Jump to content
Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Well, I didn't say anything about school. Playgrounds and parks are efficient enough.

Or maybe little girls could come in with tears in their eyes, begging for a hero to find the mean big kid who stole their dollie. And the young detective boy shifts his giant detective hat on top of the helmet he's already wearing to the side, smokes a lolli-pop like it were a cigar and goes "A sweet young dame is in danger. It's time I restored order."

And they ride off on the girls' tricycle towards infamy and glory.

I wonder if the school would have both humans and Mobians. Anyway, I can see someone making a fan comic of that idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Somehow I'm not too certain if it's a good idea to put Sonic and friends on the schoolbench, pre-reboot comics already tried that once. I know it isn't gameverse stuff so probabilities Sega had that much of a clue about that plot structure as a whole back then but still, I think many didn't really dig that version at least.

And what's so bad about physics? Gee Sonic, you're a scientifical miracle yourself! I seriously don't get why physics and math need to be painted as that ultimate combo everybody hate or something...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BlueSky said:

I seriously don't get why physics and math need to be painted as that ultimate combo everybody hate or something...

Math is the Devil!

Anyway while IDW don't really do Marvel/DC style events there's something I almost hope happens. Back in 2014 TMNT established that the Battle Nexus from the 2003 cartoon exists in it's canon but they haven't done anything with it. I think it'd be fun to see a Battle Nexus tournament crossover with Hasbro characters Maybe some Star Trek Characters The Ghostbusters (Why not they have a second crossover coming anyway) and of course Sonic.

I don't know. The Battle Nexus's whole thing was an interdimensional tournament so I think it could be fun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BlueSky said:

Somehow I'm not too certain if it's a good idea to put Sonic and friends on the schoolbench, pre-reboot comics already tried that once. I know it isn't gameverse stuff so probabilities Sega had that much of a clue about that plot structure as a whole back then but still, I think many didn't really dig that version at least.

And what's so bad about physics? Gee Sonic, you're a scientifical miracle yourself! I seriously don't get why physics and math need to be painted as that ultimate combo everybody hate or something...

I could imagine maybe Cream being homeschooled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Miru the Living Planet said:

Do you think a crossover with the old continuity is warranted even though this thing may even be just a separate adaptation in the same medium and not a reboot? What should happen in that crossover?

That's an interesting question. Well I would imagine the IDWverse would be a whole new universe whether than a rebooted universe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A school based Sonic could work really well, if done right, given the characters' ages. They'd  have to really dedicate themselves to the concept, in a way the preboot comic simply couldn't.

Some stuff would have to be tweaked or ignored, though, like maybe some of their respective ages and backstories-- sort of how Sonic Boom does it, I guess.

The big question is what you do about Eggman, though. Is he a villain Sonic and friends have to fight around classes, Power Rangers-style? Or do you make him a part of that scenario, like an evil teacher or principal or something?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Flyinpenguin117 said:

I've seen too many "Mobius High School" fanfics for me to ever accept a school-based comic. I hate to compare the comics to fanfiction, but its probably the single biggest cliche in Sonic fanfiction, short of maybe Shadow being a vampire.

I see what you mean. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think putting the majority of the cast in school is viable.  That's partly as it conflicts with the adventurous nature of the series; school stories have to be completely different.  But it also requires confronting the ages of the characters, which by and large have never been more than nominal; the characters in terms of design and lifestyle are so alien from reality that they're frankly ageless, to the extent that I've never really understood why they have ages at all.  Only those characters who actually read as "children" relative to the rest, like Charmy and Cream, I think you could really put in school.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FFWF said:

I don't think putting the majority of the cast in school is viable.  That's partly as it conflicts with the adventurous nature of the series; school stories have to be completely different.  But it also requires confronting the ages of the characters, which by and large have never been more than nominal; the characters in terms of design and lifestyle are so alien from reality that they're frankly ageless, to the extent that I've never really understood why they have ages at all.  Only those characters who actually read as "children" relative to the rest, like Charmy and Cream, I think you could really put in school.

