Jump to content
Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Dash Speed said:

Anyone who thinks Knuckles or Amy is more unfairly treated than Shadow is demented. Due to the fact Shadow is barely in sonics narrative and basically serving as a optional role that does nothing important in the bog picture 

Can you chill with the fanboyism? Also, don't call people demented for thinking differently about a game franchise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Quote

I mean, in terms of the ascension she got in Adventure 1, yeah somewhat, but that both still doesn't tell us much about her and doesn't have much bearing on the Classic era(or arguably, any game since).

The Classic era had cities too that's why Amy had a car Sonic & Sega All Star Racing had her driving her car and as Sonic saved the world in 1, 2, & 3 Amy was stuck in the city.

 

Quote

Oh yeah, the Cards! Something that unfortunately doesn't get referenced/used much, nor expanded from.

Sonic Chronicles the Dark Brotherhood and its how Amy always knows where Sonic is.

 

Quote

To be fair, the same could be said for anyone besides the Chaotix, Rouge, Blaze(from what I recall), and Silver. And then, most of them have more stuff that can be tapped into.

No, Chaotix still work as a team using their detective skills, Blaze still can turn super, and Silver still comes from the future they don't have more to be tapped in to they just get tapped If Amy loves Sonic in anyway it gets call to much and doing one thing. 

 

Quote

Uh, maybe I'm just not remembering some stuff, but I swear Boom!Amy was consistently given far more appearances and roles in episodes than Tails, Sticks, and maybe even Knuckles throughout the show.

Then I would love to see that most of the time Amy is only in a episode for like 3 minutes.

 

Quote

That may have some truth to it, but it's still fairly limited.

Especially since that goal will almost never happen by necessity.

Sonic never stops Eggman he comes back stronger, Shadow never forgets his past, Knuckles never can be with the other Echidna, and Vector can never make big money there all limited its how you use them that matters and Amy's hardly gets used.

 

Just now, StaticMania said:

Where are you getting this from? Certainly not the Sonic CD manual, because this part here just sounds like you're describing her opening of Sonic Adventure...

There both part of Amy's backstory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

The Classic era had cities too 

Station Square is not the same place as South Island, Westside Island, or Mirage Island.

Also, now that there are 2 distinct worlds for Sonic and Humans, we don't even know how or when Amy traveled to the other one.

Where is Amy from originally?

What was she doing before and after she got a place in Station Square?

How does she afford a place in Station Square? She can't always be running and traveling the world after Sonic without money to buy and pay for basic necessities.

17 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Sonic Chronicles the Dark Brotherhood

is mostly a combo of the games, Sonic X, and the Archie Comic mythos put in a blender, with some odd herbs and spices thrown in without proper research.

24 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

No, Chaotix still work as a team using their detective skills

To be honest, besides Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog, we've mostly seen them alone individually in the games. Although Charmy gets less screen time and playability than Vector and Espio, they've still managed to show a lot of character.

34 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Blaze still can turn super

Blaze is our ongoing royalty character in the series. She has her own strengths, weaknesses, and goals despite having a similar role to Knuckles.

Also, the whole alter dimension thing hasn't pulled her down much.

36 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Silver still comes from the future

His future is changing so much that I'm not even sure if Silver will ever be able to live in a peaceful time at all.

While the whole "Iblis Trigger!" thing can come as annoying, that never really came back.

41 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

If Amy loves Sonic in anyway it gets call to much and doing one thing. 

In most of the games, since Sonic Adventure, Amy's appearance always starts with her coming in to hug Sonic and then immediately asking him for a date or to marry him.

In the first cutscene of Sonic Generations, Modern Sonic is holding her back with one hand while talking to Modern Tails. Heck, they even made a running joke of it where she mistakes other hedgehogs for Sonic.

In the Genesis Era, she only does this twice: in Sonic CD and her ending in Sonic Drift.

I don't know many people in real life that love having their personal space being invaded or loved being asked the same question multiple times over the course of 15+ years.

If you notice, no one complains about her portrayal in Lost World and Forces because she actually stops being clingy. Heck, she doesn't even come off this way in Sonic Adventure.

56 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Then I would love to see that most of the time Amy is only in a episode for like 3 minutes.

Why should Amy appear for 20% of an episode over the other characters?

