Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

4 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Ah.

Delightfully creepy of you Eggman.

I bet anyone of those would kick the shit out of Annabelle.

Tails doll rules above all

On a seperate note, I almost thought returning villian would be infinite.

But nah, guess those cubes above eggmans head was some shit he inflicted upon himself, something metal sonic did, or much like infinite himself something from another story that never really got told.

7 hours ago, StaticMania said:

That's because it is Tails doll...

No it isn't. It may be heavily based on the Tails Doll as a reference, but it's still made of metal. 

1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

Got me then, it barely looks metal with that shading.

It's more in the smaller details to be honest (rivets down the face hemline, the bolt in the tail joint). 

5 hours ago, FFWF said:

The impression I get is that perhaps Eggman's memory returning isn't a sudden moment, but more of a slow burn.  Over time Mr. Tinker just gets more and more Eggman-like.  That strikes me as a more interesting arc than just him remembering all at once or revealing that he really was faking it.

I agree. Mr. Tinker slowly turning evil could be rather creepy and interesting if done right.

• Thumbs Up 5

2 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

So I’m the only one who thought “Final Egg” when looking at those dolls? Alrighty then.

No, that was my second thought after The Dollmaker.

15 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Eh? Not at all. 

You must have not read the archie comics... that shit.... The archie comics... might have the or had rather at one point the worst portrayals of everyone. Along with that, the general message of the game, is actually kind of mature one. its just, hidden behind guns and cursing. 

He's more brand material than actually everyone else in the franchise not named sonic. The guy writing the comic admitted if they started doing character books , he's kinda first up. You don't gotta like shadow, you gotta live with how popular he is though. 

All that said, instead of putting some dumb 13+ thing on shadow's book, because that's dumb. We could use shadow's stories to tell interesting and more involved stories, and more mature ones. Yes that might make your blood boil, but you can do that with out guns and cursing and its totally fine. And shadow and rouge tbh kind of the perfect candidates to do such thing. Along with silver and blaze I feel . 

No, I haven't read very much of Archie, so I'll have to exclude that.

I actually do like Shadow and I recognize that he'd be first in line for his own spin-off comic. I mean, he's gotten his own game of course. I just have doubts about a whole brand revolving around Shadow being that successful when SEGA already struggles with Sonic. Not to mention the direction they took Shadow in his own game not setting well with fans and critics. I'm all for more complex stories with Shadow, but you certainly don't need a 13+ label to do that successfully. 

So are we still getting the TSR one-shot at the end of the month, even though the game has supposedly been delayed to next year?

2 hours ago, Flame Lance said:

No, I haven't read very much of Archie, so I'll have to exclude that.

I actually do like Shadow and I recognize that he'd be first in line for his own spin-off comic. I mean, he's gotten his own game of course. I just have doubts about a whole brand revolving around Shadow being that successful when SEGA already struggles with Sonic. Not to mention the direction they took Shadow in his own game not setting well with fans and critics. I'm all for more complex stories with Shadow, but you certainly don't need a 13+ label to do that successfully. 

I most of what you just said. I do think however they could do it ( and for a few other characters ) but it would require a strong direction and someone in charge of all of it understanding the strengths as a brand as a whole and nurturing the different parts. Not just hypothetical shadow stuff, but just 3d and 2d sonic need this. The thing they don't have that person. At least in theory sonic boom, or sonic synergy was supposed to be the start of something like that, but Sonic Team for both good and bad warped it into something else and... now boom is gone. 

I agree with the rest of what you said though, the 13 + label is dumb and I think I pointed that out. 

I'm gonna stop now, not gonna turn into this thread into a sonic team ranting thread. There are plenty of those

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry to be so behind on everyone, my copy of issue #9 just arrived. I really liked this, if purely because it is so cool just to have characters interact with each other which after 8 issues of buildup feels even more satisfying. Got to love how the "role call" takes up an entire page of reintroducing everyone who is in this issue.

Amy gets to be the boss, Knuckles gets to brood over Angel Island being taken from him, Blaze gets alot of focus which sees her being serious but also reflecting on her friendship, Tangle gets to be goofy, Silver gets to be even more dorky and gullible and sweet, Whisper gets a hint of foreshadowing and Tails gets to be capable and smart in a desperate situation rather than be weak and cowardly. Honestly, if the IDW Sonic comics ever do "filler" issues inbetween major story arcs, I'd love the Sonic equivelent of just having the entire cast locked in a lift for an issue and just talk, bicker and banter with each other.