Its supposed to like reflect youth and rebelliousness. But sonic hasn't really been a " rebel" in a while, sonic booms version is more just snarky. But that's why the ages exist right, also because it seems sonic team apparently would like to tell stories about sonic being younger, but I guess dont have ...whatever they need right now to tell those stories. All sonic characters are , at least most are shonen anime protagonists. So the age is supposed to be on some level relateble. " Oh he's just a kid or teen like me" . Like recently Miyamoto came out and said mario is in his mid 20's. And people were like BWaaah? I guess they want to with details like that shape the narrative and view of their characters.

Then there are characters like shadow, who are immortal. So you know, ages only mean so much

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honest though I hope they really do get Ian to write for this comic again. not only does he know how to do a good Sonic comic but  because from the looks of it, his kickstarter is not looking good at all.

Kind of bugs me still though that Aaron Webber just disregarded and copped out of the question when he was asked "what his favorite Archie issue was" a stream or 2 ago. makes me think just how much SoA cared about the Archie and its team at all and if our cries to have that team come back is even being heard. will they bring anyone back except Tyson Hesse? or does SoA have the general mindset of anything or anybody from Archie is bad and therefore shouldn't be brought on to do the IDW project? Makes me wonder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aaron never struck me as someone interested in the comic, considering his start was through Phantasy Star and not so much the Sonic fan community. 

But then, the calls for Ian Flynn to return would presumably go through more than just Aaron. He's not the be all and end all of SoA's business stuff.

...I would say it's ironic that the guy who was really into the Archie stuff was the Brit community manager, but I'd be calling the kettle black. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Putting Sonic in school is an odd concept because although Sonic does live in Earth (or whatever), it doesn't mean they share the same culture and tradition as us in real life. This is a world where teens and very young kids can fight bad guys. They have an 8 year old driving a car and plane. A 12 year old girl probably lives alone. Archie had that issue too, trying to make the world more "realistic" by explaining mobians. They used to say humans need proper training to fight which is why Cream can't fight while Charmy and Tails can. 

5 hours ago, goku262002 said:

Kind of bugs me still though that Aaron Webber just disregarded and copped out of the question when he was asked "what his favorite Archie issue was" a stream or 2 ago. makes me think just how much SoA cared about the Archie and its team at all and if our cries to have that team come back is even being heard. will they bring anyone back except Tyson Hesse? or does SoA have the general mindset of anything or anybody from Archie is bad and therefore shouldn't be brought on to do the IDW project? Makes me wonder.

Maybe he supports Archie as a Branch of Sonic and a product everyone enjoys, just not interested in it personally. I understand that feel. He may have cut it out because he can't provide an answer. Better than saying "I don't read the comic (or only read a few)"  "I don't have any"  or even lying, which would probably cause more reactions.

Just because Aaron disregarded, it doesn't mean the entire SoA doesn't care. Also, notcaring =/= dislike. Also also, doesn't the staff of IDW listen to the voices too? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

Just because Aaron disregarded, it doesn't mean the entire SoA doesn't care. Also, notcaring =/= dislike. Also also, doesn't the staff of IDW listen to the voices too? 

Yes, IDW has continuously asked for suggestions and feedback on what people want. Even if it's something like "Bring back Nack" or "Bring back Sally" or even "Make it more like Fleetway", they're after that feedback. So they're definitely listening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, havikinazuma said:

I myself hope that the Freedom Fighters aren't in the new series, or have a significantly shortened role

I understand both sides of the Freedom Fighter argument . The Archie comics were always separate from the main series, happily doing their own thing for 20-odd years and accruing their own fans. The Freedom Fighters were a huge part of the Archie Sonic identity, along with the rest of non-game cast. The series suffered a huge cast cull at the idiotic behest of Penders, and now there's the very real risk that even the remains are going to be gotten rid of. That sucks for all the fans out there.

But personally? I just wouldn't mind. In fact, I'd actually much rather that the new IDW series started completely afresh, using the game characters exclusively to begin with and introducing others (either the Freedom Fighters or new characters) down the line as necessary. This would be an entirely new series, totally separate from Archie. That series got an unfair and ungracious death, but personally the extensive history of it completely put me off getting into it. The fact that many of the years of the comic were utter tripe doesn't help matters.