1 hour ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Sonic never stops Eggman he comes back stronger

Sonic always stops Eggman

1 hour ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Shadow never forgets his past

In the true ending of Shadow the Hedgehog, Shadow chose to leave the past behind him

1 hour ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Knuckles never can be with the other Echidna

because he's the last one.

1 hour ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Vector can never make big money

because despite loving and needing money, he knows its not the most important thing in the world.

1 hour ago, Fire-N-Space said:

its how you use them that matters and Amy's hardly gets used.

If Sonic felt in love with someone else and became a couple with them and got married, but Amy was actually respectful to the relationship and backed off, how would you feel?

Would Amy feel like a character needed to be dropped or would she still have some narrative value? Or would you quit the series because the one thing you liked about a particular character doesn't and can't exist anymore?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fire-N-Space said:

 

 

The Classic era had cities too that's why Amy had a car Sonic & Sega All Star Racing had her driving her car and as Sonic saved the world in 1, 2, & 3 Amy was stuck in the city.

 

 

It had a few cities, but Amy had no explicit connection to them(that I know of).

 

Though thinking about it, I will concede that you're technically onto something. Especially giving a certain development regarding the world.

1 hour ago, Fire-N-Space said:

 

 

Sonic Chronicles the Dark Brotherhood and its how Amy always knows where Sonic is.

 

 

Makes sense.

1 hour ago, Fire-N-Space said:

 

 

No, Chaotix still work as a team using their detective skills, Blaze still can turn super, and Silver still comes from the future they don't have more to be tapped in to they just get tapped If Amy loves Sonic in anyway it gets call to much and doing one thing. 

 

 

Not sure what Burning Blaze has to do with this particular aspect, but sure.

Still, remember that those are mostly aspects that you can do a variety of things with creatively, while one character loving another in a particular way(in this case, determined/obsessive) isn't that palpable given the status quo.

1 hour ago, Fire-N-Space said:

 

 

 

Then I would love to see that most of the time Amy is only in a episode for like 3 minutes.

 

Mm...possibly?

Of 11 minute episodes...

1 hour ago, Fire-N-Space said:

 

 

 

Sonic never stops Eggman he comes back stronger, Shadow never forgets his past, Knuckles never can be with the other Echidna, and Vector can never make big money there all limited its how you use them that matters and Amy's hardly gets used.

 

That first one is kinda built in to the starter kit that spun off all of this stuff, so it inherently gets a pass. Plus, the stronger things is...debatable.

Not...quite...suuure what you're...getting at with Shadow there? So I get guess I'll just leave this here. 

Knuckles is fair enough, although compared to Amy, that has had a larger number of aversions and/or workarounds the years.

I honestly don't know what to say about Vector. He's not really that big a character despite his nonstandard design and distinctive character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sonictrainer said:

Station Square is not the same place as South Island, Westside Island, or Mirage Island.

Also, now that there are 2 distinct worlds for Sonic and Humans, we don't even know how or when Amy traveled to the other one.

Where is Amy from originally?

What was she doing before and after she got a place in Station Square?

How does she afford a place in Station Square? She can't always be running and traveling the world after Sonic without money to buy and pay for basic necessities.

In most of the games, since Sonic Adventure, Amy's appearance always starts with her coming in to hug Sonic and then immediately asking him for a date or to marry him.

In the first cutscene of Sonic Generations, Modern Sonic is holding her back with one hand while talking to Modern Tails. Heck, they even made a running joke of it where she mistakes other hedgehogs for Sonic.

In the Genesis Era, she only does this twice: in Sonic CD and her ending in Sonic Drift.

don't know many people in real life that love having their personal space being invaded or loved being asked the same question multiple times over the course of 15+ years.

If you notice, no one complains about her portrayal in Lost World and Forces because she actually stops being clingy. Heck, she doesn't even come off this way in Sonic Adventure.

If Sonic felt in love with someone else and became a couple with them and got married, but Amy was actually respectful to the relationship and backed off, how would you feel?

Would Amy feel like a character needed to be dropped or would she still have some narrative value? Or would you quit the series because the one thing you liked about a particular character doesn't and can't exist anymore?

You don't need humans to have cities, she can also have money before she met Sonic.

It isn't a running joke if it only happen two times, this isn't real life, no one complains about those games as Amy didn't do much in them.

