Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

I'd think that the way things have been lately, the "which Archie Sonic story is your favorite?" might have simply been one he couldn't answer due to all the red tape.

As for the school thing, I haven't read Sonic fanfic (besides Other M) since the turn of the century, so I didn't know that idea was so... prominent.

I still think it could potentially work, not even necessarily as a comic, but maybe as a Boom-like cartoon.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

I want to write up a huge article about which Archie stories were my favorites and which were my least favorites but if I do I'll be compelled to hold it back because I want to get into video making.

I guess I could use it as a script.

• Nice Smile 1

11 hours ago, Spinneret said:

As I've said before I feel like characters such as the freedom fighters are needed to provide character development to the book since the Sega characters can't really change.

A pure Sega Sonic book would be boring.

I agree that OC's are a good thing, and should definitely be included to help flesh out the world. I just don't think they should be the Freedom Fighters from SatAM and Archie.

I grew up with SatAM, and I've read nearly every issue of the Archie comics. The Freedom Fighters will always have a special place in my heart. But, there's just no getting around the fact that they were created out of sheer narrative necessity, back in 1993, when Sonic, Tails, and Eggman were basically all  the writers had to work with.

Fast-forward to 2017, and now we've got: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Eggman, Metal Sonic, Honey, Fang, Bark, Bean, Shadow, Rouge, Silver, Mighty, Ray, The Chaotix, Cream, Blaze, Marine, Big, The Babylon Rogues, etc. There's just absolutely no justifiable reason to have the SatAM characters fill out the main cast. They would just unnecessarily clutter the roster, at this point.

I think it's important that the IDW books distinguish themselves as their own unique thing, and create a new foundation for themselves. I didn't *hate* the Post-Genesis Wave Arhice continuity, but honestly, all it made me do is continually lament the loss of the original timeline. Penders forever tainted those Archie books for me, after that lawsuit, and personally, I think it would be better for a completely fresh start.

18 minutes ago, Chaos Control Freak said:

I agree that OC's are a good thing, and should definitely be included to help flesh out the world. I just don't think they should be the Freedom Fighters from SatAM and Archie.

I grew up with SatAM, and I've read nearly every issue of the Archie comics. The Freedom Fighters will always have a special place in my heart. But, there's just no getting around the fact that they were created out of sheer narrative necessity, back in 1993, when Sonic, Tails, and Eggman were basically all  the writers had to work with.

Fast-forward to 2017, and now we've got: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Eggman, Metal Sonic, Honey, Fang, Bark, Bean, Shadow, Rouge, Silver, Mighty, Ray, The Chaotix, Cream, Blaze, Marine, Big, The Babylon Rogues, etc. There's just absolutely no justifiable reason to have the SatAM characters fill out the main cast. They would just unnecessarily clutter the roster, at this point.

I think it's important that the IDW books distinguish themselves as their own unique thing, and create a new foundation for themselves. I didn't *hate* the Post-Genesis Wave Arhice continuity, but honestly, all it made me do is continually lament the loss of the original timeline. Penders forever tainted those Archie books for me, after that lawsuit, and personally, I think it would be better for a completely fresh start.

You just pointed out how there's so many characters, so why make any more? Even with many OCs, the Archie comics still had a lot they could do with the game characters, that you wouldn't see in any other form of Sonic media.

Sonic X and Sonic Boom tried making up a bunch of characters, and most of them are pretty bland or forgettable. Despite having only 7 of the official game characters making constant appearances in the Sonic Boom, we've still seen them doing things you wouldn't see in the games or comics. It shows that Sega isn't too strict with how the characters are portrayed.

We don't need made up characters in an official Sonic comic. We got plenty of characters from the games to work with. It wouldn't hurt to make a few extras or background characters, but we don't need any new main characters.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

9 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

You just pointed out how there's so many characters, so why make any more? Even with many OCs, the Archie comics still had a lot they could do with the game characters, that you wouldn't see in any other form of Sonic media.

