Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

11 hours ago, Maxtiis said:

I didn't even know those characters were supposed to be wearing sandals for years. Does that mean Knuckles is too?

Same here. I've wondered about Knuckles as well because of it.

5 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Same here. I've wondered about Knuckles as well because of it.

This render from the Sonic Channel shows Knuckles's shoes with wear similar to Sonic's, which looked like chipped metal, so I'm going to assume that he's not wearing sandals.

image.thumb.png.d39f02c425f5eadccd95de6947c0347d.png

And just for the sake of moving on from this discussion and staying on topic, can anyone actually recommend IDW's take on Sonic? After being unable to find any issues physically in my area I decided not to bother, but I'm still curious as to its quality.

Since we're waiting this long for issue 12, at least show us the preview now, they owe this to us at the very least.

There is no hype for issue 12 unless they show the previews early.

21 minutes ago, Maxtiis said:

This render from the Sonic Channel shows Knuckles's shoes with wear similar to Sonic's, which looked like chipped metal, so I'm going to assume that he's not wearing sandals.

image.thumb.png.d39f02c425f5eadccd95de6947c0347d.png

Yeah, I realize that, but I was thinking more in the sense of whether they were originally intended to be sandals at one point. After all, it does occasionally bother me how they seemingly get Knuckles red shoes when he himself is already red.

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Yeah, I realize that, but I was thinking more in the sense of whether they were originally intended to be sandals at one point. After all, it does occasionally bother me how they seemingly get Knuckles red shoes when he himself is already red.

Maybe it was like with Tails's shoes and the red was just to make them more akin to Sonic's. I've never come across any design documents that mention anything other than him having a Jamaican color scheme, probably to represent his origin from an exotic island, so your guess is as good as mine.

6 minutes ago, Maxtiis said:

Maybe it was like with Tails's shoes and the red was just to make them more akin to Sonic's.

I guess.

6 minutes ago, Maxtiis said:

I've never come across any design documents that mention anything other than him having a Jamaican color scheme, probably to represent his origin from an exotic island, so your guess is as good as mine.

I know he was also apparently gonna be green at one point, which makes the green sock things suspectible, and I think the hat he wears in the OVA was also an early idea.

Oh and that he was allegedly gonna have a Jamaican accent, but the juries out on that one..

I personally think, if the characters have fingers, then they should also have toes. Kirby for example has nor fingers, technically he doesn't even have hands, there for on his feet his doesn't have any toes, so that it fit with the rest of his design. Some Kirby characters like Bonkers for example have fingers and also toes. 

I personally think that giving the Sonic characters toes wouldn't really hurt their design. Human characters like Eggman for example kinda need to have toes. I wouldn't make a big fuzz about it, if all the characters would wear shoes all the time, but some of them do not like Tikal and Big. And that looks so weird to me. 

6 minutes ago, Rowl said:

I wouldn't make a big fuzz about it, if all the characters would wear shoes all the time, but some of them do not like Tikal and Big. And that looks so weird to me. 

I kinda think the lack of toes there is partially due to wanting to maintain some cohesive look amongst most of the characters.

Y'all making a big deal out of this. No need for 2 pages about this.

Just keep the same blob and add 3 lines for your headcanon:

dog-1-265x300.png

51 minutes ago, Maxtiis said:

And just for the sake of moving on from this discussion and staying on topic, can anyone actually recommend IDW's take on Sonic? After being unable to find any issues physically in my area I decided not to bother, but I'm still curious as to its quality.

I ran into the same problem and just started buying them online.

I could recommend the comic - with a few reservations. Losing all the character dynamics and world building from the end of the Archie run is a gut punch when you have to essentially start all over with IDW. You immediately miss out on the intensity left behind from characters like Cassia, Clove and Nephy. There is no air apparent to fill in that tension void of being forced to play both sides (and there can't be for at least a little while) which makes the starting plots a bit more black and white and a certainly more shallow. Sonic and his pals are more or less free to do their thing with less consequences and fallout. The new comic needs to set the ground work before it can get back to that kind of storytelling. The new characters are fun, and you can see Ian seeding more stuff for the future... its just gotta have time to get there. 

Aside from the lost assets, I feel like the new comic is quite enjoyable. The artists are given much more room to do what they do best (there seems to be much more focus on art over dialog for stretches) and there are a handful of issues that already stand as some of the best drawn pieces Sonic's ever had. ABT is a beast. Aside from Hesse's work on Mega Drive, I hanen't seen art this good in a Sonic comic since the days of Axer and Spaz. If your a fan of the artwork, there is enough here to get excited about. If you just cherry pick his issues you wont be disappointed.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Maxtiis said:

Really it depends on who you ask. Personally I find the book fun for the most part it's not exactly as deep as Archie got but I'm enjoying it as a fun ride with characters I enjoy. 

I don't really know what to say other than its a fun read that's very in character for everyone and the new characters are pretty cool. 

10 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

When do we get the previews for issue 12 and covers for issue 13?

The preview will be a week before the issue release, on January 9th. It got delayed a further week. 

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

At no point were they supposed to be sandals. I think the issue is that the jump from classic to modern altered the shoe design in a way that became ambiguous to read. Classic Knuckles' shoes are more like yellow shoes with red heel and toe, as opposed to red shoes with a yellow stripe. 

2 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

I ran into the same problem and just started buying them online.

