Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

3 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I assume literally?

"Say you ever wonder if we talk about velocity too much? I don't want to annoy anyone, but its important to stay on brand "

" Just Drive "

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Shadowlax said:

"Say you ever wonder if we talk about velocity too much? I don't want to annoy anyone, but its important to stay on brand "

" Just Drive "

Okay, that's still good, if not as much.

Also, it's SPEED!

Considering what I saw in the preview, I am not surprised the dialogue will be atrocious in this.

It was pretty fun. Not the most interesting issue ever with its lack of story…  I'm a bit disappointing about the lack of the otherworld-y thing. At least it was pretty fun too see, and fully dynamic. I think that it would be nice to see him in more "serious" stories, he really have a lot of fun in his writing.

He really could be an interesting second writer if we get more side-stories to the main comic-book. If it works well, it might make them do more side-comics. I'm happy when we get new writers, because it feel a bit fresher (even if the best writers was for me Aleah Baker, she made most of the best Sonic stories for me).

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

I'm happy when we get new writers, because it feel a bit fresher (even if the best writers was for me Aleah Baker, she made most of the best Sonic stories for me).

Not every writer is good

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Not every writer is good 

And seems that not every message isn't kinda obvious 😛

More seriously, it was implied that getting "good" new writers is good, it seemed kinda obvious to me xD

And I think that new ideas, new visions are important for long stories like Sonic. And I think that having someone next to Flynn, with some difference in the vision, could give more peps to the story. Here, the most "funky" style would complement well how much Flynn is dedicated to "how the character would act" (sometimes a bit too much), even if I would love someone with a bit of the "oldschool sci-fi style" too, like Bollers, etc.

1 minute ago, Kazhnuz said:

And seems that not every message isn't kinda obvious 😛

More seriously, it was implied that getting "good" new writers is good, it seemed kinda obvious to me xD

And I think that new ideas, new visions are important for long stories like Sonic. And I think that having someone next to Flynn, with some difference in the vision, could give more peps to the story. Here, the most "funky" style would complement well how much Flynn is dedicated to "how the character would act" (sometimes a bit too much), even if I would love someone with a bit of the "oldschool sci-fi style" too, like Bollers, etc.

Let Evan or Aleah complement Flynn.

16 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Having them again could be fun, and I would be really happy to see them do more Sonic. But I'm interested here by what I'm seeing in this new writer, because I feel he have a lot of potential, especially if he get more his own style with times.

I'm caring about what we have here : we have a new writer interested by working with IDW for IDWSonic (and I found he had some pretty interesting style), I'm interested to see how he could evolve (and I'm laughing about some anti-Flynn creating a false rivality between Flynn and him).

1 hour ago, Kazhnuz said:

He really could be an interesting second writer if we get more side-stories to the main comic-book. If it works well, it might make them do more side-comics. I'm happy when we get new writers, because it feel a bit fresher (even if the best writers was for me Aleah Baker, she made most of the best Sonic stories for me).

True. Maybe some new/other writers could help this book branch out a bit.

33 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

The latter already does so.

Oof. I wasn't expecting much in the story department, but damn....those lines.....big oof. So much cringe. But now for something brighter.

I call these Tails' slow decent into madness.

Spoiler

image.png.250358f4415107b7de2df9a9169dc055.png

Tails....Your Sonic side is showing.

Spoiler

Gt0dtq5.jpg

A great new reaction image and...OH SWEET JEEBUS WHAT IS WITH PSYCHOTIC LOOKING TAILS 0_0;

Spoiler

image.png.5624f9dec3b00659a69c090781bcea3b.png

Tails...buddy...my son....I think you need a hug. I know the bad people hurt you but...oh dear...

4 minutes ago, Tails4Smash said:

Oof. I wasn't expecting much in the story department, but damn....those lines.....big oof. So much cringe. But now for something brighter.