Sonic X and Sonic Boom tried making up a bunch of characters, and most of them are pretty bland or forgettable. Despite having only 7 of the official game characters making constant appearances in the Sonic Boom, we've still seen them doing things you wouldn't see in the games or comics. It shows that Sega isn't too strict with how the characters are portrayed.

We don't need made up characters in an official Sonic comic. We got plenty of characters from the games to work with. It wouldn't hurt to make a few extras or background characters, but we don't need any new main characters.

You say that, but this is an ongoing series we're talking about here. The cast can't just remain stagnant forever. These books are gonna be continually coming out indefinitely. Making up new characters that can fill roles that wouldn't quite make sense for any of the established SEGA characters is totally fine, in my opinion, as long as they don't overshadow them. It would also give the world a sense of scope. Other people inhabit Sonic's world, other than just the characters that have appeared in the video games. Heck, even Sonic Boom, which is just a gag show, with basically zero plot, has a ton of OC's inhabiting Sonic's village or whatever.

Overall, I think there needs to be a balance. OC's are a must, if the comics want to actually be intriguing and stand on their own, and they're more than capable of being done well (just take a look at the Egg Bosses, from the Post-Genesis Wave Archie comics, if you don't believe me). But, SEGA needs to allow IDW to take actual risks with the game characters, and allow them to grow and change in interesting ways.

We'll see what happens, but I have immense faith in IDW. They're really good at what they do.

• Thumbs Up 4

I personally hope it's an all game cast and that the story is much closer to the games. A full adaptation of the classic games, much like Mega Man got, would be ideal to me. No offense to the FF fans, I just think the Sonic main series cast is big enough and suitable as it is. Just let Ian do what he wants with the story, and let Tyson work his artistic genius, and that's more than enough for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

I personally hope it's an all game cast and that the story is much closer to the games. A full adaptation of the classic games, much like Mega Man got, would be ideal to me. No offense to the FF fans, I just think the Sonic main series cast is big enough and suitable as it is. Just let Ian do what he wants with the story, and let Tyson work his artistic genius, and that's more than enough for me.

I don't know why people would be interested in a series of adaptations. Archie did it with Genesis of a Hero, and in fact, game fans didn't care.

• Nice Smile 1

22 hours ago, BlueSky said:

Please, IF ONLY I had money I'd become a part of that Kickstarter! And even when I don't have any I'm still considering, all the time.

The thing is, I'm worried about my economical situation while I still would love to help him, I feel so torned... And a bit bad,  kind of fan I am, not being able to back someone up in a project like this.

This is one of the reasons why I'm so cautious towards the new comics and Forces; I wouldn't feel too good for buying something I end up not caring about after I get it in my hands for few seconds. I just can't afford buying stuff I cannot be certain enough about when I even can't back up someone I know could do a fantastic story. And considering the theme is kind of close to my heart, it's even more frustrating to me...

---

That's fair. I mean I can't contribute either because I'm crazy broke and unemployed. What I really meant by Apathy is just how people seem to really only care about Projects Ian's working on if it has Sonic in it. Meanwhile I've read Mega Man and New Crusaders (Which I seriously consider his best work and I can't wait for Mighty crusaders) entirely because I love Ian's writing. I have no connection to Mega Man or Red/Dark Circle outside of Ian's contributions but most people let his Non-Sonic stuff die because they just plain don't care about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Zippo said:

But, here's the thing, though.... Even the Archie Mega Man comics had OC's in them. And they did a lot for the story, overall, and provided unique and interesting perspectives.

I think the comics should stick close to the feel of the SEGA games, but I hope they do something other than adapt the games directly. The Archie comics have done that on several occasions already, to the best of their ability, and it always ended up feeling a little boring.

• Thumbs Up 5

17 hours ago, Chaos Control Freak said:

Again most of those characters that you just mentioned(other than Honey Fang, Bean, Bark, Mighty, and Ray since I doubt that Sega cares about those characters)can't have character development.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh. We're having the conversation about the characters and where the Freedom Fighters are going.

