Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

I wonder if there will be a follow up on this, with Metal Sonic. Nice preview anyway.

Also, what characters do you think will appear in issue 12? Not all of the heroes, I think. For example Shadow will likely disappear for a while.

And what characters will appear in "Season 2"? So far we have confirmed:

Sonic, Tails, Dr. Eggman, Rough, Tumble, Dr. Starline, Amy and Silver.

I wouldn't mind a smaller cast this year.

On 1/9/2019 at 10:29 PM, SenEDDtor Missile said:

I believe you’re thinking of Chaos Diamonds 3,

Yes! That's it. I liked that webcomic back in the day.

written by a guy who was popular at the time but got outed as a scumbag and pedophile.

Oh. Didn't knew that...

6 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Well that entire exchange was kinda dumb.

Reveal hidden contents

I know Archie had a history with robots and free wills, but Metal Sonic has never shown to be beyond his destructive programming in the games. Why would Sonic be trying this now?

Well to be fair, shadow did in the rivals games. And it kind of worked, and it had meaning having shadow do it. Given you know, he had changed. How its being done, now or attempted is weird

Spoiler

Sonic has never shown any care about metal sonic and has actively blown him up and his egg robot compatriots

6 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Because Sonic isn't the type of person to hold grudges and prefers to let bygones be bygones.

Sonic hasn't really given a crap about an egg robot before. Its not about holding a grudge, he just never cared. I don't think sonic would go out and find some egg robot's corpse and kick it forever. But I don't think he cared that it was there either.

4 hours ago, Razule said:

Maybe he's on a redemption kick. And this is still a different universe from the games, just very similar. We don't quite know the history yet, and the comics allow for more room for characterization than the games.

Although, knowing the mandates and that he's a game character that can never permanently change in such a way, it kinda falls flat, but not everyone who reads the comic is aware of those.

And that's sort of the problem, not everyone is aware of those. But alot of people do read comic book media, and they are aware of status quo. There are things that break this on occasion, but things usually go back to normal. And I can't help but think playing against the medium like this , with no room for these stories to eventually matter because of it, is gonna bite Ian in the ass. Because I have been here before with other writers for super hero books, and that doesn't end well. 

6 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Well to be fair, shadow did in the rivals games. And it kind of worked, and it had meaning having shadow do it. Given you know, he had changed. How its being done, now or attempted is weird

Reveal hidden contents

Sonic has never shown any care about metal sonic and has actively blown him up and his egg robot compatriots

Sonic hasn't really given a crap about an egg robot before.

So? That doesn't mean he never would.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

So? That doesn't mean he never would.

Sure, but I don't think there anything to gain here story wise or morally.

Spoiler

And it someways it could come off as mildly insulting

But we will see where it goes

Spoiler

It seems Metal Sonic can't talk without his Neo upgrade. Ah, well. I like the callback to Shard's speech in Forged in Fire, where it's established Metal can't break away from Eggman even if he wanted to.

Anyways, onto Dr. Platypus!

Sure, but I don't think there anything to gain here story wise or morally.

Reveal hidden contents

And it someways it could come off as mildly insulting

But we will see where it goes

I doubt anything is going to come from it, but it's a good gesture nonetheless on Sonic's part.

10 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Want some previews? Have some previews.

Reveal hidden contents

image0.jpgimage0.jpgimage0.jpg

Huh. Wasn't expecting that.

7 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Well that entire exchange was kinda dumb.

Hide contents

I know Archie had a history with robots and free wills, but Metal Sonic has never shown to be beyond his destructive programming in the games. Why would Sonic be trying this now?

Apparently, there was something like that in Rivals 2?

But really, I think it's just a matter of Sonic wanting to put most of the Eggman stuff behind him and giving Metal a chance to do something else with it's creator gone is just a way of exercising it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I doubt anything is going to come from it, but it's a good gesture nonetheless on Sonic's part.

Maybe I dunno. He's probably gonna blow up more eggman robots who have free thought and autonomy with out asking how they feel, which kind of makes this entire exchange... sort of meaningless. But hey maybe someone else will derive joy from that, i'm not the only one who reads these things. Its just... weird

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

Apparently, there was something like that in Rivals 2?

Shadow did it though, and the reason that worked... is narrative connections and stuff.

Spoiler

Like being made in a lab, and shadow was already friends with omega. Unless i'm remembering rivals 2 wrong and I might be, I haven't played too much of those games. The reason that was interesting because it seemed like... no one else bothered to ask how metal sonic felt or tried to connect to him, he was just a robot. And shadow took the time to like try and relate to him because he could relate to ( possibly ) being a thing someone made in a lab and he could definitely relate to having your autonomy taken from you and attempted to be taken from you. That worked , that worked as like ... a thing, there was a thematic parallel.

