Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

9 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I'm still liking this arc, but I can't help but be a bit underwhelmed by this issue's cliffhanger.

I agree but i kinda feel this is the nature of this kind of first year

" Here's everyone"

" Here's them fighting a bad " 

We will get cool complications later , I hope at least. And better and a bit more ddepthy characterizations 

Knuckles was amazing right before the comic the last comic ending

Now that I've actually gotten access to this issue, I can talk about it and/or reply to some of these.

Spoiler

Yeah, this did feel like somewhat poorly organized/paced filler.

Master Overlord is just...uhh.....

Also, don't like how Ms. Stanley draws Knuckles. Shadow and even Sonic looked fine, though.

And I liked that nonchalant stretch n slap.

18 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Hide contents

Also, something is happening with Mr. Tinker. "Doc", huh? I swear, those Megaman crossovers are getting persistent. Ok, more realistically I'm guessing that:

Hide contents

Nega is coming. We could assume real Eggman is kidnapping his phantom clone, but dialogue suggest otherwise.

13 hours ago, I Love Sticks said:

This was somehow better than 9, because that was more strategy and characters interactions oriented, this one had things happen, if you think about it:

Hide contents

- And let's not forget Mr Tinker getting kidnapped by those skunk bros.

So all of this happened, that's a lot, plus Rough and Tumble talk about the "Doc", could Eggman Nega be finally joining the comics?

]

Well, that'd definitely answer my previous question about their color coordination.

10 hours ago, Diogenes said:

I'm really just...kinda rolling my eyes at this whole thing.

Hide contents

And then Shadow deus ex machinas his way into a combo on a guy Sonic and Knuckles together couldn't even touch. I don't know if they meant for Shadow's Chaos Spear (which is now a melee weapon rather than a projectile for some reason?) to cancel Metal's super form or if Metal had a Mecha Sonic style time limit and he just happened to run out or what...it just feels kind of cheap. Small amount of credit for this ultimately making things worse rather than solving the problem, at least.

It was like that in Archie a number of times.

9 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Hide contents

But the Master Emerald contains Chaos, so that explains the dragon form.

Okay, that'd somewhat explain it.

9 hours ago, Diogenes said:

In that case,

Hide contents

What is the "limitation" that Metal no longer has, that Shadow expected would have prevented him from transforming? Everyone knew he had the Master Emerald and Sonic's data, and Shadow wasn't worried about Metal getting his data. If the Master Emerald could be used as a source for Chaos' data, then what sets this apart from what happened in Heroes? Was Tails' data essential to transforming too, or what?

Yeah, I hope they clarify that next time.

9 hours ago, I Love Sticks said:
  Hide contents

Honestly I would have been annoyed if Metal had the old transformations again, but these are unique, they are brand new and they pay homage to Super Mecha Sonic and Metal Overlord. It's not Heroes again, I don't recall seeing Angel Island in that, and I don't recall having Super Sonic here. I would also been annoyed if Metal didn't have his final form and played his trump card so early.

Still could've been something less interchangeable or derpy looking.

Alright, after a fun Halloween I've read the issue and I do believe Issue 10 might be the first time I've left an issue feeling, on the whole, rather disappointed.

Like I've said before, Ian would be perfect for writing the games. The way he writes banter between the characters makes for some really good stuff and in a game, the parts where you fight random mooks would just act as regular gameplay. Unfortunately, this is a comic and the issue that the old Archie book used to have is rearing its head again. In the issues leading up to this one, I came out liking them a lot despite the influx of fight scenes because they clearly weren't about the fights. The majority of them were very character and dialogue focused, with the fights at the end acting as a cherry on top. Here though, we've met everyone and now they're all clustered together in this huge group where they can't efficiently share screen time. Well, they could if the arc was longer and the characters were supposed to have more focus on the individual tasks they're pulling off. It worked when they did get that focus though. The scene with Blaze was well-done and there was a cute background joke with Vector and Tangle after Tails had his hero moment. Not much else though.

The fights usually tend to work better when they're not just scattered panels of characters doing things that we know have no real consequence. My favorite issue so far, in fact, is Issue #7 which was nothing but one really awesome fight. I gushed all over that thing because the art was fantastic and the thing it was setting up was something I was fully onboard for. However, the main thing I praised it for (which is the same thing I praised the fight Sonic and Megaman had against Metal Sonic and Base) was the fact that it lasted the entire issue. Because of it, it was allowed to be the thing we were focusing on and as such it came off as a cool as fuck fight.

