Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

10 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

I agree but i kinda feel this is the nature of this kind of first year

" Here's everyone"

" Here's them fighting a bad " 

We will get cool complications later , I hope at least. And better and a bit more depth characterizations

No, no, no, noooooooooooooo. I'm tired of this 'it'll get better later; excuse. That's exactly the way companies suck money out of our pockets.

And read your post again. Here is what you wrote.

Person A: Geez, the plot is disappointingly repetitive.

Person B: Yes, but that's what was in previous issues as well, so we should accept it. And if we obediently eat it up then maybe, just maybe, we'll get something better later.

Even if that's true (IDW TMNT was embarrassingly slow at first and got better), I'm still annoyed.

OK, few more thoughts about issue

Spoiler

1) I do hate how characters need to talk about everything. Last time they needed to loudly explain that Blaze will go Burning, and this time they warned us that Shadow will join the fight with Metal, in both cases diminishing the surprise.

It's as if Flynn said "Well, most of the readers guesses that anyway, so might as well confirm it".

2) So apparently Metal going Overlord has a 'recipe'

Neo Metal + power(Sonic x Shadow x Chaos data {froggy or ME belly button piercing}) = M.... Overlord.

I kinda assumed the recipe is Power + More Power + Even More Power. I won't loose sleep over it, but it really renders going Super meaningless.

3) And just not to be the grump and say something positive... well, fights do look really sweet. Shadow beating Neo has a nice efficiency/brutality to it. Does Shadow actually shoot laser(fire blast) from his shoe on last panel or is it just strong kick? Former would be cool. (just wish it was slightly longer. If Metal countered at least one blow it would make punch-out more satisfying).

I have mixed feelings about Overlord.

It would have been better if the next issue is everybody teaming up against Super Neo Metal Sonic, an overpowered hate-filled, ambitious Sonic replica,

instead of fighting a giant dragon...

7 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

(IDW TMNT was embarrassingly slow at first and got better)

Even when it was kind of slow year one, I thought TMNT was a lot more interesting than Sonic's first year. Better plot and overall pacing to move the story along per issue, with at least one new thing happening to help with that (Sonic's been a little samey for me, but in fairness, TMNT was also supported by its Micro-Series really early on). I feel like we could drop at least three or four issues from this current run and the story would remain intact while moving at a better pace (I'd say mostly #2-4 since I can't remember what happened in what issue after that, other than Metal Sonic in #7).

Bums me out that Ian's plotting here hasn't hooked me; it reminds me a little too much of the Archie book's last year (main book anyway) and stuff like "Mega Drive"; we get great characterization, dialogue, and art, but the plot feels repetitive and like it's not really progressing. "Battle for Angel Island" actually seems like it's going to make up for that somewhat, but once this arc ends, I can't see myself keeping up with this book outside of the occasional trade--which might be an overall better format than the monthly.

Just now, Marco9966 said:

This is Ian Flynn's response when asked about Master Orvelord:

What do you think ???

Professional writer behaves like a professional writer.

Ian's always had a good attitude about this sort of thing.

• Thumbs Up 5

2 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

Professional writer behaves like a professional writer.

Ian's always had a good attitude about this sort of thing.

Yeah but shouldn't he write about something he likes instead of feeling forced to write something he doesn't like?

1 minute ago, Marco9966 said:

Yeah but shouldn't he write about something he likes instead of feeling forced to write something he doesn't like?

Who says he's being forced? This is his job, and keeping the broader fanbase in mind is important. If he didn't want to do it he could publish an indie and still enjoy quite a bit of success.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Zaysho said:

Who says he's being forced? This is his job, and keeping the broader fanbase in mind is important. If he didn't want to do it he could publish an indie and still enjoy quite a bit of success.

No I mean just the Metal Overlord form.

But yeah it's good to keep the fans's satisfaction in focus.

You know I'm so depressed with the smash news, I'll take some positive news about Shadow in this comic over nothing in other video games. I guess I overestimated how beloved Shadow was enough to star in a triple a nintendo title with sonic as a cast, you know he's been hyped but I felt it was nothing but unfounded. Shadow just isn't a high priority in Sonic anymore, to the point I think Iizuka doesn't care about him compared to Sonic nowadays.

