Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

6 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

I meant Tails there, not Amy. Tails has taken the most L's in this era. So much so to the point it really does make me wonder why, when they're pretty careful with everyone else when they take L's. I joke a lot that they really hate Tails or something, but sometimes I truly do wonder. I don't buy that personally, but the disconnect has me thrown all over the place.

Being scared isn't a bad thing. It's more compelling. The bravest of people are those who are scared but still act anyways. It's just as someone who has taken up a interest in writing/creating, I look for purpose in a lot of choices. How certain choices help a character, where it leads, etc. Like weak moments are not inherently a bad thing. But when they pile up so much and lead nowhere, it comes to a point where you wonder why even bother. Weak moments allow for things like redemption, growth, etc. But when a character is filled with so many weak moments and barely any strong moments...they look pathetic and more of a hindrance than a benefit. Characters need to have a natural course of moments where they fail, and triumph coming out stronger. Toddler Tails isn't doing anything for him or anyone.

Oh.

Well again, I feel like it's been them trying to get more meaningful character out of Tails, who's been the most straight-laced of the characters, but the sudden shift combined with the actual execution(and complete-ness) of the stories lately keep letting the intent down.

Like, if that SEGA game you're referencing came out half a decade ago, it almost certainly would just be seen as, "Tails uses gadgets to help others."

1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

Probsly the only people acting like this is a problem in the first place.

Um.... 😬

13 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Well again, I feel like it's been them trying to get more meaningful character out of Tails, who's been the most straight-laced of the characters, but the sudden shift combined with the actual execution(and complete-ness) of the stories lately keep letting the intent down.

Like, if that SEGA game you're referencing came out half a decade ago, it almost certainly would just be seen as, "Tails uses gadgets to help others."

I honestly disagree. It's not been trying to get any meaningful character out of him....at least outside of Lost World (Unless you count lost it, when he actually went missing). They half tried only in Lost World but didn't give a crap about the details that were important. Outside of Lost World trying something, there really is no intent with the character. He's there to either explain things or talk on others behalf. His character is completely in service to the forwarding the plot, or being someone Sonic has to save constantly. Though to be fair no one else really is being pushed forward. Sonic is the closest to that, but only Tails is actually going backwards compared to everyone else. Other characters are stagnant. Thrown into roles without meaning. No real thought or reason beyond being dolls to grab attention.

Sega Heroes. But I only use that more as a coincidence than a big argument. It's not an end of the Sonic world kinda problem. It's just so noticeable as it piles onto the only character who is regressing in practically every appearance he makes. The only bright spot lately is Sonic Mania and what relates to it (and I suppose IDW which is more on the verge of something). The only things left to regress on is probably if Sonic bores him to tears and isn't interested in taging along with him, and if planes become too scary so he won't make or fly them.

Just now, StaticMania said:

It's only wasted if they were actually planning to do something with it. They just use it as a quick gag so it's obviously not meant to go anywhere even if they focus on it, who cares...

It was going somewhere at the start then they just stopped.  Using it as a quick gag is a very poor way of using it and saying who cares to a person that cares about it just feels rude.

Probsly the only people acting like this is a problem in the first place.

More rudeness, saying the problem with something is someone who said there's a problem.

33 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

I honestly disagree. It's not been trying to get any meaningful character out of him....at least outside of Lost World (Unless you count lost it, when he actually went missing). They half tried only in Lost World but didn't give a crap about the details that were important. Outside of Lost World trying something, there really is no intent with the character. He's there to either explain things or talk on others behalf. His character is completely in service to the forwarding the plot, or being someone Sonic has to save constantly. Though to be fair no one else really is being pushed forward. Sonic is the closest to that, but only Tails is actually going backwards compared to everyone else. Other characters are stagnant. Thrown into roles without meaning. No real thought or reason beyond being dolls to grab attention.