Listen. Characters like the Freedom Fighters don't live out 24 years in the comic just for them to get dumped without someone getting upset. It was a moment of triumph when Bean, Bark, and Fang came back in a new mainline Sonic game. 

You get rid of the Freedom Fighters and you're going to have angry people. 

Most non fans still even refer to the planet as Mobius and know about the Freedom Fighters because they were the things that lasted the longest in this franchise. They are now inseparable from Sonic. 

Please don't advocate getting rid of them. They should be canon foreigners made immigrants to the mainline canon. Period

... and then make the IDW comics an extension of the mainline canon. Everything else you can take or leave. But general concepts that are in the public eye need to be kept. 

It's consistent. 

And we've been asking for a consistent brand identity for how long from this franchise? Years? 

Adapt to what works. The Freedom Fighters and the general alien psuedo Earth concept of Mobius works. Have your own take on it. But do not throw it away. Ever

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1

No, you don't get rid of them without fans getting angry.

That has literally never stopped SEGA before now. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 2

I think IDW can make their own mark and potentially reintroduce characters like the FF later. I mean, their Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comic did their own thing and reintroduced familiar faces like Bebop and Rocksteady and the Neutrinos later on.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

Nah, you're right. Pesky facts about how Sega operates strikes again. 

Listen.

I'm just trying to be optimistic. I'd like to think that Sega has learned some lessons in the last seven years of getting involved with us. 

• Nice Smile 1

3 hours ago, Spinneret said:

Again most of those characters that you just mentioned(other than Honey Fang, Bean, Bark, Mighty, and Ray since I doubt that Sega cares about those characters)can't have character development.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you. Fleshing out the main SEGA cast in interesting ways, while falling in line with SEGA's provisions is totally doable. You just have to be creative. Sonic training, to teach himself the Light Speed Dash, Knuckles going on a treasure hunt across the world to learn what happened to his ancestry, Tails having to reconcile his love for technology and machinery, despite the fact that it's the very thing that Eggman uses to hurt people. Metal Sonic's obsession with the idea that he's just a "fake version" of the real thing, and his obsession to grow stronger than him.

There's tons of stuff you can do with them, without killing them or giving them weird, non-canon family members (two of SEGA's biggest mandates, from what I've heard). I always think One Piece is a great example of how a good Sonic comic could work, if there were only SEGA characters in the main cast. It's a lot more about the characters' affect on the people and world around them, their friendship, and the crazy adventures they go on.

2 hours ago, LongcrierCat said:

Eh. The fanbase is gonna be angry, no matter what happens. I've just learned to accept that. Haha

2 hours ago, LongcrierCat said:

Adapt to what works. The Freedom Fighters and the general alien psuedo Earth concept of Mobius works. Have your own take on it. But do not throw it away. Ever

I'm cool with the planet being called "Mobius", but honestly, I've always hated the concept of Sonic's world being an alternate Earth, in the far future, that's co-inhabited by humans.

I personally think Humans should be sparse/next-to-non-existent in Sonic's world. Doing so really makes Eggman a unique anomaly, and I think really strengthens the whole "Nature vs. Technology" vibes from the franchise's roots.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Chaos Control Freak said:

But, here's the thing, though.... Even the Archie Mega Man comics had OC's in them. And they did a lot for the story, overall, and provided unique and interesting perspectives.

The necessity of OCs depend on the writer and how creative they can get. Also what the readers like.

There was a Megaman manga that doesn’t have OCs except cameo from other mangas and fan-submitted ones he used in background. I heard he considered adding a major OC (Bass’s sister?) but he decided not to because he wanted to use the game characters more. It was fun to read. His manga was aimed at people who already knew Megaman. Some stories followed the game format, then some stories were only presented as flashbacks, some skipped, others adapted but altered enough to make it seem like a different story. Of course the manga had it’s flaws, there are parts I disagree, and the style wasn’t for everyone. 

I was not fond of the OCs in Archie. The Emerald Spears had potential world-building, but ruined by being a terrorist cult and ran by a crazy leader who became an overpowered super villain subduing the main villain of the game. Tempo was interesting, but was a side character who never interacted outside her character development arcs or Protoman. Lalinde I despise because of her impression as both scientist & "mother". The two police duo was ...not so memorable.