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Gt0dtq5.jpg

A great new reaction image and...OH SWEET JEEBUS WHAT IS WITH PSYCHOTIC LOOKING TAILS 0_0;

Hide contents

Tails...buddy...my son....I think you need a hug. I know the bad people hurt you but...oh dear...

You forget that he's a fox.

Gotta love that phallic metaphor beside him 

31 minutes ago, Tails4Smash said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Gt0dtq5.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

It was silly fun, but yeah... Those lines. 😅

Dodon Pa was amusing.

Spoiler

And yeah... Didn't expect Tails to find  his maniacal side in this. 😂

Actually, there were quite a bit more subtle hints towards the bigger picture than I thought there'd be. Like, yeah, there's the obvious explaining of the mechanics as a tie-in, but there are bit that more outside that scope, like; 

-The stuff going toward the abduction plot said in the solicit. We have Dodon Pa here studying racing like aliens studied human behaviour in any 50's B-movie, but then there's Big's remarks about being separated from Froggy again. Now, I'm going to go ahead and say that Big being abducted from Froggy is a bit more likely than Froggy going on a space run. 

-The fact that team Vector is clearly as non-functional a team as Free Riders' team Rose. They all have very different goals and are probably together because the rules stipulate teams.

Also, I like looking at the Wisp choices in the Sentai shot. Some are just matched based on colour (Tails' Orange Rocket, Knuckles' Crimson Eagle. Silver's Grey Quake), some are more for the thematic match (Blaze's Red Burst, Omega's Cyan Laser, Rouge's Purple Frenzy, the Chao's Black Bomb) and those that mean something else (Big's Jade Ghost, Amy's Blue Cube, Vector's Pink Spikes). Considering that was the writer's doing as well, that's a neat touch from him.

• Thumbs Up 2

Spoiler

Was anybody else shocked that Eggman was by himself the whole time and didn't have a team? 

54 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Hide contents

Jade Ghost

Spoiler

Is that it's official name?

1 hour ago, Dejimon11 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Was anybody else shocked that Eggman was by himself the whole time and didn't have a team? 

His ego is big enough for a whole team.

Alright, so instead of giving the Team Sonic Racing comic a serious review I'm just gonna read it right now and give commentary on what I'm reading as I go. I'll probably end up going nitpick theater on it for fun because of that. Never really done this before but it's the perfect time to test it out.

Spoiler

Narrator: Driving cars fast enough to entertain even Sonic.
I'm sure Sonic finds entertainment in things other than just going fast. Can't you see him playing basketball, playing cards, lounging at the beach, and playing video games with his buddy? I'm sure you can.

Knuckles: Sonic and Shadow are off in their own little world in their SPEED TYPE CARS (trademark restricted copyright) but we've gotta make sure to win, too!
Tails: Right, we've got the TEAM SCORE to think about!

It's like Tails and Knuckles both forgot the rules so they're secretly trying to scream what they think the rules are at each other in the hopes that it'll come off as natural and organic conversation between the two. Thinking about it that way makes it funny.

Knuckles: HNGH! I can handle Omega, in my POWER TYPE RACER!
Just making sure this is a POWER TYPE RACER. Everybody got that?

Omega: Bring the pain protocols initiated
That's still funny.

Knuckles: I'm counting on you to outwit Rouge with your TECHNIQUE-TYPE-CAR-SKILLS!
Alright, this one kind of broke me a bit. No one talks like this. Reading that in my head hurt. Saying that out-loud almost made my tongue trip over itself. I don't buy that primitive Knuckles said that completely straight on his first try.

Tails: I've noticed everyone's car has a unique slipstream. I think that's the key to using kinetic contact to our advantage.
That actually sounded like it could be something Tails would naturally say. Probably because it's structured in a way that makes it seem like he's discovering something or figuring something out rather than just blurting out what type of model his car is, like a dork. "YO! This is MTV CRIBZ! CHECK OUT MY WORKSHOP IN MYSTIC RUINS! I've got the snazziest plane and the bestest TECHNIQUE-TYPE-CAR-SKILLZ!"