Here... I dunno, Sonic never really cared before. And is possibly not gonna care in the future, and there's no... thematic connection or anything or any reason for sonic to care. It just comes off as fake i guess?

But I dunno, maybe this is the first step to the cool shadow metal sonic, sonic rival thing that happens. I don't know, but as it stands Ian seems to be playing against the medium he's in a lot. I hope it works out

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

Eh, Metal Sonic really isn't much to care about, to be honest.

Like , in the context of like people caring about him, or the franchise in general

Because I agree with the latter

11 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Reveal hidden contents

I have to say that I personally love this scene as it highlights Sonic's kindness and his total irresponsibility in a way that just feels him to me.

Spoiler

It also actually parallels back to his decision with Mr. Tinker and shows a consistency on Sonic's part to give dangerous individuals a chance to be something better regardless of how he should know better. I can understand how it can annoy people to be sure but I think it's truthful and consistent to the type of character who even in the OVA where he was presented as far bigger jerk than most places outside of Fleetway he still tried to rescue Metal despite his double trying to kill him even after Tails' hack. The room for a relationship to build between the two that plays on their nuances and not just their basic conflict excites me honestly.

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I disagree for the most part. Sonic's relationship with Metal has always been shown to be just a bit different when there is at least a little story content such as the OVA and even Sonic Heroes where Sonic openly invites Metal to try again despite the harm that Metal's actions caused less hero inclined characters like Big and Cream. I think part of it has to do with Sonic being an adrenaline junky and Metal being one the sources of the thrills that he seeks so he is fairly lenient on the AI as a result just like he is Eggman. When it comes to his own enjoyment of life Sonic can get very irresponsible. It's a shame it will never be addressed either since combined with his compassion it creates an interesting tension between him and other characters, especially Shadow even though that conflict has already been squandered in this comic.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

I have to say that I personally love this scene as it highlights Sonic's kindness and his total irresponsibility in a way that just feels him to me.

Reveal hidden contents

It also actually parallels back to his decision with Mr. Tinker and shows a consistency on Sonic's part to give dangerous individuals a chance to be something better regardless of how he should know better. I can understand how it can annoy people to be sure but I think it's truthful and consistent to the type of character who even in the OVA where he was presented as far bigger jerk than most places outside of Fleetway he still tried to rescue Metal despite his double trying to kill him even after Tails' hack. The room for a relationship to build between the two that plays on their nuances and not just their basic conflict excites me honestly.

Hide contents

I disagree for the most part. Sonic's relationship with Metal has always been shown to be just a bit different when there is at least a little story content such as the OVA and even Sonic Heroes where Sonic openly invites Metal to try again despite the harm that Metal's actions caused less hero inclined characters like Big and Cream. I think part of it has to do with Sonic being an adrenaline junky and Metal being one the sources of the thrills that he seeks so he is fairly lenient on the AI as a result just like he is Eggman. When it comes to his own enjoyment of life Sonic can get very irresponsible. It's a shame it will never be addressed either since combined with his compassion it creates an interesting tension between him and other characters, especially Shadow even though that conflict has already been squandered in this comic.

Thank you for your response, I say you always have very interesting interpretations of things. Always a joy

Spoiler

I don't quite think that works with shadow anymore though. Or rather fighting with him, the last time sonic fought shadow in anything canon was sonic fighting a version of shadow from SA2. I think the underlying interpretation of that interaction is "I'll joke a little, but this guy if wanted to will kill me, so i'll just live him alone " . I think the most you will get is maybe a race , but that's about it. Even with how with how bad issue 6 was that sort of permeated the issue " I'm going to destract , him not really going to fight him because that isn't gonna go well for anyone.

So while I totally can see sonic being such an adrenaline junkie he just likes having metal sonic fight him from time to time. And possibly a weird sociopaths bent for his motivations. I don't think that's why that issue was squandered. I might be missremembering but i remember Ian flynn talking about, on another podcast not bumbleking about how shadow's a bit hard to write fighting sonic because he is a good dude and largely doesn't care about sonic in any greater rival sense besides an occasional quiip and their lives are so different they aren't each other enough. And went on to talk about how it kind of sucks that a lot of sonic characters end up being good dudes because that takes certain dynamics away.  So I guess if the issue squandered anything its more so the idea that shadow's value to the audience purely his ability to try and fight the protagonist. Which makes him, IMO look like a lot more useless because everyone else was showing what they do... actually contributing to things.  but i'm not going into that rant again

12 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Hide contents

That last line oh, Tails. Don't you know anything about Dramatic Irony? You never say things like that!

Also I guess only Neo Metal is allowed to talk. Whatever I've stopped caring.