I admit I am very biased. The manga matched my taste better than Archie. But you get what I mean.

I think the comics should stick close to the feel of the SEGA games, but I hope they do something other than adapt the games directly. The Archie comics have done that on several occasions already, to the best of their ability, and it always ended up feeling a little boring.

I agree. They never figured out the best balance between game and creativity. Or what part of the game the writer think is important and what the reader thinks is important. Closest to success was Champions. Let's hope IDW can figure it out.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

The necessity of OCs depend on the writer and how creative they can get. Also what the readers like.

There was a Megaman manga that doesn’t have OCs except cameo from other mangas and fan-submitted ones he used in background. I heard he considered adding a major OC (Bass’s sister?) but he decided not to because he wanted to use the game characters more. It was fun to read. His manga was aimed at people who already knew Megaman. Some stories followed the game format, then some stories were only presented as flashbacks, some skipped, others adapted but altered enough to make it seem like a different story. Of course the manga had it’s flaws, there are parts I disagree, and the style wasn’t for everyone. 

I was not fond of the OCs in Archie. The Emerald Spears had potential world-building, but ruined by being a terrorist cult and ran by a crazy leader who became an overpowered super villain subduing the main villain of the game. Tempo was interesting, but was a side character who never interacted outside her character development arcs or Protoman. Lalinde I despise because of her impression as both scientist & "mother". The two police duo was ...not so memorable.

I admit I am very biased. The manga matched my taste better than Archie. But you get what I mean.

That's fair enough. Your opinion is your own.

Though, I will say that Megaman Megamix was very short, and if it had been allowed to continue, I'd be willing to bet actual money that Ariga would've began implementing significant OC's into the story.

4 hours ago, Chaos Control Freak said:

I personally think Humans should be sparse/next-to-non-existent in Sonic's world. Doing so really makes Eggman a unique anomaly, and I think really strengthens the whole "Nature vs. Technology" vibes from the franchise's roots.

Which is a complete far cry from what it really is.

For starters, this "Nature vs Technology" vibe is invalidated by the sheer fact that those on the "Nature" side use technology--Tails was a pilot all the way back in Sonic 2, and he's been a mechanic and inventor since SA1, nevermind that even classic titles like CD had nature and technology working together in harmony to complement each other in their respective Good Future zones. Maybe the malevolent or misuse of technology, sure, as that has been consistent in every game. But hardly a black and white angle as what you claim--one might make that case solely for Sonic 1, but it stops being the case the moment the series progressed.

Second, Eggman's uniqueness -- much less any character, for that matter -- has nothing to do with him being the only human in the setting, nor will having additional humans dilute that. That double standard not only spits in the face of characterization, it bastardizes the value of it and is shallow to the point of ridiculous, as by that very logic, Sonic stopped being a unique character when two hedgehogs in the form of Amy Rose and Metal Sonic were introduced, or when regardless of their own unique abilities that differ between them.

Short story, that's not how these things work. Eggman is unique for his character, not his species. Very few humans can even do a tenth of the things he's been capable of, with the only ones matching him being Eggman Nega and Gerald Robotnik, and even then he's done things they haven't.

• Thumbs Up 6

1 hour ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Which is a complete far cry from what it really is.

For starters, this "Nature vs Technology" vibe is invalidated by the sheer fact that those on the "Nature" side use technology--Tails was a pilot all the way back in Sonic 2, and he's been a mechanic and inventor since SA1, nevermind that even classic titles like CD had nature and technology working together in harmony to complement each other in their respective Good Future zones. Maybe the malevolent or misuse of technology, sure, as that has been consistent in every game. But hardly a black and white angle as what you claim--one might make that case solely for Sonic 1, but it stops being the case the moment the series progressed.