Anyway spoilers,

I'm glad that Shadow help Sonic and Knuckles turn the tide of the fight against metal. And I'm certain Rouge and Amy both hyped Sonic and Shadow respectively in their own conversation. Shadow making a mistake is honestly refreshing, he can have the ability to do stupid stuff but at least he made up for it by teaming up with Sonic and Knuckles.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

You know I'm so depressed with the smash news, I'll take some positive news about Shadow in this comic over nothing in other video games. I guess I overestimated how beloved Shadow was enough to star in a triple a nintendo title with sonic as a cast, you know he's been hyped but I felt it was nothing but unfounded. Shadow just isn't a high priority in Sonic anymore, to the point I think Iizuka doesn't care about him compared to Sonic nowadays.

Anyway spoilers,[spoilers] I'm glad that Shadow help Sonic and Knuckles turn the tide of the fight against metal. And I'm certain Rouge and Amy both hyped Sonic and Shadow respectively in their own conversation[/spoilers]

Shadow was drawn so well here:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DqwnIvlU4AIRbwU.jpghttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/DqwnIvkV4AEre9y.jpg

1 minute ago, Marco9966 said:

No I mean just the Metal Overlord form.

Still applies. You made it sound like he was being forced to write something he doesn't like, which isn't true.

1 minute ago, Zaysho said:

Still applies. You made it sound like he was being forced to write something he doesn't like, which isn't true.

At least Metal Overlord's inclusion makes for fun theories as to why he has this form, perhaps Shadow's Black Arms blood, or Chaos's presence in the ME.

52 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

Anyway spoilers,

Reveal hidden contents

I'm glad that Shadow help Sonic and Knuckles turn the tide of the fight against metal. And I'm certain Rouge and Amy both hyped Sonic and Shadow respectively in their own conversation. Shadow making a mistake is honestly refreshing, he can have the ability to do stupid stuff but at least he made up for it by teaming up with Sonic and Knuckles.

You realize it's Sakurai who has the final say on who gets in right?

Just now, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Didn't Sakurai say Sega had the say so on who gets in the game, if not then Sakurai has no love for Sonic outside of the title character.

1 hour ago, Dash Speed said:

Didn't Sakurai say Sega had the say so on who gets in the game, if not then Sakurai has no love for Sonic outside of the title character.

He's not obligated to appease every single fan request. Get over it and move on 

1 hour ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I'm talking about it to someone in the smash thread, and on another site

This might be on sega. 

Even still , it sucks but dash speed probably shouldn't be bringing this into the iDW thread?

12 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I'm talking about it to someone in the smash thread, and on another site

This might be on sega. 

Even still , it sucks but dash speed probably shouldn't be bringing this into the iDW thread?

Im not bringing it. The issue had Shadow in it, but I felt it was also appropiate to bring Shadow non inclusion in smash the very day this issue came out.

32 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

He's not obligated to appease every single fan request. Get over it and move on 

Not fan request, the Sega request. Or maybe Sega has no real care other than Sonic as a playable character

Did anyone else have an problem with the pages coming out of the book and being printed in the wrong order for this issue?

15 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

Did anyone else have an problem with the pages coming out of the book and being printed in the wrong order for this issue?

...no?

20 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

Im not bringing it. The issue had Shadow in it, but I felt it was also appropiate to bring Shadow non inclusion in smash the very day this issue came out.

Not fan request, the Sega request. Or maybe Sega has no real care other than Sonic as a playable character

....let's just talk about that in the SSMB thread, okay? 

While it may be related, being upset about it will bring counter-arguments and reactions related to Smash, which is off-topic here. 

11 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

No, no, no, noooooooooooooo. I'm tired of this 'it'll get better later; excuse. That's exactly the way companies suck money out of our pockets.

And read your post again. Here is what you wrote.

Person A: Geez, the plot is disappointingly repetitive.

Person B: Yes, but that's what was in previous issues as well, so we should accept it. And if we obediently eat it up then maybe, just maybe, we'll get something better later.

Even if that's true (IDW TMNT was embarrassingly slow at first and got better), I'm still annoyed.

OK, few more thoughts about issue

Hide contents

1) I do hate how characters need to talk about everything. Last time they needed to loudly explain that Blaze will go Burning, and this time they warned us that Shadow will join the fight with Metal, in both cases diminishing the surprise.