2 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Maybe I dunno. He's probably gonna blow up more eggman robots who have free thought and autonomy with out asking how they feel, which kind of makes this entire exchange... sort of meaningless. But hey maybe someone else will derive joy from that, i'm not the only one who reads these things. Its just... weird

Shadow did it though, and the reason that worked... is narrative connections and stuff.

Reveal hidden contents

Like being made in a lab, and shadow was already friends with omega. Unless i'm remembering rivals 2 wrong and I might be, I haven't played too much of those games. The reason that was interesting because it seemed like... no one else bothered to ask how metal sonic felt or tried to connect to him, he was just a robot. And shadow took the time to like try and relate to him because he could relate to ( possibly ) being a thing someone made in a lab and he could definitely relate to having your autonomy taken from you and attempted to be taken from you. That worked , that worked as like ... a thing, there was a thematic parallel.

No other Eggman robot has autonomy tho, at least to the same extent as Metal aside from Orbot and Cubot.

Like, people are reading way too much into this jeez. Sonic just called a truce, it's not like he was asking to be friends.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

That last line oh, Tails. Don't you know anything about Dramatic Irony? You never say things like that!

Also I guess only Neo Metal is allowed to talk. Whatever I've stopped caring.

Hey man

I'm Sure everything will be totally fine!

Sounds of the eggman robo army grow louder in the background

1 minute ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

No other Eggman robot has autonomy tho, at least to the same extent as Metal aside from Orbot and Cubot.

Like, people are reading way too much into this jeez. Sonic just called a truce, it's not like he was asking to be friends.

I don't think i'm reading into it too much? Maybe I wasn't clear, or didn't mention it?

I don't actually care that much, I think its a bit weird, but its whatever man its cool. I got other issues with this comic that I would like to get fixed, sonic being kind of friendly to metal sonic isn't one of the high ranking ones.

That said that whole scene is one of my other issues , being the whole thing is basically " Hey metal sonic is still alive" but did we really need that to confirm that? Metal sonic could come back and no one would question it. Seems like trying to give context to something that never really needed context, one of the more cartoony aspects of the series. Metal sonic just comes back. I dunno

3 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Yeah. He even straight up says he isn't expecting them to be buddies or anything. Sonic's just showing a little compassion because he's y'know, Sonic.

Reveal hidden contents

I don't quite think that works with shadow anymore though. Or rather fighting with him, the last time sonic fought shadow in anything canon was sonic fighting a version of shadow from SA2. I think the underlying interpretation of that interaction is "I'll joke a little, but this guy if wanted to will kill me, so i'll just live him alone " . I think the most you will get is maybe a race , but that's about it. Even with how with how bad issue 6 was that sort of permeated the issue " I'm going to destract , him not really going to fight him because that isn't gonna go well for anyone '

Spoiler

The way Sonic is with Metal definitely doesn't work with him and Shadow to be sure, but his compassion and resultant irresponsibility does allow for a more philosophical type of clash with Shadow. While Shadow is also very compassionate, unlike Sonic he is very responsible, almost to the point of going to far (which worked back in Archie when him and Knuckles fought over how to protect the Master Emerald). The way they sit on those two extremes creates natural friction between them and that should always lead to interesting interactions and now that twice Sonic has let dangerous villains go that will inevitably come back to bite everyone in the rear only increases the friction between them which actually plays well to their supposed rivalry. After all, rivals typically are trying to achieve the same goal, just occasionally with different means to achieve the same ends and Sonic's compassion and irresponsibility going up against Shadow's compassion and over responsibility should lend itself brilliantly to rather engaging clashes between Sonic and Shadow beyond just punching each other in the face. As someone who enjoys Sonic's philosophical side when it comes into play Shadow is the perfect character not only to bring it out, but both challenge it and allow for the highlighting of how tightly Sonic sticks to his guns. If there was more room for exploring the characters Shadow's natural stance as someone who should challenge Sonic's life views would be a great way to explore why Sonic holds so tightly to them with such conviction. Much as I like the blue hedgehog just being kind, carefree, and generally as irresponsible as he is would not naturally lead to the conviction that Sonic has to live life his way no matter what. That's an extreme and extremes usually have a great deal of history and nuance behind them, and Sonic should be no exception if you are going to provide any kind of narrative.

7 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Hey man

I'm Sure everything will be totally fine!

Sounds of the eggman robo army grow louder in the background

I don't think i'm reading into it too much? Maybe I wasn't clear, or didn't mention it?

I don't actually care that much, I think its a bit weird, but its whatever man its cool. I got other issues with this comic that I would like to get fixed, sonic being kind of friendly to metal sonic isn't one of the high ranking ones.