Sonic can't fall in love with anyone else or marry them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fire-N-Space said:

You don't need humans to have cities

Station Square is in the human world, where cities are inhabited by mostly humans.

1 hour ago, Fire-N-Space said:

It isn't a running joke if it only happen two times

It happens 3 times.

1 hour ago, Fire-N-Space said:

this isn't real life  

The personalities of Sonic characters exist in the real world.

1 hour ago, Fire-N-Space said:

no one complains about those games as Amy didn't do much in them.

Many people have complained about those games because Tails didn't do much in them.

1 hour ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Sonic can't fall in love with anyone else or marry them.  

It already happened twice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I decided to re-read the book to see some of the fuss, and hmm. At least on the art end, i'll say both artists have issues trying to draw the comic like an animation, rather than use the medium as it is. Now you can do that, the one punch, eyeshield 21, mob psyscho man mangaka Yusuke Muramata is so famous for it its they are often giffed. However Manga is often expected to be in its its end format a large book with hundreds of pages so on some level that's a lot more room to work with. And while yes comics do come in trades and IIRC sell mostly in trades, there's still a lot less realistate to work with. Now you can and people have created sequential animation style pages in comics, but its usually done to get a point across or something. Its not used for anything besides some fights, and amy talking to rouge. Which leads me to my next point of this comic as a lot of exposition that doesn't quite go anywhere, and resulting in the characters not meaning much.

13 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

Haven't commented here in a while so might as well wet my feet a little again...

You should comment more often

Quote



First off, issue 10 itself was probably the most bored I've been reading the IDW comic to date. While I disliked 6 it at least didn't bore me, but 10 here just felt so lifeless. While I acknowledge that the plot moved forward, the plot moving forward is not inherently entertaining and this issue kind of proves that for me. At most that is all the volume really felt like was a list of plot points to advance.

I would argue 6 felt lifeless and the plot went no where, I liked the action in this one too. I felt like the action in 6 was just pushing and shoving

Quote

We see that all of the characters are now free to help with Metal, that Blaze won't have her burning form for the fight, that the Mr. Tinker subplot is moving forward, and that Metal is now in a form that is easier to show everyone fighting him at once. The problem is, outside of the Mr. Tinker subplot, all of these events could have held a whole issue to themselves or at the Resistance and Burning Blaze threads could have shared an issue between them while this issue highlighted the fight and showed how Sonic and Knuckles team up to approach the weaknesses of the super forms, forms that Sonic has had to deal with the weaknesses of since meeting Knuckles as Knuckles was the first character to show they are beatable by knocking the super right out of Sonic. 

 

Quote

Looking at the comic as a whole right now and weighing it against complaints that people have about Flynn, I'm starting to wonder if the problem taking place with the pacing and structuring of the arc has to do with the whole Year 1, Year 2, etc. mentality that is being used to explain the comic. If every year has it's own arc, then unless a second book is added or better editing is applied I can see there being more problems like what issue 10 suffered appearing quite a bit in the future. I rather hope not and will reserve any judgement for now. Still, I find that I might have reason to be more concerned than I would like right now.

-----

I think other books will fix a lot of this

Quote

So, then just to add on the Amy topic as she is one of my favorites in the franchise (even if it's more the potential I see with her than due to execution), I think the biggest problem that Amy has as a character and holding an arc is that she really is for all extents and purposes Girl-Sonic-Lite. Asides from her interactions with Sonic she is a hedgehog who loves adventure and helps everyone in trouble she meets along the way. While that is fine and all, Sonic, the main character, already covers that making Amy a relatively redundant character unless she is paired with characters who play off of her admiration and infatuation of Sonic. Be this Sonic himself and how she throws him off balance or a character like Shadow who Amy can see the heroic side of Sonic in and tries to bring that to the fore. Unfortunately though, it highlights a weakness in Amy's character since becoming a hammer wielding warrior of destruction who scares everyone senseless, in that she works best as a support character since her hammer mastery even prevents you from telling a story with her that really highlights how above another hedgehog Sonic is. Realistically, Amy is kind stuck as a character right now due to being not only Girl-Sonic-Lite, but honestly being too competent. She unfortunately has nowhere to go as a character and that does not allow for a lot of story potential.