I could recommend the comic - with a few reservations. Losing all the character dynamics and world building from the end of the Archie run is a gut punch when you have to essentially start all over with IDW. You immediately miss out on the intensity left behind from characters like Cassia, Clove and Nephy. There is no air apparent to fill in that tension void of being forced to play both sides (and there can't be for at least a little while) which makes the starting plots a bit more black and white and a certainly more shallow. Sonic and his pals are more or less free to do their thing with less consequences and fallout. The new comic needs to set the ground work before it can get back to that kind of storytelling. The new characters are fun, and you can see Ian seeding more stuff for the future... its just gotta have time to get there. 

Aside from the lost assets, I feel like the new comic is quite enjoyable. The artists are given much more room to do what they do best (there seems to be much more focus on art over dialog for stretches) and there are a handful of issues that already stand as some of the best drawn pieces Sonic's ever had. ABT is a beast. Aside from Hesse's work on Mega Drive, I hanen't seen art this good in a Sonic comic since the days of Axer and Spaz. If your a fan of the artwork, there is enough here to get excited about. If you just cherry pick his issues you wont be disappointed.

Yeah I hear that people seem to like Tangle and Whisper a good deal, and they're both well designed so I'd imagine the rest of the artwork follows suit. Thanks for the write out though; if I find a copy somewhere I suppose I'll start my collection anew. At least with Archie finished I can conceivably collect all the issues from it someday

2 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

At no point were they supposed to be sandals. I think the issue is that the jump from classic to modern altered the shoe design in a way that became ambiguous to read. Classic Knuckles' shoes are more like yellow shoes with red heel and toe, as opposed to red shoes with a yellow stripe. 

Okay, I thought I remembered something to that effect, but just assumed Knuckles was the second least changed in the transition. Though I remembered something more in line with Tails' shoes.

And you are exactly right.

6c642d6b4ba3af9c36bb59b99eecac30

2 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Guys what was your favorite and least favorite issue and why?

I was just thinking about following @Sega DogTagz lead with a dip into that territory, but I guess I talk about this in its own right again:

Issue #2 Fallout Part 2

Issue #5 The Fate of Dr Eggman Part 1

Issue #7 Meet the New Boss

Issue #8 Silent Support

Issue #3 Fallout Part 3

Issue #9 The Battle for Angel Island Part 1

Issue #11 The Battle for Angel Island Part 3

Issue #4 Fallout Part 4

Issue #1 Fallout Part 1

Issue #10 The Battle for Angel Island Part 2

Issue #6 The Fate of Dr Eggman Part 2

On 1/5/2019 at 11:37 AM, Marco9966 said:

Favorite - #2, I think—we’ve got great art, dialogue, and introduction to Amy with an actual arc happening as well.

Least favorite - I was gonna say #3, but I think it’s actually #8, because... I really don’t think it needed to happen. Of all the issues so far it easily feels the most filler-y to me.

(Also, for feet, I’d just give them something like this:)

220E7899-BBB9-425C-9DBA-186B5C9C4560.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

The red of Knuckles shoes blending in with the rest of him never really bothered me, it's actually pretty sound design-wise since he's not Sonic and you would rather draw attention to his fists and upper body...

• Thumbs Up 3

13 hours ago, Cuz said:

The red of Knuckles shoes blending in with the rest of him never really bothered me, it's actually pretty sound design-wise since he's not Sonic and you would rather draw attention to his fists and upper body...

Fair enough.

On 1/5/2019 at 8:37 PM, Marco9966 said:

Fave:

Sonic IDW Issue 9, Whisper's introduction and entrance was executed really well , you get a sense of wanting to know more about her and the little details we get from then new character is all visual. and I really like it when the  comic book doesn't hold its readers hand. Art is great and Silver and Sonic's interaction was written really well and there is even some cute interaction between Silver and Whisper. Silver is also such a pure wholesome dork in this issue.

LEAST fave
Sonic IDW 3,
Rough and Tumblr just aren't that engaging to see nor do they seem like interesting characters , they remind me of the Deadly Six. (not a good thing) also the art is a bit lackluster in this issue. I cant really tell what it is, but it feels stiff. 

20 minutes ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

LEAST fave
Sonic IDW 3,
Rough and Tumblr just aren't that engaging to see nor do they seem like interesting characters

They were mainly meant to be a pair of ruffian villains for the heroes to fight from time to time, with this introduction basically treating them as those bandit type characters you see in some anime.

With that said, one of the few problems I did have with this one is the fact that the two do seem a little interchangeable characterization-wise.

they remind me of the Deadly Six. (not a good thing)

I do get Zazz and a small bit of Zavok vibes from them, yes.

also the art is a bit lackluster in this issue. I cant really tell what it is, but it feels stiff. 

It kinda looks like an odd, licensed book based off Sonic Advance style art to me. 

There's also the fact that some of colors are either rather flat like markers or oddly shaded.

2 hours ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

LEAST fave
Sonic IDW 3,
Rough and Tumblr just aren't that engaging to see nor do they seem like interesting characters , they remind me of the Deadly Six. (not a good thing) also the art is a bit lackluster in this issue. I cant really tell what it is, but it feels stiff. 

I think the problem is it's the first time Jen has inked her own work for a Sonic Comic so we got that weird bold inking. I honestly felt the art itself flowed pretty good from panel to panel and I'm fully in the minority here but I loved Heather's colors. They're so bright and vibrant.

5 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I think the problem is it's the first time Jen has inked her own work for a Sonic Comic so we got that weird bold inking. I honestly felt the art itself flowed pretty good from panel to panel and I'm fully in the minority here but I loved Heather's colors. They're so bright and vibrant.

Oh, I liked the brightness and generally style, too.

There were just a few moments where it looked it a little...sketchy.

47 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Oh, I liked the brightness and generally style, too.

There were just a few moments where it looked it a little...sketchy.

I hope she does her inks better in the annual or get an inker.