That said that whole scene is one of my other issues , being the whole thing is basically " Hey metal sonic is still alive" but did we really need that to confirm that? Metal sonic could come back and no one would question it. Seems like trying to give context to something that never really needed context, one of the more cartoony aspects of the series. Metal sonic just comes back. I dunno

You said you don't have a problem, then explain that you do...

Dude, it's just a denouement for Metal. That's it. If it bugs you fine, but its like...its such a minor thing...

8 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

You said you don't have a problem, then explain that you do...

...Yeah? I don't really have an issue with sonic being nice to metal. Its whatever, just weird. I do have issue with Ian showing trying to tell something that doesn't really need to be explained, this isn't going to ruin the comic forever. But I don't feel like its a good habit to have? Sometimes you can let the audience figure out some stuff. I just hope he lays off it a bit in future.

Dude, it's just a denouement for Metal. That's it. If it bugs you fine, but its like...its such a minor thing...

I guess? All i'm saying is these pages kinda feel needless and this isn't a good writing habit. I dunno doesn't really feel that serious

16 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Also Wanted to mention

Actually there was omega , and he wasn't the first. So stands to reason that occasionally these robots do have autonomy because eggman deems that as a means to function in a more effective for anthro animal  murdering. So there's probably quite a few that can think for themselves , but sonic was too busy bashing em to care. This isn't me making some

GAME THEORY SONIC IS A ROBOT MURDERER

video,  but eggman has made robots with autonomy before to attack sonic and his cohorts.

2 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

What was pointless about it?

I dunno, I don't think any purpose was served having sonic be nice to the robot or him and tails going out to find it. It , to me, spoke to as a means to purely communicate that metal sonic exists. But metal sonic is an entity who just... comes back, maybe he's built, maybe he can regeneration like the liquid terminator from terminator 2, whatever it is he comes back and I don't really feel like that at the moment requires explanation. It doesn't ruin this book, because I don't what else happens in the book and wont know for like another week, but its as it stands seems kinda pointless.

I fully admit though there are ways, 2 in particular...actually scratch that 3 ways, I can see personally that make the scene matter that happen down the line. And ian being a different person can see other ways I can't see myself because different perspective. That said given some my complaints with the entire first year of this comic, I have a fear it might not really mean anything. Again, not everything in all stories has to have some deep meaning or connectivity. However this is instance where the thing being communicated was probably assumed to happen by most of the audience reading it.

So why go into it at all, let them speculate on their own.

But again, eh. I dunno man it don't really matter much

3 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I dunno, I don't think any purpose was served having sonic be nice to the robot or him and tails going out to find it. It , to me, spoke to as a means to purely communicate that metal sonic exists. But metal sonic is an entity who just... comes back, maybe he's built, maybe he can regeneration like the liquid terminator from terminator 2, whatever it is he comes back and I don't really feel like that at the moment requires explanation. It doesn't ruin this book, because I don't what else happens in the book and wont know for like another week, but its as it stands seems kinda pointless.

I fully admit though there are ways, 2 in particular...actually scratch that 3 ways, I can see personally that make the scene matter that happen down the line. And ian being a different person can see other ways I can't see myself because different perspective. That said given some my complaints with the entire first year of this comic, I have a fear it might not really mean anything. Again, not everything in all stories has to have some deep meaning or connectivity. However this is instance where the thing being communicated was probably assumed to happen by most of the audience reading it.

So why go into it at all, let them speculate on their own.

But again, eh. I dunno man it don't really matter much

All it is just some characterization man. Not every single panel needs to be some setup for a big story arc later. Sometimes it's good to just let the characters be themselves and nothing else.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

All it is just some characterization man. Not every single panel needs to be some setup for a big story arc later. Sometimes it's good to just let the characters be themselves and nothing else.

That's true, I don't think i said this outright but I believe i said " Not everything that happens needs to matter to some greater continuity " , yes? That said I don't think scene communicates any difference in characterization in sonic and tails, or in metal sonic really? I guess he didn't try to kill them, but that seemed more like a joke if anything. I guess it reinforces who sonic and tails are, but I feel as though... that's what the first year was about?

That said Its the beginning of the year. New start , new beginning and maybe they were using that as a means to do that at the top of the year before things get heavy? Dunno.

2 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

That's true, I don't think i said this outright but I believe i said " Not everything that happens needs to matter to some greater continuity " , yes? That said I don't think scene communicates any difference in characterization in sonic and tails, or in metal sonic really? I guess he didn't try to kill them, but that seemed more like a joke if anything. I guess it reinforces who sonic and tails are, but I feel as though... that's what the first year was about?

That said Its the beginning of the year. New start , new beginning and maybe they were using that as a means to do that at the top of the year before things get heavy? Dunno.

Like you said, new year and those first issues were almost a year ago. Nothing wrong with reestablishing characters. It's a short 3 panels and that's it.