Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

4 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

I found on IDw Sonic wikia issue 15's cover by new artist, Jack Lawrence. He's pretty good!

latest?cb=20181221204342

Dayum! I was worrying his Transformers level awesomeness wouldn't translate over to Sonic. Some artists have a rough time getting accustomed to the Sonic Style but Jack just hit it out the park with just the cover. That's impressive. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/27/2018 at 1:31 PM, Marco9966 said:

I found on IDw Sonic wikia issue 15's cover by new artist, Jack Lawrence. He's pretty good!

latest?cb=20181221204342

Really good looking cover.

• Thumbs Up 1

So I am guessing team dark and other major modern characters are not even close to the main 4 in being plot relevant. This is the Sega Friends get put on a bus formula again. I'm quite disappointed that sonic as the main character has only tails, knuckles, amy, and eggman as main supporting characters in his story I wish Sega would stop shaftng shadow and silver when Sonic has to push them back from their deep lore in or to market to new sonic fans. 

Shadow especially, is a character who's appeared outside of the modern stories as of Sonic boom and the new racing game, so o want him and rouge and omega to be part of the sonic fundamental main cast already, shadow is more popular and rouge carries the iconic fanservice role more than amy. Everyone else can be sonic plot arc guest characters.

But Another Sonic and triple threat story or sonamy plot? please! shadow himself can carry a plot without sonic, with Sonic, it is basically Goku and Vegeta with fur.

• Absolutely 1

12 hours ago, Alexios31 said:

Happy new year everyone! 

Here's to a GREAT 2019!

Happy new year, Alexios! :smile: 

18 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

Some fanart from IDW Artist Jennifer Hernandez

DvyuEsGWwAE3raQ.jpgDvyuEsJWoAA2ds-.jpgDvyuG9lWkAAjkuS.jpgDvyuJouW0AAluq8.jpg

Gasp--Sonic wearing Pants?! * SEGA's sirens go off *

Great to see some of the Archie cast again.

With that said, oh boy, who is that new character?

• Way Past Cool 1

12 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

With that said, oh boy, who is that new character?

New character? I assume you mean the one with Blaze? That’s one of Ms. Hernandez’ OCs, I believe.

Yep, it's the bunch of characters I don't like that Hernandez cameo'd in issue 3. She's part of the ensemble in the last picture. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Yep, it's the bunch of characters I don't like that Hernandez cameo'd in issue 3. She's part of the ensemble in the last picture. 

Not fond of OC cameo?

17 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Nothing against OC cameos as a concept, I just don't like those OCs in particular. 

Oh, ok. They were like in a bad fanfiction or something?

Not trying to suggest you are wrong just want context? Is this one of the scenario's where OC creator isn't the best person?

• Thumbs Up 1

Guys, don't you feel not much has happened in these 240 pages? I feel more stuff happens happens in a 60 page french graphic novel.

Issue 1-8 were fine, but issue 9-11 doesn't have as much content

That's because this comic is full of pages with only 4 panel (french graphic novels have like 10 panels per page). Is this the case for all american comics?

There's too many wordless action scenes that could be compressed in smaller panels to make space for more panels. There's also too many double page spreads with one speech bubble, sometimes no speech bubbles at all.

Here's a side by side of a page from Sonic and a page from some french comics (The Campbells, Asterix, Zorglub), they have more panels, more action and more dialogue:

Sonic-The-Hedgehog-2018-011-014.jpg053.jpg034.jpg044.jpg

This is a good Sonic page: more panels, more dialogue, also I feel the post-reboot Sonic comics also have this quality:

Sonic-The-Hedgehog-2018-002-016.jpg

French comics, AKA bandes-dessinées, are different than American comics. Each have their own codes, their way of telling a story. Also, most US comics are meant to be sold monthly for a set amount of pages, whereas French comics are usually 48 pages long and are released on a less frequent schedule, some of them only comes out once a year. US comics are usually meant to be read in a short time, when French comics are meant to take more time to be red.

It also depends on the style of story that's being told. You have different formats, too, like comic strips (Garfield, Peanuts...) but it would be too long to explain here and it would derail the topic. Also, check out mangas, that are quite different too, but also use big panels (for most of them).

Just curious, but do you read US comics outside of Sonic ?

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Guys, don't you feel not much has happened in these 240 pages? I feel more stuff happens happens in a 60 page french graphic novel.

That's because this comic is full of pages with only 4 panel (french graphic novels have like 10 panels per page). Is this the case for all american comics?

There's too many wordless action scenes that could be compressed in smaller panels to make space for more panels. There's also too many double page spreads with one speech bubble, sometimes no speech bubbles at all.