SEGA and IDW would be missing a trick of they tried to pick up the pieces from Archie when it was already such a legal mess. Learn from it, pull from it when you can but ultimately just make something new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, goku262002 said:

Honest though I hope they really do get Ian to write for this comic again. not only does he know how to do a good Sonic comic but  because from the looks of it, his kickstarter is not looking good at all.

 

Man, it bugs me how apathetic people are to Ian's work that isn't Sonic. Especially as a lot of it is better than Sonic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jack the Rookie said:

My problem with the Freedom Fighters is that they had more focus and screentime than the Sega characters. That's all, so it they appeared for cameos or smaller roles there would be no issue.

I never read the pre-reboot comics, but am I the only one who didn't get this feeling? Bunnie and Antoine might as well have not even existed, SEGA mandated that every issue have game characters in it (hence Tails and Big tagging along in Spark of Life), Champions didn't have any Freedom Fighters, Ambushed highlighted how useless they are without Sonic, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Flyinpenguin117 said:

I never read the pre-reboot comics, but am I the only one who didn't get this feeling? Bunnie and Antoine might as well have not even existed, SEGA mandated that every issue have game characters in it (hence Tails and Big tagging along in Spark of Life), Champions didn't have any Freedom Fighters, Ambushed highlighted how useless they are without Sonic, etc.

Yeah that's what I don't get about the "Freedom Fighters stole the Spotlight" Crowd. You might as well complain about Tails Amy and Knuckles having any spotlight because it's about as much as the FF got Post-Reboot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Man, it bugs me how apathetic people are to Ian's work that isn't Sonic. Especially as a lot of it is better than Sonic.

Please, IF ONLY I had money I'd become a part of that Kickstarter! And even when I don't have any I'm still considering, all the time.

The thing is, I'm worried about my economical situation while I still would love to help him, I feel so torned... And a bit bad,  kind of fan I am, not being able to back someone up in a project like this.

This is one of the reasons why I'm so cautious towards the new comics and Forces; I wouldn't feel too good for buying something I end up not caring about after I get it in my hands for few seconds. I just can't afford buying stuff I cannot be certain enough about when I even can't back up someone I know could do a fantastic story. And considering the theme is kind of close to my heart, it's even more frustrating to me...

---

56 minutes ago, Flyinpenguin117 said:

I never read the pre-reboot comics, but am I the only one who didn't get this feeling? Bunnie and Antoine might as well have not even existed, SEGA mandated that every issue have game characters in it (hence Tails and Big tagging along in Spark of Life), Champions didn't have any Freedom Fighters, Ambushed highlighted how useless they are without Sonic, etc.

Well, I have a bit same kind of feeling actually. I suppose they have had pretty 50-50 screentime when divided roughly in comicscast and gamecast, but the activity meter is completely another story.

To me it seems as the gamecastfans have their own lenses and comicscastfans another pair entirely. It's all about your personal context that warps the scene for you.

And while I aknowledge the FF had done some "cool stuff" in the books, it always ends up feeling like they get downplayed in the last minute, the climax is for Sonic as it should be since it's "his" comics, but I feel they get a bit too downplayed. Last part of Panic in the Sky felt a bit off for me over the matter how they just started partying again, even when the whole thing started from the scene where they were practically partying before the fat scientist laughed. It wasn't a bad ending we got after that phase and people can mace bad choices considering when it's time to stop fighting and start partying, but still. 

Still I think king Nigel was probably one of the coolest things in the whole 4-parter, gee it's a pity if he get's wiped out too.

Or any of them...

11 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Yeah that's what I don't get about the "Freedom Fighters stole the Spotlight" Crowd. You might as well complain about Tails Amy and Knuckles having any spotlight because it's about as much as the FF got Post-Reboot.

You nailed it, thank you for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Spinneret said:

As I've said before I feel like characters such as the freedom fighters are needed to provide character development to the book since the Sega characters can't really change.

A pure Sega Sonic book would be boring.

I'd still take that over a book where the new characters are terrible. But I'd prefer interesting additional characters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.