Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

2 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I have to say, it's very un-Flynn to be so revered when world building. Why mayor in issue #6 had no name or his town? "Because he's unimportant character and unimportant village" explains Flynn.

Okay, why Eggman couldn't land in important place with important characters like he did at start of Archie Reboot?

Because the story isn't about the town. That it's just some irrelevant little podunk town is the point, even; it's why Eggman stayed missing for so long, nobody would think to look for him there, and since he was no threat the villagers would have no reason to tell anyone about him. If he landed in some big city or in the same town as some important named character that'd make for an entirely different story. Not necessarily a worse one, but not necessarily a better one, either.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

The town where Mr Tinker is held appeared in 3 issues, but we don't even know its name nor its mayor's name.

This just seems so unimportant to me. We're probably never going to see it again now that Mr. Tinker's been abducted and I really don't see why we need to know the Mayor's name.

46 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Because the story isn't about the town. That it's just some irrelevant little podunk town is the point, even; it's why Eggman stayed missing for so long, nobody would think to look for him there, and since he was no threat the villagers would have no reason to tell anyone about him. If he landed in some big city or in the same town as some important named character that'd make for an entirely different story. Not necessarily a worse one, but not necessarily a better one, either.

Add on the fact that Ian flat out admitted he's playing it faster and looser this time and chilling with the worldbuilding. I personally like it better this way. There's been some growing pains but I like the renewed sense of focus. Not everything needs to be a fanservice nod or some sense of significance to keep my attention. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Even if I'm warming up to the way he handle worldbuilding now, I think that some kind of better balance would be possible, with a bit more references to the world (with references to the bunch of islands that might or might not constitute the Animal World, or with bigger references to cities when they'll be on earth, maybe some more references place to "anchor" things…), while not being to the point of naming every city and continent (even if I personally liked that, I understand that it might not be to everybody's taste).

• Thumbs Up 3

9 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Maybe I'm alone here but I don't care. I like Sonic not being tied to one place (Could have sworn hat was a major complaint about the Archie book too but whatever). 

In the preboot, anyway.

9 hours ago, SBR2 said:

We don't need to learn the tragic backstory of how that sheep girl is losing her farm or whatever.

If the story isn't about her, yeah, but that's obviously something of an extreme..

My only real issue with them not doing anything with the towns and characters is purely shadow related. I wanted them to like... address shadow had been running around, or at least his clones so to speak , genocide shit. And I was interested in the potential fall out from that, a man against the world type situation, but his statement in 06 to the test. However it doesn't seem like i'm getting that and whisper one of the few named character might be the vessel for that soley , while I find that a bit less interesting than the idea I had. With that character existing and if they do go there, I guess that would satisfy that? I mean eggman almost took over the world, it already seems like this book is running away from its forces influences as fast as it can into other influences. So i've given up on that.

So outside of that one scenario naming the towns or side characters didn't matter to me, while I would like them to do that establish more important places in future. Story hub cities and sort of map out a world, its year one and its a monthly and all you really need to know is " animals fight bad person in animal land " right now

If I'm honest, the reluctance to name minor characters feels like a mandate to me.  As if a character who gets a name suddenly counts as a "new character" on the level of Tangle or Whisper and comes in for special scrutiny by a more watchful SEGA, but if they aren't named then they're just an extra and there's freer rein in writing them.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, DabigRG said:

What are some side stories/adventures that you'd like to see certain characters go on?

Sonic Universe side book, with solo adventures with Silver, The Chaotix, Shadow, Tangle...

I'd like to see Amy do a world trip of her own just checking in on all of the Resistance bases and leaders after the whole Master Overlord bit and maybe see a bit of Shadow and Rouge dealing with the aftermath of them just jumping in to help without any regard to whether G.U.N wanted them involved or not. Roughly, some state of the world stories that are a bit more cohesive than how Sonic sees the world.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

What are some side stories/adventures that you'd like to see certain characters go on?

Tails having a character arc to redeem himself from the shit show that was Forces.

4 hours ago, DabigRG said:

I'd love to see Tails go on like a Science Adventure with Prof. Pickle or something. Maybe a heist story with Rouge could be fun.

• Thumbs Up 1

Literally anything with the Chaotix, (that's just a given with me).

Whatever is going on with Whisper to pay-off.

I'll second a heist story/spy-craft or some such with Rouge . Giving her anything to do apart from filling out the resistance ranks is a good idea.

