Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

12 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I downright think this whole "Shadow isn't being properly utilised" nonsense doesn't even make any sense either way.

Because you don't see Shadow that much at his most active. Shadow unlike Sonic, always has context on deep issues resolving him and being a troubled with his existence, always seeking truths and going all the way to find answers. Ian failed to use Shadow to a justified manner of wanting to kill eggman because the build up was outta no where in his debut.

Now, to be frank, I skim read the above post because...well it's a massive wall of text, but I saw several things like he shouldn't be in this cast of charismatic characters and such, and he's being shafted and whatever else. Now, let's ignore the fact that Issue 11 had Shadow breaking off from the rest of the cast to fight Metal Sonic alongside Sonic and Knuckles, despite the fact Shadow has little to no relevance to this plot than the others, yet he was still the one who got to be apart of the main final fight (how that's a shaft, idk), but let's focus in on that point of him not fitting.

We know what he does in the story, but we never see the story elaborate on those reasons for doing it. We have a in depth focus on every character contributing to stopping Metal, but never real center the build up of Shadow's apperance in helping Sonic and Knuckles, or where he was during the events prior to his emergance to fight Metal. Ian should be ashamed that he rather move the plot with sonic and knuckles side kicks than focus side development for a so called main player for fighting the boss. This was unacceptable. He also didn't amount to anything eye opening like Knuckles in the end. Ian barely made him used him and Sonic to stop Metal for the majority of his defeat.

I absolutely disagree. Shadow's role in the cast is very important, because exactly because of how much he contrasts against the rest of the group. Shadow is more serious, willing to do dirty work, and is a character who is much more based on the "ends justify the means" mindset.

I would agree if Ian wrote Shadow to actually make good on those actions rather than end up statementing against the heroes in ethics and in fights. Every pragmatic or serious controversial act of violence is neutralized by sonic or other heroes intervention, making Shadow fail in achieving any of his priorities and initiatives. Ian had Amy humble Shadow of all people in archie. His role pretty much doesn't mean anything serious in this comic, it only serves to make the good guys humble him in the end.

He offers an important comparison and contrast to the rest of the cast because Shadow works on the level that he's a darker variation of Sonic. I know that sounds like some spin off into the area of "lol edgelord sonic", but it isn't, it's being honest IMO. 

He's not dark Sonic, when written correctly. He's treated as a twin foil to Sonic who in the end has even sonic's respect and acceptance in his ways, games wise.

Sonic has always been classified as a free-spirit, someone who doesn't really care what others, especially those who claim to be in a position of power says is right or wrong. It was the same in the Black Knight, he was willing to slay King Arthur and look like the villain of the universe because in his eyes, King Arthur was a megalomaniac who was trying to corrupt and rule the kingdom with an iron grip. Sonic sticks true to his own ideals and basically forgets what others might think of him. If he thinks it's correct, Sonic will often times go for it, and if he's wrong and he messes up, he'll often times just accept the mistake and continue moving onwards.

Shadow...is kind of the same, but in a darker sense. Shadow doesn't really listen to what he's ordered to do, or what he is told is right and wrong, the only real exception being whenever we see him as an agent of G.U.N. Bar that, Shadow often times will do what he absolutely believes is necessary to stop what he believes is "wrong". It's been like that since SA2, since in his eyes, what G.U.N had done to Maria was a injustice, and under the belief that Maria's dying wish was revenge for her death, he sets out to "right" this wrong.

Except Sonic and Shadow come to blows because Sonic and Shadow don't see eye to eye, they fight out of seeing different sides of the same moral convictions. They keep to themselves unless it's a emergency and Shadow doesn't fight Sonic for no reason unless he knows Sonic will stop him for any goal that makes Sonic step in his way. Sonic never willingly tries to stop Shadow in trying to achieve his dark deeds for justice unless he finds Shadow wanting to fight him. I feel you miss alot about their rivalry dynamic, not just Ian. Sonic was written way to indomitable when Shadow was written to oppose Sonic because Shadow and Sonic don't fight unless they expect to throw down. 

