Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

7 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Sounds about right.

9200000034510456.jpg

On the topic of vibrating molecules to phase through stuff, Archie Sonic's been playing that game from its earliest runs. He did it all the time to screw with targeting sensors (like missiles) and in issue #71 he vibrated his molecules so fast he was able to phase through and escape a temporal anomaly barrier that was causing time to move backwards.

Dat Hedgehog be fast yo. Its actually kind of breathtaking how OP Archie Sonic really was. Which is something worth pondering about the upcoming IDW comics. Where where that version of Sonic rest on the power rankings?

StC Sonic never phased through stuff but he has vibrated molecules at "super speed" (and technically SEGASonic could too since it's the insta-shield right below) 

032.jpg

But besides insta-shield he's had other unique instances 

nrIsWHUYQPiI5ePAileXSA.png

D21EPVBjTa_3chbFAj0x6Q.pngZWf0AViySfWnbemD65ZO6Q.png

Also if we want to talk about how truly fast StC Sonic was, he once went so fast to stop a missile that when he stopped moving he found he was in a state separate from anyone else, like he was still moving as fast as he was before stopping the missile and all his sensory systems could show him was the world relative to him at this speed now and great confusion ensued. He shredded paper into bits by just touching it and noticed clocks and other individuals weren't moving at all relative to himself. 

Image result for hypersonic 134

This kind of weird stuff is more to be expected from comics. It's like how SEGASonic needs to collect rings while the rest don't, the character is always malleable to the medium they participate in. 

• Thumbs Up 7

I think Sonic was rather OP in Sonic X. I remember a momemt were Tails in his Tornado X Mecha tried to fight against Dr. Eggman's Windmachine. The wind was so strong that Tails' mech got  pushed to he ground and couldn't get up and then Sonic appears like Chuck Norris, completely unfazed by the storm and destroys the windmachine with ease.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

I think the only continuities where Sonic isn't some form of OP is Boom which is a sitcom and SatAM where characters were designed to be more vulnerable. And maybe the OVA, but the point of that was to show how badass Metal Sonic was. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

Well, considering how easily Sonic makes cars fly by just bumping into them in SA2 I'd say he's so dense it's not too hard to imagine, if that logic is applied to the X as well, considering how much "more flat" parts (compared to Sonic) X mecha had...

But yeah, his aerodynamics/density knows no bounds... 

I would argue most characters in sonic are OP, they are strong as the narrative calls for at the time. And some even then some, like shadow, blaze and silver. 

The idea of a character in a world of characters basically powered by momentum has the power of telekinesis is OP as shit. Sonic characters if they were evil would take over the entire planet with ease. 

3 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

Well, considering how easily Sonic makes cars fly by just bumping into them in SA2 I'd say he's so dense it's not too hard to imagine, if that logic is applied to the X as well, considering how much "more flat" parts (compared to Sonic) X mecha had...

But yeah, his aerodynamics/density knows no bounds... 

I think that's more of a gameplay conceit than anything, because to be for real sonic running past those cares should be causing them to fly into the air given how fast he's going sometimes. 

Also I don't think sonic is that dense... at least compared to everyone else in sonic land. Particularly shadow, who... is described to be particularly sturdier than most. I think these just be cartoonish conceits folks might be over analyzing here. 

7 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Sounds about right.

9200000034510456.jpg

Dat Hedgehog be fast yo. Its actually kind of breathtaking how OP Archie Sonic really was. Which is something worth pondering about the upcoming IDW comics. Where where that version of Sonic rest on the power rankings?

Archie everyone was op, most of them were never used correctly because the stories were terrible, so none of it was never realized.

But they were OP

So far ova sonic is the most powerful imo. Fighting in the sky. Riding mjssles. Dbz plowing each other into solid sheets of ice.

1 minute ago, Meta77 said:

So far ova sonic is the most powerful imo. Fighting in the sky. Riding mjssles. Dbz plowing each other into solid sheets of ice.

Most of the time he was getting his arse handed to himself by Metal Sonic. He was obviously powerful, he could spin attack Metal miles away, but the story required him to look quite weaker than Metal for most of it for tension. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Shadowlax said:

I think that's more of a gameplay conceit than anything, because to be for real sonic running past those cares should be causing them to fly into the air given how fast he's going sometimes. 

Also I don't think sonic is that dense... at least compared to everyone else in sonic land. Particularly shadow, who... is descriptive to be particularly sturdier than most. I think these just be cartoonish conceits folks might be over analyzing here. 

First, I hope you noticed the word "if" I did use when I put my theory up?

20 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

if that logic is applied to

And then to the second point.

Have you any other explanation for the fact Sonic's not losing half of his head whenever he hits a car and sets it flying? Please do share if you do have one. I'd be more than interested to hear! ^_^

Density's the best I can come up with the fact how mechanics work on, for example, in City Escape.

It's about momentum, and collision; there're roughly two kinds of collisions; 1) elastic and 2) inelastic collision. This is by no means an elastic collision since Sonic's not flying backwards. So it must be 2nd option.

The thing is, the car's still flying, so the fact it's not elastic is because Sonic isn't flying. So this isn't perfectly inelastic, but partially inelastic collision instead.

So now, Sonic's body doesn't change externally so the fact some of the energy is absorbed by his body isn't changing it. This has to mean Sonic's sturdier than, for example, a tennis ball that bends a bit for some time when it bounces from the ground.

Thus the easiest idea I have is the fact that Sonic's "extremely dense hedgehog". B)

And please bear in mind, this is actually more of an inside joke for me than a full-fledged essay, though I did went a bit overboard with all the pfysics I think... ^_^

This doesn't exclude the idea of others being even more dense, you know, I just approached a situation where the system consists of a moving hedgie and a parked, unmoving car colliding. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

4 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

First, I hope you noticed the word "if" I did use when I put my theory up?

