Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

2 hours ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

I’d also be more inclined to believe that Sega/Sonic Team knows he makes them look incompetent with their own creations and don’t want him to really show it by taking one of their worst examples off the table.

this is a joke, right?

• Thumbs Up 2

I think Infinite is dead at this point. Because didn't Ian say that all dead characters were off limits? Wouldn't be surprising.

Also, is there more interesting info from the latest Bumblekast?

10 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

I read about that much of this quote before doing a double take, and then realizing there was more. Man I am tired right now...

...Giggity? :lol: 

14 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

The main reason they aren't liked is because they don't do anything really notable. 

because they do nothing of note.

I just really payed this attention--mind going into this?

Not explicitly about the Zeti, but go ahead.

10 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Sucks, but you know what?

I'm looking forward to ANY non-Eggman & his henchmen villain in this comic. Even Deadly Six.

I think that technically applies for the running franchise in general.

16 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Him and mephilies can share a room in the shame corner

To be fair, Mephiles(or brain of Solaris) was wiped out of existence in the same game he was introduced. Before that game actually got out to the reception it got.

Also, the Japanese-ran Runners.

6 hours ago, Flame Lance said:

On the contrary, they allowed Infinite to be used in the upcoming Battle Racers board game,

The what now?

Feels like I'm part of the minority that would have liked to see Flynn handle Infinite, the Jackal Squad, and the Deadly Six, so seeing that Infinite is off limits is fairly disappointing. That said though, he did address Infinite and the jackal Squad indirectly at least when Eggman was talking to Rough and Tumble so the seeds are already in place should SEGA change their minds sooner than later. For now though, instead of dwelling on this little disappointment I'll let Flynn tell me the stories he can and hope I'm entertained.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

But you’re right, it doesn’t mean forever when others like Cream, Emerl, and Omega were in the same boat.

What was the deal with Omega, to begin with?

5 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Flynn said that he would like to use all game locations, but he obviously can't because SEGA complicates it too much (dividing everything into human and animal world doesnt help).

He can't even name the locations, Final Egg is in mystic ruins which is in "human world".

There will be little to no worldbuilding unless SEGA changes its policies.

Oookay. There we go.

Do you have a source?

2 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

. That said though, he did address Infinite and the jackal Squad indirectly at least when Eggman was talking to Rough and Tumble so the seeds are already in place should SEGA change their minds sooner than later. 

Same with the Hooligans.

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Same with the Hooligans.

True. I'm fairly positive that if SEGA bends at any point he'll be like a pack of attack dogs and on that opportunity faster than you can go.

3 hours ago, Heckboy said:

this is a joke, right?

Honestly, if you think that Sonic Team has actually been writing these characters well, then sure it’s a joke.

49 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Honestly, I’m not the right person to ask because I have no clue.

I know Cream was barred because she was in the Sonic X comic at the time.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Zaysho said:

It's more in what they get to do versus them being better characters. They at least felt like a legitimate threat and had some fun interactions instead of just standing around and trash talking the player the whole time. I don't really care about exploring them in-depth, I just want to it to feel satisfying when the hero beats them. Their game incarnations are fucking losers.

I mean they could embrace that

They could just be suckey, and like work that into thier characters , maybe?

7 hours ago, Flame Lance said:

It just wouldn't make sense to scrap the character this soon with all the hype he generated and whatnot, and I don't really see any signs of SEGA scrapping him. On the contrary, they allowed Infinite to be used in the upcoming Battle Racers board game, they recently released a mini action figure of him and Zavok, and he's even a spirit in SSBU.

Mephilies

And those things were in the works before all that shit happened most likely.

4 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Oookay. There we go.

Do you have a source?

His latest bumblekast

21 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

His latest bumblekast

He didn't say it was because of SEGA. It was because the games that SEGA made themselves didn't make sense with the location in real life. There's nothing about being forbidden to use or name locations. You need to actually pay attention to the details before you report something. This is what got Ian riled up in the last Bumblekast:  people taking his statements out of context and turning it into misinformation.

Just now, PublicEnemy1 said:

He didn't say it was because of SEGA. It was because the games that SEGA made themselves didn't make sense with the location in real life. There's nothing about being forbidden to use or name locations. You need to actually pay attention to the details before you report something. This is what got Ian riled up in the last Bumblekast:  people taking his statements out of context and turning it into misinformation.

He did not say of course, but I wrote what I think about the subject. I said it's most likely becuause of all the SEGA restrictions.

1 minute ago, Marco9966 said:

He did not say of course, but I wrote what I think about the subject. I said it's most likely becuause of all the SEGA restrictions.

could you time stamp me

4 hours ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Honestly, if you think that Sonic Team has actually been writing these characters well, then sure it’s a joke.

I was more asking if you honestly thought a corporation holds some kind of personal grudge against a semi-popular American comic book writer, and that's the main reason why they only allow him to use certain characters. Like Sonic Team just sits in a boardroom somewhere and comes up with ways to mess with Ian because he makes them "look incompetent".