She's kind of Shadow's sensible Jiminy Cricket right now.

I'd actually love to see something with Infinite. Maybe clean up the remnants of Jackal squad who cant be doing too well with their leader ditching them after a nasty beatdown. It would be a good introduction into how some of the disenfranchised  populous scrapped by during the months Eggy was in charge.

I'd also like to see a return of the Jackal man himself, perhaps with a prototype phantom ruby to his name so he can be something of a minor villain / enforcer under Eggman. It could make for a good script to see how he holds up all that Ego minus the overwhelming power of the Phantom Ruby.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

7 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Does Infinite still alive

Is Gun exist

If Gun be a thing, whats up with them.

What's up with the world. How they reforming, show me more of this new animal world

What's shadow doing in animal world, how are people reacting to shadow considering his image was used to instill terror upon its people for half a year.

Kinda wanna know what cream is up to?

Blazes world, what's up with that

Chaotix doing detective stuff

Bonus, things I know they wont answer but dear go I want them to try.

Why the shit did shadow and rouge leave omega's corpse out in the open for months

Where did shadow go during forces

If rouge knew why didn't she say anything.

Also, if chaos is like...around like in the prequel comic... what is chaos doing? Why couldn't he body neo metal sonic?

• Thumbs Up 3

Issue 14 solicitation:

" (W) Ian Flynn (A) Tracy Yardley (CA) Lamar Wells
A helpful tip leads Sonic and Silver to an abandoned Eggman base suddenly teeming with activity. As the two investigate the action, an old foe returns and a new foe comes face-to-face with Sonic for the first time... "

https://previewsworld.com/Catalog/DEC180703

I hope it's not a copy of issue 8.

• Thumbs Up 1

A "new foe" huh? I know we need them but I kind of thought Ian said no new characters in year two. Oh well, I won't complain unless they're boring.

29 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Issue 14 solicitation:

" (W) Ian Flynn (A) Tracy Yardley (CA) Lamar Wells
A helpful tip leads Sonic and Silver to an abandoned Eggman base suddenly teeming with activity. As the two investigate the action, an old foe returns and a new foe comes face-to-face with Sonic for the first time... "

https://previewsworld.com/Catalog/DEC180703

I hope it's not a copy of issue 8.

Ooh, sounds interesting.

Though I think the context of "comes face-to-face with Sonic for the first time"  is probably an important clue.

27 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

A "new foe" huh? I know we need them but I kind of thought Ian said no new characters in year two. Oh well, I won't complain unless they're boring.

If the Mr. Tinker cutaway is any indication, this new foe may be revealed in one of the last two issues of Year One.

Maybe, and that would avoid a new character in Year Two as well. Since I would like a little more of a tease of what's come anyway I'll take it if it happens.

Getting tired of the "Sonic teams up with a friend(s?), things happen, they part their separate ways, repeat" formula. Oddly it reminds me of the StH formula of meet a friend, choose a side, do level, rinse repeat. I guess it bugs me cause it feels like "This is the Tails issue. This is the Amy issue. This is the Knuckles issue. This is the Silver issue. Who's gonna be Sonic's sidekick today!"

I guess it's better than having a massive group that has to fight for that meat slab known as panel time, but it just kinda feels like a showcase on a stage. They come out, flaunt, then leave. I guess if they were gonna go this path, then maybe make these more than one part? So then we can get some interesting character story and feeling progression that's not just for the plot. Nobody really improves or grows even slightly, and everything ends up feeling the same.

Am I just expecting too much? I mean I get much more out of other comic books then this one. Same with manga which don't seem to have this problem. I don't usually see characters just appear for one issue, go away, then another character for the next one. Maybe this is Brave and the Bold style....I hear they did that way back when? I dunno just thinking aloud at this point.

This is going to continue, until there are other books, or they decided to hammer down a solid with a couple characters for a good chunk of time. Untill then i expect it to be stuff like this, hopefully better writen and planne dout in future.

4 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

The art is uh

That aren't isn't the best

The best artist is ABT, but he cant do so many issues because each issue takes him much time, drawing, inking and coloring.

Another great artist is (and I always ask myself why didnt IDW hire her yet) is Diana Skelly.

6 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

The art is uh

That aren't isn't the best. Someone didn't flip the image when drawing it, folks is leaning.

Seems pretty standard for Tracy Yardley.