Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

12 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I think he's trying to say that because Sally's RingBlades are a somewhat offbeat concept for the games, that the hardcore fans wouldn't like it as much as Tangle's elastic tail.

I still don’t see how that makes sense, and I consider myself a hardcore fan...

14 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Rings have on rare occasion been used in the games to power stuff (which is what most media other than the games tends to emphasize, since the main thing they're known for in the games is awkward as anything other than a game mechanic), re-purposing some to make an energy weapon is...not that much of a stretch? I don't really understand this argument lol.

It was more of an "i prefer this thing over this thing" than an actual argument

2 minutes ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

I still don’t see how that makes sense...

It's a opinionated preference, you don't have to make sense of it.

51 minutes ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Dio, that is ridiculous and you know it.

I’m not engaging it something so petty when at this point it’s clear this isn’t about the rings making blades.

Knock this antagonizing bullshit off. If you can't engage in a discussion with someone without bringing up your personal gripes with them, then try not to bother.

6 minutes ago, Sean said:

Knock this antagonizing bullshit off. If you can't engage in a discussion with someone without bringing up your personal gripes with them, then try not to bother.

How is it a personal gripe towards someone after pointing out dozens of different things rings have done, and calling out the one thing they haven’t done in the games said to somehow fits less as petty?

7 minutes ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

How is it a personal gripe towards someone after pointing out dozens of different things rings have done, and calling out the one thing they haven’t done in the games said to somehow fits less as petty?

I don't care what you have to say about the other person or what the argument is about, because you were being rude and hostile regardless of what the other person was saying, which is what I'm putting a stop to because I otherwise don't have the will to engage in these playground arguments you instigate.

• Thumbs Up 7

6 minutes ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

You can call people out on their shit without calling people out on their shit.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Zaysho said:

It's the kind of thing that makes me wish Sonic Universe was re-ordered before cancellation so we could have seen the Freedom Fighter story first instead of another Chaotix story, but oh well. I think this will be a nice way of really setting the identity for this continuity so I'll pick it up when it's collected.

That actually worked out for the best when it came to someone like me though. As someone who doesn't care too much for the Freedom Fighters but loves the Chaotix, having the final SU be something that focused on them kind of felt like a bit of a close call situation. Like "Boy, if they had reversed those, I'd have been screwed!" 

Granted, I did get the Great Chaos Caper before that. It had Knuckles in it, sure, but it still felt like a genuine "Chaotix goes on a mission" story despite that. At least it wasn't another "Chaotix Quest" where they're all over the covers but it's actually about Mighty the Mucus and his dumb palette swap sister. 

But now that mini series are apparently a thing, there's a chance we could get a ton of stuff for the cast acting within their own elements again. If Tangle and Whisper can get one without even being official Sonic characters, I'd imagine the door is open for the others without popularity being TOO much of a restrictive factor this time. We might not get 5 Shadow and Knuckles stories every other arc this time.

That's an exaggeration but... still. 

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

That actually worked out for the best when it came to someone like me though. As someone who doesn't care too much for the Freedom Fighters but loves the Chaotix, having the final SU be something that focused on them kind of felt like a bit of a close call situation. Like "Boy, if they had reversed those, I'd have been screwed!" 

Granted, I did get the Great Chaos Caper before that. It had Knuckles in it, sure, but it still felt like a genuine "Chaotix goes on a mission" story despite that. At least it wasn't another "Chaotix Quest" where they're all over the covers but it's actually about Mighty the Mucus and his dumb palette swap sister. 

But now that mini series are apparently a thing, there's a chance we could get a ton of stuff for the cast acting within their own elements again. If Tangle and Whisper can get one without even being official Sonic characters, I'd imagine the door is open for the others without popularity being TOO much of a restrictive factor this time. We might not get 5 Shadow and Knuckles stories every other arc this time.

With the flowery language used, I still think it will probably be popularity based. The people on the IDW side seem like they want their characters to be pushed to hard. " The most beloved " there's intent in that language to sell you on some characters.

As for shadow and Knuckles, its exaggeration. And the chaotix showed up in thier fair share of stuff

12 minutes ago, Ziggyfin said:

Hey guys! Here's a logo-less version of Jon's and my cover for #14!

idw_sonic_the_hedgehog__14_cover_b_colou

You worked on this? Sweet!

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

With the flowery language used, I still think it will probably be popularity based. The people on the IDW side seem like they want their characters to be pushed to hard. " The most beloved " there's intent in that language to sell you on some characters.

As for shadow and Knuckles, its exaggeration. And the chaotix showed up in thier fair share of stuff

Its not like I pointed out that was an exaggeration or that the Chaotix showed up in their fair share of stuff. I totally needed to be told back what I just said.

The redundancy of the Shadow and Knuckles arcs we kept getting wasn't pointed out to be some sort of masked hatred of the fact that they were clearly more favorited. Its just something that was hard not to notice considering how little some of the others tended to get their own focus in SU arcs. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Its not like I pointed out that was an exaggeration or that the Chaotix showed up in their fair share of stuff. I totally needed to be told back what I just said.

