Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

3 hours ago, Korke said:

If you don't like Sonic Forces, than don't buy it!

Alternative covers don't fall under this logic...

12 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Alternative covers don't fall under this logic...

In this case, it does. Because it looks like hastily made up just to create numbers and some extra cash.

2 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Are...are saying that you don't think Sega has rules for how their property should be used? I admit I'm not exactly the best at picking out intent in a post but like that's how this reads to me.

Of course not. My point is that, the strength of those, to the point of being used as excuse on every single problem the comic gets is really doubtful.

13 minutes ago, Korke said:

In this case, it does. Because it looks like hastily made up just to create numbers and some extra cash.

So are you gonna get it then? Or is it not necessary, it just seems like a waste.

If anyone on deviantart needed more clarification, due to lacking common sense,that Ian wasn't at fault for the loss of the saturday morning cartoon characters  he lays it out in the Q&A here too. 

Question: "Can we expect an IDW version of Queen Aleena the Hedgehog to appear in the new comics?"

Ian Flynn: "Not likely. SEGA, specifically SEGA of Japan, really, really doesn't like acknowledging previous spin-offs, whether it be cartoons or other nuances of the franchise. Once it's done, they kind of like to keep it done. That's part of why the Archie book was such an oddball thing. A lot of what was in it was thanks to a very, very old contract."

He goes on to say that he's not going to straight up say it isn't possible because IDW is a new contract and they're still building up a new relationship with them and that can have potential for new things in the future but... I dunno. Seems pretty done to me.

The most I can see happening is more characters inspired by ones from the past. Like Starline. 

• Thumbs Up 7

13 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

If anyone on deviantart needed more clarification, due to lacking common sense,that Ian wasn't at fault for the loss of the saturday morning cartoon characters  he lays it out in the Q&A here too. 

Question: "Can we expect an IDW version of Queen Aleena the Hedgehog to appear in the new comics?"

Ian Flynn: "Not likely. SEGA, specifically SEGA of Japan, really, really doesn't like acknowledging previous spin-offs, whether it be cartoons or other nuances of the franchise. Once it's done, they kind of like to keep it done. That's part of why the Archie book was such an oddball thing. A lot of what was in it was thanks to a very, very old contract."

He goes on to say that he's not going to straight up say it isn't possible because IDW is a new contract and they're still building up a new relationship with them and that can have potential for new things in the future but... I dunno. Seems pretty done to me.

The most I can see happening is more characters inspired by ones from the past. Like Starline. 

Tbh it's an endless loop of

Fans: "Can we have [old/obscure/Archie stuff] back in IDW??"
Ian: "Sorry, but no. Sega says no for all those stuff. But we'll see along the way. This is a brand new comic. For now just enjoy what's there."
Fans: "...but can we have [basically different thing in the same category]??????"

And it's NEVER gonna end. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

Yeah. He's emphasising a lot that this book is an entirely different beast from Archie quite a bit too. Here he says that rather than going in super hard on the lore, he's going at it from a more adventure by adventure basis due to the eyes that are on his stuff nowadays. Which is fine. They approve everything that's in the book. They're okay with new characters and Silver saying Crap and all that stuff. So that's neat.

I wish they'd have kept a closer eye on the people working on that fucking movie. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Yeah. He's emphasising a lot that this book is an entirely different beast from Archie quite a bit too. Here he says that rather than going in super hard on the lore, he's going at it from a more adventure by adventure basis due to the eyes that are on his stuff nowadays. Which is fine. They approve everything that's in the book. They're okay with new characters and Silver saying Crap and all that stuff. So that's neat.

I wish they'd have kept a closer eye on the people working on that fucking movie. 

I also guess this is why plans for Boom material have now gone down the gutter and haven’t been mentioned since the start. So, at least Flynn could do a tribute and final send-off to the older characters, as long as he promises to never use them again, right?

• Thumbs Up 1

Anyone following this series closely have any word on when IDW plans to drop a deluxe edition?

I collect the TMNT deluxe hardcovers. They're really well put together and it's probably my favorite way to go about reading that series. I'd like to do the same with Sonic but I've not been able to find info on when one is coming.

Also god, I hope they don't do the TMNT thing of having a million side series and one shots, trying to keep up with those is pricey when they shove three or four of them out the door each year.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

Anyone following this series closely have any word on when IDW plans to drop a deluxe edition?

I collect the TMNT deluxe hardcovers. They're really well put together and it's probably my favorite way to go about reading that series. I'd like to do the same with Sonic but I've not been able to find info on when one is coming.

Also god, I hope they don't do the TMNT thing of having a million side series and one shots, trying to keep up with those is pricey when they shove three or four of them out the door each year.

I don't know what you mean for deluxe, but the volume 1 I bought contains 4 issues plus all the variants, at a cheap price. It's really good so I suggest it. They also did advertise it.

I also don't buy that shit about naming new locations being forbidden, no way, Sega is usually strict with game content and how it's handled, not comic exclusive content, it's why I don't buy it, I mean Ian managed to transform Angel Island into a flying fortress, why can't they introduce brand new locations? If that was the case, they wouldn't be able to introduce new characters at all. Is my logic correct? I hope so.

And for the people who still think IDW is boring as fuck, it's their opinions so they can keep them, try Archie, either the pre-reboot furry fan fiction, or the world building boredom that was the reboot. ( Though I admit the preboot Ian run was actually great and had more freedom, but it still wasn't Sonic enough).

1 minute ago, I Love Sticks said:

I don't know what you mean for deluxe, but the volume 1 I bought contains 4 issues plus all the variants, at a cheap price. It's really good so I suggest it. They also did advertise it.

