escapes me), in addition to Joe Hughes. I assume some of them are from SEGA licensing and/or internal IDW people.

Do you know any of their previous works with comics (for those that worked on comics)?

1 minute ago, Zaysho said:

the guy who's translated for him at a few events (though his name escapes me).

I assume that's Austin Keys you're referring to. 

He's actually quite a lot more important than most fans would think from his public appearances. His job title is "Director of Product Development". 

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, RedFox99 said:

Do you know any of their previous works with comics (for those that worked on comics)?

Can't say that I do. I think Ryall is the editor in chief and he did some very early work on IDW's TMNT before handing it off to Bobby Curnow (I believe he was involved in the concept for Old Hob's character).

6 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

He's actually quite a lot more important than most fans would think from his public appearances. His job title is "Director of Product Development". 

Yeah, I don't really follow SEGA or the people who work there very closely. It's nice to have a name to put to the face and know what else he does, though.

8 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Wow so he pretty much sees how things go?

13 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

Look we should be discussing this somewhere; preferably through PM. Back on topic, I hope that they can do something like @Chameleon94 suggested and do a sort of backstory arc and maybe a Sonic gets capture story line so that his friends can have moments in the limelight.

Thanks by the way, for the attention. I wish more people had noticed those ideas, I spent a full morning thinking about them.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Chameleon94 said:

Thanks by the way, for the attention. I wish more people had noticed those ideas, I spent a full morning thinking about them.

No problem. They were pretty good ideas for potential arcs.

• Nice Smile 1

13 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

I think it was about as successful as the StC efforts too (as in not very). 

Yeah I suppose. Maybe it's about the cultural shock "continental Europe" suffers when it comes to the comics starring videogame characters. ^_^ I have heard UK is pretty much closer to the US in culturally than other Europe, but then again, I don't know if that really is the case...

Though someone found it worth the effort to get the English version of Archie Sonic in our magazinestands some years ago... I don't recall seeing Mega Man though.

Just finished the Control arc. Unfortunately I don't have enough to get Issue #268 yet. 

Anyways, do you think that Breezie and 6S's should make a comeback in the new comics?

I'm wondering if they'll follow the Transformers/TMNT/My Little Pony mold and have a run of Spotlight/Micro-Series issues for the expanded cast? I could see them being a good way to spark interest.

• Thumbs Up 4

20 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I'm wondering if they'll follow the Transformers/TMNT/My Little Pony mold and have a run of Spotlight/Micro-Series issues for the expanded cast? I could see them being a good way to spark interest.

Maybe after the first year or so of the comic.

2 hours ago, SBR2 said:

It would be nice since there could be a chance to see something more... experimental in Sonic comics that could maybe differ a bit from the main book way of storytelling. And possibly some characters on a larger scale thain in the main book.

Of course, only if Sega's fine with it, which is a bit of a questionmark I think.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, the closest they had to the Sonic licence before was Skylanders (because it was also a video game) and...that was never more than one comic with a single special, I think. 

On 08/06/2017 at 5:34 PM, ShroomZed said:

Welcome to 2017.

But wasn't that caterpillar issue from that run if comics with the badass magazine covers?

58 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Welcome to 2017.

But wasn't that caterpillar issue from that run if comics with the badass magazine covers?

Sounds about right.

9200000034510456.jpg

On the topic of vibrating molecules to phase through stuff, Archie Sonic's been playing that game from its earliest runs. He did it all the time to screw with targeting sensors (like missiles) and in issue #71 he vibrated his molecules so fast he was able to phase through and escape a temporal anomaly barrier that was causing time to move backwards.

Dat Hedgehog be fast yo. Its actually kind of breathtaking how OP Archie Sonic really was. Which is something worth pondering about the upcoming IDW comics. Where where that version of Sonic rest on the power rankings?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1