The entire basis of the Sonic franchise is animals fighting robots. The concept of "Nature vs. Technology" is the fundamental foundation that everything has been built upon. Natural Animals = good, Man-made Robots = bad. The fact that Sonic and his friends use technology to their benefit doesn't affect that original core theme. Hell, SatAM pushes that original theme more than anything else, I'd argue, and even Sally uses Nicole in it, and Rotor's a mechanic.

Sonic Adventure, by introducing normal human-inhabited cities and culture into the world, was what really derailed that core motif, in my opinion, for better or worse.

Second, Eggman's uniqueness -- much less any character, for that matter -- has nothing to do with him being the only human in the setting, nor will having additional humans dilute that.

I disagree. Not only does Eggman's humanity put him in stark contrast with almost all of the main Sonic cast, but I'd argue that if they really played up the idea that he's a technology-abusing human who's invading Sonic's natural world, they could really do a lot of cool stuff with that.

That double standard not only spits in the face of characterization, it bastardizes the value of it and is shallow to the point of ridiculous, as by that very logic, Sonic stopped being a unique character when two hedgehogs in the form of Amy Rose and Metal Sonic were introduced, or when regardless of their own unique abilities that differ between them.

I think you're being a bit overly-dramatic and missing my actual point, but okay......

8 hours ago, Chaos Control Freak said:

The entire basis of the Sonic franchise is animals fighting robots. The concept of "Nature vs. Technology" is the fundamental foundation that everything has been built upon. Natural Animals = good, Man-made Robots = bad. The fact that Sonic and his friends use technology to their benefit doesn't affect that original core theme. Hell, SatAM pushes that original theme more than anything else, I'd argue, and even Sally uses Nicole in it, and Rotor's a mechanic.

No, it isn't. The entire basis is on the heroes defeating the bad guys from conquering/destroying the world for their own gain, as several members of those animals have also been villains who worked alongside robots for various reasons, like Knuckles before he switched sides in Sonic 3&K. And the fact that Sonic and his friends use technology to their benefit by definition affects that theme by the sheer fact that they're using it in the first place, else that puts the whole theme under scrutiny if not contradict it.

Nevermind that SatAM pushes more the theme that pollution and tyranny is bad than technology as a whole, and for those same reason--they don't have anything against technology, they have a problem with its misuse and abuse. The "Technology is bad" theme becomes hypocritical when one of the main characters uses a handheld supercomputer to help save the day.

Sonic Adventure, by introducing normal human-inhabited cities and culture into the world, was what really derailed that core motif, in my opinion, for better or worse.

Hardly, given than it's entire story deals with an ancient, mystical monster unleashed onto the world enranged by an a civilization of warmongering animals. Humans actually have very little to do with that game beyond being background for the world.

I disagree. Not only does Eggman's humanity put him in stark contrast with almost all of the main Sonic cast, but I'd argue that if they really played up the idea that he's a technology-abusing human who's invading Sonic's natural world, they could really do a lot of cool stuff with that.

They already have, several times. Except it has nothing to do with him being human and more to do with him being a egomanical madman.

I think you're being a bit overly-dramatic and missing my actual point, but okay......

I think you're treating this too personal a discussion point.

• Thumbs Up 3

10 hours ago, Chaos Control Freak said:

Wouldn't that also create the misconception that all humans in Sonic's world are evil?

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Sonictrainer said:

Wouldn't that also create the misconception that all humans in Sonic's world are evil?

I'm speaking only in terms of this new IDW comic, guys (that's the discussion topic, remember?). And, as I've said before, I think these comics should be their own thing, rather than being doggedly loyal to the games.

Which, by the way, the continuity of the games is a complete mess, and is beyond repair. To the point where SEGA is now saying that Classic Sonic isn't even from the same dimension as Modern Sonic.

• Nice Smile 1

4 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

No, it isn't. The entire basis is on the heroes defeating the bad guys from conquering/destroying the world for their own gain, as several members of those animals have also been villains who worked alongside robots for various reasons, like Knuckles before he switched sides in Sonic 3&K. And the fact that Sonic and his friends use technology to their benefit by definition affects that theme by the sheer fact that they're using it in the first place, else that puts the whole theme under scrutiny if not contradict it.

