Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

4 hours ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

In all fairness, the Iron Queen didn’t catch on to the fact she could even do that either until Snively brought it up when she forced him to make a solution dealing with NICOLE.

That's why it's one of my least favorite Flynn stories honestly. 

Why didn't she think "Oh, duh I can just take over the AI that I know runs the city."

It wouldn't be so bad if there weren't 7 issues before she even considers it.

31 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Why didn't she think "Oh, duh I can just take over the AI that I know runs the city."

Did she know NICOLE was an AI at that point?

Well, lets run through the usual tricks to dealing with enemies of this magnitude.

Spoiler

#1 Throwing bodies at him is a non-starter. We know that from past confrontations with the likes of Enerjak and Super Scourge. There is absolutely no strength in numbers here.

#2 Throw another Super Form at him. Another go-to strategy. While its been documented as to why its a good idea to keep Burning Blaze away from Neo, Super Sonic is playing with house money. We know Sonic can power up off the Master Emerald - its just a matter of getting to it at this point.

#3 Baiting his ego, ala Super Scourge. Normally this could be a possibility and probably the heroes best hope. We've seen Ian write Metal Sonic being done in by his single minded focus on Sonic several times (like when he was baited into a genesis portal by Sonic and Silver). However, you then you have to consider that with Eggman's Bio-Data, Neo would be too clever and see right through that kind of ruse.

If I had to guess, even tho Neo is a super genius I think #3 is the key here. He is still Metal Sonic after all and proving that he is the one true Sonic may just be too much for him to overlook. While his rebellious coding was removed - the same could be said about the Metal at the end of the Archie run and there was still a visible hatred for his blue fleshy counterpart (He had to tell Metal twice to disengage/stand down from a battle with Sonic).

If Ian can deliver a way to bring down Neo that doesn't involve a rival Super Form, I'll probably be impressed.

• Thumbs Up 3

Unless Neo has temporary brief bursts of power like Mecha did, then you could have Sonic distract Neo since he is obsessed with him, and have Knuckles use the Master Emerald to take away the power Neo gained.

• Thumbs Up 4

9 hours ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

In all fairness, the Iron Queen didn’t catch on to the fact she could even do that either until Snively brought it up when she forced him to make a solution dealing with NICOLE.

That and given how that mistake was set up for the next arc, I find that to be an intentional set up. Not that people complained about characters making perfect decisions, but I find it hard to get hung up on a narrative that has the character make mistakes and sets itself up for their consequences in a later arc.

4 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Honestly? I'm not a big fan of complains like that.

"Story is stupid because character didn't figured out obvious solution. Also, Frodo just just fly to Mordor."Because giant eye will never notice Ring in clear sky. It's not like Sauron has flying minions or anything.

Yes,  from our perspective, sitting in comfy chair, drinking hot coco and over-analyzing everything, many things seems obvious. But heroes don't have a luxury of months between issues to ponder situation, they kinda busy with what happening now. And even if they  have breather, they worried about Bunnie's health or Eggman insanity and they take it much more seriously than any Sonic nerd, since they don't know "they main characters in a comic, they will be fine".

Of course, I can't excuse everything that way, there is a line when characters are made stupid for sake of plot. But nerds seems to have much higher expectations from what is reasonable, considering that what we audience see and what they characters know isn't identical. We have huge advantage over them.

Besides, plot holes really aren't true value of the story. Tale of Sonic cleaning his shoes would have 0 plot holes, but I still prefer Adventure 2.

You know what makes story good for me?

Spoiler

X.thumb.png.28cd31ae445f6b244a91467fb1330817.png

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Well, lets run through the usual tricks to dealing with enemies of this magnitude.

Hide contents

We know Sonic can power up off the Master Emerald

That's never happened in the games.

Yeah, the Master Emerald doesn't seem to be able to used for power unless by a machine (or landmass). Which makes sense since it's natural function is to neutralise power, not give it.

3 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, the Master Emerald doesn't seem to be able to used for power unless by a machine (or landmass). Which makes sense since it's natural function is to neutralise power, not give it.

Not exactly true.

The master emerald has been used as a power/energy source enough times to prove that it is a source of power alongside its ability to counter the chaos emeralds. Even for non robotics.

in rivals knuckles uses it to initiate time travel for onyx island

in advance 3 the hero characters use the master emerald to induce a chaos control to fix the planet 

in chronicles (lol non canon) it’s highly likely the master emerald was used to allow IX to achieve his super form 

The master emerald is obviously a source of chaos energy not much unlike the chaos emeralds. It can be used for chaos control. There is enough precedent in the games to say even organic characters can harness its power. 

7 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Reveal hidden contents

#1 Throwing bodies at him is a non-starter. We know that from past confrontations with the likes of Enerjak and Super Scourge. There is absolutely no strength in numbers here.

#2 Throw another Super Form at him. Another go-to strategy. While its been documented as to why its a good idea to keep Burning Blaze away from Neo, Super Sonic is playing with house money. We know Sonic can power up off the Master Emerald - its just a matter of getting to it at this point.

#3 Baiting his ego, ala Super Scourge. Normally this could be a possibility and probably the heroes best hope. We've seen Ian write Metal Sonic being done in by his single minded focus on Sonic several times (like when he was baited into a genesis portal by Sonic and Silver). However, you then you have to consider that with Eggman's Bio-Data, Neo would be too clever and see right through that kind of ruse.