Eggman: No! I'm totally here as a special guest!
Dodonpa: Sure. Why not?
Eggman: Er...
*Sonic giggles*

Okay. That was funny too actually.
Also, two things that I find humorous. One, this comic seems to be the first official "reveal" of Eggman and his car in this game. (we saw Eggman in one of the latest trailers but he's only mildly visible when the footage is slowed down). Two, it would seem as though Dodonpa and Eggman aren't actually one in the same... which is interesting. Seeing them away from one another wasn't enough to convince me but I can't imagine Eggman would willingly put himself down like that if he was pulling the strings behind this dude. Also, his name being the literal move that Tao Pai Pai, Tien, and Chiaotzu use still kills me.

Eggman: Vehicle, schmehicle! Wisps are where it's at! Gimmie!
Eggman is a fan of the wisps but we knew that already, if Colors wasn't a strong enough indication. Interesting still that he hasn't assembled a team yet too. Call me crazy but I'm starting to enjoy this comic.

Eggman: Yes! Cheating RULES!
PFFFFT~!

Sonic: What's with this guy? It's like he wants Eggman to win...
Is it? Eggman doesn't have a team. Providing more wisps to compensate for that seems like a bit of a fair trade. Maybe he just wants to make the Eggster a competitor because it would entertain him more. Also, Shadow called him a "Space Tanuki". Excellent. Boy howdy, the writing suddenly got a lot better after the clunky game manual exposition stopped. Go figure.

Sonic: Good thing I'm always one step ahead!
Shadow: In the case, I'm two steps ahead!

Look at Goku and Vegeta. Going at it again.

Eggman: I sure am glad you wisps aren't holding a grudge for that time I corrupted your entire species. To be honest, I can't even remember what all of you do. But I'm a scientist, by golly! Experimenting is my whole deal!
I love this fat bastard. 

Rouge: Think we can put out differences aside and focus on taking down our mutual robot-making foe?
NO! It's the Transformed comic all over again! Don't focus on just one dude! You're racing against both teams! I know it's Eggman and he's a jerk but come on! Emulate the game! Don't just throw the rules at us and ignore the actual interesting part about what makes it fun. Granted it was worse in the Transformed comic because that didn't even have the Team gimmick as an excuse but still...

Shadow: I'll be passing you next, Sonic.
Good. Please, fight each other. 

Rouge: Hm. Tails is acting almost as crafty as me. What do you think he's up to?
Omega: ELIMINATE EGGMAN!
Rouge: *Sigh*

Omega, you're the best and I love you. Please show up more often.

Amy: Let's stop Eggman!
NOOOO! Fight each other! COME ON! This is a race! You still lose if your team doesn't place! Who cares about Eggman? He doesn't even have a team! Work with your own team to move past him if you feel it's necessary but the point calculation at the end is only going to matter the most so long as he isn't literally in first.

Blaze: Monetary rewards are beneath a princess. I live to mete out justice.
...? Then why the fuck are you here?

Vector: Eggman's not getting away with this. I want Dodonpa's prize money!
Well that was obvious. I didn't even wait for the story details before guessing that was Vector's motivation and drawing up that parody comic about why Espio and Charmy went to Twinkle Park instead. I'm also guessing Vector thinks this race is the one that'll grant the winner the prize money... so sure.

Silver: All I want is a peaceful tomorrow...
...? ... Thanks for that... illuminating summary of your character Silver. Yeah, Silver and Blaze don't seem to have much of a reason for being here aside from popularity. At least GIVE them a reason though. If you're gonna replace Vector's employees you're also gonna need to substitute their motivations... 

Vector: I'm glad you radioed, Tails. We were getting bored waiting for the next race.
Wait. WAITWAITWAITWAIT! So you're not even supposed to BE racing right now? So... YOU'RE cheating too right? Isn't that what that means? We gotta stop Eggman from cheating... TIME TO CHEAT! Tails, you really are the Riddler.

