Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Just now, Shadowlax said:

If you are a fan of shadow, this comic is kinda bad.

Guess it solidifies my theory that shadow might not have at least when Ian thought it up, in the first year of the comic.

I can definitely see where you are coming, I was also disappointed by the lack of Shadow action.

Anyway, here is a new solicitation: 

https://previewsworld.com/Catalog/DEC180703

So, about that villain theory:

Spoiler

I agree it's possible, he comes from the future, Sonic AND Silver investigate in issue 14, plus Starline studied Eggman???

1 minute ago, I Love Sticks said:

I can definitely see where you are coming, I was also disappointed by the lack of Shadow action.

Anyway, here is a new solicitation: 

https://previewsworld.com/Catalog/DEC180703

So, about that villain theory:

Reveal hidden contents

I agree it's possible, he comes from the future, Sonic AND Silver investigate in issue 14, plus Starline studied Eggman???

I'm not dissapointed in the lack of shadow action.

I'm disappointied by him being there and not doing anything.

I didn't expect shadow to show up for the first whole year. Shadow is a complicated little dude, and tends to chew up scenery and if he isn't doing anything and is just around its noticed a lot more because he chews up scenery. Which... well is one of the complaints people have had about  a few characters to be honest. I wold preferred he didn't show up and was put in something where he did something than just shoved in an actually made every situation he was involved in worse and wasted everyone's time.

Issue 11...before you read it, just try to guess what happened. The most obvious way things go.

Chances are you'll get 90% correctly.

Spoiler

Everyone punches Metal, while Knuckles removed Master Emerald and they win. The end.

Shadow doesn't do squat, doesn't even punches the wing. I wouldn't mind, if they didn't tricked me into thinking he will do something more.
No clarification how Metal transformations work, just deal with what issue 10 gave us.

And the only thing of importance: new villain. Neat, but phrase 'new character' isn't enough to make me exited. Really, it just makes me think about quality of this arc , that comic  immediately tries to distract me with something new. (okay, I'm being harsh. Those kinda sequel-hooks are tradition more-less since Archie Sonic 200.

Still, one issue left, that might be interesting.

Shadow may not have done much this issue, but he did save the day last issue in a most Shadow-y way.

Before that, he had a pretty good fight with Sonic for what I thought were pretty good, more Shadow-y reasons.

5 minutes ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Shadow may not have done much this issue, but he did save the day last issue in a most Shadow-y way.

Before that, he had a pretty good fight with Sonic for what I thought were pretty good, more Shadow-y reasons.

The only way Shadow can work  well is if he's fighting something related to his past (Flynn can invent some new Black Arms why not?)

Also I love how well Tracey's and Evan's work look well together.

6 minutes ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

He didn't say the day, he made the problem worse.

And the fight with sonic before...wasn't good, it was two people got shoved and then talked in a forest and then nothing. He also in that issue contributed nothing of value.

19 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

He didn't say the day, he made the problem worse.

And the fight with sonic before...wasn't good, it was two people got shoved and then talked in a forest and then nothing. He also in that issue contributed nothing of value.

But he looked cool while doing it....yeah, I'm still sliiiiiightly annoyed. I'm mean, I don't mind Shadow making mistake, but his IDW career starts with Sonic twice in a row  telling him "dude, you're doing something stupid". I agree that Shadow just feels awkward when he's secondary character. I would prefer him showing up less but with bigger impact on the story.

With that said NOBODY in this comic seriously contributes. If Silver and Amy switched in issues #2 and #8 , story wouldn't change much. Everyone is just a punching sidekick. What they do have however is personalities, and (for me anyway) Shadow is written quite well.

23 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

But he looked cool while doing it....yeah, I'm still sliiiiiightly annoyed. I'm mean, I don't mind Shadow making mistake, but his IDW career starts with Sonic twice in a row  telling him "dude, you're doing something stupid". I agree that Shadow just feels awkward when he's secondary character. I would prefer him showing up less but with bigger impact on the story.