Now, the above isn't to say that Amy has none, including in this arc despite it being Knuckles focused. In fact, to me if one wanted Amy to have more focus it is because this arc is Knuckles focused in light of Forces that I could see adding more focus on her. Most notably, in light of her effectively being the leader of the Resistance and using Knuckles as a figure head to unify everyone behind and now having to deal with the fallout and what it has cost Knuckles. Seeing a hint of desperation behind Amy's endless optimism as she tries to help take back the island she contributed into losing due to her unshakable belief in Sonic even being questionable after his defeat a few months prior would really help bring some pathos to this arc. It would again highlight that Sonic is not unbeatable, bringing some much needed tension to the narrative, and would also show someone who would legitimately feel for Knuckles not being where he was supposed to be as they carry some of the responsibility for that. Of course, there is enough here the way I see it to easily just give Amy an arc of her own where one takes the time to explore the nature of her optimism and how it helps her deal with the fallout of Eggman's world takeover and how it affected everyone, but that was not the point. Point is, despite being a Knuckles centric story, in light of Forces being the starting point and Amy's role in the Resistance as well as Knuckles' I can see how she can actually get more focus than she has.

I would argue the problem with amy is that she can be other things, its just the powers at be want her to be girl sonic lite who likes sonic. When she's more interesting when she's very much... not that. And she's been written outside of that bubble , by ian and its great.

9 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Ian is, for all intents and purpose, a fan writer and writes the series as such. I really wish he would get an assistant to help with his plotting issues because if every arc is going to be like this, it's going to be s very boring read going into 2019.

you think its that bad?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

I would argue 6 felt lifeless and the plot went no where, I liked the action in this one too. I felt like the action in 6 was just pushing and shoving

I think what elevates 6 for me above 10 is more the potential of the wasted opportunities due to the relationship between Sonic, Shadow, and Eggman. I mean, realistically I can still argue that 6 can be dropped from the series and literally nothing would be lost, but because I can see a way to look at the issue more positively just by switching when Shadow appears in 5 it stimulates my imagination. 10 does not have that for me unfortunately as it is literally just a number of plot bulletin posts with some weak action on the side. I've actually been more entertained just writing up ways that Amy could have had more of a character arc in the Battle for Angel Island Arc then reading issue 10. It's just that dull of an issue for me as there was nothing that I particularly latched onto either positively or negatively. Speaking of Amy on the other hand...

My bad segue aside, I feel that a little clarity is needed on Amy's backstor(y)/(ies) and addressing what little we do know of them would help clear the air here involving some users. Perhaps I'm being more than a little arrogant here, but my intentions are well meaning. Anyway, if you'll allow me...

Classic Amy

So, the background that we have on Classic Amy is pretty straight forward if not a little underexplored. We know that she went to Never Lake by the Order of the Cards where she was to have a destined encounter. We also know that Classic Amy was 8yo at that time. We also know that she was a bit of a rascal and obviously a bit adventurous as well since she went up to Little Planet which is where she met Sonic (her hero), and not Never Lake where her destined encounter was supposed to take place (unless you get into semantics). Now this is not a lot but it does tell us some things about her.
This little background tells us that Amy obviously believes in the fortunes that her dowsing and divinations tell her, which is also reinforced by the recent Sonic Chanel Comics where just her fortune telling her that she would have a guest was enough to get her baking to greet them.
Additionally, like Tails, her background shows us that despite her age she is no stranger to adventure or being on her own, and is capable enough to take a casual trip to Never Lake and climb up to Little Planet.
If one also considers that she went up to Little Planet instead of waiting at Never Lake it shows a willingness to bend the rules and buck authority even when she has unquestioned faith in said authority as her sense of adventure seems to outweigh her other traits outside of her admiration nd infatuation with Sonic, a fellow hedgehog adventurer and most famous hedgehog in the world to boot.

Modern Amy

So from the soft reboot of the franchise that was Sonic Adventure we know even less about Modern Amy than we do Classic Amy. All we really know for a fact is that she is living in Station Square and is genuinely bored, reminiscing about the days where she used to go adventuring with Sonic. That's not really a lot to go on but still tells us at least one thing;
Amy loves adventure and would rathe be adventuring than living in the city.

