Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

I'm actually really curious about the Rouge story. It'd be kinda nice to see her on her own in something for the first time since, uh, *thinks about the entire franchise*...her earlier appearances in Archie? 

(Shadow and/or Omega might still appear of course but I feel like they'd be mentioned if they were going to be featured heavily.)

• Thumbs Up 6

19 minutes ago, Celestia said:

I'm actually really curious about the Rouge story. It'd be kinda nice to see her on her own in something for the first time since, uh, *thinks about the entire franchise*...her earlier appearances in Archie? 

(Shadow and/or Omega might still appear of course but I feel like they'd be mentioned if they were going to be featured heavily.)

Same here. 

Can't help but wonder what she's gonna be doing.

25 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Even then her early Archie appearances were shared with Bunnie or Scourge or about her underhanded plan to steal Knuckles from Julie-Su.

So yeah I'm looking forward to seeing that one in particular if only because it's the first full Rouge solo story ever. But also because a while back I tweeted that'd I'd like to see a Rouge Heist story and David Mariotte liked it and said "Interesting idea" so I think I might have been onto something. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It took over 20 years, but Uekawa-san finally draws a cover for a Sonic comic. And no, slapping generic Sonic art on a cover doesn't count. I bet Ian's on cloud nine seeing the official Sonic character designer drawing his characters.

And hey, Diana Skelley is finally on IDW Sonic! I was getting worried we weren't going to see her on the new book.

• Thumbs Up 5

11 hours ago, kimplix said:

"The annual — which weighs in at 48 pages — features a sprawling crew of creators, including four newcomers to the property. James Kochalka (Johnny Boo), Cavan Scott (Star Wars Adventures), Jack Lawrence (Transformers: Lost Light), and Gigi Dutrieux will have their first Sonic work featured in the annual. Ian Flynn, Evan Stanley, Caleb Goellner, Jonathan Gray, Jennifer Hernandez, and Diana Skelly will return from other Sonic issues to contribute to the massive book.

Oh YES!

Can't wait to see some glorious expressions once again!!!

That cover is really good too. Partially reminds me of Sonic Battle.

14 hours ago, King Khristmas CC14 said:

We have a story about Rouge!

ROUGE STORY? THAT'S EVEN LEGAL???

I'm so happy she's getting some love, her first own story since... Sonic X, I guess.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Question is the rouge story like , its own comic is it in ithat mega comic thing?

It's in the annual.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Even then her early Archie appearances were shared with Bunnie or Scourge or about her underhanded plan to steal Knuckles from Julie-Su.

So yeah I'm looking forward to seeing that one in particular if only because it's the first full Rouge solo story ever. But also because a while back I tweeted that'd I'd like to see a Rouge Heist story and David Mariotte liked it and said "Interesting idea" so I think I might have been onto something. 

I hated how Archie they portrayed Rouge  , when  they made her obsessed about Knuckles and tried steal him from Juli-su .  Couldn't they just ignored Knuckles and Rouge relationship . I can understand them disliking Knuckles paired with  Rouge , and wanted him with Juli-su , hell even me dislike Knuxouge , but I refuse to portray Rouge like .

3 hours ago, Celestia said:

It's in the annual.

Oh, I guess that's a bit disappointing. I was hoping she would get an issue, but hey comics do this all the time. Test characters and concepts in annual books , hopefully the story is just her by herself and she can get more stories by herself. I think rouge is cool because while she's still airs on the side of good kinda she's a bit more morally gray than a lot of characters and I think tat's cool.  And team dark... in general can get more stories by themselves because I think they can carry themselves fine. And I felt like them being attached at the hip kinda was a waste. We can cool spy rouge stories, and Shadow being upset at life by himself. And whatever omega does.... Ok We aren't geting omega stories. But we could get the first two

48 minutes ago, Gumbit said:

I hated how Archie they portrayed Rouge  , when  they made her obsessed about Knuckles and tried steal him from Juli-su .  Couldn't they just ignored Knuckles and Rouge relationship . I can understand them disliking Knuckles paired with  Rouge , and wanted him with Juli-su , hell even me dislike Knuxouge , but I refuse to portray Rouge like .

TBF when the restructuring happened, that stopped, and when the reboot happened, that certainly stopped. That said Early archie had issues with .... pretty much every character post Classic era being used because instead of trying to fit them into how they needed to be as characters they always tried to warp them to their ( IMO ) super bad universe that I frankly didn't care for. And to be honest after a point they started doing it with classic characters too.

Thinking about things like that makes me glad they fucking nuked everything

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

Oh, I guess that's a bit disappointing. I was hoping she would get an issue, but hey comics do this all the time. Test characters and concepts in annual books , hopefully the story is just her by herself and she can get more stories by herself. I think rouge is cool because while she's still airs on the side of good kinda she's a bit more morally gray than a lot of characters and I think tat's cool.  And team dark... in general can get more stories by themselves because I think they can carry themselves fine. And I felt like them being attached at the hip kinda was a waste. We can cool spy rouge stories, and Shadow being upset at life by himself. And whatever omega does.... Ok We aren't geting omega stories. But we could get the first two

I'm kinda hoping that if the stories in the Annual are popular enough the writers and artists might get a chance to deliver some Miniseries in the future.