It's as if Flynn said "Well, most of the readers guesses that anyway, so might as well confirm it".

2) So apparently Metal going Overlord has a 'recipe'

Neo Metal + power(Sonic x Shadow x Chaos data {froggy or ME belly button piercing}) = M.... Overlord.

I kinda assumed the recipe is Power + More Power + Even More Power. I won't loose sleep over it, but it really renders going Super meaningless.

3) And just not to be the grump and say something positive... well, fights do look really sweet. Shadow beating Neo has a nice efficiency/brutality to it. Does Shadow actually shoot laser(fire blast) from his shoe on last panel or is it just strong kick? Former would be cool. (just wish it was slightly longer. If Metal countered at least one blow it would make punch-out more satisfying).

"Person B: Yes, but that's what was in previous issues as well, so we should accept it. And if we obediently eat it up then maybe, just maybe, we'll get something better later."

Not saying that, what I am saying is that, once baseline established we can start doing crazy shit with the baseline. Hopefully. If you don't like it, don't buy it. I'll still tell you don't buy issue 6. But understanding what the author and the company behind the author wants to do isn't eating it up, its just understanding the possible bigger picture. 

I don't know if this was ever confirmed, but I think remember the explanation for the fire coming out of shadows boots is him just chaos boosting himself forward. I mean he's shot blasts out of his hands, its not unfounded. 

3 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

What do you think ???

That's how writers should be. Ian ain't perfect but his professionalism is one of the reasons I love the man. He writes stuff because he knows he has a job, and has fans outside of himself. And a writer/artist/ whoever who can apply that to their craft is fantastic. 

Otherwise you would get Writer based favoritism, and shitting on depending. And I am very familiar with the latter, marvel is just starting to apologize kind of for what they did to the x-men and moreso cyclcops. And I don't even like cyclops but the head writer and some others just decided cyclops was bad and tried to make him bad ( I mean they failed and it actually made him popular an a meme came out of it ). 

The point of that ancedote is, write favoritism in the positive and negative direction is bad. And you can sit there and pretend it might not happen to your character, but it could happen to your character and it will suck because the writer just hates your character. 

So I, personally, would prefer people who can actually be professional. This is ontop of , sega's probs talking about what should or shouldn't be used ( though he said they were more lenient on more overarching stories ) 

3 hours ago, Zaysho said:

Even when it was kind of slow year one, I thought TMNT was a lot more interesting than Sonic's first year. Better plot and overall pacing to move the story along per issue, with at least one new thing happening to help with that (Sonic's been a little samey for me, but in fairness, TMNT was also supported by its Micro-Series really early on). I feel like we could drop at least three or four issues from this current run and the story would remain intact while moving at a better pace (I'd say mostly #2-4 since I can't remember what happened in what issue after that, other than Metal Sonic in #7).

Bums me out that Ian's plotting here hasn't hooked me; it reminds me a little too much of the Archie book's last year (main book anyway) and stuff like "Mega Drive"; we get great characterization, dialogue, and art, but the plot feels repetitive and like it's not really progressing. "Battle for Angel Island" actually seems like it's going to make up for that somewhat, but once this arc ends, I can't see myself keeping up with this book outside of the occasional trade--which might be an overall better format than the monthly.

This isn't just a response to you but @MetalSkulkBane bane and a few others that had similar opinions , but I feel like this is the fault of the brand and starting a new book. There was one of 3 ways for this story to go and they were all called out like day 1. And it looks like it might be a combination of 2 of the 3, but it still falls in line with what was predicted. And why was it so predictable and seem so slow? Because sonic doesn't have any other villains they are keeping around, and its super early in the book so they couldn't make one or make a mystery around it that long and involved because I feel like a lot of the sonic fanbase might not care for that in year one. 

Now if it continues past this point, we will have issues. But I feel like its just the format and the brand. I'm sure there be faster paced more exciting and mysterious stories in the future with villains we can't guess immediately. Or if they guessed its like a Shadow and Knuckles situation where the point is them hanging out and becoming friends rather than the villian itself. 

I'm just gonna give it time

• Fist Bump 1

4 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

What do you think ???

Well duh. I mean I think this is just the obvious response. 

He also kept using Scratch, Grounder and Coconuts as well as introduced Breezie in Archie even though he doesn’t care for AoStH iirc.

• Fist Bump 4