He's as cocky, as arrogant, and as sure of his own power and ideals as Sonic, but where Sonic is more carefree and sticks to brighter ideals of redemption and accepting mistakes, Shadow sets out to ensure that a danger to what he deems as "peace" isn't able to come back again. 

Shadow acknowledges him and Sonic fight for the same cause, Ian just conveniently forgot Shadow views Sonic as much as a dependable ally that would trust Sonic as much as he trusts Rouge and Omega, but would never pick a fight with Sonic that wasn't ready for it or he wasn't expecting Sonic to stop him. Shadow views Sonic as his ultimate rival after all. But when push comes to shove they have a tolerance of cooperation thats gets seriously violent and intense when they actually want to fight and crush each other. The comic treated Shadow and Sonic as light hearted twin brothers.

Bar all that though, it's just the fact Shadow serves as someone unique to bounce off of. No one in the rest of the Sonic cast is as much of a straight man as Shadow,

Uh Tails

, Shadow is too dark, mysterious, arrogant, and cold/distant to be anyones straight man. If anything he would be akin to throwing the deadpan snarking considering his immortality and the fact everyone he's around will die before he does. I'd rather have the characters bounce off him as the straight man to his over the top edge. Might as well make him a pure quirky parody of a serious anti hero.

and that just works well for good character interaction. It's fun to see Shadow's serious nature break and his competitive side start to show when Sonic shows up to challenge his authority. It's fun when Shadow is forced to deal with interactions he doesn't know how to be prepared for, and it just allows for overall better character balancing so everyone isn't just a 24/7 snark machine. He fulfils an important character dynamic.

When it comes to Shadow and "fun", he's best when he lets his actions do the fun side of his character, Shadow is unique because like you said he has a serious nature thats just as unpredictable as Sonic's free spirit, it's best left unmentioned because Shadow works as a the foil to the setting than a foil to certain characters, his serious nature contrasts not only sonic and others but he comes from a world that contrasts sonic's standard world. So Shadow is like a force of natrue that works against the chaos, he's the reality/cold order of the Sonic universe.

1 minute ago, SBR2 said:

I think this is something people tend to overlook. People seem to be expecting a fully realized continuity to just exist already. Yes you can use Transformers or TMNT or Ghostbusters as examples of books that had their universes already defined except...

• Transformers started with a couple six issue miniseries with the spotlights to flesh out the massive amount of characters
  • TMNT had the Micro-Series issues than helped expand on the story of the main book
  • Ghostbusters...is freaking Ghostbusters. If you've seen the movies and played the game you know what you're in for

But Sonic is coming in with just the 12 issues and like Ghostbusters it's continuity is following off from that devised by the parent branch. 12 20 page issues to follow up on the events of a game most people hated and introduce the world and characters to new readers and bring in new characters and set up storylines for the future is hones honestly way harder than people are giving it credit for.

I still think that for the first year of the book, the arc absolutely should've been revised, as I said in the past before, it was too torn between original stuff and new stuff that the original stuff didn't really get time to develop and the game stuff was pretty undercooked. The stuff that's strong before, namely character interaction is still really strong, but I still feel that even establishing a continuity, it could've been done pretty better and much more focused in general. It isn't helped by the fact that we started the arc just immediately jumping into an 12 issue "epic" that engrossed the full year when we legitimately could've done what TMNT did and split the first year into three arcs, each based around introducing a piece of the universe. When I jumped into the IDW TMNT run, I hadn't read the micro-series because what the main series did was do a good amount of pacing, and got me invested relatively quickly by taking it's time with three smaller, more personal arcs before the insane stuff, to the point that by the time we finally got to the first major arc, which was City Fall, it was one of the best of the series because all of the previous smaller arcs was used to tie-in and set it up extremely well. 

I mentioned in a previous post that I would like a Sonic/Tails team-up arc at some point, even pretty close to this point, because I kind of dig the idea of a smaller cool-down arc before Eggman gets into business with his latest and greatest scheme. Character interaction is absolutely Ian's strongest suit, and IDW Tails is the first time in a long time (at least since Boom) I've gotten to enjoy the guy again, so having a more chill arc with the two of them maybe journeying around the universe, stopping a few schemes from Starline/Rough & Tumble, and getting to focus in on the core Sonic friendship would be a nice palette cleanser I feel, and a good way to maybe try get people invested again.

