Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

On 11/9/2018 at 5:34 AM, SBR2 said:

It's the "Controller"  and has power over the Chaos Emeralds so I'd say it's more powerful.

I mean if you want to get technical wasn't the Time Eater's weak point around there?

https://www.deviantart.com/sonicx2011/art/2-SONICS-VS-2-EGGMANS-265739320

Eh, judging by the image here, I'd say it's more the spine/torso of the Time Eater.

Got around to reading the recent issue, I think I'm in the minority where I rather enjoyed issue 10. It's mostly a big running battle, and while maybe the attention could be better split between Sonic and Knuckles fighting Metal and the Resistance taking out the Egg Fleet, I think the issue showed everything it needed to to get the job done. I don't need page after page of Super Neo Metal Sonic bitch slapping Knuckles and Sonic away from the M.E. and saying "try again!" or "so close!" (which worked well enough the one time to get across that quite a bit of time has elapsed). It might have been nice to keep Super Neo around a bit longer, but I don't really have any complaints about Overlord (I kinda figured he'd transform since Metal copying people's data was already established). This is also probably the first issue where I actually got a chuckle out of the theme song callbacks Ian's been jamming in so often in previous issues--most instances felt extremely forced and just didn't belong with the rest of the dialogue, so at least this time it felt appropriate, but the effect is diminished by all the other bad attempts.

I can see why other people didn't like this issue if they were into the build-up of the earlier issues and it seems like Ian just took the easy way out, but since I didn't like earlier issues it was nice seeing the team cut loose on the action. This pretty much echoes how I felt about Archie's last year, a series of repetitive two-parters of Sonic and Chip doing the same thing in the main story every issue and then a four parter that gets to the pay off. While some parts of the payoff for "Panic in the Sky" felt unearned due to how Chip was handled throughout most of the Shattered World Crisis, I think "Battle for Angel Island" seems a bit more satisfactory so far since I think I'm getting just about what I thought I would without raising my expectations too much.

• Thumbs Up 3

54 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

For some reason, this line worries me.

"I’m clinging to this spiky blue moneymaker as long as I can."

I don't know if he's making a joke or if he seriously doesn't care anymore. With the quality of IDW Sonic IMO, it really makes me think.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I don't know if he's making a joke or if he seriously doesn't care anymore. With the quality of IDW Sonic IMO, it really makes me think.

He saw his projects shut down two times. This third continuity must be the right one.

17 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Ah man, I didn't see that during the parts I read.

3 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

He saw his projects shut down two times. This third continuity must be the right one.

Pretty much.

People always get bent out of shape when someone is actually honest about how much money the thing they're working on makes. It's no wonder PR usually sticks to flowery language and talk about passion. 

That isn't to say he or anyone else who uses that rhetoric don't actually have passion. It's obvious he genuinely loves this series and isn't phoning anything in. His writing style has been pretty much consistent throughout the entire run barring a few things concerning how he handles certain characters as far as I'm concerned. Things have actually gotten a lot better over time when it comes to how he writes Sonic's character, which I'm eternally grateful for.

However, his story-telling hasn't changed all that much. He's got some real winners under his belt, like Eggman's Dozen, but he's also got some losers too. We all probably disagree on what counts as a loss too though. I've been enjoying the current run so far with Issue 10 being the first big disappointment for me. Someone else just said they liked issue 10 but didn't really have much high praise for what came before.

So whatever. 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 3

1 hour ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I’d say he’s joking.

Flynn’s a hardcore fan as much as he is a professional writer. IDW’s quality may be questionable—although personally, I think that’s a case of people having either their standards too high, people wanting their personal tastes catered to, or people not used to this transition after Archie Sonic kicked the bucket, on top of all of Flynn’s hard work on Archie gone to waste—but I find it hard to think he doesn’t care, else he wouldn’t really bother with it any more.

And I say this as someone who doesn’t have that strong an interest in IDW compared to his former work. He’s doing this for fans as much as he is for himself, he made that clear when he used Metal Overlord despite him also saying he personally didn’t like the design either.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

Like a very old popular quote from here would say, roughly translated to english: " There is a grain of truth in every joke"

• Thumbs Up 2

I take the clinging to Sonic comment as he gets to write for a character he's loved since he was young. The longer he can write for Sonic who he has passion for as well as make money off that love and passion, the better. (Even if the IDW run doesn't feel very passionate eh heh..😅)

Partially joking BUT I also interpreted this line differently.