So if you break down the above and willingly intermingle the two backgrounds then what you end up with is effectively Girl-Sonic-Lite with only really how Amy chooses her adventures really being what defines her. Where Sonic just goes wherever his feet will take him, relying on his knowledge of legends and folklore to bring him to places of interest and steer where he goes, Amy instead relies on the powers that be to tell her where an interesting adventure might await her, acting on it immediately and throwing herself whole hog into the adventure. To an extent she is almost like Blaze in that she waits for an outside force to send her off on an adventure, though as that could simply be a person and not necessarily a divination, her willingness to help people makes her again more like Sonic, especially in light of her love of adventure. There is a lot of interest to explore with Amy beyond her infatuation with Sonic that neither compromises the status-quo nor the fact that she is an adventurer like Sonic and draws numerous parallels to him. Unfortunately, it is very unlikely to be explored in these comics by Ian Flynn since he typically avoids touching certain subjects that involve character backgrounds due to both the mandates and his wait and see what SEGA does approach. However, as Amy is a more regularly available character than Knuckles and is attached to more of the mystical aspects of the world than just the Master Emerald, her divinations being a source of adventure that even without a background makes her and her Girl-Sonic-lite status a veritable well of possible adventures and stories.

9 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

You should comment more often

Yeah, I probably should, but as the above demonstrates I get a little too involved with what is really just supposed to be an entertainment property. Maybe's it's the writer in me and all of the potential I see with the franchise that gets me going like I do though. Still, I'll see what I can do about commenting more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Ian is, for all intents and purpose, a fan writer and writes the series as such. I really wish he would get an assistant to help with his plotting issues because if every arc is going to be like this, it's going to be s very boring read going into 2019.

I was going to say "well it's still the beginning..." before remembering Ian's a Sonic veteran. Though I guess working at Archie vs IDW is a different situation.

I probably asked this before but aren't western comics usually written by multiple writers, or was it one writer per "series"? Also, I only have a very vague idea how comic making works but I imagined the scrip gets reviewed by several people (excluding the company) before getting approved. 

It feels kinda wrong to call Ian "fan writer" since that will apply to all adaptation writers (though I think I called his Megaman work "official fanfic" before). And he has a close connection with the owners, even if they can be pretty loose in their restriction at times. But Ian does have his flaws. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Shadow got to have a dedicated character arc within the games themselves, is more consistently written/portrayed, and is always given notability in role & spotlight anytime he shows up in anything. 

Hush. Um, if that's okay.

Yeah but he hasn't had the spotlight lately so he's being unfairly treated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Yeah but he hasn't had the spotlight lately so he's being unfairly treated. 

> Was treated much better than the other cast
> Now has less role (like everyone else in general), but still treated better than others (see: shitty portrayal)
>"unfairly treated"

???

6 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Is he though?

Case in point: Imagine him being in Lost World.

Yeah. Unlike "Sonic's friends", he can't just be in anything. He needs a proper reason to be/do something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I hoped that the arc wouldn't drag out but felt it would. And it's doing that for sure. 

*Sigh* Anyone else missing the Archie book right about now where things were actually allowed to happen? But I guess that that was baggage that was unneeded for a comic book too. /s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Yeah but he hasn't had the spotlight lately so he's being unfairly treated. 

 

37 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

In the Reveal Trailer for Team Sonic Racing, it only features Sonic and Shadow.

In addition he was the star of Forces DLC which was kind of, sort of, integral to understanding Infinite as a villain, and it doesn't get any more recent than Forces right now.

Honestly I thought post-reboot Archie moved a fairly slow clip, so this isn't really news to me. Actually makes me all the more satisfied that I'm waiting until the comic has a couple dozen issues before seriously diving or weighting in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, LongcrierCat said:

Well, I hoped that the arc wouldn't drag out but felt it would. And it's doing that for sure. 

*Sigh* Anyone else missing the Archie book right about now where things were actually allowed to happen? But I guess that that was baggage that was unneeded for a comic book too. /s

I've been missing Archie since it went on hiatus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

I think what elevates 6 for me above 10 is more the potential of the wasted opportunities due to the relationship between Sonic, Shadow, and Eggman. I mean, realistically I can still argue that 6 can be dropped from the series and literally nothing would be lost, but because I can see a way to look at the issue more positively just by switching when Shadow appears in 5 it stimulates my imagination. 10 does not have that for me unfortunately as it is literally just a number of plot bulletin posts with some weak action on the side. I've actually been more entertained just writing up ways that Amy could have had more of a character arc in the Battle for Angel Island Arc then reading issue 10. It's just that dull of an issue for me as there was nothing that I particularly latched onto either positively or negatively. Speaking of Amy on the other hand...