The fight with Super Neo began alright here... but then it cut away. It really shouldn't have cut away. This entire issue, or at least vast majority of it, really should have just been Sonic and Knuckles fighting this guy like it was back in Issue 7. If you give the fight more time to breathe, it gets more time to feel climatic and it's a lot easier to follow. Watching the build-up to a climax makes things feel more satisfying to me. I understand wanting to make it feel more like a war effort on the part of the others but perhaps that would have worked better had the others been facing a more clearly defined threat themselves. Perhaps give Metal this one specific monster ship that's made up of a bunch of other smaller ships or something and it's wrecking everyone's shit. Then you start it off with Tails getting an idea. Then you SHOW everyone helping Tails reach the control room. Show how it ended up with just him and Silver being there to hold them off. Then give them a pay off by having him do the Star Wars thing and blow up the Monster ship. Provide a personified threat that's worthy of cutting away from Super Neo, otherwise it's gonna feel like filler.

That's why so many Shonen Manga have sub-bosses for other characters to fight. That's why the CP9 wasn't just Rob Lucci. That's why the Ginyu Force wasn't just Captain Ginyu. That's why Team Togoro wasn't just Younger Togoro.

It also helps to not make the main fight not feel like it's just another thing lost in the fold. It's hard to sell me on Super Neo when even the bruises and scuffs Sonic and Knuckles had at the start of the fight just disappear when we cut back to them. Not to mention, most of what they were doing was skipped over in favor of stuff that literally didn't matter. Some of it did. Most of it didn't.

I liked the scene with Mr. Tinker. It legitimately makes me sad knowing that his ways of bringing happiness to children cannot last. I love Dr. Eggman as the mad man he is but goddammit, if only he and Mr. Tinker could exist at the same time.

As for the ending, that was probably the strangest part for me. I'm not sure why Shadow's disappearance was played up so much if he was just going to surprise attack the big bad like that. Plus, if he left before everyone else, wouldn't he have gotten there first? Unless it's revealed that he actually left to do something else first then I'm really confused as to what Shadow's deal was there. 

I'm also not sure why or how a Chaos Spear to the chest knocked him out of his Super Form. I guess Chaos energy can just do that...?

I also don't know why we're doing Master Overlord. It's Metal Overlord, except it's got Derp-legs and a name that absolutely does not roll off the tongue well. Also, Ian thinks the Metal Overlord is stupid. Why is he doing this?

Super Neo Metal Sonic was a cool idea. It was goofy but it was appropriately goofy for Sonic. Plus, the coolest fight in this series so far happened with Sonic and Neo Metal Sonic in his regular form. Unless he's got something to seriously blow me away next issue, I don't see the benefit to him making himself a bigger target. 

I'd have probably had the issue focus more on Sonic and Knuckles fighting him in his Super Form and a few scenes of everyone else taking care of the issues that necessitated more focus. Then perhaps Sonic and Knuckles could get blown back a bit and everyone hurries over to lend them aid in an "Everyone vs. Great Ape Vegeta" moment. Again, it'd probably need to be a bit longer and more fleshed out for that to feel sufficient but I suppose there's a time crunch that isn't going to allow for that. Another thing that's always plagued the comics. All the more reason to keep the focus on what's important.

Not much more to say. I've actually been enjoying pretty much everything leading up to this climax but the climax itself isn't impressing me all that much.

10 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

I agree but i kinda feel this is the nature of this kind of first year

" Here's everyone"

" Here's them fighting a bad " 

We will get cool complications later , I hope at least. And better and a bit more depth characterizations

No, no, no, noooooooooooooo. I'm tired of this 'it'll get better later; excuse. That's exactly the way companies suck money out of our pockets.

And read your post again. Here is what you wrote.

Person A: Geez, the plot is disappointingly repetitive.

Person B: Yes, but that's what was in previous issues as well, so we should accept it. And if we obediently eat it up then maybe, just maybe, we'll get something better later.

Even if that's true (IDW TMNT was embarrassingly slow at first and got better), I'm still annoyed.

OK, few more thoughts about issue

Spoiler

1) I do hate how characters need to talk about everything. Last time they needed to loudly explain that Blaze will go Burning, and this time they warned us that Shadow will join the fight with Metal, in both cases diminishing the surprise.

It's as if Flynn said "Well, most of the readers guesses that anyway, so might as well confirm it".

2) So apparently Metal going Overlord has a 'recipe'

Neo Metal + power(Sonic x Shadow x Chaos data {froggy or ME belly button piercing}) = M.... Overlord.

I kinda assumed the recipe is Power + More Power + Even More Power. I won't loose sleep over it, but it really renders going Super meaningless.

3) And just not to be the grump and say something positive... well, fights do look really sweet. Shadow beating Neo has a nice efficiency/brutality to it. Does Shadow actually shoot laser(fire blast) from his shoe on last panel or is it just strong kick? Former would be cool. (just wish it was slightly longer. If Metal countered at least one blow it would make punch-out more satisfying).

I have mixed feelings about Overlord.

It would have been better if the next issue is everybody teaming up against Super Neo Metal Sonic, an overpowered hate-filled, ambitious Sonic replica,

instead of fighting a giant dragon...