With TMNT, they put out both trades and deluxe hardcover editions that collect around 13 issues. They're good about ordering everything chronologically, so any one shots or mini series get collected in the deluxe editions and placed where it makes the most sense in the story. That way you're able to soak up everything in one go. I believe they also do this with Transformers and I would assume others as well. I'm not sure if the paperback volumes do that too, but the deluxe editions just have an all around better presentation, so they're my preference.

Problem with TMNT at least is they run sooooo damn many miniseries and one shots, so these bigass deluxe editions release multiple times throughout the year. One just came out this month and I think the next is due out in March. At 30-50 a pop, it gets costly.

Anyway, I'm just trying to figure out if they're going to give Sonic the same treatment. Figured maybe someone here might have heard of something.

I estimate we won’t be getting any deluxe edition until, at least, this time next year.

They wouldn’t be doing any deluxe version of the first year until the standard graphic novels have covered them all first, and the final one to do that isn’t coming until May.

5 hours ago, I Love Sticks said:

And for the people who still think IDW is boring as fuck, it's their opinions so they can keep them, try Archie, either the pre-reboot furry fan fiction, or the world building boredom that was the reboot. ( Though I admit the preboot Ian run was actually great and had more freedom, but it still wasn't Sonic enough).

So basically IDW with more content.

Not sure how one compares a fairly new comic that just recently hit the double digits to one closing in at 300 tho. Archie started the same way, with a lot less than what IDW could work with.

14 hours ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

I hope they do. The IDW Collection concept is pretty cool I like the idea of a hardcover that actually collects everything in a proper chronological order or as close as possible. 

7 hours ago, I Love Sticks said:

I also don't buy that shit about naming new locations being forbidden, no way, Sega is usually strict with game content and how it's handled, not comic exclusive content, it's why I don't buy it, I mean Ian managed to transform Angel Island into a flying fortress, why can't they introduce brand new locations? If that was the case, they wouldn't be able to introduce new characters at all. Is my logic correct? I hope so.

Keep in mind that that's Angel Island, it becoming is resolved within same story arc, and it made Neo Metal Sonic look competent. SEGA has had a history of allowing things on the grounds that it either shows off or caters to their characters and/or eventually resolves itself to stick with their preferences. They also have a history of overlooking what could count as provocations because potatoes, but that's neither here nor there.

Also, I "love" how you call yourself being mature & rational only to turn around and shit on the other stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Also @CleverSonicUsername what's so bad about IDW's TMNT releases? It seems like the various miniseries are more or less an unofficial companion book. Doesn't really seem that complicated to me. 

Well first, I'm mostly being facetious when I say it's "bad." It's a good kind of bad, if that makes sense. I have more to buy which can be a bit of a hassle, but I have a lot of a good thing to sink my teeth into which is great.

I wouldn't call them "unofficial companions" though. With some exceptions (like 3/4 of Turtles in Time, and the annuals) the various TMNT side stories, one shots, and miniseries fold back into the main plot in some pretty important ways. Characters and whole concepts are introduced in those, like the idea of the Pantheon, Kitsune, and her contract with Krang being part of The Secret History of the Foot Clan. Without that, you'd get a bit of Shredder yelling about finding her and then her just showing up a bit after with no real context. At least not enough for either point to be impactful in the way it's supposed to be. Even characters like Alopex or Harold are introduced in one shots, but become very important later on, and their initial connections with the Turtles in their respective one shots are pretty important to really understand or appreciate their development.

And that's why the deluxe editions are so great. You get a hell of a lot of comic in these nice hard covers with all the side stories included and ordered so they make sense. You can go at those from front to back cover and treat it as one whole story, which is really the way it feels like it was meant to be.

Anyway this is a long walk to me saying I hope Sonic gets a similar release.

17 hours ago, Panda in a Pear Tree said:

I estimate we won’t be getting any deluxe edition until, at least, this time next year.

They wouldn’t be doing any deluxe version of the first year until the standard graphic novels have covered them all first, and the final one to do that isn’t coming until May.

Ah ok, that makes sense then.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

So its sade to assume Shadow is barely a mainstream character in this comic and Ian really doesn't want to focus on him when telling a story around Sonic, his main friends and his main enemies.

On 12/13/2018 at 6:02 AM, I Love Sticks said:

Pretty sure it was just Ian's personal choice not to name the new locations we saw because it would be clutter/world-building for the sake of it or something. Nothing about it being a mandate. And.. we're still only 11 issues in..

On 12/13/2018 at 6:02 AM, I Love Sticks said:

I'd like it'll eventually become less boring without doing that. 

• Fist Bump 2

30 minutes ago, Razule said:

I'd like it'll eventually become less boring without doing that. 

That's the thing: we don't know WHEN it will get better. What if the comic gets cancelled right before it starts hitting its stride, like the Post-Boot?

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

That's the thing: we don't know WHEN it will get better. What if the comic gets cancelled right before it starts hitting its stride, like the Post-Boot?

Apparently it sells well, so hopefully that won't happen. But.. there are unforeseen circumstances that are impossible to predict, so there's no point in worrying about that now. Reception is good, sales are good.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

20 minutes ago, Razule said:

I know you're just stating your concern and possible outcome, but DON'T JINX IT!

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

So its sade to assume Shadow is barely a mainstream character in this comic and Ian really doesn't want to focus on him when telling a story around Sonic, his main friends and his main enemies.

I mean, he was given a relatively major contribution to the finale of the first arc, so....

With that said, that is more or less an issue with using Shadow in general.

With a cast of at least 20 or more characters, I’m pretty sure Shadow can afford to share focus.

For the umpteenth time, he’s not the only character that matters in the whole comic.

• Thumbs Up 3

Am I seriously the only one who like actually enjoys the book and doesn't find it boring? I think it's fun. It might not have the "Deepest Lore" but that doesn't make it bad.