For the 6 argument I will say , I disagree. Obviously this is known, but I would make the argument that 5 making me think of up cool things and 6 having potential ...doesn't make 6 good. Sonic 06 had potential. I gotta judge a book or an art piece by what is presented, and what's presented in 10 while mostly standard is still way more than 6. That's how I feel

Quote

My bad segue aside, I feel that a little clarity is needed on Amy's backstor(y)/(ies) and addressing what little we do know of them would help clear the air here involving some users. Perhaps I'm being more than a little arrogant here, but my intentions are well meaning. Anyway, if you'll allow me...

 

Quote

Classic Amy

So, the background that we have on Classic Amy is pretty straight forward if not a little underexplored. We know that she went to Never Lake by the Order of the Cards where she was to have a destined encounter. We also know that Classic Amy was 8yo at that time. We also know that she was a bit of a rascal and obviously a bit adventurous as well since she went up to Little Planet which is where she met Sonic (her hero), and not Never Lake where her destined encounter was supposed to take place (unless you get into semantics). Now this is not a lot but it does tell us some things about her.
This little background tells us that Amy obviously believes in the fortunes that her dowsing and divinations tell her, which is also reinforced by the recent Sonic Chanel Comics where just her fortune telling her that she would have a guest was enough to get her baking to greet them.
Additionally, like Tails, her background shows us that despite her age she is no stranger to adventure or being on her own, and is capable enough to take a casual trip to Never Lake and climb up to Little Planet.
If one also considers that she went up to Little Planet instead of waiting at Never Lake it shows a willingness to bend the rules and buck authority even when she has unquestioned faith in said authority as her sense of adventure seems to outweigh her other traits outside of her admiration nd infatuation with Sonic, a fellow hedgehog adventurer and most famous hedgehog in the world to boot.

Modern Amy

So from the soft reboot of the franchise that was Sonic Adventure we know even less about Modern Amy than we do Classic Amy. All we really know for a fact is that she is living in Station Square and is genuinely bored, reminiscing about the days where she used to go adventuring with Sonic. That's not really a lot to go on but still tells us at least one thing;
Amy loves adventure and would rathe be adventuring than living in the city.

So if you break down the above and willingly intermingle the two backgrounds then what you end up with is effectively Girl-Sonic-Lite with only really how Amy chooses her adventures really being what defines her. Where Sonic just goes wherever his feet will take him, relying on his knowledge of legends and folklore to bring him to places of interest and steer where he goes, Amy instead relies on the powers that be to tell her where an interesting adventure might await her, acting on it immediately and throwing herself whole hog into the adventure. To an extent she is almost like Blaze in that she waits for an outside force to send her off on an adventure, though as that could simply be a person and not necessarily a divination, her willingness to help people makes her again more like Sonic, especially in light of her love of adventure. There is a lot of interest to explore with Amy beyond her infatuation with Sonic that neither compromises the status-quo nor the fact that she is an adventurer like Sonic and draws numerous parallels to him. Unfortunately, it is very unlikely to be explored in these comics by Ian Flynn since he typically avoids touching certain subjects that involve character backgrounds due to both the mandates and his wait and see what SEGA does approach. However, as Amy is a more regularly available character than Knuckles and is attached to more of the mystical aspects of the world than just the Master Emerald, her divinations being a source of adventure that even without a background makes her and her Girl-Sonic-lite status a veritable well of possible adventures and stories.'

I think that's a good way to look at amy. Interesting, I guess it makes sense given amy had ( Has? ) a tarot card thing. Amy can be seen as a sort of " the fates brought us together " type of person. However, I see amy differently, The reason I think amy has the potential to be more than girl sonic lite is that well... she's a lot more confrontational than a lot of the other characters in  the cast. Not just in a fight way. Amy is one of the few characters who will actually bother, depending on which interpetation , to tell people about themselves. A lot of the characters seem like live and let live kind of people, but amy who weirdly shares this trait with shadow will just tell people what's up. She's just nice about it

Quote

Yeah, I probably should, but as the above demonstrates I get a little too involved with what is really just supposed to be an entertainment property. Maybe's it's the writer in me and all of the potential I see with the franchise that gets me going like I do though. Still, I'll see what I can do about commenting more.