7 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

(IDW TMNT was embarrassingly slow at first and got better)

Even when it was kind of slow year one, I thought TMNT was a lot more interesting than Sonic's first year. Better plot and overall pacing to move the story along per issue, with at least one new thing happening to help with that (Sonic's been a little samey for me, but in fairness, TMNT was also supported by its Micro-Series really early on). I feel like we could drop at least three or four issues from this current run and the story would remain intact while moving at a better pace (I'd say mostly #2-4 since I can't remember what happened in what issue after that, other than Metal Sonic in #7).

Bums me out that Ian's plotting here hasn't hooked me; it reminds me a little too much of the Archie book's last year (main book anyway) and stuff like "Mega Drive"; we get great characterization, dialogue, and art, but the plot feels repetitive and like it's not really progressing. "Battle for Angel Island" actually seems like it's going to make up for that somewhat, but once this arc ends, I can't see myself keeping up with this book outside of the occasional trade--which might be an overall better format than the monthly.

2 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

Professional writer behaves like a professional writer.

Ian's always had a good attitude about this sort of thing.

Yeah but shouldn't he write about something he likes instead of feeling forced to write something he doesn't like?

1 minute ago, Marco9966 said:

Yeah but shouldn't he write about something he likes instead of feeling forced to write something he doesn't like?

Who says he's being forced? This is his job, and keeping the broader fanbase in mind is important. If he didn't want to do it he could publish an indie and still enjoy quite a bit of success.

1 minute ago, Zaysho said:

Who says he's being forced? This is his job, and keeping the broader fanbase in mind is important. If he didn't want to do it he could publish an indie and still enjoy quite a bit of success.

No I mean just the Metal Overlord form.

But yeah it's good to keep the fans's satisfaction in focus.

You know I'm so depressed with the smash news, I'll take some positive news about Shadow in this comic over nothing in other video games. I guess I overestimated how beloved Shadow was enough to star in a triple a nintendo title with sonic as a cast, you know he's been hyped but I felt it was nothing but unfounded. Shadow just isn't a high priority in Sonic anymore, to the point I think Iizuka doesn't care about him compared to Sonic nowadays.

Anyway spoilers,

I'm glad that Shadow help Sonic and Knuckles turn the tide of the fight against metal. And I'm certain Rouge and Amy both hyped Sonic and Shadow respectively in their own conversation. Shadow making a mistake is honestly refreshing, he can have the ability to do stupid stuff but at least he made up for it by teaming up with Sonic and Knuckles.

2 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

You know I'm so depressed with the smash news, I'll take some positive news about Shadow in this comic over nothing in other video games. I guess I overestimated how beloved Shadow was enough to star in a triple a nintendo title with sonic as a cast, you know he's been hyped but I felt it was nothing but unfounded. Shadow just isn't a high priority in Sonic anymore, to the point I think Iizuka doesn't care about him compared to Sonic nowadays.

Anyway spoilers,[spoilers] I'm glad that Shadow help Sonic and Knuckles turn the tide of the fight against metal. And I'm certain Rouge and Amy both hyped Sonic and Shadow respectively in their own conversation[/spoilers]

Shadow was drawn so well here:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DqwnIvlU4AIRbwU.jpghttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/DqwnIvkV4AEre9y.jpg

1 minute ago, Zaysho said:

Still applies. You made it sound like he was being forced to write something he doesn't like, which isn't true.

At least Metal Overlord's inclusion makes for fun theories as to why he has this form, perhaps Shadow's Black Arms blood, or Chaos's presence in the ME.

52 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

Anyway spoilers,

Reveal hidden contents

I'm glad that Shadow help Sonic and Knuckles turn the tide of the fight against metal. And I'm certain Rouge and Amy both hyped Sonic and Shadow respectively in their own conversation. Shadow making a mistake is honestly refreshing, he can have the ability to do stupid stuff but at least he made up for it by teaming up with Sonic and Knuckles.

You realize it's Sakurai who has the final say on who gets in right?

Just now, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Didn't Sakurai say Sega had the say so on who gets in the game, if not then Sakurai has no love for Sonic outside of the title character.

1 hour ago, Dash Speed said:

Didn't Sakurai say Sega had the say so on who gets in the game, if not then Sakurai has no love for Sonic outside of the title character.

He's not obligated to appease every single fan request. Get over it and move on 

1 hour ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I'm talking about it to someone in the smash thread, and on another site

This might be on sega. 

Even still , it sucks but dash speed probably shouldn't be bringing this into the iDW thread?

12 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I'm talking about it to someone in the smash thread, and on another site

This might be on sega. 

Even still , it sucks but dash speed probably shouldn't be bringing this into the iDW thread?

Im not bringing it. The issue had Shadow in it, but I felt it was also appropiate to bring Shadow non inclusion in smash the very day this issue came out.

32 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

He's not obligated to appease every single fan request. Get over it and move on 

Not fan request, the Sega request. Or maybe Sega has no real care other than Sonic as a playable character