Granted, not much plotwise happens, with it really just being setup for the inevitable big battle that will presumably dominate over the next 3 issues. Certainly, it seems like we are in for some good moments with Sonic and Knuckles getting to team up against Neo Metal Sonic, Burning Blaze getting to **** up an entire fleet, and everyone else getting into a big slobberknocker. Hopefully everyone involved gets to do something, although I can't help but think that it will be inevitable that someone at least doesn't get anything besides a single moment. Wouldn't surprise me if the Chaotix or maybe Rouge don't get much to do, but hey, I'd love to be proven wrong.

My only real disappointment is that I wish we got to see Tangle and Whisper meet the other characters for the first time, rather than the implication that the intial greetings happened off screen, with Tangle seemingly already knowing about Silver's whole schtick. I dunno, I really loved issue #4 for Tangle being wowed by Sonic and Blaze, so I must admit I would of loved for her to perhaps talk to the other characters, like her being star struck over meeting Shadow with him being annoyed by her, or getting to meet the Chaotix, stuff like that. (Maybe just me, but I can't help but find the idea of Tangle being a Shadow fangirl humourous.) Also issue #10-#12 has to has to have her talk to Tails about them both using their tails for their fighting style surely?

Still, I really look forward to issues #10-#12 and hope we get to see lots of Avengers style teams up during the fighting. Will also be cool to get that Team Sonic Racing comic on the 31st, unless it does get delayed as it has been pointed out. Wonder if they'll try to fit it in with the IDW continuity, maybe like inbetween #12 and #13, or if they'll do what they did with alot of the Archie Sonic game tie-ins after #170ish and just not bother. Still, will be nice to have 2 comics in 1 month atleast, and hey, maybe TSR will give us some even cooler team interactions. I just wanna see how Team Vector is formed.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, silvereye27 said:

My only real disappointment is that I wish we got to see Tangle and Whisper meet the other characters for the first time, rather than the implication that the intial greetings happened off screen, with Tangle seemingly already knowing about Silver's whole schtick. I dunno, I really loved issue #4 for Tangle being wowed by Sonic and Blaze, so I must admit I would of loved for her to perhaps talk to the other characters, like her being star struck over meeting Shadow with him being annoyed by her, or getting to meet the Chaotix, stuff like that.

To be honest, it's not a surprise they did that when that's the game ethos as well. Basically at this point nearly everyone has met offscreen, as shown by the Chaotix knowing anyone when game events up to Free Riders/Colours indicated they knew basically no-one well. It's why whenever someone is like "Silver hasn't met Blaze though, they shouldn't be teaming up!", I just shrug and ignore it. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, VEDJ-F said:

To be honest, it's not a surprise they did that when that's the game ethos as well. Basically at this point everyone has met offscreen, as shown by the Chaotix knowing anyone when game events up to Free Riders/Colours indicated they knew basically no-one well. It's why whenever someone is like "Silver hasn't met Blaze though, they shouldn't be teaming up!", I just shrug and ignore it. 

Well sure, but then the Sonic games tend to all be isolated from each other. There isn't a whole lot in terms of continuity, as much as a character is introduced in a game, and in every game henceforth they are just part of the furniture. A self contained comic book doesn't have that excuse. It doesn't bother me that much, I just think it is a bit of a missed opportunity.

19 hours ago, Demon Hunter Ellipsis said:

We interrupt the discussion to bring in the cover of IDW Sonic #12-

tumblr_pg55pr9vYd1rplhyso1_400.jpg

That tails mechanism reminds me a little of the Tails Doll...

Creepy.

49 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

To be honest, it's not a surprise they did that when that's the game ethos as well. Basically at this point nearly everyone has met offscreen, as shown by the Chaotix knowing anyone when game events up to Free Riders/Colours indicated they knew basically no-one well. It's why whenever someone is like "Silver hasn't met Blaze though, they shouldn't be teaming up!", I just shrug and ignore it. 

Didn't they all work together against Metal Overlord and the Black Arms though?

6 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Didn't they all work together against Metal Overlord and the Black Arms though?