Read the whole line. "I’ve got no other job skills, so I’m clinging to this spiky blue moneymaker as long as I can."

Yes, Flynn has a dream job any of us would love to have. But if for some reason IDW Sonic goes down?  Flynn will be in seriously bad situation. What else he can do? Write another Cosmo the Martian that will last 6 issues? Pray to god that Mario or Crash Bandicoot gets a comic? Or should he live from rare times TMNT calls him?

• Thumbs Up 5

2 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Partially joking BUT I also interpreted this line differently.

Read the whole line. "I’ve got no other job skills, so I’m clinging to this spiky blue moneymaker as long as I can."

Yes, Flynn has a dream job any of us would love to have. But if for some reason IDW Sonic goes down?  Flynn will be in seriously bad situation. What else he can do? Write another Cosmo the Martian that will last 6 issues? Pray to god that Mario or Crash Bandicoot gets a comic? Or should he live from rare times TMNT calls him?

Flynn needs to get out of here then, I mean in the sense of I would like him to get more writing gigs and not have to rely on sonic all the time.

I want to see a day when flynn gets a writing gig on a TV show regularly, and has to bounce because he thrived

Way to make an excerpt from an interview about coming to grips with having to repeatedly abandon a passionate mode feel cynical and depressing, guys.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 2
  • Too Many Rings 1

6 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

It's a joke. People always seem to be trying to look too far into his words I swear.

7 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

OR he's clinging on because he does care. 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

15 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Flynn needs to get out of here then, I mean in the sense of I would like him to get more writing gigs and not have to rely on sonic all the time.

I want to see a day when flynn gets a writing gig on a TV show regularly, and has to bounce because he thrived

I hate to say this because I'm afraid I'll sound like a dick but like Statistically if it's not Sonic it seems like people don't give a crap about Ian's work. New Crusaders died a pathetically early death (Which sucks because it's so good), Uncanny Valley High got next to no reaction, His TMNT work has been reviewed pretty well but he's only one of several writers in the rotating staff of the companion books.

Honestly I think the only book he did that wasn't Sonic that was met with more than a "Meh that's cool I guess" was Mega Man.

• Chuckle 1

Well, I haven't been here in years. God I hate this avatar. I'll deal with it later. Anyway, I know I mentioned this to you elsewhere, SBR2, but I think some of the problem Ian is having, at least in regards to the Crusaders, is I think this is more of an Archie problem than it is an Ian problem. I'm pretty sure that Archie's efforts to revive the Crusaders in any capacity generally ends with them underperforming and shutting it down. (Though I do think they tried to ride the waves of a surge in comic popularity in the... 80s? Only to be sued by DC because the iteration of the Shield from that era was too similar to Superman. Now we get a new Superman pastiche every time someone sneezes.) The Crusaders is probably really only something that'll take off in any significant way if we get a bigger name writer like, I dunno, Mark Waid or Grant Morrison and even THEN I'm confident it would fail or Archie would just cancel it at some point. Hopefully his time at IDW will help expand his options.

Also to keep things more on topic, because I literally did not talk about Sonic this entire post so far, I'm REALLY enjoying IDW's run so far. I kinda lost interest in Sonic as a whole for a few years and this dragged me kicking and screaming back in. =_= I predicted Metal Sonic's involvement in literally the first month and I'm enjoying how it's playing out. (I mean, it's not like it was a hard figure out iojoijoisdjf.) I need issue 11 now.

Now time to go change this avatar to newer art that I can hate in a few years.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Earnest-Panda said:

I’d definitely put Crusaders failure down to Archie more than Ian. Same for Cosmo.

Yeah fair enough. I'm not totally sure on the numbers it did but considering Archie trashed Mega Man (Which was pulling Sonic Universe numbers) because they were rightly called out for their kickstarter campaign I'm not sure the numbers really matter.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Potentially something racist?

Something they can’t reveal until March?

...yep, definitely something racist!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Potentially something racist?

What? No dude he's clearly teasing a project. How in God's name did you make that leap?

28 minutes ago, Earnest-Panda said:

Something they can’t reveal until March?

...yep, definitely something racist!

7 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

What? No dude he's clearly teasing a project. How in God's name did you make that leap?

It's a joke based on a villain's name.