Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Just now, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Like you said, new year and those first issues were almost a year ago. Nothing wrong with reestablishing characters. It's a short 3 panels and that's it.

You aren't wrong. Like I said my self, the issue could be fine. And like I said myself, this issue is particular as it stands, minor.

Really like the preview, I hope this means there be some development for Metal, I dont need him to become a 100 percent Good guy/Shard-alike. But it be neat if we get to see Metal like we saw in Sonic OVA.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Well that entire exchange was kinda dumb.

Hide contents

I know Archie had a history with robots and free wills, but Metal Sonic has never shown to be beyond his destructive programming in the games. Why would Sonic be trying this now?

This follows the games in most ways; Metal demonstrated clear autonomy beyond simply following Eggman, and after that he's been reduced to Eggman's bulldog. Sonic wanted to break him of that and go back to thinking freely (hopefully growing into his own person as opposed to just wanting to be Sonic).

42 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

I hope Metal Sonic becomes Shard and be grateful for Sonic and Tails to let him go.

I think if Gemerl is on the table for IDW, he'll fill that niche like he did in the Archie book's last year.

I also like when Ian does try to get characters to reason with Metal to go beyond his programming, and even if it doesn't go well, it can be interesting at times. We had Shadow and Shard both struggle to bring him over for entire issues respectively to no avail, it's cool that Sonic decides to give him a chance but doesn't really bother to press it. Actually lines up pretty well with Sonic's personality too since he didn't have any reason to believe Eggman was ever coming back at this point (I mean, we know better, but that's not the point).

• Thumbs Up 5

Kinda hoping maybe Metal Sonic will spend a few issues as a goal-less weaponless robot. Maybe even imply he's gotten just a biiit friendlier from the events, before Eggman returns and goes "eh, what's this new kindness datafile he got, better delete that" for a slightly tragic scene. Mandates and general status quo mean we can't have Metal Sonic turning good for good, so why not play that for mild in-universe drama?

• Thumbs Up 3

I love the fact that despite the fact that Metal Sonic left, he still has the broken chains on his arms...both figuratively and literally.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's possible he could become a future foe again but honestly feel like metal us simply mad he lost but is going to sit and think over his purpose now. The hand slap honestly could have been a chocke or punch but he simply slapped away he hand and left. No attacks or pushing. Simply left upset

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

That said that whole scene is one of my other issues , being the whole thing is basically " Hey metal sonic is still alive" but did we really need that to confirm that? Metal sonic could come back and no one would question it. Seems like trying to give context to something that never really needed context, one of the more cartoony aspects of the series. Metal sonic just comes back. I dunno

The last time someone thrashed Metal in that form we got left with this - which invites all kinds of questions.

123.jpg.2807f370b422f9c66d789a87ce66cc45.jpg

I'm pretty happy we got some closure outside of the normal "I'll GET YOU NEXT TIME" Supervision cliche.

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

I'm pretty happy we got some closure outside of the normal "I'll GET YOU NEXT TIME" Supervision cliche.

He basically said that with his body language.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Like , in the context of like people caring about him, or the franchise in general

Because I agree with the latter

Eh, a little of the former, but sure.

7 hours ago, SBR2 said:

That last line oh, Tails. Don't you know anything about Dramatic Irony? You never say things like that!

Also I guess only Neo Metal is allowed to talk. Whatever I've stopped caring.

Spoiler

Metal Sonic gets the BoomFont confirmed.

7 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

No other Eggman robot has autonomy tho, at least to the same extent as Metal aside from Orbot and Cubot.

Like, people are reading way too much into this jeez. Sonic just called a truce, it's not like he was asking to be friends.

And Omega. And Gemerl.

7 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

That said that whole scene is one of my other issues , being the whole thing is basically " Hey metal sonic is still alive" but did we really need that to confirm that? Metal sonic could come back and no one would question it. Seems like trying to give context to something that never really needed context, one of the more cartoony aspects of the series. Metal sonic just comes back. I dunno

Yeah, that's pretty much what it is.

I didn't expect them to really do anything much with Metal beyond maybe having him in the background of Tails' workshop or a throwaway about him being in a cell. But this at least shows what I explained earlier regarding Sonic's current attitude.

