Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

4 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

When the story comes out, it's free game...

Bash it to new heights.

Praise it to new lows.

We too busy being horrified by what the sonic movie may be

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

We too busy being horrified by what the sonic movie may be

And with that, we should also stop worrying about Team Sonic Racing’s Mr. Krabs-grade workmanship and Boom’s impending cancellation. 

Interesting to see about Tangle and Whisper getting a miniseries. I had a gut feeling Tangle was destined for greater things, but didn’t know she was dragging Whisper along for the ride! I wonder what the micro will be about?  To be fair, Whisper already obviously seemed like she was destined for greater things as well...

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I really hope this is a sign the license is close to gone, wasn’t this was Sonic went through before delisting?

(Apologies in advance for going off-topic again)

The stuff Sonic went through was a little different. Sonic continued to be promoted on the front page of the app all the way up to just a couple of months before IDW started, at which point all traces of the series vanished, no front page promotion, no hiding away via the search function, it’s gone.*

Mega Man was also being promoted alongside Sonic on the front page, and continued to stay there even after Sonic was taken down. After a while, though, Archie ultimately removed Mega Man from the front page, likely to make space for their new stuff. But, to this day, Mega Man isn’t gone from the app completely: any average user can still access the Mega Man library via the search function.

*discounting the weird oversight in which those who bought and downloaded Sonic issues when they were still available can not only still access them, but can even find their way into the old libraries by following the links.

1 hour ago, Rowl said:

If you ask me, they should actually focus way more on Sonic and his bunch of multi-rainbow-colored friends, instead of on focusing already on two brand new characters. 

Oh no, I don't mind them focusing on them a bit--I just believe you don't need to be giving them their own miniseries just yet.

1 hour ago, Miragnarok said:

I had a gut feeling Whisper was destined for greater things, but didn’t know she was dragging Tangle along for the ride! I wonder what the micro will be about? 

Fixed.

20 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

New covers

50902130_10217031681691451_457202996690850936312_10217031681731452_1628481925960

Woah, what the heck is going on with Rough and Starline there?

4 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

That's what im reading it as. Hopefully that doesnt make people hate em. Sometimes you push to hard and it falls off the table. More importantly though, mini series, cool hope they do others. The chaotix were built for this

People would only hate them , if they were having better treatment than canon characters , this is one of the reasons why some fans , disliked archie  . I actually would be mad if they are having mini-series , but canon characters not .  

Edited by Gumbit

40 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

New covers

50902130_10217031681691451_457202996690850936312_10217031681731452_1628481925960

Those covers look awesome and sick! (in a good way!. Jon Gray's touching details always looks amazing)

I am looking forward to the Mini series would love to know more about Tangle and Whisper. As a child I liked the Knuckles/Tails Mini series too but found Sally's mini series to be boring. (manly because Sally isn't even in the issues all that much and she is forced into the background )

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Woah, what the heck is going on with Rough and Starline there?

I think it's just Jon Gray adding a little flare. 

1 hour ago, Gumbit said:

People would only hate them , if they were having better treatment than canon characters , this is one of the reasons why some fans , disliked archie  . I actually would be mad if they are having mini-series , but canon characters not .  

If anything, this is what Archie should have done, giving the FFs a mini series instead of making them protagonists in the main book where people would have wanted to see more of the canon characters. If people dislike Tangle and Whisper, they can just avoid their comic book.

Just now, Jack the Shadow said:

If anything, this is what Archie should have done, giving the FFs a mini series instead of making them protagonists in the main book where people would have wanted to see more of the canon characters. 

Like Meliden pointed out, SEGA had developed a tighter grip on what Archie could actually do at the time and while they did occasionally make exceptions for characters like Sally and Scourge, they preferred keeping things game character friendly on the surface.

1 minute ago, Jack the Shadow said:

If people dislike Tangle and Whisper, they can just avoid their comic book.

I was gonna satire the hell out of the dissent that notion would get, but I'm lazy.

27 minutes ago, Jack the Shadow said:

That's my fear

6 hours ago, Jack the Shadow said:

New solicits are out.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/01/25/idw-april-2019-solicits-launches-dick-tracy-forever-1-by-michael-avon-oeming/

They reveal a new miniseries coming this summer about Tangle and Whisper! It's a surprise that comic exclusive characters get their own stories honestly. They are THAT popular.

Didn't expect that. Cool! This could help to flesh them out.

1 hour ago, Jack the Shadow said:

If anything, this is what Archie should have done, giving the FFs a mini series instead of making them protagonists in the main book where people would have wanted to see more of the canon characters. If people dislike Tangle and Whisper, they can just avoid their comic book.

Are you suggesting segregating the characters entirely to a side book? Because that would have been disastrous circa Archie (and is still kind of a bad idea for the current comics, fortunately I doubt that's what they're doing). Long-time fans were the main ones buying the book still and that would have alienated them a lot, especially when the reboot and everything that came with it--even if it stuff that wasn't at all the fault of the book's actual creative team--already alienated some people.