I think its cool, obviously don't dedicate your life to it. But I feel like you seeing the potential just speaks to your quality of a writer

12 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

I was going to say "well it's still the beginning..." before remembering Ian's a Sonic veteran. Though I guess working at Archie vs IDW is a different situation.

I probably asked this before but aren't western comics usually written by multiple writers, or was it one writer per "series"? Also, I only have a very vague idea how comic making works but I imagined the scrip gets reviewed by several people (excluding the company) before getting approved. 

It feels kinda wrong to call Ian "fan writer" since that will apply to all adaptation writers (though I think I called his Megaman work "official fanfic" before). And he has a close connection with the owners, even if they can be pretty loose in their restriction at times. But Ian does have his flaws. 

 

As far as I know there are plenty of books written by one guy. That doesn't mean he doesn't have an editor, or someone managing the whole comic brand like with Marvel and DC that they have to consult with. But there are plenty of " One writer, several artist " operations.

 

 

7 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

Yeah. Unlike "Sonic's friends", he can't just be in anything. He needs a proper reason to be/do something.

I think that has worked to his benifit, but to the disdain of his fans.

They don't get that, they are just " where is my character " and to be quite fair... that's a pretty fair question?

Like you can sit here and say " Well he doesn't show up as much because he can't be everwhere " but his fans are just loosing out because they aren't releasing other games where he does show up often and it does fit. He just...doesn't show up.

Now he's showing up more now, and I think he will in the future. I just think for the general fanbase and how sega makes games, it isn't the best argument.

 

7 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Is he though?

Case in point: Imagine him being in Lost World.

I can imagine him in lost world.

But the lost world i'm imagining him in... is a much better story.

Shadow can exist in lighter hearted content, do I trust sega to write that? Nah

On 11/5/2018 at 6:20 PM, DabigRG said:

Shadow got to have a dedicated character arc within the games themselves, is more consistently written/portrayed, and is always given notability in role & spotlight anytime he shows up in anything. 

Hush. Um, if that's okay.

One could make the argument that " They would like him to show up more in games now "

You can say he " got a character arc "

But Sonic 06 came out 12 years ago. That's ceasing to matter to younger and younger fans, and eventually you will need to introduce new content for this character

 

5 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

In the Reveal Trailer for Team Sonic Racing, it only features Sonic and Shadow.

If one doesn't care about Spin off stuff and wants to see him in mainline titles more... the point still stands. Also if they think the game looks wack, which unfortunately a lot of people seem to think that game looks wack. He being in some content is meaningless if people do not enjoy the content he's in.

Also mind you , I don't agree with dash speed. Nor post filled with obvious sarcasm you all keep responding too.

I'm just responding to general not great arguments i'm seeing

5 hours ago, Cuz said:

 

In addition he was the star of Forces DLC which was kind of, sort of, integral to understanding Infinite as a villain, and it doesn't get any more recent than Forces right now.

 

I'll repeat. If people don't enjoy or care about the content he's being released in, it doesn't mean anything to them. You can say shadow is inthings, but people will still want him untill he's in good shit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

If people don't enjoy or care about the content he's being released in, it doesn't mean anything to them. You can say shadow is inthings, but people will still want him untill he's in good shit

#PlayableAmyForSonicMania

In this series, games that are worth a damn are like lifeboats

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2018 at 6:20 PM, DabigRG said:

Shadow got to have a dedicated character arc within the games themselves, is more consistently written/portrayed, and is always given notability in role & spotlight anytime he shows up in anything. 

Hush. Um, if that's okay.

Debatable.

Second is not that hard when half the entire cast is characterized as more simple and less in depth

 Amy is still more relevant than Sonic in getting a key role to play with his character

Knuckles is more fun than Shadow and as better written moments than Shadow only has the comics where he has that nose picking scene and bomb the duck scene.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The series is called "Sonic The Hedgehog." It's from Sonic's perspective. Even Shadow himself wouldn't want to appear too often.

The problem is, SEGA isn't usually making stuff where he'd be appropriate. It's like if Batman only existed in crossovers with Superman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

Knuckles is more fun than Shadow and as better written moments than Shadow only has the comics where he has that nose picking scene and bomb the duck scene.