The Chaotix barely interacted with anyone in the final ending (in fact, Just Sonic to hand over the stuff really, that and saying which team would take over the assault), and they parted ways very soon after. They also did not work everyone against the Black Arms because they were in the Ark for the entire duration of that ending. So having them familiar with, say, Amy, and then being really pally with Sonic to the point he gets irritated by their quirks like it's a regular occurrence can only be explained by off-camera action. Stuff that applies in other instances like why Silver and Amy have any sort of familiarity with each other. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think its even simpler than that. They just know of eachother. They don't all have to meet off screen. A bunch of them are this worlds super heroes and word travels, this is in combination with 

The chaotix probably having information on...everyone because sometimes their line of work calls for that

Rouge being in the same category of having a work database, I would say for gun but I 'm not to sure about that anymore. But she's team dark intel so she probably has information on important people incase she needs to steal something or they have to scrap

While tails doesn't have a job, tails probably just has a good amount of information on a lot of folks, previous adventures. He seems like that kind of genius. 

This is in combination of them just mentioning each other

This allows them to be familiar and come up with battle plans based on what they think each other can do. And at the same time have confrontations in the future like Knuckles Vs Shadow, where the former is surprised because he underestimated the latter. On that same note, blaze could be a pretty good character for that. For a few things now that I think about it, depends on how much the develop the people of this new sonic land. There's a lot of interesting potential in a world where and no offence to you archie fans was planned around all these characters existing. You can play with notoriety, or lack their of. 

One of my biggest issues with archie is when new characters just existed, it felt like the world was not sufficient enough (at least in pre reboot ) to handle them. The world never really responded to their existence, they just also existed and the world still revolved around the same characters. Now the world can react to everyone, if they can do that. That whipser shadow shit might be the indicator on that one. 

Anyways rambling

This video popped up as I was searching for Sonic Riders videos today oddly enough.  You'll have to forgive me, I'm not really familiar with this creator on youtube but I think I may have a few of his other videos mentioned in the "recommended" section of my youtube.

Is there any truth to this video down below?  In summation, he's saying that IDW Creatives who work on Sonic The Hedgehog are insulting people on Twitter for their political or religious beliefs which is wrong if true.  From what I've seen of the tweets described in the video, it's kinda, maybe....I don't know.  Ian Flynn, David Mariotte and Tracy Yardley are quoted in the video.

Ian takes a more neutral stance and doesn't really insult anyone directly.  David is directly replying to someone and did seem a little on edge in his response and Tracy's was probably the harshest example the video creator went over as Tracy is stating a direct political opinion.  I'm not gonna say what but I thought I'd get a general consensus.

Does this guy have a point in his video or would you say he's spouting nonsense to an extent?  People have a right to express their opinion but to demonize someone for what they believe also isn't right.  

3 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Ian stood up to Comicsgaters, and the Comicsgaters got offended.

What a sentence to come in on.

What is good about being against equal rights, lgbt rights, women's rights, minority rights, trans rights??

Nothing is good about bigotry, and these creators are against it.

• Thumbs Up 4

So on the topic of characters just knowing each other, it really is kind of a franchise thing and having it be reflected in the comics doesn't surprise me in the least. Just as a quick example, Amy is introduced in Sonic CD and her next appearance is Sonic Drift. Now, if you go by the Japanese manual (thanks to my younger brother for translating and Retro for having the manual in their archives) the way Amy talks to Sonic and Tails implies a great deal of familiarity with Tails and having met him before the events of the game despite them not having met before. Looking at it like that while off panel meetings should be avoided in a more narrative focused medium like comics it still doesn't surprise me with this franchise, especially when the idea is to get to the meat of the story as fast as possible. On the other hand, it kind of makes me miss Archie's off panel strips since they could be exploited in this case for the very purpose of showing those meetings in a sillier light.

6 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

So on the topic of characters just knowing each other, it really is kind of a franchise thing and having it be reflected in the comics doesn't surprise me in the least. Just as a quick example, Amy is introduced in Sonic CD and her next appearance is Sonic Drift. Now, if you go by the Japanese manual (thanks to my younger brother for translating and Retro for having the manual in their archives) the way Amy talks to Sonic and Tails implies a great deal of familiarity with Tails and having met him before the events of the game despite them not having met before. Looking at it like that while off panel meetings should be avoided in a more narrative focused medium like comics it still doesn't surprise me with this franchise, especially when the idea is to get to the meat of the story as fast as possible. On the other hand, it kind of makes me miss Archie's off panel strips since they could be exploited in this case for the very purpose of showing those meetings in a sillier light.

Amy meets Tails and Knuckles for the first time in Sonic Mega Drive