Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Just now, Fire-N-Space said:

Well, I'm a fan of Amy so I want to see her do stuff and why can't there be a Sonic comic that stars Amy for once.    

Yeah, not like we had a issue where Amy was the main star or anything, teaming up with Sonic and exploring her character in more ways than just admiration for Sonic, or being generic leader. Not like an issue out there exists that shows more to her and her ways of playing off Sonic or anything.

But yes, how dare Amy not be the star in an arc resolving around Angel Island, and the Master Emerald. I mean, Amy out of all the cast just makes the most logical sense to be the main star of the arc, for we all know there isn't anyone else with a stronger connection to Angel Island and the Master Emerald. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Just now, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Yeah, not like we had a issue where Amy was the main star or anything, teaming up with Sonic and exploring her character in more ways than just admiration for Sonic, or being generic leader. Not like an issue out there exists that shows more to her and her ways of playing off Sonic or anything.

But yes, how dare Amy not be the star in an arc resolving around Angel Island, and the Master Emerald. I mean, Amy out of all the cast just makes the most logical sense to be the main star of the arc, for we all know there isn't anyone else with a stronger connection to Angel Island and the Master Emerald. 

Hmm Amy is the star of issue 2 so that's 1/10 and counting in Boom she starred in 6 / 104 episodes I hope the IDW comics star her in more issues than that show and not just talk about how mature or how she doesn't need Sonic in each issue but some say if she admires him a lot she would only be doing one thing....   

28 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Well, I'm a fan of Amy so I want to see her do stuff and why can't there be a Sonic comic that stars Amy for once.    

Because the title of the series is "Sonic the Hedgehog" not "Sonic & Amy".

What is with some of you being so obsessed with your favorite characters that you get some type of complex whenever they aren't onscreen. The world isn't going to end because Shadow/Amy/whoever the fuck isn't onscreen doing stuff every time.

• Thumbs Up 4

20 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

What is with some of you being so obsessed with your favorite characters that you get some type of complex whenever they aren't onscreen. The world isn't going to end because Shadow/Amy/whoever the fuck isn't onscreen doing stuff every time.

I dunno....speaking from Tails crew, literally anything is better than the games.....so we don't really got as much to be upset about? Issue 1 alone did better than the last 10 years or so.....excluding Archie.

This is really a Knuckles thing more than anything else. Ain't he like Flynn's favourite? Hell in my own opinion the roster is waaaay too stacked for this. I'd suggest removing most of the characters and have them remain as protectors of the villages they were at so we could develop others better. There's too many which really shows with the lack of most of the characters having barely a motivation/driving force that isn't generic heroics.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

because we've spent the better part of a decade with games where they didn't do shit

1 hour ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Because they want to see the character they like

And the character they like doesn't show up in the games often enough for them to be satisfied

So it isn't about the world ending, its about the content sonic is putting out

I like Knuckles, you don't see me throwing a bitch fit any time he's not onscreen for an extended period of time.

There's a clear difference between being dismayed that your favorite character hasn't been seen much lately, and complaining that they are not onscreen doing anything regardless of the context. There's more to storytelling than simply seeing your favorite character onscreen and if that's honestly your primary and only reason for sticking with the series, then you're honestly better off just sticking with fan content because it's ludicrous to believe that any moment that's not spent on your favorite character is "wasted". Not only is that supremely shortsighted, it's incredibly reductive to what the series is about. 

• Thumbs Up 5

14 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I like Knuckles, you don't see me throwing a bitch fit any time he's not onscreen for an extended period of time.

14 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

There's a clear difference between being dismayed that your favorite character hasn't been seen much lately, and complaining that they are not onscreen doing anything regardless of the context. There's more to storytelling than simply seeing your favorite character onscreen and if that's honestly your primary and only reason for sticking with the series, then you're honestly better off just sticking with fan content because it's ludicrous to believe that any moment that's not spent on your favorite character is "wasted". Not only is that supremely shortsighted, it's incredibly reductive to what the series is about. 

I agree with sentiment

All i'm saying is, that's why. I would actually go a bit further than you though.

9 hours ago, Fire-N-Space said:

IDW Sonic issue 10 wasn't exciting Amy didn't do much and the fighting in it was poor. Ian Flynn said he's writing this book for everyone but changed Amy to love Sonic less so I believe what he said was a lie.