3 hours ago, Someguy said:

Kinda hoping maybe Metal Sonic will spend a few issues as a goal-less weaponless robot. Maybe even imply he's gotten just a biiit friendlier from the events, before Eggman returns and goes "eh, what's this new kindness datafile he got, better delete that" for a slightly tragic scene. Mandates and general status quo mean we can't have Metal Sonic turning good for good, so why not play that for mild in-universe drama?

Honestly, I doubt he could even temporarily reform. Since Eggman removed all the disobedience from his coding, Metal can't do anything against Eggman's wishes even if he wanted to- Hence why he was going to hand over the world to Eggman after conquering it himself. Metal just reasoned with himself that one-upping Sonic was enough of a personal goal.

But even if Eggman was dead as this point, Metal still wouldn't be free. To paraphrase his speech to the Grandmasters in Archie's Scrambled: "You thought I would grant any of you freedom in my demise?! I OWN you! You will serve this empire until the day you die! Or until I grow tired of you. Same thing in the end." While seeing him try to build his own identity a la Shard would be neat, I think Gemerl already fits that niche just fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

I hope Metal Sonic becomes Shard and be grateful for Sonic and Tails to let him go.

Eh...that's kind of a trap trigger on two ends.

5 hours ago, Zaysho said:

I think if Gemerl is on the table for IDW, he'll fill that niche like he did in the Archie book's last year.

To be fair, it think Gemerl is less meant to be Shard and more a deviation from when he copied certain people as Emerl.

Which arguably raises a peculiar question of why Cream would want him to act like that.

4 hours ago, Someguy said:

Kinda hoping maybe Metal Sonic will spend a few issues as a goal-less weaponless robot. 

That is kinda how it can crumble.

Of course, I don't think he was mentioned in that event book.

3 hours ago, Meta77 said:

It's possible he could become a future foe again but honestly feel like metal us simply mad he lost but is going to sit and think over his purpose now. The hand slap honestly could have been a chocke or punch but he simply slapped away he hand and left. No attacks or pushing. Simply left upset

Didn't Sonic offer to shake his hand as a truce.

21 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Want some previews? Have some previews.

Reveal hidden contents

image0.jpgimage0.jpgimage0.jpg

Spoiler

Classic Sonic finds it odd that classic Amy helps Metal Sonic when he's damage so I wonder what he would say to his modern self about this good deed.

I think that ya'll have too much hope for gemeril.

5 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

The last time someone thrashed Metal in that form we got left with this - which invites all kinds of questions.

123.jpg.2807f370b422f9c66d789a87ce66cc45.jpg

I think Sega was gonna use team dark as a sort of reformed bad guy team that shadow was gonna lead, but changed their minds.

45 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I think that ya'll have too much hope for gemeril.

And why, pray tell?

45 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I think Sega was gonna use team dark as a sort of reformed bad guy team that shadow was gonna lead, but changed their minds.

Probably because reforming Metal Sonic would've been kinda dumb.

Well that and that's a tight, limiting thing anyway.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

And why, pray tell?

I think ian had ideas. And then Sega occurred, and then those ideas changed drastically 2 times. One time Ian was optimistically talking about archie characters, and then that shit changed right quick. And the 2nd time where he had a different version of the script and then the people in charge had different ideas and things were changed.  And while gemeril could just show up someplace else, I just don't think he's gonna show up. At least for a bit, I get the feeling sega could be being a bit weird. Or he could show up in this issue and i'm wrong.

I just think the only apperence gemeril is gonna make is on that cover on accident

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Probably because reforming Metal Sonic would've been kinda dumb.

Well that and that's a tight, limiting thing anyway.

I mean I never liked metal sonic anyway so I can't really decide if its dumb or not. I think it could be ok if you tried hard enough

1 hour ago, Riggo said:

Hopefully no one else has made this outdated joke 

D535A02B-5BD8-4990-93F7-12E4390A6F43.jpeg

Apparently that panel is a reference to a sonic universe panel

15 minutes ago, kimplix said:

It's new cover time

sonic_idw_13_cover_a.thumb.jpg.690cc8576afb5d9ea28db176304c3973.jpg

sonic_idw_13_cover_b.thumb.jpg.d02eed465f3319b4981bd7bca0081be5.jpg

Interesting that they chose a green  and indigo color for their text.

Also noticing some parallel drawn between Tumble and Amy, lately..

Nice hiding him there, btw.

10 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Apparently that panel is a reference to a sonic universe panel

Are you sure about that?

2vjr9qw.png

• Thumbs Up 1