I'm not asking for something that was as insanely long as the Shattered World Crisis, but maybe a 5-6 arc or miniseries with the two just adventuring and bonding would be pretty nice, and maybe open the pathway to doing the same with the likes of Amy, Knuckles, and Shadow.

• Thumbs Up 5

Oh look, more Shadow talk. Wonderful.

I'll give Dash genuine credit that part of his text seems to actually talk about the struggles of writing stories with Shadow in general, which is actually a broad conversation that's worth some degree of discussion.

It's just that it came a day or two after MORE complaining about Shadow's effect on Issue 6 and I really don't feel like talking about him right now.

• Absolutely 1

Sonic and Tails have enough default buddy arcs already in the games. It's freaking time for other characters to shine. Also I don't see how Shadow can't bring discussion for the most of the comics run, he's Shadow. He's a important figure in the series, would be as important as Eggman if Sega just made him more relevant with being Eggy's grandfather's experiment. Shadow doesn't have a place in the whole series. What purpose does he play if he can't play it as well as other characters, you just can't slap him the "grim anti hero" without a need for such a role in the main character narrative, as shown in the comic, Sonic treats Shadow like Metal Sonic, a imitation to play around with, but how is that more a indication to invest in his character if thats all he does so far, it doesn't highlight his strengths or weaknesses as far as being a pure rival to Sonic or someone even the most dangerous villains don't underestimate.

So a comparison that got me wondering was seeing someone describe Starline as being like a mixture of Finitevus and Snively and I'm kind of wondering how that would play out. Partly because I lack too much knowledge on Finitevus and even then from what I do know him and Snively both seem like manipulators who prefer working solo. This combined with Starline being designed around a gameplay mechanic that requires two other characters whose introductions have been pushed back but were supposedly supposed to be introduced with him to become clear leaves me wondering what to expect.

The Sonic and Tails stuff is played out for me. The character I want Sonic to be paired up with the most by far is Tangle because I think the book isn't giving her enough shine, but I'll take more weird team-ups like we saw with the likes of Silver in the first arc. 

Shit, I'd take an extended Sonic and Shadow roadtrip. I like how they play off one another.

• Thumbs Up 7

46 minutes ago, Wraith said:

The Sonic and Tails stuff is played out for me. The character I want Sonic to be paired up with the most by far is Tangle because I think the book isn't giving her enough shine, but I'll take more weird team-ups like we saw with the likes of Silver in the first arc. 

Shit, I'd take an extended Sonic and Shadow roadtrip. I like how they play off one another.

Maybe a Sonic/Rouge teamup? They have quite a few similarities such as being relatively independent, trolling Knuckles and being the respective leaders of their teams. The differences would come down to ethical and personal values more than anything, since Rouge prefers to manipulate the situation to give herself the most freedom/benefits, whereas Sonic tends to roll with whatever’s going on and probably might not find manipulation to be his thing. Plus it could offer some insight as to their respective leadership styles.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic/Rouge? Yes!!!

Also, Blaze and the Chaotix. Just for the sheer fuck of it.

Still fucking upset that we never got to to issue in Archie where Blaze and Bunnie Rabbot would meet and interact.

• Thumbs Up 2

22 minutes ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

Maybe a Sonic/Rouge teamup? They have quite a few similarities such as being relatively independent, trolling Knuckles and being the respective leaders of their teams. The differences would come down to ethical and personal values more than anything, since Rouge prefers to manipulate the situation to give herself the most freedom/benefits, whereas Sonic tends to roll with whatever’s going on and probably might not find manipulation to be his thing. Plus it could offer some insight as to their respective leadership styles.

More Rouge sounds good to me in general to be honest. Give me a Rouge story arc.

• Thumbs Up 5

Shadow and Silver. Two very different personalities. Shadow forbids Silver to say anything related to the future, as he doesn't want to mess anything up for him, but Silver knows something bad will happen to Team Dark very soon. 