Here's a side by side of a page from Sonic and a page from some french comics (The Campbells, Asterix, Zorglub), they have more panels, more action and more dialogue:

Sonic-The-Hedgehog-2018-011-014.jpg053.jpg

This is a good Sonic page: more panels, more dialogue, also I feel the post-reboot Sonic comics also have this quality:

Good observation there, marco. There is indeed a habit of starting and/or ending a comic with a dynamic splashpage, as well as more space being devoted to action scenes over having the story content play out.

And another reason why Issue 2 is probably still the best.

With that said, I think Sonic comics tend to be comparatively smaller than other comic as well, which may compound things.

1 hour ago, Adamis said:

French comics, AKA bandes-dessinées, are different than American comics. Each have their own codes, their way of telling a story. Also, most US comics are meant to be sold monthly for a set amount of pages, whereas French comics are usually 48 pages long and are released on a less frequent schedule, some of them only comes out once a year. US comics are usually meant to be read in a short time, when French comics are meant to take more time to be red.

It also depends on the style of story that's being told. You have different formats, too, like comic strips (Garfield, Peanuts...) but it would be too long to explain here and it would derail the topic. Also, check out mangas, that are quite different too, but also use big panels (for most of them).

I read the walking dead, and that one too had much content.

Related but tangentially, I'd love if a hypothetical Chaotix story was done Asterix style. Not in terms of character dynamics, but in terms of tone and narrative style. Silly and casual with action and plenty of wit is a good fit. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I would say that it's not just a question of "US vs FR", but also a question of different objectives of comic book. Here, the art, the dynamism is important too. Honestly, even if I love french comics (I basically grew up with them), I wouldn't say that their style is a great fit for what Sonic is. It's often pretty wordy, and lack the creativity in the layout that the Sonic Comic and a lot of other comic-book have. Yep, the Sonic comics have less content, but except in some case, they are often way more fun too look at. I mean, they are page with even fewer panels/word in some Sonic, but that are pretty memorable and fun (I would even said that many of the best pages of the comic book only have a few panels).

It's not a question of page number, and "number of stuff that happens". I feel that this impression is more related that they were more about reintroducing the global ambiance and the character, than telling a big story. I also feel that some page with only action are more related to that than the way the layout is done.

• Thumbs Up 5

4 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Sonic-The-Hedgehog-2018-011-014.jpg053.jpg034.jpg044.jpg

It really depends on the comics, cuz aside from each country havign different rules, each work may have different styles in writing/art. There's also what kind of story/genre they want to tell, and who the audience is.

Some use fewer panels, less words, use "show dont tell" and manage to get their point across without making the readers unsatisfied. Some use way too many panels, craming paragraphs of words in each one, and somehow prevent the reader from being overwhelmed. And others just fail to balance them out.

I think Sonic is eeeeeh okay for now. I agree it feels like they stretched the story a bit for issue 9-11, but the artwork is great.

7 hours ago, Adamis said:

This is a question I'm always asking myself. Like not to be rude or anything but it really seems like a lot of Sonic comic readers only read Sonic comics because standard stuff like Annuals and blank variants seems foreign to most Sonic fans.

• Thumbs Up 1

So, here's a thread talking about the hypothetical possibility of Cosmo being introduced in IDW. I was gonna spoiler that for intellectual safety reasons, but I think it'll be better if I simply link it.

6 hours ago, DabigRG said:

So, here's a thread talking about the hypothetical possibility of Cosmo being introduced in IDW. I was gonna spoiler that for intellectual safety reasons, but I think it'll be better if I simply link it.

I'm pretty sure they buried Sonic X almost as hard as Triple H with a golden shovel on other talent. If they for some reason out of the blue wanted that waste of space back, I'll go vegetarian for a week!

3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

I thought this was referring to the Archie comic from earlier this year at first and was greatly confused...

Though if the Freedom Fighters and AoStH characters are (potentially) off-limits I don’t see Cosmos being much different, even if Sonic Team were more directly involved in her creation, in the same way that Sticks likely won’t be appearing in much else,other than Boom.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

I'm sure Cosmo is in the same category as the FF, aka "either keep most of what creates the character, or don't bother including them".

Spoiler

Idk if it's worth introducing her as part of the cast if they can't include the whole "We're alien that came from a dying planet, all the men turned evil and is after the whole universe, all the women are dead" backstory which is already a lot of focus and storytelling. Also all the other aliens, planet eggs, etc...

Issue 12 is delayed one week, released on 16th instead of 9th.

But this time it's not IDW's fault, but the distributor's.