Now you could say that more or less removing the "non-game characters" would attract more readers who weren't a fan of them. Except there's no guarantee of that, especially with a comic that was 200 issues in and not hiding that fact. Even when the comic was sincerely improving as Ian's era continued, I don't remember seeing many people who had hated the book willing to give it another chance.

• Thumbs Up 7

I wouldn't be surprised if one factor in the Tangle/Whisper miniseries is that, as comic-original characters, there's likely a great deal more creative freedom in what can be done with them.  They aren't hidebound by any history in the games.

52 minutes ago, Jack the Shadow said:

That's something you should avoid saying if at all possible. Because I believe that telling people to avoid something that they're most likely going to dislike is wrong. And that they should read anyway and complain about it anyway if they do dislike it. They'll probably nitpick. But on a optimistic side, they might like it. Maybe they might offer some valid criticism if they do dislike it. So therefore telling people they should avoid something they might not like is the most foolish of foolish things.

And there you go.

2 hours ago, Gumbit said:

Better treatment than the canon characters? That was never true to begin with. Some people either disliked the group focus of the FF as an organization, or just straight up disliked the FF and comic exclusive characters sharing focus with the game cast who they think should have stood over them even more than they already did.

And honestly, what’s going on here doesn’t look too different: it’s IDW’s version of Sonic Universe focusing on other cast of characters, which I find a bit funny that the first ones to get it are the comic exclusives. And like Archie before it, that’s not a bad thing.

To be absolutely honest, I'd kind of get why Archie fans are somewhat displeased if that was the case, mainly because the Universe arc right before the comic got the big middle finger "fuck you" from Archie and/or SEGA was meant to be a arc where we get to delve proper into the Freedom Fighters' new motivations and backstories, and really get to learn some more about them in a quieter setting, and on top of that, was meant to have a few fun dynamics like Bunnie and Blaze working together. 

So, in that regard, it's kind of a huge sting that the first major mini-series is going to be something quite similar, only for Tangle and Whisper. I don't really mind either way, but it's interesting food for thought.

• Thumbs Up 4

From Archie's position, trying to make books for game purists would be a waste of time. I think back to the mini-controversy when this book was revealed to start off of the heels of Forces and I realize maybe it'd be better to go with your gut while keeping the audience that actually sticks around your stuff a priority. There are just some people who are going to find a reason to take shots at the book and make excuses to keep avoiding reading it no matter what you do. The IDW series proves that the Sonic series is a success without the archie cast but I'm sure everyone involved would like to keep those people buying the books as well if they could. 

I'm all for a Tangle and Whisper mini series. Being a Sonic fan I know everything I could want to know about the canon characters but I know almost nothing about them and I'm eager to learn more. 

• Thumbs Up 5

2 hours ago, Gumbit said:

People hated most of the archie characters because they weren't written really well and had terrible boring designs. There is a  difference between  Whisper and Tommy Turtle. Mina Mongoose for example was rather well received. 

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, kimplix said:

Just noticed for how the RI's art changed for Rough and Tumble's expressions while covers are being released today

Probably so Rough looks less like a Lion King hyena.

But for real, though, that's great. It animates!

I'm pretty surprised Tangle and Whisper are getting a mini just a year in. I'm actually kinda glad they didn't lead this the TMNT way with the initial mini-series being about the four Turtles before finally getting to what's really interesting with the supporting cast and what's actually new and different about that incarnation (Splinter and Turtles' reincarnation, Casey's home life and why he does vigilante stuff, etc.). It's the kind of thing that makes me wish Sonic Universe was re-ordered before cancellation so we could have seen the Freedom Fighter story first instead of another Chaotix story, but oh well. I think this will be a nice way of really setting the identity for this continuity so I'll pick it up when it's collected.

• Thumbs Up 5

32 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

That's something you should avoid saying if at all possible. Because I believe that telling people to avoid something that they're most likely going to dislike is wrong. And that they should read anyway and complain about it anyway if they do dislike it. They'll probably nitpick. But on a optimistic side, they might like it. Maybe they might offer some valid criticism if they do dislike it. So therefore telling people they should avoid something they might not like is the most foolish of foolish things.

And there you go.

I don't care what people do, it's their taste not mine, they can torture themselves and read a comic even if they dislike those characters. I just don't understand why would people do it.

And I never said I want comic characters to be "segregated" into a side book, did I? I just said that the Freedom Fighters were rather intrusive in the Archie series, the main book can barely carry Sonic's adventures, comic characters can fit in but not as protagonists and/or appearing in every issue. I mean, only Sonic is appearing regularly right now. And I believe that is what happened with Tangle and Whisper, as side characters they did not feel intrusive at all. Now that I have been introduced to them, I care and I want to see their story unfold and a side book is the perfect opportunity for that.

Them there is also the fact that Tangle and Whisper feel like actual Sonic characters, part of Sonic's universe, they fit more than the FFs and that's why I want to see more of them.

• Thumbs Up 1