What issue is the nose picking scene from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

For the 6 argument I will say , I disagree. Obviously this is known, but I would make the argument that 5 making me think of up cool things and 6 having potential ...doesn't make 6 good. Sonic 06 had potential. I gotta judge a book or an art piece by what is presented, and what's presented in 10 while mostly standard is still way more than 6. That's how I feel

 

Eh, it depends, honestly.

8 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

The reason I think amy has the potential to be more than girl sonic lite is that well... she's a lot more confrontational than a lot of the other characters in  the cast. Not just in a fight way. Amy is one of the few characters who will actually bother, depending on which interpetation , to tell people about themselves. A lot of the characters seem like live and let live kind of people, but amy who weirdly shares this trait with shadow will just tell people what's up. She's just nice about it

That's a fairly good point, actually.

8 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

 

I can imagine him in lost world.

But the lost world i'm imagining him in... is a much better story.

 

Really now? Cause I honestly just said that to get the point across.

I can't help but feel he'd potentially fuck up the premise(more than it was executed, perhaps).

9 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

 

One could make the argument that " They would like him to show up more in games now "

You can say he " got a character arc "

But Sonic 06 came out 12 years ago. That's ceasing to matter to younger and younger fans, and eventually you will need to introduce new content for this character

 

I guess.

It's just that it seems weird to argue that he gets worse treatment when he's one of the only characters who's recent absences is kind of good(in that it's sorta helping his reputation), he already had a lot of attention focused into him in the longterm(ai. he's not Knuckles or for some people, apparently Blaze), and is allowed to maintain any degree of dignity/"dignity."

 

3 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

Debatable.

Second is not that hard when half the entire cast is characterized as more simple and less in depth

 Amy is still more relevant than Sonic in getting a key role to play with his character

Knuckles is more fun than Shadow and as better written moments than Shadow only has the comics where he has that nose picking scene and bomb the duck scene.

...What?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Scape said:

The series is called "Sonic The Hedgehog." It's from Sonic's perspective. Even Shadow himself wouldn't want to appear too often.

The problem is, SEGA isn't usually making stuff where he'd be appropriate. It's like if Batman only existed in crossovers with Superman.

 

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

That's a fairly good point, actually.

Its an aspect of her character a lot of people forget that I think its pretty cool. I like characters who can just deliver sometimes blunt truths about the situation.

To double back to the issue 6 point ,its why I also don't like it? Shadow isn't really allowed to dole out blunt truths besides one because ...well that would either have sonic have to question his moral compass, or have sonic not even react to it like a sociopath. I fully believe in that scenario where sonic says " Oh well you used to do all that bad stuff too" shadow should have said " Alright then, if you think i'm bad kill me " because shadow is the first one sacrifice his life for the cause, and him backing down from delivering that sort of blunt callous line was weird. And speaks to how forced the entire conflict of the issue. Obviously they might not use the term kill me , they would use a kid friendly version of the question. But yeah

As apposed to issue 10  ,where he's fighting a boss and sonic offers up information and his response is " What you scared " , what happened to that blunt callous dickishness in issue 6?

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Really now? Cause I honestly just said that to get the point across.

I can't help but feel he'd potentially fuck up the premise(more than it was executed, perhaps).

Shadow has a lot of comedic potential in that scenario and a lot of scenario's like that, that is going unrealized, almost realized by sonic boom, but they ruined it.

Can totally imagine scenario's where new villians unfamiliar with shadow or eggman trying to go through the motions , are just cut short by a shadow really good and just trying to do his job. Shadow has the potentially to be the ultimate straitman and its going unrealized

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

I guess.

It's just that it seems weird to argue that he gets worse treatment when he's one of the only characters who's recent absences is kind of good(in that it's sorta helping his reputation), he already had a lot of attention focused into him in the longterm(ai. he's not Knuckles or for some people, apparently Blaze), and is allowed to maintain any degree of dignity/"dignity."

Oh I don't agree with dash speed at all, by the way.

I'm just saying " well not being around is helping him " doesn't matter to the people..who are his fans? They want to see him around and doing stuff. That isn't a compromise, if he's not being put in games regularly enough ( good ones ) that make you appreciate his absence. Its a meaningless gesture is all i'm saying

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.