.Nah, I feel like him striking out on his own after failing to help Sonic against the Eggy Six and occasionally helping the Resistance from behind the scenes could've been an interesting storyline for his character if they didn't more or less drop it early on.

Oh and in Lost World, I feel it was definitely another example of the writers reading character bios for information about the character, but not being experienced enough to know how to play it out. You know, on top of the story feeling like it's missing key details at points.

4 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

It was going somewhere at the start then they just stopped.  Using it as a quick gag is a very poor way of using it and saying who cares to a person that cares about it just feels rude.

I mean, it is a gag show half the time, so....

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

.Nah, I feel like him striking out on his own after failing to help Sonic against the Eggy Six and occasionally helping the Resistance from behind the scenes could've been an interesting storyline for his character if they didn't more or less drop it early on.

Oh and in Lost World, I feel it was definitely another example of the writers reading character bios for information about the character, but not being experienced enough to know how to play it out. You know, on top of the story feeling like it's missing key details at points.

Woulda been awesome if they went that route. Maybe afraid to lose anyone else so tries to do things on his own, which works to a degree to show competency, but also eventually doesn't work so the group motiv can be put up front. So you get some L's, Some W's, and some growth all at once.

I feel like every story lately is based on reading one bio and making things up.

2 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

Woulda been awesome if they went that route. Maybe afraid to lose anyone else so tries to do things on his own, which works to a degree to show competency, but also eventually doesn't work so the group motiv can be put up front. So you get some L's, Some W's, and some growth all at once.

Personally, I like the idea of him having, like, blueprints, some experimental gadgetry, the Wisp communication app, and instructions on how the others can proceed that he finalized to leave behind before he did so. Also partially forcing Knuckles to step up as Commander, which he probably would've had if he stayed barring a possible higher tank.

Then personally followup on major attacks by Infinite and the "returning" villains to gradually figure out how to go about defeating the Empire.

2 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

I feel like every story lately is based on reading one bio and making things up.

:joy:  Well, I mean, you're probably not wrong.

3 hours ago, Fire-N-Space said:

A show can say or imply something but if its not going to follow up then it just feels... wasted. You can see at the start of the series Amy tries to get Sonic's attention but later its only implied every now and then with Fire & Ice not even trying.  

You know, if we switched out the word "show" for "game", nothing really changes.

1 hour ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Maybe if it wasn't a comedy that would be true, but it is...so it's not a problem. It's not like they made any point in there being actual character development.

In the games it's even more of a gag because it's only ever used for laughs. Except for the 3 times it wasn't.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Sonictrainer said:

You know, if we switched out the word "show" for "game", nothing really changes.

This isn't true the games did a lot more with her crush than Boom does but if your only talking about the Boom games I can see what you mean. 

Maybe if it wasn't a comedy that would be true, but it is...so it's not a problem. It's not like they made any point in there being actual character development.

In the games it's even more of a gag because it's only ever used for laughs. Except for the 3 times it wasn't.

Amy's love isn't a gag other wise a comedy show would have use it more. And what makes it a gag in the first place? 

It's suppose to be funny how Sonic reacts to her advances, it's suppose to be funny that whenever Sonic doesn't reciprocate she gets angry, it's suppose to be funny that she's always chasing him.

That's cute and charming.

4 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Amy's love isn't a gag other wise a comedy show would have use it more.

This isn't true.

It's suppose to be funny how Sonic reacts to her advances, it's suppose to be funny that whenever Sonic doesn't reciprocate she gets angry, it's suppose to be funny that she's always chasing him.

That's cute and charming.

This isn't true.

With characters making so many long running gags in Sonic games it just makes me feel more confused as to why Boom only wanted to imply that she has a crush on Sonic as Eggman runs on gags in everything he does.

This isn't true the games did a lot more with her crush than Boom does

I can only think of 3 mainline games where Amy was essential to the plot and not just included because it's a "All Characters Needed" situation, "Cameo Time", or "This looks like a Job for Amy Rose".