Just because something has an ideology as its basis, doesn't mean it's not allowed to play around with it. I think you're looking at it too rigidly and literally.

Sonic breaks open evil robots to free the animals and flowers inside (still to this very day). Sonic's most enduring rival has been his robotic doppelganger. You argued earlier that CD had Nature and Technology working together in harmony, in its Good Futures. But, that's exactly my point. Those two things were juxtaposed against one another for the whole game. They were compared and contrasted. Finding the balance between them was what needed to happen.

Nevermind that SatAM pushes more the theme that pollution and tyranny is bad than technology as a whole, and for those same reason--they don't have anything against technology, they have a problem with its misuse and abuse. The "Technology is bad" theme becomes hypocritical when one of the main characters uses a handheld supercomputer to help save the day.

SatAM is objectively built off of the idea of Nature vs. Technology. There's no room for interpretation on that one. The creators have gone on record as saying that that idea was their basis (because that's what SEGA gave them to work with, at the time).

I think you're treating this too personal a discussion point.

K

20 hours ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

I think IDW can make their own mark and potentially reintroduce characters like the FF later. I mean, their Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comic did their own thing and reintroduced familiar faces like Bebop and Rocksteady and the Neutrinos later on.

That I can do as long as I know they're coming. Anticipating for nothing is one of the worst things I know...

On ‎8‎.‎9‎.‎2017 at 4:39 PM, SBR2 said:

That's fair. I mean I can't contribute either because I'm crazy broke and unemployed. What I really meant by Apathy is just how people seem to really only care about Projects Ian's working on if it has Sonic in it. Meanwhile I've read Mega Man and New Crusaders (Which I seriously consider his best work and I can't wait for Mighty crusaders) entirely because I love Ian's writing. I have no connection to Mega Man or Red/Dark Circle outside of Ian's contributions but most people let his Non-Sonic stuff die because they just plain don't care about it.

Yeah, I think I guessed it right from the start. It has just been piling up in me, that feeling about how I should do something about something while I'm in not a very good position in myself. Sad to hear that too, I hope you'll get it better soon.

20 hours ago, LongcrierCat said:

Oh. We're having the conversation about the characters and where the Freedom Fighters are going.

Listen. Characters like the Freedom Fighters don't live out 24 years in the comic just for them to get dumped without someone getting upset. It was a moment of triumph when Bean, Bark, and Fang came back in a new mainline Sonic game. 

Most non fans still even refer to the planet as Mobius and know about the Freedom Fighters because they were the things that lasted the longest in this franchise. They are now inseparable from Sonic. 

Please don't advocate getting rid of them. They should be canon foreigners made immigrants to the mainline canon. Period

... and then make the IDW comics an extension of the mainline canon. Everything else you can take or leave. But general concepts that are in the public eye need to be kept. 

It's consistent. 

And we've been asking for a consistent brand identity for how long from this franchise? Years? 

Trust me, I'll be very agitated if that happens. Truth to be told, I'm not even really over with the Archie versions "departure". And still I fear what'd happen if they get into the games, I fear how they'd turn out. Though I suppose they can be in canon as "silent partners" or something...

___

Is this "debate of the day" about apples and oranges or why I feel like someone has a whole bunch of grapes that they consider as a whole but pulls out for others to see one at a time? :huh: Sorry, I just can't get to the exact point, prolly the language barrier's acting up again.

And while I'm on it, I myself think that the most definitive theme for Sonic would be freedom and protecting it from forces that want to enslave others. Besides everything being about fast-running hedgie of course, hoo boy I went meta again...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

24 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

And while I'm on it, I myself think that the most definitive theme for Sonic would be freedom and protecting it from forces that want to enslave others. Besides everything being about fast-running hedgie of course, hoo boy I went meta again...

That theme definitely remained constant, throughout the Archie books. I'd say the games definitely strayed from it, though. 

Really happy that Forces looks to be returning to that vibe! :smiley:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1