The redundancy of the Shadow and Knuckles arcs we kept getting wasn't pointed out to be some sort of masked hatred of the fact that they were clearly more favorited. Its just something that was hard not to notice considering how little some of the others tended to get their own focus in SU arcs. 

I'm gonna chalk this up as " I" m bias as shit and not seeing it because I don't really think knuckles and shadow got that much , but I like both those characters so i'm not really seeing it"

15 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

New covers

50902130_10217031681691451_457202996690850936312_10217031681731452_1628481925960

I love Jon Grey's cover. And I see we have a new colorist too!

Black and White version too:

DxylDqpWkAARYWG?format=jpg&name=large

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm not changing my opinion, Tangle and Whisper are great, they fit even the gameplay of the Sonic series, they feel a natural addition, although I think that the rebooted Freedom Fighters were also good in their Segafied version, in fact it's my favorite version of them. The other reason I prefer T & W is because they are just side characters in the main book. In fact I didn't mind the Sally miniseries or Universe arc with Nicole, I just didn't want them in every issue of the main comic. So a miniseries is the perfect way to explore and develop these new characters, I'm interested because T & W won't have any restrictions that main game characters have, so more personal stories and no mandates hopefully. If Sega let SatAM characters in the new book... OK, I'll welcome them. But as side guest characters, not as protagonists as much as Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

TBH, many of us that want them back want them as side-character that are their own groups (like the Chaotix, for instace) more than being the "gang of Sonic" like before, and I don't think that the "they would steal the show" is a real problem that would happen with the current direction of IDW.

The problem with the whole "these characters fits" debate is that it isn't based on actual rules but more on feelings created by our interactions with the franchise. Even the "basic rules" that we could imagine are full of exceptions. I mean, a name based on an English World + "the Animal" ? Miles "Tails" Prower, Amy Rose, Charmy Bee, Tikal and Pachacamac. The biggest rules that I can imagine is "anthro character have design made mainly of simple shapes and strong colors". But most of our sentiment of what fits will come for what we already have accepted as part of the universe.

Personally, I didn't got the feeling of "this character don't fit" for a new (or redesigned) character in nearly any media since 2006. The only time when I got this feeling was in Boom when some design was quite weird.

And I must admit that I'm not 100% fond of the idea of basing a comic-book character around a "gameplay" gimmick, to be frank. Yeah, it's fun in principle, but I also feel that a comic book is it's own media, not a game.  But that doesn't mean that characters based around that will be bad : Tangle and Whisper have interesting ideas around more that just this, I really like them and feel that they are great character.

And about Tangle and Whisper having their own mini-series ? I'm really happy, because I'm happy that this series won't fall in the "official character only are really important" (which was something I was a bit afraid about, even with Whisper sub-plot). I really hope that IDW will make more of these, because it have a lot of potential. I'm really interested by Year 2, because they have original idea (the "virus" idea is really interesting, we get an interesting new villiain)…

Continuing from my last post... The FFs had 20 years of stories about them, and it was fine because the book started with them as a SatAM comic, so... But to be honest most of those stories sucked because of the old writers, the Ian era was great though. If they are still popular (and they are), maybe they should be brought back. But I'm still not a SatAM fan so I don't like them. This comic should be about Sonic as the main character, I believe. It's also Tangle and Whisper's time to explore their story which hasn't been told yet, unlike the FFs.

5 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

I'm gonna chalk this up as " I" m bias as shit and not seeing it because I don't really think knuckles and shadow got that much , but I like both those characters so i'm not really seeing it"

Post-reboot they had an entire trilogy of Universe Arcs and were also the main characters of the Shattered Arc. So they had 4 post-reboot. 

Pre-reboot Shadow started off Universe then appeared in Treasure Team Tango and Knuckles had a single arc. So 7 total.

To say nothing of how Knuckles took the majority of the focus in the Penders days and Shadow had an ongoing story in the main book off and on starting with his return in #124.

So yeah they got a pretty lengthy amount of focus in Archie. 

Knuckles got way more focus in the Ian era too, both pre and post reboot. He's like the one character I hope we don't revisit that often at the start of IDW. 

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, VEDJ-F said:

Knuckles got way more focus in the Ian era too, both pre and post reboot. He's like the one character I hope we don't revisit that often at the start of IDW. 

Oh, yeah. I mean in general Archie Knuckles got a way more spotlight than most characters. 

10 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

I mean, yeah, that's how some of ya'll posts come across here, but I don't think that's one of them.

8 hours ago, Jack the Shadow said:

I'm not changing my opinion, Tangle and Whisper are great, they fit even the gameplay of the Sonic series, they feel a natural addition, although I think that the rebooted Freedom Fighters were also good in their Segafied version, in fact it's my favorite version of them. If Sega let SatAM characters in the new book... OK, I'll welcome them. But as side guest characters, not as protagonists as much as Sonic.