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Heckboy said:

I was more asking if you honestly thought a corporation holds some kind of personal grudge against a semi-popular American comic book writer, and that's the main reason why they only allow him to use certain characters. Like Sonic Team just sits in a boardroom somewhere and comes up with ways to mess with Ian because he makes them "look incompetent".

Yeah I have to admit that is kind of a leap of logic. I love Ian but it's kinda strange people think Sega have something againsthim especially since they y'know hired him to write the Forces tie-in comic. 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Heckboy said:

That would be funny, but no I don’t really think that’s actually the reason why.

44 minutes ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

That would be funny, but no I don’t really think that’s actually the reason why.

Gotcha. It's hard to tell with this forum sometimes.

Aw I kinda wanted to see more of Infinte, I Find him more intreseting then Deadly Six that's for sure. I hope the ban Will be lifted.

Just floating this out there, but if Sega or someone at Sonic Team really had a problem with Flynn or were spearheading some secret agenda against him, then they could have very easily used the transition to IDW to oust the guy. There was nothing stopping them from leveraging the licensing deal with IDW big brass pushing the importance of hiring "new writing talent" or a "fresh perspective" and that would have all but been the nail in the dudes coffin.

Clearly they didn't do that - and Flynn was johnny on the spot to pick up the gig.

• Thumbs Up 4

Ian flynn is here because People want him. Ian flynn does not have perfect writing, sometimes he rushes, it doesn't seem like he's the best world builder, and his over arching story structuring may need some work. That said, what he does excel at is character to character dialog. Making these characters seem like they live in the same place and would talk to each other, making these characters feel alive. And sonic fans usually tend to endear themselves to the characters, they are the things that keep the ship afloat when stuff ain't looking to hot.

So a Guy who is really good and making characters good and exploring aspects of characters that don't get explored in game, takes off in a fanbase like this. And that's why he was requested so much.

If Sega wanted to get rid of him , they could have gotten rid of em. I don't think IDW would have fought them on that. They saw sonic is a valuable commodity and the rate in which this new book is selling proves that.

He's here because people want him here.

Now, that doesn't mean sega hasn't requested things or asked for stuff to be not included along with his editors that has messed some stuff. I believe this story changed twice, and I believe that issue 6 was not orginally about shadow.  That said , that's less some giant conspiracy to make ian look bad because again... they could just get rid of him, and more so conflicts of interests. He has two bosses they want shit and sometimes that results in some not great stuff especially limited to single books. You may think its satisfying to believe some grand conspiracy but in reality a lot of these things are conflicts of interest and time.

As a person who's bend on the reader end of the powers at be trying to sabotage some shit, you know that shit when you read it

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic twitter always promotes Sonic Mania Adventures and will release 5 remixes related to it. Meanwhile IDW Sonic got no mention since 9 months.

Why only promote the cartoon and not the comic?

At least promote the trade paperbacks that come less frequently than individual issues if they wanna restrict post numbers.

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

Sonic twitter always promotes Sonic Mania Adventures and will release 5 remixes related to it. Meanwhile IDW Sonic got no mention since 9 months.

Why only promote the cartoon and not the comic?

At least promote the trade paperbacks that come less frequently than individual issues if they wanna restrict post numbers.

Because the webtoon is something anyone can access and appreciate, whereas the comic is a case of "Oh yeah, we still have Sonic comics--just under a different publisher."

Also, didn't it sell out more than once initially?

I think its very silly to believe Sonic Team is somehow working together to bring Ian down or restricting him because he makes them, to look bad, Sonic Team member Yuji uekawa complimented Tangle and Whisper during an interview. which is I believe one of the first time in history for a Sonic Team member to compliment or talk about a character outside of the mainline games. Sonic Team was never too shy to say what they outright think, they were pretty dismissive of Sonic Boom. (it was just made to sell toys to American children according to them) then again silly conspiracies is nothing new in the Sonic/Comic world, there are a lot of people who believe Ian Flyn and the other writers have this deep hatred for the Freedom Fighters and therefore do not put them into IDW and that there lying about which characters they can use and it all depeneds on Ian's ''evil SegaSonicPurityonly agenda'' (yes there are fans who BELIEVE that) 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

12 minutes ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

I think its very silly to believe Sonic Team is somehow working together to bring Ian down or restricting him because he makes them, to look bad, Sonic Team member Yuji uekawa complimented Tangle and Whisper during an interview. which is I believe one of the first time in history for a Sonic Team member to compliment or talk about a character outside of the mainline games. Sonic Team was never too shy to say what they outright think, they were pretty dismissive of Sonic Boom. (it was just made to sell toys to American children according to them) then again silly conspiracies is nothing new in the Sonic/Comic world, there are a lot of people who believe Ian Flyn and the other writers have this deep hatred for the Freedom Fighters and therefore do not put them into IDW and that there lying about which characters they can use and it all depeneds on Ian's ''evil SegaSonicPurityonly agenda'' (yes there are fans who BELIEVE that) 

In the contrary I think Sonic Team is very satisfied with the comics, Iizuka loved Ian's pitch, and Uekawa did a cover and says he's a fan. The problem is that the official twitter doesn't post anything about the comic!

• Thumbs Up 2