Amy's love isn't a gag other wise a comedy show would have use it more. And what makes it a gag in the first place? 

proof_of_shadamy__by_thecruelone.jpg

A running gag, or running joke, is a literary device that takes the form of an amusing joke or a comical reference and appears repeatedly throughout a work of literature or other form of storytelling. Though they are similar, catchphrases are not considered running gags.

Running gags can begin with an instance of unintentional humor that is repeated in variations as the joke grows familiar and audiences anticipate reappearances of the gag. The humor in a running gag may derive entirely from how often it is repeated, however the underlying statement or situation will always require some form of jocularity. Therefore, a statement which is merely trivial in nature will not turn into a running gag simply by being repeated over and over again. A running gag may also derive its humor from the (in)appropriateness of the situation in which the gag occurs, or setting up the audience to expect another occurrence of the joke and then substituting something else (bait and switch). Running gags are found mostly in television shows, but also appear in other places, such as video games, films, books, and comic strips.

5 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Personally, I like the idea of him having, like, blueprints, some experimental gadgetry, the Wisp communication app, and instructions on how the others can proceed that he finalized to leave behind before he did so. Also partially forcing Knuckles to step up as Commander, which he probably would've had if he stayed barring a possible higher tank.

Then personally followup on major attacks by Infinite and the "returning" villains to gradually figure out how to go about defeating the Empire.

:joy:  Well, I mean, you're probably not wrong.

It for some reason kinda sounds like Sora from Digimon who helped everyone on the sidelines but went out and did her own thing while secretly helping her friends. She did this cause her crest wasn't working and as a way to help the team while they were split up due to differences. And Fun fact the same voice for Sora there is the current voice of Tails now. Bam!

I mean at least it doesn't seem like threw ideas at a dart board and just went with it ala the cartoons.

3 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

It for some reason kinda sounds like Sora from Digimon who helped everyone on the sidelines but went out and did her own thing while secretly helping her friends. She did this cause her crest wasn't working and as a way to help the team while they were split up due to differences. And Fun fact the same voice for Sora there is the current voice of Tails now. Bam!

Oh shit, that's pretty damn close! And HOW! :smiley:

3 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

I mean at least it doesn't seem like threw ideas at a dart board and just went with it ala the cartoons.

Wow. You don't have a great opinion of them, huh?

4 hours ago, Fire-N-Space said:

With characters making so many long running gags in Sonic games it just makes me feel more confused as to why Boom only wanted to imply that she has a crush on Sonic as Eggman runs on gags in everything he does.

Maybe because being a new alternative continuity means they don't have to stick to old gags...

And every single other piece of Sonic media has run the Amy's crush gag into the ground already, which is most certainly why it hasn't be prevalent at all the past 5 years. Instead it's played more straightforward and less as a joke.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Oh shit, that's pretty damn close! And HOW! :smiley:

Wow. You don't have a great opinion of them, huh?

The same voice actress for Tails now also is your mother figure in the new South Park games....and if you played them you are now having that horrid mental image....If not you may get the horrid mental image😈

Hey....I think Mania Adventures was pretty sweet, and the OVA with a few changes and a better cast would be phenomenal. Other then that to not be a total negative nancy I'll say AOSTH can be kinda fun in a bizarre Looney Tunes-ish way...and does have the advantage of believing in its lunacy rather than rejecting it like the meta stuff today. Never watched SATAM nor really have an interest to. Can't comment on it's quality outside of a kick ass theme. X can sometimes make Sonic feel cool as well as have some likable enough humans. We don't get those often. Boom....well...uh....I mean....I liked that time Eggman convinced Sonic to wear a flower outfit...one of the few times I laughed and thought it was a fitting joke..............I did say TRY to not be a total negative nancy.....

I can only think of 3 mainline games where Amy was essential to the plot and not just included because it's a "All Characters Needed" situation, "Cameo Time", or "This looks like a Job for Amy Rose".

proof_of_shadamy__by_thecruelone.jpg

Really only Sonic and Eggman are essential to the plot and Amy mistaking someone for Sonic only happen in two games.