8 hours ago, Kazhnuz said:

TBH, many of us that want them back want them as side-character that are their own groups (like the Chaotix, for instace) more than being the "gang of Sonic" like before, and I don't think that the "they would steal the show" is a real problem that would happen with the current direction of IDW.

Same.

The Reboot was already setting the stage for that, particularly with the game-centric backstory, and the main reasons they were around so much during the Shattered World Crisis came down to be reestablishing them as well as the new world and the built in convenience. The issues that would've come out once that was finally done were definitely shaping up to distance them further, but alas.

8 hours ago, Kazhnuz said:

The problem with the whole "these characters fits" debate is that it isn't based on actual rules but more on feelings created by our interactions with the franchise. Even the "basic rules" that we could imagine are full of exceptions. I mean, a name based on an English World + "the Animal" ? Miles "Tails" Prower, Amy Rose, Charmy Bee, Tikal and Pachacamac. The biggest rules that I can imagine is "anthro character have design made mainly of simple shapes and strong colors". But most of our sentiment of what fits will come for what we already have accepted as part of the universe.

Personally, I didn't got the feeling of "this character don't fit" for a new (or redesigned) character in nearly any media since 2006. The only time when I got this feeling was in Boom when some design was quite weird.

And I must admit that I'm not 100% fond of the idea of basing a comic-book character around a "gameplay" gimmick, to be frank. Yeah, it's fun in principle, but I also feel that a comic book is it's own media, not a game.  But that doesn't mean that characters based around that will be bad : Tangle and Whisper have interesting ideas around more that just this, I really like them and feel that they are great character.

Yeah, it's neat when it happens, but not every character is or needs to be that.

Amy is the main example of that gamewise. In fact, the only characters who were explicitly designed with gameplay in mind are Cream&Cheese, the Werehog, and the Babylon Rogues and even that isn't completely hard fast.

17 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

We might not get 5 Shadow and Knuckles stories every other arc this time.

10 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

5 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Post-reboot they had an entire trilogy of Universe Arcs and were also the main characters of the Shattered Arc. So they had 4 post-reboot. 

Pre-reboot Shadow started off Universe then appeared in Treasure Team Tango and Knuckles had a single arc. So 7 total.

To say nothing of how Knuckles took the majority of the focus in the Penders days and Shadow had an ongoing story in the main book off and on starting with his return in #124.

4 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

To be fair, Preboot Knuckles was a mix of continuing with the trend of what came before, but not without seriously reigning it in so that the Sonic main book would be further freed up and so other characters can take the focus through Universe. 

Granted, there was indeed intended to be a Knuckles Universe arc every year or so, hence the offpanel jokes about Knuckles wanting screentime, but that obviously didn't happen for a number of reasons. Which, of course, led to a number of stories getting pushed back, getting altered, and ultimately going unreleased.

As for post reboot, yeah, there were a lot and that's partly because of him and Shadow being in the big 6. There were storylines to set up and tell with them during and sometime after the Shattered World Crisis, which ended up going on longer than planned in itself. And once again, that was changing as the Unleashed adaptation ended, but you know.

Ignoring any bias; Knuckles and Shadow blatantly get the most focus besides Sonic, so I would say who gets an arc is definitely based around popularity.

Even in latest arc of this reboot, its specifically Sonic, Knuckles and Shadow that get the focus covers and are the primary ones who fought Neo Metal Sonic.

And of course, you wanna focus on the characters people want to see and have the most story potential.

Glad they're focusing on the new characters who should be fleshed out right now, but I'm certain there are still going to be a lot of Knuckles and Shadow arcs in the future.

• Thumbs Up 3

6 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Shadow had less story focus on himself and basically centered his arc narrative with his team as a whole. Shadow never really gets his own self development and grows organically without hope and his team, unlike knuckles who had more self progressive character development and had more angsty loner moments than Shadow.

Ian somehow believes Shadow can't carry his own self contained story without the other characters who contrast him for some reason thus making him more a bore to invest in his own perspective.

52 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Ignoring any bias; Knuckles and Shadow blatantly get the most focus besides Sonic, so I would say who gets an arc is definitely based around popularity.

Even in latest arc of this reboot, its specifically Sonic, Knuckles and Shadow that get the focus covers and are the primary ones who fought Neo Metal Sonic.

And of course, you wanna focus on the characters people want to see and have the most story potential.

Glad they're focusing on the new characters who should be fleshed out right now, but I'm certain there are still going to be a lot of Knuckles and Shadow arcs in the future.

Shadow still shares his own focus with the other star heroes, so no, he technically doesn't get that much focus since he is less considered taking the staring role without rouge, sonic and knuckles. He can't even stop characters that tie to him alone anymore with help or assistance from either his team or sonic and friends.

Sonic is somehow gonna be more emphasized than Shadow as a main driving story character, so Shadow may never truly shine in the series by himself.

Shadow only gets three focus covers Knux gets 8 btw.