Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

1 minute ago, SBR2 said:

It might not have the "Deepest Lore" but that doesn't make it bad.

Problem is, it doesn't have much else either, aside from fanservice and exposition dumps.

• Thumbs Up 2

Don't worry @SBR2, I rather much enjoy the book as well. There were a couple of issues that didn't do anything for me and at least one I thought was completely unnecessary but I've otherwise been enjoying the comic so far. Now though that we are out of the introduction phase (bar reintroducing Eggman) and we know that Flynn want's to focus on stories on an adventure by adventure basis like the games I'm actually kind of hoping that we'll start seeing more focused and lengthy story arcs that grounded in a distinct region that will infuse the whole story with it's personality. I mean, if there was one weakness with the first year is that almost every visited location was infused with some trace of the Resistance or Eggman Empire and then the climax was on Angel Island which had neither. It was kind of a failure in tone and setting cohesion that ultimately only really worked because Knuckles is the Leader of the Resistance and Angel island is directly tied to him. Even then though, Metal despite being an Eggman creation is so strong in his own force of personality and opposition of Sonic that the Eggman Empire was possible to perceive as uninvolved and I sorely missed it to be sure.

All of that said though, I'm still enjoying the ride and looking forward to year two. I may have my criticisms, but that in no way undermines how much I'm enjoying the ride so far.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Am I seriously the only one who like actually enjoys the book and doesn't find it boring? I think it's fun. It might not have the "Deepest Lore" but that doesn't make it bad.

I'm not really sure myself, but personally it just doesn't feel like much more than character interaction, action, good art. Those are all good things, but I kinda also need.. plot. Not asking for anything much, I know this is just Sonic the Hedgehog. I'd just like more of a plot to be happening, which I'm fine with waiting for. This is still early on. But if it stays like this, I won't feel the need to keep up every month. 

• Thumbs Up 2

At the very least, the return of Rough n' Tumble, the apparent restoration of Eggman, and the introduction of Dr. Starline should fix some that.

• Thumbs Up 3

"Deep lore" is really the last thing on my mind; I'm more concerned that the story doesn't seem substantial or meaningful in the moment.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Am I seriously the only one who like actually enjoys the book and doesn't find it boring? I think it's fun. It might not have the "Deepest Lore" but that doesn't make it bad.

Well at its worst, it does a far better job in storytelling than the games. And it’s not bad. It just feels...lacking, for lack of a better word.

Mind you, a number of folks like myself come from the more inclusive Archie Sonic, so it’s always gonna come short until things pick up more.

It not so much about lore than just the content in general, characters, setting, action/conflict, and plot devices that go into it, which it does well in some areas and lacks in others.

That, and the restriction of other characters like the Egg Bosses puts a damper on things.

• Thumbs Up 2

We shall see. Bringing in the characters one by one this way was just a specific method chosen for the introductory arc most likely. It'll be up to what happens now that we're over the hump to see if it stands or if it changes.

I feel like it will. I figured the intro arc might have been something like this regardless. I enjoyed the majority of it for what it was too, aside from that climax, so I don't feel there's much to worry about at the moment.

• Thumbs Up 1

IDW Sonic is basically my first ever comic book series. I'm enjoying it so far, but I have to admit that there's nothing particularly exciting or surprising happening just yet. It's all pretty run of the mill action so far picking up where Forces left off and restablishing the series' lore. The only plot point that's actually very interesting came about when Metal Sonic showed up. Whatever is being teased with Starline and Eggman doesn't seem all to exciting just yet. I hope it continues to get better. If SEGA don't want it to veer too far away from the games, which is something I can understand and actually kind of agree with, the main problem is with the games having poor plots, characters and lore that kind of chokes the comics and their efforts to do anything with them.

• Thumbs Up 1

My issue is why should I pick the comic if the story is like the games??

Sonic and co go to angel island: already done

they fight Metal Sonic: already done

Must save the master emerald: already done.

I wanna see new stories with Starline and how dangerous he is to Sonic!! I wanna see Eggman gaining his evilness back and what new plan he comes up with!! Something we havent seen before instead of recycling angel island and metal sonic.

14 hours ago, DabigRG said:

I mean, he was given a relatively major contribution to the finale of the first arc, so....

With that said, that is more or less an issue with using Shadow in general.

Not really?

13 hours ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

With a cast of at least 20 or more characters, I’m pretty sure Shadow can afford to share focus.

For the umpteenth time, he’s not the only character that matters in the whole comic.

While again, I'm not one to agree with Dash Speed, but shadow actually can't? The value of shadow is that he like, does stuff. He takes initiative to do things himself, he's done nothing. And you can't have shadow around doing nothing, I would have preferred he just... didn't show up untill they had a story about him they could have him chew up some scenery.So no, there's a point where he actually cannot afford to share focus.

He isn't the only character in the comic, and instead of shoving him into year one. They should have waited, there are plenty of other characters who should have gotten shine over shadow.

