Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

11 hours ago, Spinneret said:

As far as the whole freedom fighter thing goes I personally have a few concerns. I don't think that a pure Sega Sonic book can survive longterm without OC's unless Sega is going to allow the video game characters to have character development.

If the Satam and Post Reboot Archie Sonic characters can't come back then hopefully IDW can come up with some new kickass new characters.

I keep thinking back to Archie's Sonic X comic which was more inline with how Sega wants Sonic to be and it was pretty boring. Sure there were a few good issues but ultimate it felt like a soulless comic.

When people call Sonic X Boring all I can ever think of is Chainsaw wielding Chao and Eggman becoming a Lucha. And if that's "Boring" sign me up for boring.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

14 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Do you think a Sonic Mania Story could work for the first issue?

With Hesse on board? It would be a crime not to see him head-up a Mania adaptation.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 16/08/2017 at 2:00 PM, SBR2 said:

When people call Sonic X Boring all I can ever think of is Chainsaw wielding Chao and Eggman becoming a Lucha. And if that's "Boring" sign me up for boring.

I'm weird when it comes to comics like Sonic X, and Sonic Boom for that matter: I got really bored with then when they were running. It wasn't until they ended that I started to kinda miss them.

15 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Do you think a Sonic Mania Story could work for the first issue?

By the looks of it, that would have to directly go into a Forces adaptation.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1

The last books of the Archie Sonic Comic were an adaptation of tons of Sonic Games, most notably of Sonic Unleashed and the beloved Mega Drive and Megamix books that I'd love to see carry over.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the first book is an adaptation following Sonic Forces. If Marvel can make tie in comic books for their movies, Sega can do that with Sonic the Hedgehog. 

Wait...

Is there a possibility to actually get new adaptations of the older games?

Because that would be cool

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Wait...

That was all the rebooted Archie comic really got to do in the end in the main comic. If it wasn't Genesis of a Hero, it was the massive pseudo adaptation of Unleashed which itself contained an adaptation of Sonic the Fighters, which itself contained an adaptation of GG Sonic 2 and a prelude to Heroes. 

• Thumbs Up 3

If we must have adaptations, I wouldn't at all be opposed to the idea of a Heroes, or Riders retelling, since I think there's a lot of story potential to tap into as a comic.

19 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Do you think the comics will be canon to the main series?

Canon to the game story (as in fitting in with it), or the comics being based on the story to the games?

I'd say highly unlikely they'd ever be considered part of the canon. They'll most likely follow 'canon' content, though.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

10 minutes ago, zephyrzaivian said:

Canon to the game story (as in fitting in with it), or the comics being based on the story to the games?

I'd say highly unlikely they'd ever be considered part of the canon. They'll most likely follow 'canon' content, though.

The first one.

3 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

The first one.

I could imagine that they'd do things to fit between arcs (say what happens from SA2 to Heroes, Heroes to ShTH, etc). But not ever being confirmed the actual canon thing that happened between games. Sort of like what the Archie comics did. I think SEGA's far too tight on things to ever allow it, let alone if they had OCs in it.

• Thumbs Up 2

20 hours ago, Chameleon of the Spoilers said:

No adaptations please...

That's very unlikely.

Wait...

I know it's not likely but I'd like to see them do like OGN's that adapt the old games in the art style of their box art. Maybe get Spaz on them if they can.

• Thumbs Up 1

It'd be wonderful if they could do what Ian did for Mega Man and adapt everything from the beginning while giving it some much needed depth.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, Ernest-Panda said:

It'd be wonderful if they could do what Ian did for Mega Man and adapt everything from the beginning while giving it some much needed depth.

That's what I'm talking about.

• Thumbs Up 1

Doing so would add some constraints in the storytelling/world. Plus, I don't think the games had the best narrative/pace/scenarios/transition/environment. I think it would be best to simply be free of them and imagine the best.

Personally, I want them to go the Archie route and only adapt games when an adaption is required by Sega. Ian adapted games a lot during his tenure while writing for Sonic and Mega Man, and it's just not that interesting to read; his adaption of Tails Adventure probably being his best for establishing new characters and integrating original cast to make it more interesting.

I want something NEW from the IDW comic. I don't want the post-reboot to just continue like it was. I don't want to see the games stories yet again. I want actual original stories in a new direction. It can be set in the games universe, I'm fine with and expect that. But have it be something I haven't seen before multiple times. That's happening enough in this franchise.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

I  did not enjoy Archie Megaman's adaptions...story wasn't strong, too repeating, and had too much going on with bad pacing. Heard Ian was going to change the formula later but it ended before that so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sonic's adaption is a hit-or-miss, personally disliked unleashed but Fighters was fun, was looking forward to Colors pre-cancellation.

I think adaptions will work if handled correctly, if the writer can keep what was good in the game in the comic and make it better. Guess we just have to see how IDW does. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm the only person in the world that liked the Mega Man adaptations apparently. Anyway I'm almost certain they're just going to set it after Forces with any future Game being maybe led into by an issue or arc or Miniseries.

Also find it weird people act like the Shattered World Crisis wasn't mostly original with the Unleashed Adaptation being more of a backdrop.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just didn't give a toss about Archie Mega Man. Not because I thought it was bad, I just have no interest in the Blue Bomber. 

Yeah, it was more original stuff than actual direct adaptation (I thought it deviated too much at certain points in fact, but that's a whole topic in of itself that I don't want to flare up here), but it was the comic's official Unleashed adaptation all the same. 

10 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Which IDW series' art style would you prefer for the new comics?

Ben Bates, if you please.

latest?cb=20130705202113

ed18ee3d3160c8328cd94d31ea55ee44.jpg

tumblr_lyun2zDaSz1rnsvazo1_500.png

He was one of the most expressive artists that we got in Archie, and I believe he's still with IDW. I don't know what kind of assignments he's working on right now, but if he could manage a few issues with IDW's Sonic...oh boy. That would be a treat.

• Thumbs Up 4