Silver: Yes... Fun.
... Are you... not having fun Silver? It... doesn't seem like you want to be here...?

Eggman: Hm. So, Sonic and Shadow totally passed me... and I'm completely surrounded by enemies. Ah well. I'm sure it'll work out.
*Disappointed Tails face*

I LOVE YOU EGGMAN! You're so fucking good! You're too good for this world goddammit. I prefer this to the Transformed comic where all he did was get MORE angry.

Dodonpa: Oh, right. Blue hedgehog and black hedgehog... I wasn't really paying attention.
This guy is interesting. I like him. 

INTERVIEW SECTION!

Derek: We worked closely with SEGA to develop this mode, especially to answer all the questions we knew fans would be asking, such as: why would Sonic choose to drive a car when he can run even faster? You'll just have to play Team Sonic Racing to find out!
It's because it's against the rules to not be in a vehicle during a vehicle based competition. Nevermind answering obvious shit. Why is Knuckles off racing? Why did Vector leave his team behind? Why is Blaze here? HOW is Blaze here? Why is Silver here? HOW is Silver here? Why do neither Silver or Blaze seem like they have an actual motivation to be here?

Derek: Sonic Heroes was obviously an inspiration-it's why our teams consist of three characters, as well as our inspiration for some of our team lineups.
 If by "some" you mean "two" than you're right. I'd have left the Sonic Heroes teams as they were and just put the Chao racer with Silver and Blaze personally. 

Derek: Trying to pick our favorite characters and locations was a big early challenge, because there are so many to choose from! This caused lots of arguments in the office!
Employee 1: What sense does it make to have Vector be on a team with Silver and Blaze?
Employee 2: Where ELSE would he go!
Employee 3: I want to put in Rooftop Run and Planet Wisp!
Employee 1: You mean the assets from Generations that Sonic Forces DIDN'T use?
Employee 3: Let's put in Seaside Hill!
Employee 1: AGAIN!? It's been in every Sonic racing game we've done! What is that OUR Green Hill Zone or something?
Employee 4: Also another asset from Generations that Forces didn't use.
Employee 3: Ah but Espio mentioned Seaside Hill in Forces, so it counts.
Employee 2: Who's Espio?
Employee 3: Espio is one of Vector's teammates from the Chaotix?
Employee 2: VECTOR HAS TEAMMATES?!?!?!?!

Derek: During races your teammates and rivals can talk to you over your 'Team Comms' system, for which we recorded over 5,000 lines of dialogue.
Holy... a-are all of those going to be IN the game...? I mean, I'd assume so, probably, but... Jesus. That's a lot. If they're all in the game, at least the game will have a lot of something.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:
  Hide contents

Is that it's official name?

That is what it's called in the script in the extras section, yes.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

Given how people feel about Pontaff that sounds like a bad thing

From what i’ve observed of it, this writing is even worse than Pontaff...

But it’s still nice to get some story information on the delayed TSR. Eggman has no team? Is he a sixteenth character, or are there two more solo entry characters? And Jade Ghost is an interesting concept for the fourth Corrupted Wisp. This one having become a sickly pallid green, rather than purple or black. Plenty of room for speculation.

2 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

From what i’ve observed of it, this writing is even worse than Pontaff...

Definitely at the beginning when they were speaking like they were reading from an instruction book but when they knocked that shit off, I was getting into some of the dialogue a lot more. Namely from Eggman, Omega, and Dodonpa. 

This guy is growing on me. He's like a slightly less eccentric Grandmaster from Thor Ragnarok. Only you can tell he's totally getting off on all the danger from the races. His interest in Sonic and Shadow just faded away at the very end when he was observing Eggman and the way he blew up. 

If the writing in the game lives up to what I'm seeing snippets of here (which there's a chance it might not) I'll probably come away from this really liking his character. If anything this kind of personality is more interesting to me on a surface level than someone like Infinite. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1