12 hours ago, Ivo the Coldsteel said:

Problem is, it doesn't have much else either, aside from fanservice and exposition dumps.

That's a pretty good explanation for what this book is so far.

Exposition dumps about nothing that really matters right now and fanservice of varying qualities

13 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Am I seriously the only one who

No you're not. There are plenty of other people who feel the same way you do. Seriously stop saying this.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

My issue is why should I pick the comic if the story is like the games??

Sonic and co go to angel island: already done

they fight Metal Sonic: already done

Must save the master emerald: already done.

It really depends on the definition of the story being "like the games". Because from what I see, the comic feels pretty different from the game aside from focusing on the game characters and starting off from Forces. There are much more character development and interactions compared with the games. Also, Angel Island / Metal Sonic / Master Emerald is the most recognizable idea in the Sonic games. What better to use for a brand new series?

We still don't know what Ian is planning for the future. We don't know if they'll be using those over and over. Well, I'm sure they will, but it won't be immediate.

I wanna see new stories with Starline and how dangerous he is to Sonic!! I wanna see Eggman gaining his evilness back and what new plan he comes up with!! Something we havent seen before instead of recycling angel island and metal sonic.

How can you tell we won't be getting those? Eggman is threatened to gain his evilness back in the last chapter, and wasn't one of the future synopsis about a "new foe"? Wasn't there a rumor of one of the story about Sonic being infected with a running virus or something?  I feel those are pretty different from the games.

1 hour ago, KoDaiko said:

Also, Angel Island / Metal Sonic / Master Emerald is the most recognizable idea in the Sonic games. What better to use for a brand new series?

Yeah I feel Flynn wanted to start the book with those because it's only the beginning of the comic. But later I wanna see his own concepts (not just new characters, but also new items and locations), also he said in bumblekast that he likes the ghosts of Sonic so that'd be cool to see (not anytime soon though)

The book is still so much better than the games because it has character development and interaction.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Not really?

Which one?

1 hour ago, KoDaiko said:

How can you tell we won't be getting those? Eggman is threatened to gain his evilness back in the last chapter, and wasn't one of the future synopsis about a "new foe"? Wasn't there a rumor of one of the story about Sonic being infected with a running virus or something?  I feel those are pretty different from the games.

Ain't that half of what he said?

47 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

But later I wanna see his own concepts (not just new characters, but also new items and locations), also he said in bumblekast that he likes the ghosts of Sonic so that'd be cool to see (not anytime soon though)

The what now?

Just now, Marco9966 said:

What do you mean?

I thought "ghosts of Sonic" was some sort of obscure identity concept ala the multiple Links or Raven's emotions.

17 hours ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

With a cast of at least 20 or more characters, I’m pretty sure Shadow can afford to share focus.

For the umpteenth time, he’s not the only character that matters in the whole comic.

Shadow didnt really do anything that specifies to his character to warrant a specific role in stopping metal. 

Again, if he's going to play off of Sonic like everyone else, let him play a role only he can only play with Sonic. He's not Sonics buddy and more importantly he doesn't have any reason to be shoe horned into the resistance along with rouge and omega. He should have shown up with his own side story that lead up to working with Sonic and his friends like in sonic forces.

Ian really doesn't know what he wants shadow to do and it shows from this arc.

5 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

No you're not. There are plenty of other people who feel the same way you do. Seriously stop saying this.

Sorry to ask a simple question amongst the seemingly endless sea of negativity. 

15 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Sorry to ask a simple question amongst the seemingly endless sea of negativity. 

We're negative because we want this book to be better. Do you think any of us want this series canned? We just want something that will be as equal to, or even surpass, Archie Sonic. IDW just isn't giving us that fix in this first year. They say, first impressions are important. And as of now, I am NOT impressed. Ian can do so much better, and this year could have been better as well if only they made just a few simple changes. I've accepted the fact that SEGA's got an iron grip on this series, but that doesn't excuse heavy exposition, little-to-no world building, and a heavily anticlimatic fight and ending of the first arc. That there isn't SEGA's fault. That's all Ian, and I'm no longer afraid to criticize him.

Well... personally the comic so far isn't really bad... but just very... how can I say it... it is the same thing we have seen many times before. The comic kinda has a bit the same issue like most of the recent games. It only uses the most popular save characters, the story is about a new danger that has to be defeated by Sonic and his friends, create some new characters to get the attention of the fans, maybe some old fanservice thrown in there and that's kinda it.

I also think that the new comic takes a bit long to establish it's big ongoing story, which is kinda hard for the writers if first have to introduce every single popular characters of the series and the new once for new costumers. 

So far the comic is for me more of a build up of the new IDW Sonic universe. It could get interesting later on, but the only thing I can do now is just wait and hopefully not so long. 

Ya know, I think there is a fine line between genuine criticism for the sake of improvement and just expecting something bigger than it is.

I think some people should come to terms with the fact that this isn't Archie, and it's never going to be. The sooner people understand that, I think it'd be a lot easier to enjoy this series. 

• Thumbs Up 2