And then to the second point.

Have you any other explanation for the fact Sonic's not losing half of his head whenever he hits a car and sets it flying? Please do share if you do have one. I'd be more than interested to hear! ^_^

Density's the best I can come up with the fact how mechanics work on, for example, in City Escape.

It's about momentum, and collision; there're roughly two kinds of collisions; 1) elastic and 2) inelastic collision. This is by no means an elastic collision since Sonic's not flying backwards. So it must be 2nd option.

The thing is, the car's still flying, so the fact it's not elastic is because Sonic isn't flying. So this isn't perfectly inelastic, but partially inelastic collision instead.

So now, Sonic's body doesn't change externally so the fact some of the energy is absorbed by his body isn't changing it. This has to mean Sonic's sturdier than, for example, a tennis ball that bends a bit for some time when it bounces from the ground.

Thus the easiest idea I have is the fact that Sonic's "extremely dense hedgehog". B)

And please bear in mind, this is actually more of an inside joke for me than a full-fledged essay, though I did went a bit overboard with all the pfysics I think... ^_^

This doesn't exclude the idea of others being even more dense, you know, I just approached a situation where the system consists of a moving hedgie and a parked, unmoving car colliding. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 2

1 minute ago, RedFox99 said:

Thanks for attending today's short crashcourse of physic's lecture provided by BlueSky's vague memory. Thank you all for participating. :D

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

Just now, BlueSky said:

Thanks for attending today's short crashcourse of physic's lecture provided by BlueSky's vague memory. Thank you all for participating. :D

Uh Mr Blue sky will there be a test on this?

• Nice Smile 1

7 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

Modern Sonic is 3'3'' as you probably knew, but he is also 35Kgs. That's quite heavy for someone at that height. It's actually obese if you look at a BMI. So Sonic does have a hefty amount of weight. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1

Just now, ShroomZed said:

Modern Sonic is 3'3'' as you probably knew, but he is also 35Kgs. That's quite heavy for someone at that height. It's actually obese if you look at a BMI. So Sonic does have a hefty amount of weight. 

what about Knuckles?

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, RedFox99 said:

Uh Mr Blue sky will there be a test on this?

Yes there will be, a 30-points test with 5 questions in which for you need to tell the difference between Lagrangian and Newtonian mechanics and...

... :blink: Whoopsie, wrong course...

Öhöm; You need to tell the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions and give an example. Brownie points for remembering to use Lorentz factor in your calculations since we're talking about really speedy hedgies in here.

Yes, even if we're not that close to the lightspeed that's a good thing to learn to use right from the get-go. Now sorry I'm in a hurry to get into the office for my coffee. Ta ta! :D...

Gee what a mess of a lecturer I'd be... Still, I suppose I need to put this on the headcanon topic for preserving it to the future wellbeing of the mankind...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 2

5 minutes ago, ad516 said:

what about Knuckles?

Knuckles is also 3'7'' but is a whopping 40Kgs. He's quite massive. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, ShroomZed said:

Knuckles is also 3'3'' but is a whopping 40Kgs. He's quite massive. 

Now what a collision that'd be.

"Worlds Collide" was pretty much collision allright... :D

1 minute ago, BlueSky said:

Now what a collision that'd be.

"Worlds Collide" was pretty much collision allright... :D

Actually he's 3'7''. Sorry guys. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

57 minutes ago, ShroomZed said:

Actually he's 3'7''. Sorry guys. 

Aww, that's too bad.

Though, if we assume both Sonic & Knuckles are very roughly about (by handwaving accuracy) pretty much same in other measures we could try and approximate some ratios;

Sonic's around 35.3 kg/m and Knux's around 36.6 kg/m, though that means they'd prolly be pretty much the same density considering the fact their other measures are prolly a bit different too. This has so much ~inaccurancy inside of it it's better say they're pretty much same.

All in all, I'd say they're about the same. ^_^

1 hour ago, ShroomZed said:

Most of the time he was getting his arse handed to himself by Metal Sonic. He was obviously powerful, he could spin attack Metal miles away, but the story required him to look quite weaker than Metal for most of it for tension. 

Yet metal had Sonics data he knows all his moves.  he also wasn't so much stringer as just knew what was going to happen your fighting a guy who knows your going to spin dash him but you know he's going to dodge it so you stop to kick instead bit he knows your going to stop to kick

This discussion is becoming strange, isn't it?

But well, one could presume Sonic just didn't get the fact of Metal being able to predict what he'd do right from the start so that'd be one reason for the butt-kicking.

But then again, I kind of find the idea of Metal being a bit more overpowered pretty possible though... 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

As far as the whole freedom fighter thing goes I personally have a few concerns. I don't think that a pure Sega Sonic book can survive longterm without OC's unless Sega is going to allow the video game characters to have character development.

If the Satam and Post Reboot Archie Sonic characters can't come back then hopefully IDW can come up with some new kickass new characters.

I keep thinking back to Archie's Sonic X comic which was more inline with how Sega wants Sonic to be and it was pretty boring. Sure there were a few good issues but ultimate it felt like a soulless comic.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic X was also far more of a merchandise comic than any of the others (even Boom), it didn't have Flynn on staff until about half-way through, and they were super-restrictive on that one (for example it had to be set in the seasons where Sonic and co. were still on Earth, no mentioning season 3). 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Sonic X was also far more of a merchandise comic than any of the others (even Boom), it didn't have Flynn on staff until about half-way through, and they were super-restrictive on that one (for example it had to be set in the seasons where Sonic and co. were still on Earth, no mentioning season 3). 

Whicj issues would you recommend reading?