If I had to guess, even tho Neo is a super genius I think #3 is the key here. He is still Metal Sonic after all and proving that he is the one true Sonic may just be too much for him to overlook. While his rebellious coding was removed - the same could be said about the Metal at the end of the Archie run and there was still a visible hatred for his blue fleshy counterpart (He had to tell Metal twice to disengage/stand down from a battle with Sonic).

If Ian can deliver a way to bring down Neo that doesn't involve a rival Super Form, I'll probably be impressed.

Good points, but there's one issue with #2:

Spoiler

A Super form is, by definition, completely invulnerable, so having two fight each other is pointless. Doesn't matter how powerful you are if neither you nor your enemy can actually hurt the other- At that point, the only question is whose form would run out first.

I think the best bet would be to have Knuckles destroy the throne containing the Master Emerald. It's most likely what's blocking him from channeling the Emerald's power, and once he's linked back up with it, he can harness his inner Sonic 3/Mania Adventures and literally punch the Super out of Neo!

8 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Hide contents

Or be even more likely to do so.

3 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

in advance 3 the hero characters use the master emerald to induce a chaos control to fix the planet 

Or it's simply reversing/undoing a Chaos Control, which is more in-line with the premise of the Master Emerald being able to neutralize the effects of the Chaos Emeralds.

47 minutes ago, Pengi said:

Or it's simply reversing/undoing a Chaos Control, which is more in-line with the premise of the Master Emerald being able to neutralize the effects of the Chaos Emeralds.

Wouldn’t reversing the effects of a chaos control in this case have to be a second chaos control? Unless time shenanigans are in play, the only way to restore the planet would be to teleport the pieces back to their rightful  place. It’s not like the chaos emeralds we’re keeping them separated. Sonic and co were in possession of all of them by that point in the story.

negating the chaos emeralds sitting in Sonics pocket would t do anything for the chunks of planet floating around 

1 hour ago, Forte-Metallix said:

Good points, but there's one issue with #2:

Hide contents

A Super form is, by definition, completely invulnerable, so having two fight each other is pointless. Doesn't matter how powerful you are if neither you nor your enemy can actually hurt the other- At that point, the only question is whose form would run out first.

Tell that to Knuckles, Big Arm, Egg Salamander, Solaris, Perfect Dark Gaia, Zavok's Bomb Carts, and Phantom King.

5 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Tell that to Knuckles, Big Arm, Egg Salamander, Solaris, Perfect Dark Gaia, Zavok's Bomb Carts, and Phantom King.

Gameplay/story segregation. Besides...

Spoiler

Metal doesn't exactly have any Rings to knock out of him. The only way to take him down is to cut off his Chaos energy supply, and Knuckles is the best guy for that job.

8 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Besides, plot holes really aren't true value of the story. Tale of Sonic cleaning his shoes would have 0 plot holes, but I still prefer Adventure 2.

You know what makes story good for me?

Hide contents

X.thumb.png.28cd31ae445f6b244a91467fb1330817.png

I love that panel of Amy chattin it up with Jun Kun.

What is Tale of Sonic, btw?

4 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

in rivals knuckles uses it to initiate time travel for onyx island

r. 

What the freak?

57 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

What the freak?

Lol

Onyx island is angel island in the future. At the end of Rivals Knux uses the master emerald to send it back where it came from.

probably has something to do with the fact that the master emerald is kinda like Solaris and exists in all timelines at once but either way that gemstone has a lot of hidden talents 

Reveal hidden contents

Metal doesn't exactly have any Rings to knock out of him. The only way to take him down is to cut off his Chaos energy supply, and Knuckles is the best guy for that job.

Shouldn’t matter. When you think about it, sonic dropping the chaos emeralds should have no inpact on him losing his super form. It’s not like he has to be touching them in order to stay powered up. The uppercut itself was enough to depower him and dropping the gems was a fringe bonus. 

Perfect chaos didn’t need the gems to stay in his super form. Neither did devil doom. Sonic and Shadow both turned super in SA2. They could not have both been in possession of all 7 emeralds. There is no “source” of chaos energy to cut off.

Theoretically, a solid blow should be all that it takes to make a super take a knee. Maybe an element of surprise added on?  Anyway it makes sense how even the super form can be trumped despite being invulnerable - like in some of the boss battles mentioned above. You don’t have to cut his link to the emerald. One gigantic surprise uppercut could also do the trick

4 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Neither did devil doom.

Was Devil Doom even emerald powered? I figured that was just a "true form" kind of thing.

Hide contents

Pretty sure all but two of those were intentional, given the circumstances.

12 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Was Devil Doom even emerald powered? I figured that was just a "true form" kind of thing.

It's somewhat ambiguous, as while he teleports and transforms offscreen after being confronted by Shadow after possessing the Chaos Emeralds for a period of time, it's never really alluded to that they were necessary for the transformation like with Gemerl.

The Sonic Wiki notably leaves him off the list of Super Transformations, though.

12 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I thought so for a while, but the dude was spamming chaos control. He can’t do that without an emerald and shadow technically had them at that point. 

I think we have to consider devil doom a chaos powered transformation, unless someone wants to argue that he could use chaos control without the emeralds, which would come with the additional baggage of wondering why he would need to collect the emeralds in the first place.