I agree with this

23 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

With that said NOBODY in this comic seriously contributes. If Silver and Amy switched in issues #2 and #8 , story wouldn't change much. Everyone is just a punching sidekick. What they do have however is personalities, and (for me anyway) Shadow is written quite well.

I don't think shadow is written enough in 10 or 11 to parce out his personality. And issue 6 its a pretty bad take on it. And he doesn't really get to actually like, be himself. Because being himself would require telling the protagonist to " Go ahead and kill him " and sonic just... isn't equipped to handle dialog like that, so reasonably they opted out. But what resulted was an issue where shadow wasted everyone's time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler

Dr. Starline is more like a fusion of Dr. Finitevus and Dr. Quack from the Pre-Archie comic to me.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

An underwhelming conclusion to an underwhelming arc.

Spoiler

Metal doesn't actually accomplish anything in this form so aside from his size he never comes off as particularly threatening. He felt more effective back when he was Super. Sonic's taunts felt pretty weak, and the whole thing devolves into another group fight, which they still haven't figured out how to make interesting. And once the emerald's popped off the fight's just immediately over. No desperate last struggles, no cursing the heroes, we don't even see Metal actually go down, we just jump from his reaction as Overlord to finding him back in 'hog form and KOed 2 pages later.

Knuckles dunking the emerald back into place and flopping down on top of it was pretty good, though. That felt like a pretty well-earned moment of relief.

• Thumbs Up 3

Spoiler

Is weird, some people are actually confused if is a he or she. Is a slightly androgenous design, I like it. I would give a Kuja from Final Fantasy IX type of voice.

I don't know what the big difference between 10 and 11 is for me, but 11 thoroughly entertained me. I 'm not even for certain how to put it into words, but it might honestly be spectacle. Sure spectacle can and is frequently pretty shallow, and there is no doubt that 11 kind of suffers it at points, but I am a genuine sucker for spectacle and 11 delivered in ways that 10 never even came close to. If I have one complaint though, I'd rather have seen ABT illustrate 11 just to ramp the spectacle off the charts, but since his art is teth selling point for the rather overly tutorial-like writing of the TSR tie-in we couldn't have him here. Oh well.

On another note, I found Knuckles and his expressions this issue absolutely precious. Something about them just made me feel like I was getting the best of Flynn's Knuckles as well as his personality and body language from Mega Drive and Mania Adventures. On a whole I found Knuckles probably the best part of this issue.

As for the reveal, not enough to go on yet to form an opinion, but the seeds are planted so we'll see.

3 minutes ago, JosepHenry said:
  Hide contents

Is weird, some people are actually confused if is a he or she. Is a slightly androgenous design, I like it. I would give a Kuja from Final Fantasy IX type of voice.

The key to knowing the lack of pants. That's kind of a give away in sonic designs

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1
  • Absolutely 2

3 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

The key to knowing the lack of pants. That's kind of a give away in sonic designs

Actually, there are a couple of female background characters that don't have pants in Issue 3. 

Just noticed a small reference detail I quite liked.

Spoiler

When Silver unleashes his psychic hold to grab everyone midair, everyone other than Sonic is in a state of surprise...bar Blaze, who shoots Silver an impressed smile. 

Actually kind of nice 06 reference since in that timeline, Silver was unsure of himself and didn’t have a grasp on his abilities.

also Knuckles’ has some faces in this issue that is on par with mega drive and I love that

• Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Actually, there are a couple of female background characters that don't have pants in Issue 3. 

Progressive. Though to be fair, all the story relevant ones have pants. So among  designs sega may care about its consistent. They even put pants on sally, eventually

• Thumbs Up 1

I hate referring to ff in this thread but I mean Sally didn't wear pants. Could be a girl honestly

Also is neo still alive. Where does he go

57 minutes ago, JosepHenry said:
  Hide contents

no pants=male in Sonic's world

10 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

That is not true all the time  why do people keep saying this

It is, official SEGA rules are that males can't have pants, and issue 3 was just an exception that the SEGA officials did not pay attention to.

Females: pants always, Males: pants never, so it's a platypus guy 100%.

We're not in prereboot when SEGA had no mandates.