3 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I'm kinda hoping that if the stories in the Annual are popular enough the writers and artists might get a chance to deliver some Miniseries in the future.

I hope so too

Color me curious about that Silver and Blaze storyline, they hardly ever interacted in comics so...

Also the Rouge story finally! I've been waiting for some screentime for her!

• Thumbs Up 4

16 minutes ago, Jack in the Snow said:

Also the Rouge story finally! I've been waiting for some screentime for her!

Same. Hopefully we can get some new info about her.

March Solicitations go into Issue 15:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/12/21/transformers-glow-goosebumps-and-tangles-launch-in-idw-comics-march-2019-solicitations/

Spoiler

Sonic the Hedgehog #15—Cover A: Jack Lawrence
Ian Flynn (w) • Jack Lawrence (a)
“Patient Zero.” Having finally come face-to-face with Dr. Starline, Sonic needs to learn more about this new threat. He and Amy investigate an old Eggman lair but find it less abandoned than they thought when Rough & Tumble return for revenge!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Sonic the Hedgehog #15—Cover B: Diana Skelly
Ian Flynn (w) • Jack Lawrence (a) • Diana Skelly (c)
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

*Retailer incentives:
Order 10 copies and get one free variant cover by Nathalie Fourdraine!

Bullet points:
A major turning point in Season 2! Who will be infected?!

Notable non-story things: Jack Lawrence of Transformers: Lost Light joins the main comic on art duties, and Diana Skelly returns to Sonic on the main comic too with a variant cover. 

• Thumbs Up 2

The solicits also go slightly more in depth on the Annual stories:

In Sonic’s world, adventure awaits around every corner, but even the world’s fastest hedgehog can’t be at the center of all of it! Join Sonic and some of his coolest friends in adventures that show just how wonderful Sonic’s world really is.

In the lead story, the odd couple of Tangle the Lemur and Whisper the Wolf team-up to save a friend in need! Then Sonic and Tails take the Tornado for a spin, but is Sonic going too fast? Plus, Silver and Blaze slow down for a minute to go gardening, the Sonic Fan Club has their first official meeting, and Rouge the Bat hunts for treasure!

• Thumbs Up 8

Those sound really cute and are the types of small-scale stories I've wanted to see more of with Sonic comics.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1

Yeah, seeing Yuji getting in on this comic action at last may be making a lot of fans nerd out, but it's about freaking time they had Skelly on the roster. 

To be honest this new annual could be a really good remedy for those like me who thought IDW's previous material's been lacking in weight and intrigue.  Seeing new writing talent being "tested" in a sense is just what's needed.  Can't wait to see what styles they'll bring to the table.

These stories remind me of Archie's first couple of issues, or even the Boom comic, they sound nice and cute. Also, very excited for "season 2".

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, Tracker_TD said:

March Solicitations go into Issue 15:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/12/21/transformers-glow-goosebumps-and-tangles-launch-in-idw-comics-march-2019-solicitations/

Hide contents

Sonic the Hedgehog #15—Cover A: Jack Lawrence
Ian Flynn (w) • Jack Lawrence (a)
“Patient Zero.” Having finally come face-to-face with Dr. Starline, Sonic needs to learn more about this new threat. He and Amy investigate an old Eggman lair but find it less abandoned than they thought when Rough & Tumble return for revenge!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Sonic the Hedgehog #15—Cover B: Diana Skelly
Ian Flynn (w) • Jack Lawrence (a) • Diana Skelly (c)
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

*Retailer incentives:
Order 10 copies and get one free variant cover by Nathalie Fourdraine!

Bullet points:
A major turning point in Season 2! Who will be infected?!

Notable non-story things: Jack Lawrence of Transformers: Lost Light joins the main comic on art duties, and Diana Skelly returns to Sonic on the main comic too with a variant cover. 

Amy? Hmph.

That's one heckuva shift.

1 hour ago, Panda in a Pear Tree said:

The solicits also go slightly more in depth on the Annual stories:

Eh on most of those stories.

Otherwise, gardening?

Silver and Blaze.. gardening? Together? Not the first thing that comes to mind for a story about the two of them, but okay. Maybe there's some kind of character building with Silver talking about how beautiful the world and why he wants to preserve it. Or save it. Whatever his current time is like.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's what ol' Kenders has to say about it:

Hey, Ken. News flash: this is a 48-page comic that only comes out once a year. Of course it's gonna cost a bit more than a usual comic.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 6
  • Absolutely 1

Also since he goes onto insult the cover as "Lazy". Even putting aside who drew the cover and why it's a big freaking deal those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones mr. "Just use a real photo instead of drawing a background".

• Thumbs Up 7

He's honestly not wrong about the pricing. Floppies are pretty overpriced in general. Spending 8 bucks on something that'll take like 15 minutes to read in its entirety is kind of ridiculous. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Comics are overpriced in general these days. I don't even buy that many on a monthly basis, but I know I've spent $20-30 on average when I empty my subscription box (and IDW randomly releasing a double-sized TMNT book or something tends to be where I see a charge hike). It's actually been a pretty huge motivating factor in me closing it and not buying monthly comics anymore at the start of next year. Personally, I'll probably wait for this to drop in price on comiXology or for a trade to include it.