Maybe because being a new alternative continuity means they don't have to stick to old gags...

And every single other piece of Sonic media has run the Amy's crush gag into the ground already, which is most certainly why it hasn't be prevalent at all the past 5 years. Instead it's played more straightforward and less as a joke.

This new alternative continuity didn't stop them from using the other characters old running gags, Amy's crush on Sonic is still prevalent but the past 5 years have been Sonic only with her being use very little but her crush is still going strong in games like Sonic Dash, Sonic Forces and the Mario & Sonic 2016 Olympic games when you talk to her.

Amy mistaking someone for Sonic only happen in two games.

maxresdefault.jpg

3 times.

Speaking of Sonic Boom, in Fire & Ice, the game starts out with Sonic & Amy working together, alone, on a mission.

When's the last time this happened in the main game universe? Sonic Advance 3?

1 hour ago, Sonictrainer said:

maxresdefault.jpg

3 times.

Sad, because that time, she had it right.

Not to try an rerail this back to IDW or anything but today should be the Solicits, right? They don't seem to be out yet.

• Chuckle 1

23 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

Can't say much on the show. Stopped watching it a long while ago after hating pretty much everything about it. I do know however she was only portrayed as that supreme badass figure in Shattered Crystal only...probably because Amy getting kidnapped is tiring and they wanted to make it less...so? I guess.

I meant Tails there, not Amy. Tails has taken the most L's in this era. So much so to the point it really does make me wonder why, when they're pretty careful with everyone else when they take L's. I joke a lot that they really hate Tails or something, but sometimes I truly do wonder. I don't buy that personally, but the disconnect has me thrown all over the place.

Being scared isn't a bad thing. It's more compelling. The bravest of people are those who are scared but still act anyways. It's just as someone who has taken up a interest in writing/creating, I look for purpose in a lot of choices. How certain choices help a character, where it leads, etc. Like weak moments are not inherently a bad thing. But when they pile up so much and lead nowhere, it comes to a point where you wonder why even bother. Weak moments allow for things like redemption, growth, etc. But when a character is filled with so many weak moments and barely any strong moments...they look pathetic and more of a hindrance than a benefit. Characters need to have a natural course of moments where they fail, and triumph coming out stronger. Toddler Tails isn't doing anything for him or anyone.

Thank you for describing a of bad stories and fanfiction for me. While it happening to tails is unfortunate and due to incompitence , its pretty common for fanfiction authors to be so enamored with failure, that the character doesn't go anywhere and growing doesn't mean anything

Cought Cough GOTF Cough COUGH

16 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

Though to be fair no one else really is being pushed forward. Sonic is the closest to that, but only Tails is actually going backwards compared to everyone else. Other characters are stagnant. Thrown into roles without meaning. No real thought or reason beyond being dolls to grab attention.

This is something that I feel like is gonna bite sega in the ass soon,

maxresdefault.jpg

3 times.

Speaking of Sonic Boom, in Fire & Ice, the game starts out with Sonic & Amy working together, alone, on a mission.

When's the last time this happened in the main game universe? Sonic Advance 3?

I didn't say 3 times as the last one was Sonic.

Fire & Ice had them working together but Amy made no advancements toward Sonic at all bummed me out but Sonic Advance 3 had them team up with Amy loving the fact that she was alone with him. ( TSR makes up for this though as my team is going to be 1 Sonic and 2 Amy's )

29 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

I didn't say 3 times as the last one was Sonic.

It's the same running gag of Amy running up to hug someone and then claiming that she made a mistake.

The 3rd time, she was mistaken about her mistake so she still made a mistake.

35 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Fire & Ice had them working together but Amy made no advancements toward Sonic at all

She doesn't have to.

Sonic is already right there with her instead of her having to chase his back.