He wants to say something, but Shadow being Shadow, threatens him into silence. Silver eventually says something when the circumstances arise, and saves the team, but Shadow attacks Silver for disobeying him. Rouge talks him down. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

I want that so bad. They haven't shared a lot of panel time so far but each time they have so far they've played off each other so well I want to see either an arc or just an issue of them on a mission. 

You all aren't using your cosmic brains

Omega and Tails, think about it.

1 hour ago, HywelAtTheMoon said:

Shadow and Silver. Two very different personalities. Shadow forbids Silver to say anything related to the future, as he doesn't want to mess anything up for him, but Silver knows something bad will happen to Team Dark very soon. 

He wants to say something, but Shadow being Shadow, threatens him into silence. Silver eventually says something when the circumstances arise, and saves the team, but Shadow attacks Silver for disobeying him. Rouge talks him down. 

hmm different interpretation but I feel like you might be taking the mephilies shadow thing in the wrong direction. Shadow didn't deny meph because he didn't wanna know the future, he just wasn't gonna be a bad guy because one person betrays him. Obviously depending on who that is, he's gonna be different levels of being pissed but I don't think he would care if silver told him future stuff.  He would just be like " Alight, we well cross that bridge when we get to it "

That said I don't think silver would tell him much of anything, silver's future is undefined atm. And making a hard call out for someone's future that might never be picked up on, or sega might block in the future because they themselves might have an idea.

Like I like your idea like silver having future information for a potential weird future characters not just shadow is neat. Maybe rouge beytrays shadow somehow and it causes him not to trust her which eventually causes the betrayal. Maybe some character no one suspected becomes a villain, there's a lot of places you can go with that. But I don't feel like sega would allow it, I don't feel like they don't want to lock down the past or future for these characters and leave them in a sort of stasis. Seems like they would vito the heck out of that.

But again I really like your idea

2 hours ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

Would like to point out, according to this book and iizuka on accident, not only is shadow the leader of that team. Apparently Team Dark Might be called Team Shadow in japan now or even was refered to that internally because he just called them that recently. 

2 hours ago, Wraith said:

More Rouge sounds good to me in general to be honest. Give me a Rouge story arc.

This would be sick

They aren't gonna do it and it sucks

1 minute ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

Would love to know more about Whisper , she has some personal struggles would love to see where it came from

She tried to sing one time for a talent show, and tripped during it. She was never the same

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Would like to point out, according to this book and iizuka on accident, not only is shadow the leader of that team. Apparently Team Dark Might be called Team Shadow in japan now or even was refered to that internally because he just called them that recently.

That is dumb. Rouge was clearly the one who started the team, and Shadow has always been more of a follower than a leader. A wild card yes, but a follower nonetheless. Kinda feels like a combination of them not seeing much value in Rouge like they do everyone not named Sonic, Tails and Eggman and also a bit of sexism at the same time.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I'm curious on what is Whisper's beef with Shadow. She was grilling him pretty hard on the ship.

He called her weak.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

???

At least one of those makes sense though.

It's because I ship it so it's not surprising. But seriously even beyond that I think Ian wrote some fun interactions between them.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I'm curious on what is Whisper's beef with Shadow. She was grilling him pretty hard on the ship.

Maybe he destroyed her village or something. Or a clone did it.

1 hour ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

That is dumb. Rouge was clearly the one who started the team, and Shadow has always been more of a follower than a leader. A wild card yes, but a follower nonetheless. Kinda feels like a combination of them not seeing much value in Rouge like they do everyone not named Sonic, Tails and Eggman and also a bit of sexism at the same time.

The simple answer is that Shadow is just way more popular and recognizable than Rouge, so of course they'd make him the leader over her.

Just now, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

The simple answer is that Shadow is just way more popular and recognizable than Rouge, so of course they'd make him the leader over her.

If he's supposed to be the leader, he's about as good a leader as Knuckles is...if not worse.

He's the leader in name only. All 3 of them as a team, it doesn't matter who the leader is...it's not like they go on missions and G.U.N. doesn't exist anymore.