Sorry to be harsh, he in fact wrote the comic for everyone, not to appeal to some obsessed Amy fan who wants her to be an angry fangirl.

Amy did plenty of stuff in issue 2 and 9, and she says "I love you" to Sonic in issue 2. That seems enough to make Amy fans happy.

I love Sticks, and she is nowhere to be seen here, am I angry at Ian Flynn? Nope, I love this comic book, and Sticks isn't the only thing I care about.

• Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, I Love Sticks said:

Sorry to be harsh, he in fact wrote the comic for everyone, not to appeal to some obsessed Amy fan who wants her to be an angry fangirl.

Amy did plenty of stuff in issue 2 and 9, and she says "I love you" to Sonic in issue 2. That seems enough to make Amy fans happy.

I love Sticks, and she is nowhere to be seen here, am I angry at Ian Flynn? Nope, I love this comic book, and Sticks isn't the only thing I care about. 

He said on Bumblekast she can appear only if SEGA agrees. I wish we can see her someday fit in the modern continuity.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't see how Amy simply proclaiming her love for Sonic once is enough to satisfy the hardcore fan...she should be more in your face aggressive about it and just pretty obnoxious.

The usual.

I like how nice Mr. Tinker seems to be. I'm really interested to see what happens next to him.

On 11/3/2018 at 9:16 AM, Marco9966 said:

Issue 11 covers!

B--vG0pI6AccPFOw156qfG5SgTm9c6J0IMrcm7X1

Love 'em.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Do you just read this book to see Amy do stuff, because there's more stuff going on than whatever Amy is doing...

To Sonic Boom 2's credit, that's seems to be what half of the fans read these books for--to see their favorites do stuff and be them.

7 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

I dunno....speaking from Tails crew, literally anything is better than the games.....so we don't really got as much to be upset about? Issue 1 alone did better than the last 10 years or so.....excluding Archie.

This is really a Knuckles thing more than anything else. Ain't he like Flynn's favourite? Hell in my own opinion the roster is waaaay too stacked for this. I'd suggest removing most of the characters and have them remain as protectors of the villages they were at so we could develop others better. There's too many which really shows with the lack of most of the characters having barely a motivation/driving force that isn't generic heroics.

Yeah, in terms of the plot thus far, only Sonic, Knuckles, Blaze, and Shadow were actually needed to be in any prominence thus far.

Like, Tails, Amy, and to an extent Silver and Rouge make sense as tagalongs on the side, but Team Chaotix has had little to do in general.

Just makes Cream&Cheese, Gemerl, and Omega's omissions feel even more understandable.

10 hours ago, Fire-N-Space said:

IDW Sonic issue 10 wasn't exciting Amy didn't do much and the fighting in it was poor. Ian Flynn said he's writing this book for everyone but changed Amy to love Sonic less so I believe what he said was a lie.

Well, that issue did end with a variation of Metal Overlord, so....

Personally, I've got a more comprehensive list of why I feel issue 10 is the worst IDW Sonic issue so far. TL;DR it feels like nothing at all has happened. 

-So Silver and the Chaotix could probably be cut from proceedings with little to no consequences. Espio and Charmy have literally had nothing to do in this arc so far. Vector's had a little more, but all those have been are a single conversation with Knuckles that didn't show off any interesting character interaction (and was made redundant by everything going to shit two seconds later) and a background gag which did not rely on him being there to work (contrary to what someone suggested earlier, there was no interesting dynamic made between Vector and Tangle at all. You could replace Vector with anyone and get the same result because the gag punchline was "Tangle has a wild way of doing things that others may be thrown by"). Silver's arguably had the most that actually tied to his character due to the card scene being more reliant on his personality, but it was still a very minor part and I don't even remember him being in issue 10. And issue 10 is what compounds the feeling of them being flotsam in this arc. 

-Blaze's stuff went nowhere. It'd be one thing if the end of her segment implied there was more to it but...it doesn't. In fact, it implies that's her done for the arc. And all she did as Burning is shoot off a wing (with flying craft still under it, so won't it just stay up there?). That was...unnecessary.

-The dialogue felt more like direct exposition than character interaction this time, so it was a lot more stilted than last issue. One of the standouts to me is actually one most people probably would just pass right over. Rouge commenting on the fact that while Tails' plan was successful, she wouldn't have minded more heads up in the future, and Amy's response is "Well, he was practically raised by Sonic, and he's not known for his patience". Like, yeah, Rouge probably knows that by now, she's known everyone long enough. She doesn't need a mini-exposition on Tails and Sonic's characters to lodge a comment about the tactics used. Plus, I thought Tails was known to be pretty patient in comparison to Sonic? Even Lost World got that right. 

-The fight scenes just weren't very exciting. You have one team doing their thing with basically zero obstacles, Blaze doing her thing with basically zero obstacles, and then there's the Sonic and Knuckles fight which should be more interesting...but is basically a curb-stomp battle with them being beat around until Shadow shows up and manages to subdue Super Neo Metal Sonic really quickly. That doesn't really make for exciting reading (although it is the only bit with more interesting character interaction). Especially when the net result is...

-Master Overlord is dumb. I was okay with Metal Overlord to be honest, because while being very out there, it was justified within the context of the game as to how and why it would happen. Here's it's treated as a generic powerup form that's somehow more powerful than his super state with none of the logic behind it for what appears to be the sake of glorifying the importance of a relic Sonic Team haven't seen fit to use in over a decade. Plus the idea that this is just Metal Overlord with some excess bits is also dumb. He also means the super state that last issue teased was basically pointless.

-The Mister Tinker bit was about the best part because it was something intriguing at least. 

Anyway, eating some lunch now. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

We're running into the typical problem Ian has when it comes to writing...his plotting tends to be very boring.

The lack of buildup to this arc and most of the cast feeling superfluous just makes the whole thing...bleh.

13 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

We're running into the typical problem Ian has when it comes to writing...his plotting tends to be very boring.

The lack of buildup to this arc and most of the cast feeling superfluous just makes the whole thing...bleh.

Next time I want a simple adventure with Sonic and just 2 other characters.

I don't want to invalidate your guys' criticisms as they're valid. I still like the issue, but I can see why you guys feel differently. 

20 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Next time I want a simple adventure with Sonic and just 2 other characters.

Maybe one of them being Rouge given how she doesn't get much interaction with the other characters. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just got through issue 10 and the Metal Overlord transformation totally reminded me of this beast.neca_alien_queen_aliens__xenomorph_queen_ultra_deluxe_boxed_action_figure_1508396959_9fd3a97d.thumb.jpg.2e50913810e9159b573c8eb30ab06804.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, I Love Sticks said:

Writing for everyone means everyone not I only write for the people I agree with or it the fans call them obsessed. "Angry fangirl" is so not Amy I even can't see how those words fit her in anyway and that's good enough is a very bad way to think at a job. Sticks was made for Boom she's not a part of this.

Just now, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Knuckles is doing something in most of IDW, the games, and Boom and he gets to be himself not having to mature or grow up if Amy got that amount of spotlight I would not be worried.  

2 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Writing for everyone means everyone not I only write for the people I agree with or it the fans call them obsessed. "Angry fangirl" is so not Amy I even can't see how those words fit her in anyway and that's good enough is a very bad way to think at a job. Sticks was made for Boom she's not a part of this.

Knuckles is doing something in most of IDW, the games, and Boom and he gets to be himself not having to mature or grow up if Amy got that amount of spotlight I would not be worried.  

What do you want to see Amy do?

I would assume they wanna see Amy do..."something"...which is asking an awful lot. Since she usually does nothing, less than nothing even.

That's very interesting.

3 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

I would assume they wanna see Amy do..."something"...which is asking an awful lot. Since she usually does nothing, less than nothing even.

That's very interesting.

There's no way we can satisfy fans of every single character when all of them are in the same story. But Flynn still did a good job of giving a moment for each one.

Future stories with less characters will give them more focus.

1 hour ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Yea, because the current arc takes place on his island and the main villain is targeting something he guards, no fucking shit he's going to play a major role here. Knuckles didn't do anymore than Amy in Forces, and both of them get about the same screentime in Boom. So what the hell is this imaginary thing you made up that apparently Amy "gets no screentime."  When the plot concerns Amy, then she will be important. So why are you complaining now about Amy in an arc that has nothing to do with her?

• Thumbs Up 6